Samsung email targeted Steve Jobs' death as "our best opportunity to attack iPhone"

Comments

• Reply 121 of 146
    nikon133 wrote: »
    I believe I've read somewhere that you can get more power capacity than your power requirements grow with more real estate. Rest of the system doesn't grow power requirements regardless of phone size.

Which is what I said much more neatly a few posts ago. I guess you're providing the Android Experience of explanations.
  • Reply 122 of 146
    No problem. Stay frosty ;)

Will do nike. :)
  • Reply 123 of 146
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    Which is what I said much more neatly a few posts ago. I guess you're providing the Android Experience of explanations.

Sorry mate, I'm reading from first post to last... so I haven't seen your post before I replied.
  • Reply 124 of 146
    Sorry mate, I'm reading from first post to last... so I haven't seen your post before I replied.

Sure; I'm just as guilty of doing the same, if not more so.
  • Reply 125 of 146
    Sure; I'm just as guilty of doing the same, if not more so.

Yeah... reading last to first would prove much more efficient for meaningful replies, but would kill most of enjoyment in discussion.
  • Reply 126 of 146
    Yeah... reading last to first would prove much more efficient for meaningful replies, but would kill most of enjoyment in discussion.

It's a philosophical quandary. I'm often thinking, 'Will I reply to this post?' knowing there could well already be a good answer. It depends how strongly I feel usually, or how bloody-minded or mischievous I'm feeling.
  • Reply 127 of 146
    It's a philosophical quandary. I'm often thinking, 'Will I reply to this post?' knowing there could well already be a good answer. It depends how strongly I feel usually, or how bloody-minded or mischievous I'm feeling.

I often reply on impulse... just to see same or better reply a few posts after. I'm pretty sure they wouldn't be there, have I not replied... Such is life.
  • Reply 128 of 146
    I often reply on impulse... just to see same or better reply a few posts after. I'm pretty sure they wouldn't be there, have I not replied... Such is life.

Sod's law.
  • Reply 129 of 146
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    aaronj wrote: »
    Why not just shoot me now? :)

It's not AaronJ season yet. :lol:
  • Reply 130 of 146
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

Are you saying that there cannot be two or more technology companies selling products... and all of them make money?

Nope, making, which is what the post said.

• Reply 131 of 146
    Nope, making, which is what the post said.

I still don't understand.

There can't be two technology companies both making products while both making money?

Can you give an example?

Maybe I need more coffee...
  • Reply 132 of 146

I think you are looking at volumetric scaling versus area scaling.  The screen size power requirements go up as a function of area, and the battery goes up as a function of volume.  The size of the actual electronics stays the same so there is more full depth area left in the phone.

• Reply 133 of 146
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

There can't be two technology companies both making products while both making money?

Uh… Apple and Microsoft. Apple and Samsung.

• Reply 134 of 146
    Uh… Apple and Microsoft. Apple and Samsung.

Those are just names of companies. You didn't explain why there can't be more than one successful company in a market.

All three of those companies you listed make products and make money.

Apple sells phones and make a lot of money. Samsung sells phones and makes a lot of money too. Again... I don't understand the issue.

Microsoft has always made their money by selling software licenses (Windows and Office)... while Apple sells hardware (Macs). Microsoft and Apple were always in the PC market... but they played different roles.
  • Reply 135 of 146
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Chipsy View Post

True, there are indications though that the next Android version will focus more on enterprise security. So there might be improvement in that area in the future. (for what it's worth, the Russian government does use Android tablets)

The security issue may be the very reason the Russian government uses Android. It's much easier for the former head of the KGB to look over everyone's shoulder...

While the U.S. federal government has only approved a single modified version of a Samsumg phone as the only Android device, they did approve several current versions of BlackBerry phones and all versions of Apple iPhones (and tablets). Interestingly enough several large departments of the governments are phasing out their older BlackBerries for iPhones.

In the education sector Apple is winning all the largest buys of tablets. The cell phone business is mostly BYOD. Apple mobile computers are the computer of choice by students while administrations often chose Mac desktops for ease of networking.

In the private sector Apple tablets rule in most of the Fortune 2000 companies, while the MBA has a modest presence. The iPhone greatly is present where the company pays for use and still has dominance where it's BYOD. This is likely due to company-developed apps being primarily supplied only for Apple iOS products.

• Reply 136 of 146
    Quote:

Those are just names of companies. You didn't explain why there can't be more than one successful company in a market.

The premise that there can only be one successful company in a market, is false. Most often there is one company that leads a market with a couple others snapping at their heels. This has not been the case with search engines, for example, nor has it been so with OS companies. But, as we see with Microsoft, HP, and Motorola, various circumstances can make a strong company vulnerable to losing their dominance or having it seriously challenged.

I've seen whole markets move from high-end to commodity status, others move from domestic to foreign dominance, and some completely disappear. Apple's move from dominance to nearly disappearing to reemergence to dominance is so unusual that it's a kind of legend.

• Reply 137 of 146
    Good writing from Daniel Eran Dilger as always, but does anyone at Apple Insider bother to proofread his articles? There were several misspelled words. This story was the final straw for me. Although I had blacklisted Samsung hard drives years ago due to horrible warranty support, and I wasn't interested in their phones, I was OK with their other products. If they can have such a disgusting and callous attitude about the death of Steve Jobs, then I will never buy anything with the Samsung brand attached to it ever again.

**Someone pointed out that I too made errors in my above comment, which I have just corrected. My point was that when you run a blog site that has a lot of readers, you should make sure to proofread, and fix your errors before you post. No one is perfect, but Daniel Eran Dilger frequently posts articles with a lot of grammatical errors, and typos. I've been reading his stuff for years, and this is normal for him.
  • Reply 138 of 146
    Good writing from Daniel Eran Dilger as always, but does anyone at Apple Insider bother to proofread his articles? There were several misspelled words. This story was the final straw for me. Although I had blacklisted Samsung hard drives years ago due to horrible warranty support, and I wasn't interested in their phones, I was OK with their other products. If they can have such a disgusting and callous attitude about the death of Steve Jobs, then I will never buy anything with the Samsung brand attached to it ever again.
  • Reply 139 of 146

Thanks for pointing out my errors.... This is not my blog, so I'm free to make errors. I don't make them on my own blog because I proofread before posting. You missed the basic point of what I said. You were obviously more interested in making me look like a hypocrite than you were with understanding my point.

• Reply 140 of 146
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Howie Isaacks View Post

Thanks for pointing out my errors.... This is not my blog, so I'm free to make errors. I don't make them on my own blog because I proofread before posting. You missed the basic point of what I said. You were obviously more interested in making me look like a hypocrite than you were with understanding my point.

You talk about bad grammar, and yet your brief post was a perfect example of bad grammar. Yes, I highlighted the two misspelt words, but what was worse was the way in which you obscured the meaning of your words.

You should have put a new paragraph before 'This story was the final straw for me.' It initially looked as though you were done with AI because of the poor proofreading, but you really meant that it was Samsung's bad behaviour that was the final straw.

Secondly, the main thrust of your post was really Samsung's behaviour, yet in leading with the petty complaint about proof-reading, you misplace the emphasis.

I've probably made several grammatical errors myself in this post, but if I were you, I would be very wary of criticising proofreading. It weakens your argument when you don't display high standards in your own writing, and at any rate, I don't think your complaint is justified. I sometimes correct spelling for my own amusement or if someone is irritating me, but I would never make an issue out of it with regard to AI articles, because there is no need to. There are mistakes from time to time, but generally, the standard is very high. You can choose to be amused by the mistakes, ignore them or be offended by them. I choose the first two.