New photograph of purported 'iPhone 6' tooling suggests device with 4.7" display

Comments

• Reply 41 of 68
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    rogifan wrote: »
    All they did was take the 5 display and stretch it to fit this "mold" which no one even knows if it really is a mold or if it has anything to do with the new iPhone for that matter.

My guess is it's not since it's not 16:9.
  • Reply 42 of 68
    rolyroly Posts: 74member
    The innovation will be in the manufacturing process. The device will be borderless, which means, it will still fit nicely in your hand, and with a sapphire glass screen, it will look and feel very valuable and advanced.

It can't be 100% border less as they still need to fit the home button somewhere on there.

Also, sapphire isn't glass. It's sapphire. I'm not sure you can say sapphire glass. Isn't that like saying diamond glass, or paper metal?
  • Reply 43 of 68

Technically, you don't need a button and Apple has patented a video camera capability via the display.  With Laser cut holes they can put an ear speaker behind the display as well.  

As far as glass goes, that's interesting, I think the general meaning of glass is how the molecules line up.  So maybe Diamonds and Sapphire are a form of glass?

• Reply 44 of 68
    nickgknickgk Posts: 1member
    I'm betting that there will be more to the iPhone 6 than a larger screen. Image stabilized camera, sapphire screen, Touch ID over the whole screen, A8 processor, IOS 8 goodies. As a package, it will be irresistible to millions. Multiple small innovations can add up to something BIG. All that said, a *slightly* larger screen could be good. Using more of the front bezel area is an obvious good choice. On top of that we'll see what they have up their sleeve...
  • Reply 45 of 68
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Roly View Post

It can't be 100% border less as they still need to fit the home button somewhere on there.

Also, sapphire isn't glass. It's sapphire. I'm not sure you can say sapphire glass. Isn't that like saying diamond glass, or paper metal?

Casual definition of glass.  A clear panel used in windows and other products.  No, sapphire is not amorphous (its crystalline in structure), no it's not make of silica, but for all intents and purposes in this conversation it seems reasonable to use the term sapphire glass.

• Reply 46 of 68

Pretty sure that's not going to be the iPhone 6. A 4.7" display with 2011 bezels and 9mm taller than a Moto X, making the top right area unreachable without 2 hands? I think that's giving Apple's hardware team no credit at all. 

I don't expect bezel-less as that's not realistic in this gen, and I do expect the physical home button to house the Touch ID scanner as well as keep usability continuity. However, cannot be a production mold, more likely a test/prototype mold. 

• Reply 47 of 68
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator

Apple needs, or, more accurately, takes advantage of, Samsung, the Android ecosystem, and, to a lesser extent Microsoft/Nokia and the Windows model, to reflect Apple's constantly changing state in a coevolutionary dance where Apple's adversaries are forced to test the waters of new forms that might be viable but are not yet profitable.  This is currently represented in the many different screen sizes offered by the competition but has played out at other times, both large and small.

Apple allowed others to jump aboard the 4G buildout, jumping aboard itself only when 4G stabilized around the LTE standard.  Others spent evolutionary cycles in efforts akin to purchasing pre-construction from an insolvent builder.  Once the world coalesced around a stable set of standards with critical mass that ensured uptake and lowered costs for all players, Apple added 4G support in their products.

Apple allowed others to experiment with smaller tablet form factors, while criticizing the whole notion.  Once the competition proved the viability of a market, Apple took action, entering with a strong offering that supported Apple's existing app ecosystem, provided a larger display than the competing small tablets, and maintained the full-size iPad's more practical aspect ratio.

Apple allowed others to experiment with larger smartphone displays.  The introduction of the iPhone 5 borrowed from what Apple learned and changed the aspect ratio to the 16:9 aspect ratio utilized in HD video and shown as successful in many of the existing large screen smartphones.  This also allowed Apple to increase the size of the display in a nod to the greater utility of a larger display, while maintaining the width of the handset that allows effective single-handed use and trumpeting this over the competition.  Apple has a habit of downplaying the competition’s advantages before co-opting them.  

In zero-sum games you always try to hide your strategy.  But in nonzero-sum games you might want to announce your strategy in public so the other players need to adapt to it.

Is Apple playing a zero-sum game against Samsung?  Not quite.  Apple selectively allows other players in on its plans, and it clearly cannot hide what it's been doing once it introduces a new iPhone or iPad.  Apple lets the competition know certain information ahead of time.  For example, who doesn't know that a new iPhone will be introduced in September?  By being consistent in its iPhone release schedule, Apple influences Samsung.  Samsung knows its semiconductor/displays/memory sales will get a surge in revenues coincident with Apple's release, and it knows to set its own annual release far enough offset in the calendar with Apple's to allow itself time to mimic any new capabilities it wants from each new iPhone introduction.  Apple takes advantage by keeping Samsung hooked on iPhone component revenues, just enough and only until Apple no longer needs Sammy in this respect, and also takes advantage by picking the better date on the calendar for its iPhone and iPad refreshes.  Coevolution among these two competitors allows Apple to both choose the music and lead the dance.

• Reply 48 of 68
    Oh my... Did it ever occur to the author that we're looking at an image of an iPhone 5 mold with an iPhone 5 photoshopped in next to it, reduced in scale? Looks like the smaller iPhone has magical anti-gravity properties!

I mean, c'mon, Apple rumors are reaching a new level of ridiculousness! Can we at least try to apply common sense before publishing fake photos from China?
  • Reply 49 of 68
    @minicakes

i am an idiot. i am an average person. i do not know what a mold looks like. but to me that looks like it could be a mold or a dye for a aluminum stamping machine.
  • Reply 50 of 68

@ pazuzu 

that would be cool just change the firmware to accept "phone" sims 

• Reply 51 of 68
    moreckmoreck Posts: 187member
    undefined
  • Reply 52 of 68
    Oh my... Did it ever occur to the author that we're looking at an image of an iPhone 5 mold with an iPhone 5 photoshopped in next to it, reduced in scale? Looks like the smaller iPhone has magical anti-gravity properties!

I mean, c'mon, Apple rumors are reaching a new level of ridiculousness! Can we at least try to apply common sense before publishing fake photos from China?

It's an iPhone 4S in the photo.
  • Reply 53 of 68

You're right about the 4S, I stand corrected... 

I wouldn't call it a photo, however, I would call it an obviously Photoshopped image... :)

• Reply 54 of 68
    You're right about the 4S, I stand corrected... 
    I wouldn't call it a photo, however, I would call it an obviously Photoshopped image... :)

There's no disputing that. But superimposing the iPhone 5 on top of the molding was a little misleading. That's no better than people who stretch the iPhone 5 into a bigger graphic and assume that's what the iPhone 6 will look like. The molding is information enough. No need to project an iPhone 5 on top of it to "complete" the picture. We still don't know what it will look like (exactly), and there are questions about the screen size left unanswered.
  • Reply 55 of 68
    desuserigndesuserign Posts: 1,316member

O.K.

My guess is that its a tool for making the second shot of a double shot molding of a soft plastic, protective case for some mobile device [which is not necessarily  an iPhone.] The person who took the picture is just some worker in asia trying to make an extra buck selling a photo of a "secret iPhone manufacturing tool"

I'm no expert on injection molding tools, but what I see as tip-offs are:

• 1-up tool [low volume production]

• The plethora of holes [for part ejection fingers?] --> injection molding.

• The large size –bigger than an iPhone and probably for a protective case.

• The surprisingly poor finish on the interior of the mold says low end [this still bothers me even for a cover—is the interior yet to be textured?] This, with the holes, are what make me speculate that it may be for the lower durometer second shot on the interior of a harder case. The detail and quality finishing would be on the other half of the mold.

• Reply 56 of 68
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Current phone is 123.8 x 58.6 so this one looks to be 15mm taller and 5.5mm wider. For me, that's too large, and therefore hope they will keep a 4" screen sized iPhone should they releaser a larger display one.

Thank you.

My iPhone 5s with the bumper is 129mm x 64mm and it's okay for one hand use. So stop the BS because this one is virtually the same as 5s with bumper, but 10mm longer. Sure 11mm longer is too much for your pocket, than you should buy new pants.

• Reply 57 of 68

Agreed!

• Reply 58 of 68
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Has anyone, uh… pointed out that THIS could be the depression that forms the new iPhone?

• Reply 59 of 68
    desuserigndesuserign Posts: 1,316member

Why . . . no. I don't think anyone has thought of that. You mean,  it could be a forming tool?

/s

What **are** you on about?

And BTW, are you really the same guy as "Tallest Skill" from previous days? The one who was a "moderator?

No offense intended, but you just don't seems as smart or funny as before. [perhaps I should just say you seem different?]

Did your responsibilities as a moderator make you sharper?

Has shucking your moderating activity caused you to go to seed?

Or are you someone else who highjacked the [slightly altered] "Tallest Skil[l]" handle while the real one is on a long sabbatical?

Just curious.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Has anyone, uh… pointed out that THIS could be the depression that forms the new iPhone?

• Reply 60 of 68
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by DESuserIGN View Post

Why . . . no. I don't think anyone has thought of that.

Mind pointing to a post in the thread where it was, then?

perhaps I should just say you seem different?

Six years of non-functioning memory would probably do that to a person. :p