As Apple's growth slows, media questions if 'patience' & 'resolve' of Wall Street investors will las

Comments

• Reply 81 of 126
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    [
    hopeless wrote: »
    Hardware, though I assume there's software to go with it, but my sources are hardware.
    Very interesting. Thanks.
  • Reply 82 of 126
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

It was 3 years between the iPhone, and iPad. We are now going on 4 years since the iPad. That's hardly every 6 months.

1) Show me what standard you're holding any other manufacturer to that is in any way similar, or who has come anywhere close to Apple. (And don't say 'Glass'... don't want my milk to shoot out of my nose.)

2) Weren't the same critics who are currently counting iPad in the 'revolutionary' category the same ones who were calling it 'just a big iPad touch' when it came out?

• Reply 83 of 126
    shahhet2shahhet2 Posts: 149member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Tesla, Google, Facebook, Amazon, Netflix are all 15-20% below their all time high.

Fact is in the Tech sector prices go up and down.  If you can't take it don't invest heavy in tech.

Hmm, Nasdaq Went up 32% in last 1.5 years, Dow up 24%, Google up 52%, Amazon up 32%, Netflix up 528%, Tesla up 613%, S&P500 up 30%, While Apple down 23%. (Same last 1.5 years)

It was one of the best 1.5 year for Tech stocks in a decade.

It's not fair to compare bad timing of Apple stock with best time in a decade for Tech and overall stock market, but still that argument is not correct. There are reasons for tech stock or any other stock for that matter to go up and down.

Apple performed best from 2004 to 2012 (For that 8 years and beating every other company out there), and there was reason for that as well.

• Reply 84 of 126
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

WS will always fill in any gap, no matter the size. How long after the iPhone was release were there rumors of everything.

Slow innovation wise? I guess only new product lines count as innovation. Six year btw iPod and iPhone. 3 years btw iPhone and iPad.

Actually Sept 2011, Apple was at 400

My mistake. Thanks for pointing it out.

AAPL

Sept 2012 - $700

April 2014 - $526

• Reply 85 of 126
    bushman4bushman4 Posts: 857member
    Does it really matter ??? Expectations and reality are two different things. No tech company has ever been at the top of its game forever. And WallStreet will always find something that they think has more probability of having a $$$$ reward
  • Reply 86 of 126
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    shahhet2 wrote: »
    Hmm, Nasdaq Went up 32% in last 1.5 years, Dow up 24%, Google up 52%, Amazon up 32%, Netflix up 528%, Tesla up 613%, S&P500 up 30%, While Apple down 23%. (Same last 1.5 years)
    It was one of the best 1.5 year for Tech stocks in a decade.
    It's not fair to compare bad timing of Apple stock with best time in a decade for Tech and overall stock market, but still that argument is not correct. There are reasons for tech stock or any other stock for that matter to go up and down.
    Apple performed best from 2004 to 2012 (For that 8 years and beating every other company out there), and there was reason for that as well.

mj web wrote: »
    My mistake. Thanks for pointing it out.

AAPL
    Sept 2012 - $700
    April 2014 - $526

Why are we choosing an arbitrary point in time?
  • Reply 87 of 126
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Like what? Watches? TVs? Cars? Airplanes? What exactly? You don’t know do you. All you know is they’ve got to do something, anything, right? Just pick something and do it because Steve is dead?

FYI the wearables market is proving to be non existent. Lots of hype but the public isn’t buying. Google is buying everything in sight, robots, drones, self driving cars but what have they actually DONE? Nothing. Chromecast a game changer? Nope. Google TV defining a new paradigm? Nope. Chrome OS and Chromebooks taking over? Nope. 

The iPod was released in 2001. SIX YEARS LATER came the iPhone. SIX YEARS! Apple did nothing then either except bring out newer iPod models and updated Macs. Not a single mind bending, world changing product until the iPhone. And THREE YEARS later came the iPad. 

But Steve was alive then so it was okay, right?

+1

• Reply 88 of 126
    Quote:

I already said that this is not fair comparison in my comment. But it is latest 20 months of time-frame, Where Overall stock market was at its best in a decade while Apple stock decided to go other way, but again, this is not fair comparison.

• Reply 89 of 126
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    gqb wrote: »
    1) Show me what standard you're holding any other manufacturer to that is in any way similar, or who has come anywhere close to Apple. (And don't say 'Glass'... don't want my milk to shoot out of my nose.)
    2) Weren't the same critics who are currently counting iPad in the 'revolutionary' category the same ones who were calling it 'just a big iPad touch' when it came out?

Show me a company that's wowed the world time and time again. Apple has created many paradigm shift, and people expect that trend to continue. You shouldn't be surprised at the 'boos' when there's a lull in the action.
  • Reply 90 of 126
    jdiamondjdiamond Posts: 121member
    OK, Let's take a tally of what Apple has accomplished in the 2 years since Steve Job's death. Remember that until next year, they are still executing plans produced by Steve:

1. Polishing:

OS-X Mavericks, the Retina Macbook Pro, and even the iPad Air

Not exactly new - but they completed Steve's vision. In particular, the rMBP took Apple's leadership position in laptops to new heights.

2. Game changers:

The new Mac-Pro: Apple completely re-designed the desktop workstation, and while not everyone was pleased, Apple actually became the #1 selling Desktop vendor because of it.

The A7 chip and 64-bit iOS-7: This is as big a deal as OS-X, even if it's not felt yet. Apple upended the industry by creating a 64-bit phone with true desktop power, and it means iOS software is now a full fledged platform.

3. Late but not out...

-> They bungled Apple Maps, but Apple Maps is still a big deal. SJ could have bungled it too.
    -> Apple TV is late because they really do need Steve Jobs for the politics - to get the video content owners on board. But I believe their tech is in place.
    -> iWatch: It could have been delayed under SJ, and I think this would be hard to mess up - it's such an obvious killer platform.

All in all, not bad for just 2 years. *IF* Apple TV and iWatch get off the ground, that will be a huge source of new growth.
  • Reply 91 of 126
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Big Beat!:smokey:

I sat out on this earnings, but congrats to all the APPL longs!

• Reply 92 of 126
    drewys808drewys808 Posts: 547member
    Quote:

It's called cherry-picking data/info in order to make his point.

In any, case I don't think anyone is arguing that Apple has underperformed the market recently.

But the most important point is not past performance, but future performance - time will tell.

One more thing he forgot to mention was that Apple started dividends in 2012...therefore adding cash to those existing shareholders.

• Reply 93 of 126
    drewys808drewys808 Posts: 547member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Sweet!

• Reply 94 of 126
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    nkhm wrote: »
    This does make me laugh.  Of course growth slows.  You reach a point where everyone has an iPod, then iMac, then iPad, and then apple TV and iWatch - if a company is still making huge profits, then what difference does it make if the rate of growth slows. Profit is profit. And once you're into the billions, the actual amount is irrelevant.

Analysts and investors are pointless to this arena.  Apple need to de-list, become a private company again and do what they do best.  Make great products that people want and make a shed load of money doing so.

DEAD ON TARGET!

Wall Street can bite my shiny metal ass. The smartest thing any public company could do is to go private and snub Wall Street. Wall Street is what destroyed the global economy. In the old days, speculators were frowned upon. Because people had sense.

But greed, and the capitalist obsession with the utterly impossible fantasy of perpetual growth/perpetual profit increases, will keep us trapped in a dangerously unstable anti-economy driven by insanity and foolishness.
  • Reply 95 of 126
    Quote:

Results are good(Beat revenue by 5% from projection and earnings by 10%), but stock will move based on outlook from Call. They are doing stock split as well and increased dividend and stock buyback.

That should give some jump to stock price.

• Reply 96 of 126
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by shahhet2 View Post

Results are good(Beat revenue by 5% from projection and earnings by 10%), but stock will move based on outlook from Call. They are doing stock split as well and increased dividend and stock buyback.

That should give some jump to stock price.

Yeah, I heard about the 7:1 split. Should be interesting.

• Reply 97 of 126
    eric38eric38 Posts: 100member
    I wish Apple would have bought back $150b in shares when they were under $400. IMHO, Apple will earn $25/share this Xmas qtr. These numbers are staggering for the qtr after Xmas, especially with no new products.
  • Reply 98 of 126
    basjhjbasjhj Posts: 94member
    Quote:

Thanks! ;)

• Reply 99 of 126
    basjhjbasjhj Posts: 94member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AjbDtc826 View Post

I feel the same way. Their last major product was the ipad. [...]

Having seen and used the Mac Pro in real life in a Mac shop a few weeks ago, I would argue that that was their last major product, engineering-wise.

• Reply 100 of 126
    512ke512ke Posts: 782member

2 pm.  4/32/14.  Apple announces blowout iPhone, services, and Mac sales, with only iPads plateauing for the previous quarter.

Apple alludes to major new products and categories coming, while splitting the stock.

Facts of Apple's success do not line up with popular meme of Apple's demise.

Convo in this thread goes mysteriously silent lol!

Doesn't matter how much people rag on Apple.  2014 is going to be a great year for the company and its stock.