As Apple's growth slows, media questions if 'patience' & 'resolve' of Wall Street investors will las

Comments

• Reply 41 of 126
    ceek74ceek74 Posts: 324member

Testing Wall Street's patience and resolve?  Seriously?  The same Wall Street that tanked Apple's stock after record-breaking results last year?  Wall Street is testing MY patience and resolve!

• Reply 42 of 126
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    mj web wrote: »
    Apple has become painfully predictable and stuck in<span style="line-height:1.4em;"> slow motion</span>
     innovation-wise<span style="line-height:1.4em;">. The media and Wall Street are correct! Tim Cook has </span>
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;">put </span>
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;">Apple in position where Cupertino now needs to prove it still</span>
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;"> possesses</span>
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;"> "fire in its belly</span>
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;">". </span>

<span style="line-height:1.4em;">?My radar leads me to conclude the iW</span>
    atch<span style="line-height:1.4em;"> is </span>
    imminent<span style="line-height:1.4em;">. That may move the needle! A larger iPhone will plug the dyke but I think it's too late to be </span>
    significant<span style="line-height:1.4em;"> because</span>
    <em style="line-height:1.4em;"> </em>
    everyone<span style="line-height:1.4em;"> expects it. By </span>
    making Apple TV a hobby for way too long I fear Apple has blown that opportunity too! There are people in denial here but the fact remains, compared to what Apple was in 2007-2011, the company is a bloody mess.  
    mj web wrote: »
    Apple has become painfully predictable and stuck in<span style="line-height:1.4em;"> slow motion</span>
     innovation-wise<span style="line-height:1.4em;">. The media and Wall Street are correct! Tim Cook has </span>
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;">put </span>
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;">Apple in position where Cupertino now needs to prove it still</span>
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;"> possesses</span>
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;"> "fire in its belly</span>
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;">". </span>

<span style="line-height:1.4em;">?My radar leads me to conclude the iW</span>
    atch<span style="line-height:1.4em;"> is </span>
    imminent<span style="line-height:1.4em;">. That may move the needle! A larger iPhone will plug the dyke but I think it's too late to be </span>
    significant<span style="line-height:1.4em;"> because</span>
    <em style="line-height:1.4em;"> </em>
    everyone<span style="line-height:1.4em;"> expects it. By </span>
    making Apple TV a hobby for way too long I fear Apple has blown that opportunity too! There are people in denial here but the fact remains, compared to what Apple was in 2007-2011, the company is a bloody mess.  
    Apple is a bloody mess? Hyperbole much? Apple in 1996 was a bloody mess. Apple in 2014 is nothing of the sort.
  • Reply 43 of 126
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    nkhm wrote: »
    Apple need to de-list, become a private company again and do what they do best.  Make great products that people want and make a shed load of money doing so.
    And you think the analysts are the ones spouting pointless opinions? Apple delisting and becoming private is not going to happen; from Apple's perspective it's impossible. It could only be an option if a vastly wealthy consortium of rich people or funds got involved. If you can imagine such a scenario occurring and the result being in Apple's best interest (vastly rich people/funds taking over companies rarely is) then you have a much wilder imagination than I do.
  • Reply 44 of 126
    jd mbajd mba Posts: 38member
    ajbdtc826 wrote: »
    I feel the same way. Their last major product was the ipad.
    Everything else is just spec bumps. Don't get wrong, I love my apple stuff n I'm a very happy customer, I just wish they would get involved with other stuff n make them better.

That's exactly how I feel. Hopefully with the new iPhones, iwatch, Apple TV set box ect, excitement picks up...
  • Reply 45 of 126
    I wish the stock market would devalue apple, drop the share price to record lows. That would be a dream come true. But it'll never happen, cause they know apple will come in and scoop up all the shares, and never have to listen to them again, and not share their profits. I wonder if the share price will drop enough in the near future for apple to buy another big chunk back?
  • Reply 46 of 126
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AjbDtc826 View Post

I feel the same way. Their last major product was the ipad. Everything else is just spec bumps. Don't get wrong, I love my apple stuff n I'm a very happy customer, I just wish they would get involved with other stuff n make them better.

Like what? Watches? TVs? Cars? Airplanes? What exactly? You don’t know do you. All you know is they’ve got to do something, anything, right? Just pick something and do it because Steve is dead?

FYI the wearables market is proving to be non existent. Lots of hype but the public isn’t buying. Google is buying everything in sight, robots, drones, self driving cars but what have they actually DONE? Nothing. Chromecast a game changer? Nope. Google TV defining a new paradigm? Nope. Chrome OS and Chromebooks taking over? Nope. 

The iPod was released in 2001. SIX YEARS LATER came the iPhone. SIX YEARS! Apple did nothing then either except bring out newer iPod models and updated Macs. Not a single mind bending, world changing product until the iPhone. And THREE YEARS later came the iPad. 

But Steve was alive then so it was okay, right?

• Reply 47 of 126
    jdunysjdunys Posts: 18member
    Investors do not care less about Apple products. They just care about figures, charts, and graphs and market share. Just look at Google and Facebook? One has 'products' in perpetual beta, and the other one, well has not much to show for itself. No-one cares that both platforms are getting worse with every passing year and that will look like dinosaurs in not too long a time -- like what happened to Yahoo, MySpace, and others -- because they do not understand anything about products.

In fact, it seems that all these analysts are always late to the party when something truly great cones along. They dismissed the iPod, ignored iTunes, smiled at the iPhone, and were unconvinced by the iPad. No clue, no idea, no imagination, and no morals.
  • Reply 48 of 126
    For most of the assembledom here, Apple doesn't really care about the stock price or what Wall Street thinks, witness comments Tim Cook made recently at the stockholder's meeting "We do a lot of things for reasons besides profit motive," he told the group. "We want to leave the world better than we found it." What he said isn't the point of the quote so please don't pedantically arguer the validity of it. I am just using this as an example of the Apple management team's outright disdain of company outsiders and their desire for Apple to cowtow to Wallstreet's very shortsighted investment theories/strategies/ideas.

@ nkhm - Taking Apple private might be a theoretically good idea (I caution *might*) but at Apple's overall valuation it would be practically impossible, so discussing it is a non-starter in circles where people actually want to discuss things rationally.

@ajbdtc826 - cars have been in existence for approximately 128 years, and for the last 20 years or so, there have been no really big breakthroughs (discounting Elon Musk's work for now), do you want car manufacturers to move on to the next big thing, and if so, what would you suggest. Iterative improvements and refinements have worked in many industries for centuries; Apple have been here for approximately 38 years, and look where their iterative improvements have taken us. Don't let the idea of the mythical perfect/utopian device (that of all the tech sector entities, Apple is most likely to create) get in the way of enjoying the nearly perfect stuff they are currently crafting/producing/selling.
  • Reply 49 of 126
    gprovidagprovida Posts: 258member
    Investors analysts have been the least useful community for sustaining a successful company. The Apple P/E represents the utter lack of sense and especially long term thinking for Apple.
  • Reply 50 of 126
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

The stock market is a zero-sum game, just like poker.  

Utter nonsense.

Tell that to the millions who have built and owned houses, sent their kids to college, taken vacations, retired well, and paid for their health care from investing -- and staying the course for the long haul -- in the stock market.

• Reply 51 of 126
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member
    Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Apple is a bloody mess? Hyperbole much? Apple in 1996 was a bloody mess. Apple in 2014 is nothing of the sort.

AAPL

Sept 2011 - $700

April 2014 - $526

Apple's value is in an extended state of atrophy in an otherwise booming economy. Yes, I'd say that's a bloody mess!

• Reply 52 of 126
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MJ Web View Post

Apple has become painfully predictable and stuck in slow motion innovation-wise. The media and Wall Street are correct! Tim Cook has put Apple in position where Cupertino now needs to prove it still possesses "fire in its belly". 

?My radar leads me to conclude the iWatch is imminent. That may move the needle! A larger iPhone will plug the dyke but I think it's too late to be significant because everyone expects it. By making Apple TV a hobby for way too long I fear Apple has blown that opportunity too! There are people in denial here but the fact remains, compared to what Apple was in 2007-2011, the company is a bloody mess.  

Apple, to me, has been predictable for a long time, until they announce something completely unexpected.  Sometimes they pull some surprises, but they STILL have a long ways to go in the smartphone arena, especially with 64 bit, and larger screen models as they lost a lot of business to Android, but they can capture quite a bit of it back, it'll just take a couple of years and they really need the production levels to be there in order to achieve decent growth.

IPads is kind of the same thing, but not as bad.  They have other things to consider.

IPods (and all other devices), i really think going 24 Bit audio will help kick start some growth instead of declining.  Apple just has to figure out how to make it more affordable, which they can if they can price AAC 24 bit albums/songs less than everyone else.

They still have that whole in the MacMini to MacPro headless unit, I still think a LOT of Windows users would switch if there was something in that price range.  A lot of PC users simply don't want AIO units, only a small percentage do.

The MacBookAir does need higher resolution screens and I think as 12 inch unit might be useful.  Maybe a 14 or 15 inch version as well????

I still think something is going to happen with that sensor company they bought and it would be interesting and a new market if they did make SmartTVs.  I think a lot people would buy them, they just have to figure out how to do it where people would upgrade the guts inside every so many years , OR they simply have to kick out some AppleTV boxes that would make that market explode into s larger market for them.   I think that area is an interesting one and that could be some potential growth.  I think it would be cool to have a nice Apple TV with built in sensors and then something the  size of an iPad Mini (without screen and battery) that you slide in/out to upgrade functionality every year or so when a new upgrade becomes available.   I think that might work.

I don't know how much money Apple plans on making from the Auto industry with iOS in the car.  They haven't added a pie slice to the chart yet, maybe the next earnings call they might address that.

It's still unknown how many MacPros they are actually selling, but they are still 4-5 weeks backlogged.  I think Apple needs to spend more money in marketing OS X, they always advertise iPhones, iPads, and iPods over the last 7 years or so, but not that much in the desktop/laptop market, which they SHOULD do.

Someone mentioned not too long ago that Apple was planning on some big buyout of some sort worth in the billions, but I'm trying to figure out who would be the best play in that area and if it's going to happen.

The iWatch wearables is eminent but I don't think it's going to be a HUGE percentage of future sales/profits to make a big difference.  I see it more in the area of accessories.  Do you think a lot of people are going to spend more than $300 on a iWatch?  And how many would they sell if it gets too expensive?  Tough call.

• Reply 53 of 126
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

And, you know this how?

I have good friends at apple

• Reply 54 of 126
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Are you able to say if this is a hardware or software product?

Hardware, though I assume there's software to go with it, but my sources are hardware.

• Reply 55 of 126
    Quote:

Utter nonsense.

Tell that to the millions who have built and owned houses, sent their kids to college, taken vacations, retired well, and paid for their health care from investing -- and staying the course for the long haul -- in the stock market.

There are so many people that think this, it is really a shame, because they could help themselves out tremendously by investing for the long term.

• Reply 56 of 126
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Utter nonsense.

So, everybody who invests money in any random stock will make money?

No.

Are there infinite number of shares available to be bought at any time?

No.  There is a buyer and a seller for each share.  Only one of them will be better-off.

Here are a few definitions of "zero-sum game" in case you need a refresher:

http://www.nasdaq.com/investing/glossary/z/zero-sum-game

http://www.investopedia.com/terms/z/zero-sumgame.asp

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zero_sum_game

• Reply 57 of 126

Investors, brokers, and media alike, love to build a company up. They continue the hype for purposes not necessarily for the benefit of the company, but for selfish and ridiculous reasons understood by few. Investors and brokers do it for financial gains. Media does so for the readership and clicks to their website.

All that said, in this one example, they will all suffer through their ignorance. In the long term, Apple has gained a foothold that few companies in the world have been able to achieve. The unique products, technological edge, and cash reserve, produces an environment that many companies envy. The environment that quite simply states, if you don't want to invest in our company, WE WILL.

The fact that the stock prices continue to go down, means that more and more stock can be repurchased by the company. With each and every share bought back, the companies profit continues be shared with fewer and fewer members of an elite society that will grow many into millionaires over time.

• Reply 58 of 126
    jakebjakeb Posts: 562member
    Will the patience last? What in the world are they talking about?

Wall Street already has has ZERO patience for Apple. They've been ridiculously punished for having the best balance sheet and only the slightest uncertainty about exactly how much growth to expect.
  • Reply 59 of 126
    Wall St. is dominated by players who only care about stock bubbles, fast returns, or flash trading FTW.
  • Reply 60 of 126
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

And, you know this how?

They don't know anything. Blocked.