Marissa Mayer wants Apple to ditch Google for Yahoo! as default iOS search engine

Comments

• Reply 121 of 178
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    d4njvrzf wrote: »
    Chrome has supported secure web proxies for a while (http://www.igvita.com/2012/06/25/spdy-and-secure-proxy-support-in-google-chrome/). 

Yes, but I would have thought a company like Google would have done it, not some no-name
    d4njvrzf wrote: »
    Chrome has supported secure web proxies for a while (http://www.igvita.com/2012/06/25/spdy-and-secure-proxy-support-in-google-chrome/). Are you looking for Google to run its own proxy server?

I think services cover all the major browsers. I used to use one that plugs into the Mac for Safari years ago. I'm just surprised a company like Google hasn't created their own as it would allow them to "protect" users from random people while being able to get more data about usage patterns because it would even cover what I could be posting here, right now.
  • Reply 122 of 178
    Quote:

Originally Posted by rob53 View Post

I already dropped Google for just about everything and after the email data mining revelation, I suggested dropping gmail to several family members and friends. Using Yahoo for search isn't that bad and I only occasionally use Google maps when something doesn't work in Apple Maps. I got rid of my gmail account months ago and am glad I did. gmail had all sorts of problems for me when managing email using Apple Mail (go ahead and say it way Apple Mail's fault, I don't care, I'm not going back). As for using Google for calculations, I just use the Calculator widget. It works fine for me. 

btw: @paxmantry this in Safari when Yahoo is your search engine. It works

I don't own Yahoo stock but do own Apple stock. 

Thanks for posting. I have been using Bing to stay away from Google and was missing those features. I had heard that Yahoo was using Bing as the backend, but didn't even consider they could have added this stuff on top of it. 

• Reply 123 of 178
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

PPS: I'm surprised a company, like Google, hasn't ever created a secure "portal" with Chrome so that all traffic goes through them but is encrypted on the local end. I'd use it for sites like this. I'd rather have Google reading my data for their analytics than some hacker on local WiFi hotspot looking to steal my identity.

With their "reduce data usage" option in the Chrome mobile browser they're getting pretty close to being able to offer such a thing.  It wouldn't take much to add that functionality (though there's no sign that it's planned).  There's also an added "bonus" that the traffic then comes from Google so ad blockers don't work on sites loaded in this manner.

• Reply 124 of 178
    enzosenzos Posts: 344member

Yahoo mail is, basically, buggered!

Had an email address with them since 1994 but I can't even use it now to send mail since the last "security overhaul". My address book has been hacked many times but that had nothing to do with passwords (it was a general breach) and that's better than the bloody thing being unusable. 

--

Tech Support: Sorry that password has expired- you must register a new one.

Me: Did someone discover that password and hack my computer?

Tech Support: No, but your password has expired- you must get a new one.

Me: Why then do I need a new one as that one seems to be working pretty good?

Tech Support: Well, you must get a new one as they automatically expire every 30 days.

Me: Can I use the old one and just re-register it?

Tech Support: No, you must get a new one.

Me: I don't want a new one as that is one more thing for me to remember.

Tech Support: Sorry, you must get a new one.

Me: OK, roses

Tech Support: Sorry you must use more letters.

Me: OK, pretty roses

Tech Support: No good, you must use at least one numerical character.

Me: OK, 1 pretty rose

Tech Support: Sorry, you cannot use blank spaces.

Me: OK, 1prettyrose

Tech Support: Sorry, you must use additional characters.

Me: OK, 1fuckingprettyrose

Tech Support: Sorry, you must use at least one capital letter.

Me: OK, 1FUCKINGprettyrose

Tech Support: Sorry, you cannot use more than one capital letter in a row.

Me: OK, 1Fuckingprettyrose

Tech Support: Sorry, you cannot use that password as you must use additional letters.

Me: OK, 1FUCKINGprettyroseshovedupyourassifyoudon'tgivemeaccessrightfuckingnow

Tech Support: Sorry, you cannot use that password as it is already being used

• Reply 125 of 178
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    rogifan wrote: »
    Do you really think someone worth millions of dollars rents clothing?

Does he own his own bowling shoes as well?

Aren't Bing and Yahoo the same search engine?

3 years ago Bing used Google's results. Don't know if that's still the case.

http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Yes-Bing-Has-Been-Copying-Google-Search-Results-2382015.php
    http://www.wired.com/2011/02/bing-copies-google/

solipsismx wrote: »
    I'd rather have Google reading my data for their analytics than some hacker on local WiFi hotspot looking to steal my identity.

Whenever I'm in a hotel I don't access their WiFi on my iPhone. I do use my iPad for that. "Why Phil; both devices basically have the same info on them?" Well, I don't have much sensitive info on my iPad, but there's a boatload of that on my iPhone.

I just think the picture looks funny with "try again" at the bottom.

Funny that. So basically he's giving her the finger every time he unlocks his iPhone¿

Even more OT, sourced from Marvin:
    She's a legitimate dork anyway, check out the laugh:

@ round 44:30
  • Reply 126 of 178
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DimMok View Post

Resurrect Sherlock Apple!

I have thought the same thing. Not so much the same Sherlock as long ago but a new reincarnation that could also be useful for app searches especially since the app store and iTunes suck at finding apps unless you already know the name. Siri is lonely and Sherlock would make a great companion for her for showing results. 

• Reply 127 of 178
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by deepkid View Post

Now why the hell would anyone trust her search engine after she picked that ugly, backwards logo? 0_o

Careful, she's friends with Jony Ive, he might have advised on that :)

• Reply 128 of 178
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    Maybe the reality distortion field operates a lot on many here but, no, Yahoo and Bing search are still terrible compared to Google search.
    I recently tried to look for a specific website with vague terms on the three search engines. Didn't find it on Yahoo, was on second page on Bing and was the second result on Google.
  • Reply 129 of 178
    I just switched to Yahoo! to see how good it is. Did some searches and I like the results, more relevant to me than what Google serves.
  • Reply 130 of 178
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

Yahoo was the biggest for a long time before Google came along. If only they had had "Samsung Ethics" and had grabbed Google's technology straight away they could have stayed on top. But it's been so long now, surely Google's tricks must be known by the academic community and it is possible for Yahoo to get fairly close.

• Reply 131 of 178
    marvfoxmarvfox Posts: 2,275member

Bing is a decent search engine I think.

• Reply 132 of 178
    thebmtthebmt Posts: 10member

I'd really rather not have it changed to Yahoo! personally. First thing I heard about Yahoo! in years? How passwords had been compromised as they failed to patch Heartbleed in a timely manner.

Yahoo's prime time is long gone, I'd much rather stick with Google (even if I don't trust them), thanks.

Hell, I'd rather they went with Bing than Yahoo!, at least Bing are likely to be able to organise a p**s up in a brewery.

• Reply 133 of 178
    tenlytenly Posts: 710member
    paxman wrote: »
    One thing I use a lot with Google is basic conversions '3972' usd to gbp', for instance, or '22 c to f', or whatever. I would miss the convenience of that.

Those are perfect tasks for Siri.
  • Reply 134 of 178
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by enzos View Post

Tech Support: Sorry, you cannot use that password as it is already being used

Funny joke with 1 major problem. You can have the same password as someone else and they would never tell you if someone else had the same password.

This woman is certainly better looking than the offering at Google. Not that that means anything but it seems to help.

• Reply 135 of 178
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

They could do it but most people would switch back to Google. All it takes is one simple click in Safari settings so then Google would still get most iOS users but wouldn't have to pay Apple a billion a year. Not a good move

This is 100% positively without any doubt in anyone's mind...completely false. No one would have a frigging clue, except the 2% of users that might actually READ an article that says it switch to Yahoo.

It never ceases to amaze me how people who post on an Apple website think the majority of users think or act the way they do.

• Reply 136 of 178
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheBMT View Post

I'd really rather not have it changed to Yahoo! personally. First thing I heard about Yahoo! in years? How passwords had been compromised as they failed to patch Heartbleed in a timely manner.

Yahoo's prime time is long gone, I'd much rather stick with Google (even if I don't trust them), thanks.

Hell, I'd rather they went with Bing than Yahoo!, at least Bing are likely to be able to organise a p**s up in a brewery.

???

Yahoo has the best Weather App on iOS, by far.

• Reply 137 of 178
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

Maybe the reality distortion field operates a lot on many here but, no, Yahoo and Bing search are still terrible compared to Google search.

FUD. You're stuck in the past.

• Reply 138 of 178
    d4njvrzfd4njvrzf Posts: 797member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

They could do it but most people would switch back to Google. All it takes is one simple click in Safari settings so then Google would still get most iOS users but wouldn't have to pay Apple a billion a year. Not a good move

What if Apple were to remove the ability to change the default search engine in iOS? They already don't allow the user to change default apps. Could they conceivably extend this policy to the search engine to prop up Yahoo?

• Reply 139 of 178
    For easy conversions there is also the dashboard conversion widget on OS X.
  • Reply 140 of 178

DuckDuckGo is the way to go.