Samsung braced for "iPhone 5 Tsunami," targeted an "attack" on Apple's customer base

Comments

• Reply 61 of 107
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,843moderator
    chandra69 wrote: »
    I want to see Apple ads again like ... Hi I'm Mac. I 'm a PC.

Hi, I'm an iPhone.

I'm a whole Galaxy!

Really, a whole galaxy. That's impressive.

Yes, it is. I'm quite large, you know.

I see that, Galaxy. Good for you.

It is good for me. Not so good for you. You're a puny iPhone.

Well actually, Galaxy, I'm the same size as you, only smaller. And thinner.

So you are. I didn't see that coming.

Maybe you need a bigger camera.
  • Reply 62 of 107
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

It doesn't really matter anyway,

Thank you for updating the thread. I'm glad that someone actually came to their senses about that.

• Reply 63 of 107
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    People need to grow a thicker skin, if you ask me. 

You just insulted everyone with acanthosis nigricans and scleroderma¡ (Only two diseases I could find that can cause a thickening of the skin, in case my comment was too obscure)
  • Reply 64 of 107
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    Still I wish that Apple would change up their release schedule to make it a little less predictable. If they always release in September/October then competitors clearly know when to ramp up the anti-Apple PR machine.
  • Reply 65 of 107
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    I agree with that assessment but if it was 22.3, 50 or 150 years ago how does that make it any better? It really doesn't except that we choose to let our emotions get the better of us because it's directly more meaningful to us. For that reason I agree that it wasn't a good choice for a mockup but it still strikes me as highly irrational to get upset over when the intention of the author is clear.

Something that happened long ago isn't going to get the same emotional response. Is it any better? No but it will be more accepted. We could be told over and over that something devastating happen but without visual verification our mind still doubts it thus no to little emotional response if mocked.
  • Reply 66 of 107
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post

This whole argument/debate is ridiculous. If the word was used in its Western form, tidal wave, no one would be saying a word. To me, it all boils down to intent. It's no one else's problem but the person that takes it in a way that reminds themselves of a devastating disaster. If each of us related a term or word to a certain incident in our respective lives, no words or descriptions could be used to color an otherwise sterile, boring courtroom drama. 

Did the author intend to relate Samsung's word or term describing what the release of a new iPhone does to the tech world…..to a natural disaster??? No.

Hypothetically, should I get bent out of shape and pissed off if DED used the term "quaking in their boots" when describing Samsung's reaction to the impending release of the larger iPhone 6….just because I lost a relative in an earthquake?

People need to grow a thicker skin, if you ask me. 

Yeah, I don't believe for a second gthe people pretending to be outraged were actually, honestly emotionally upset when they saw the photo. More than likely it was an excuse for them to get all self-righteous so they can feel good about themselves. Sure, may not have been the best option for a photo, but people calling the author a "despicable scumbag", really? The intent of the photo was clear. Obviously, he googled "tsunami" and used the first thing that popped up. Anyone with half a braincell could tell there was no malicious intent. The photo did not negatively affect anyone's life in any way whatsoever. The reactions are all obviously fake, meant to attack the author as a political tool in order to discredit the article.

To those people: Grow the **** up. There's better things you can pretend to be outraged about, that would actually do the world some good. 

• Reply 67 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

The reactions are all obviously fake, meant to attack the author as a political tool in order to discredit the article.

To those people: Grow the **** up. 

Totally disagree. I don't think any of the complaints had anything to do with attacking the author. The image was disgraceful. I'm glad they swapped it out. Good move on their part.

• Reply 68 of 107
    eric38eric38 Posts: 100member
    Interesting that Samsung points out only one weakness when it comes to the iPhone....size. Lol

In 5 months, they are gonna really be hurting. I know this is anecdotal, but I have a relative that works at an Apple store. Over a year, I've been in that store for a total of around 4 hours. In only 4 hours I've seen no less than a dozen people (usually women) that were upgrading to a new phone. And 11 out of 12 of these customers were torn between an iPhone an an S4. In 9 of those 11 cases, the customer chose the S4 because they couldn't get over the screen size difference. Apple's 4-inch screen was just too small. It was astonishing that so many customers cared about the bigger screen.

I think Apple will grow iPhone sales 25% yoy with the release of a 2 large-screened iPhones. I just hope they are smart enough to see that they need to keep the 4" size and then see how the market adjusts over a year or 2. Personally, I'd like to see a 4.3" iPhone with significantly reduced bezels supplant the 4" in the future. There still is a quarter of the population that prefers a smaller phone.
  • Reply 69 of 107
    Well said.
  • Reply 70 of 107
    dunks wrote: »
    Still I wish that Apple would change up their release schedule to make it a little less predictable. If they always release in September/October then competitors clearly know when to ramp up the anti-Apple PR machine.

I agree. They should release a new 4" every year, then 4 months later release a new 4.7", and then release their updated phablet. 3 new phones in a year, or at the minimum 2. I'd release the 4.7" in the Xmas qtr.
  • Reply 71 of 107
    dickprinterdickprinter Posts: 1,060member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

You just insulted everyone with acanthosis nigricans and scleroderma¡ (Only two diseases I could find that can cause a thickening of the skin, in case my comment was too obscure)

You know what? Now you just insulted and pissed me off by implying that my IQ is so low that I would not know what those skin diseases are…. and/or….even if I didn't (and I didn't, BTW) that I'm incapable of a simple search using Bing¡

How dare you, sir¡ :D And besides, you completely grossed me out! 

PS: I'm simple…and a DiY-er. I was thinking more on the lines of callous. ;) 

• Reply 72 of 107
    mstone wrote: »
    No one ever died because of a marketing campaign.
    Try searching the web for "Black Friday deaths" and rethink that statement.
  • Reply 73 of 107
    revenant wrote: »
    I am currently living in Korea- and I saw a few 4s and 5 phones around, maybe 1/4. Right now though, the gold iPhone 5s seems to be gaining all sorts of ground. Mind you, samsung still has the larger footprint. But it is interesting for me to see how my friends (all Korean, no expats from any other country) are switching to iPhone. They are quite upset about the 'slush' fund that was brought up around 2010-2011, and the way the company tries to throw money at health problems so as to avoid being reported.

Koreans love all things Korean- most patriotic people i have met so far- but they love Korean people more than Korean companies with shady practices. It is starting to change. The 5s cost the same as the galaxy5 here in Seoul. My friends who have not left Samsung say they either want Tizen, or an iPhone with a larger screen. (age group 26-36)

Pent-up demand for a larger-screened iPhone is hard to calculate. Many people are chomping at the bit, especially loyalists that have stuck with iPhone for 3 years waiting for them to release a bigger phone. I think the demand is much much more than most people realize. I would be awfully surprised if Apple didn't sell 75 million iPhones this Xmas quarter.
  • Reply 74 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

And again, there's the whole natural event VS political and man caused events.

Completely wrong. Whether there is a natural disaster, war, genocide, disease  or whatever, learning of a human catastrophe in a remote land should have an emotional impact on NORMAL people even if it does not immediately affect them in their location. Otherwise, we really are reduced to survival of the fittest.

• Reply 75 of 107
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    creep wrote: »
    I actually wouldn't be ok with it, which is why I used that example to make my point.  I have a feeling you know that but are just being obtuse, in which case, hakuna matata.   

Oh dear, I didn't think people would talk about my comment so much. Odd that I thought about the same comparison with 9/11, both being traumatic events for a lot of people.

Sorry for having derailed the discussion. The image is changed, back to the subject people! :)
  • Reply 76 of 107
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

Oh dear, I didn't think people would talk about my comment so much. 

No you did the right thing.

• Reply 77 of 107
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    We all watched the devastation it caused replayed on TV over and over.

So the image came from the media which, as you state, "replayed on TV over and over" that people must have been watching for them to keep replaying it. It seems like the people here who were upset with the photo have seen that image before. I hadn't seen it, but I also choose not to watch sensational news coverage. Why isn't this sensational media or the people they cater to part of the problem? I have to think that if only the facts had been presented by the media instead of the same graphic images replayed over and over like some sort of impassioned propaganda film that it wouldn't create such an irrational frenzy of emotion when shown in a different context. Aren't we better than that?
  • Reply 78 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

..I have to think that if only the facts had been presented by the media instead of the same graphic images replayed over and over like some sort of impassioned propaganda film that it wouldn't create such an irrational frenzy of emotion when shown in a different context. Aren't we better than that?

Who cares, it is just a photo?

• Reply 79 of 107
    froodfrood Posts: 771member

I'm just really glad the Samsung guy didn't say "The sh*t is really gonna hit the fan when the iPhone 5 is released"

• Reply 80 of 107
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Completely wrong. Whether there is a natural disaster, war, genocide, disease  or whatever, learning of a human catastrophe in a remote land should have an emotional impact on NORMAL people even if it does not immediately affect them in their location. Otherwise, we really are reduced to survival of the fittest.

It's not wrong. It's a matter of opinion.

I do not believe that all events are equal, the cause is paramount. To treat all events equally, regardless of cause seems like a rather simplistic view.