Rumor: Apple to update current MacBook Air models with new CPUs next week [u]

Comments

• Reply 21 of 66
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    macxpress wrote: »
    It would be better to offer a 12" iPad instead.

What's your desire for an awkward too heavy iPad?
  • Reply 22 of 66
    Keep in mind that this would count as a "new and exciting product," as mentioned by Cook in the last 532 conference calls.

No it wouldn't. And I say that as someone who loves my mid 2013 MacBook Air. A slight spec bump isn't "new and exciting".
  • Reply 23 of 66
    aaplfanboy wrote: »
    I still maintain the 12" model will be the new 'larger' ipad.

I wouldn't mind being proved wrong on that, just for the hell of it, but I just don't see a 12.9" iPad happening. Remember, it was 12.9" with regards iPad Pro. Not 12". The only 12" I heard was lately with regards a 12" Retina MacBook. We're not going to let those rumours mesh. People will be held accountable. And the fact that Kuo's 2013 roadmap was half wrong deserves a mention too. Check out the latest MacBreak Weekly video podcast; they kinda of tear Kuo a new one. Even the things he got right last year he managed to have the timing slightly off.
  • Reply 24 of 66
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Neither would it be too awkward or heavy. What’s others’ desire for a truly too awkward and large iPhone?

• Reply 25 of 66
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    mazda 3s wrote: »
    Just a CPU refresh? I want my 12"/13" Retina MacBook Air!!!!
    That will come with better GPUs.
  • Reply 26 of 66
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Sad isn't it! Not even a rumor of a replacement either.
    john.b wrote: »
    And still, no update to the mini...  :(
  • Reply 27 of 66
    I want one too, but I think it will wait until the broadwell chips are available which should help lower power GPU performance for pushing a high res screen.
  • Reply 28 of 66
    kiowavtkiowavt Posts: 95member
    I have been able, through work, to upgrade my MBAir 13" each of the last few editions. The 2013 is the only one I am super disappointed with, tho even the last two have been problematic. Far lower than suggested battery life. My 2013 lower than the 2011 now used by my significant other and on its first battery still. My 2012 the battery died completely. The 2013 has mysterious crashes often. First it was a dead screen, but fine on restart. Now it just freezes completely. Apple geniuses no help yet. So maybe this is to address that? Usually Apple I can trust to do great quality control and to be honest on battery life. Stock market pressures to move too quickly?
  • Reply 29 of 66
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,096member

My 2011 MBA still runs like a champ, but I long for at least 8GB of RAM, but I hope there is a BTO option for 16GB model.  I run various virtual machines on it at times and the low memory really hammers it now.  Retina would be nice, but not a deal-breaker for me since my MBA is usually connected to my LED Monitor and I rarely open my MBA.

Anxiously waiting.  Looking forward to the next iMac refresh too to replace my 2009 iMac after years of wonderful performance.

• Reply 30 of 66
    I will love to see a macbook air in bright red chassis, with 4g connection and retina display. Maybe a touch screen but is not necessary.
  • Reply 31 of 66
    I will love to see a macbook air in bright red chassis, with 4g connection,a good graphic card and retina display. Maybe a touch screen but is not necessary. I bought mine last year and I love it. I have done video editing, photo editing, web development programming. I carry it everywhere I go. I might change it ion 2 or 3 years
  • Reply 32 of 66
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,813member
    Quote:

Who said it would be awkward and heavy???

• Reply 33 of 66
    It's likely the rMPB update last year, of course there is no new one released yet so; this may be final update to the current design MacBook Air still.
  • Reply 34 of 66
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member

Even after Apple releases a Retina MacBook Air (whenever they do that), they will likely make slight improvements to the non-Retina MBA and offer both side by side for a couple of years.

There's still a need for an entry-level Mac for the education market and a non-Retina MBA fits the bill because it's the least expensive Mac.

A product refresh for the current MBA line would not likely be the last.

• Reply 35 of 66
    irun262irun262 Posts: 121member
    pmz wrote: »
    A small spec bump to those models doesn't completely negate the possibility of the 12" Retina model.....But it does indicate that the 12" won't replace them, and certainly won't be priced aggressively (read: expensive).

And I'd be very happy if it is more expensive. It will likely then be extra thin and light, incorporating advanced technologies.

It would almost certainly be waiting for Broadwell and be fan-less.
  • Reply 36 of 66
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GrangerFX View Post

Still waiting on a touch screen. Why? Because I develop iOS apps and there is no easy way to test them properly without hooking up an iOS device. That is a bit of a pain when I am on the road.

LMAO.

Because completely different hardware is always the best way to test an application.

• Reply 37 of 66
    macxpress wrote: »
    It would be better to offer a 12" iPad instead…MBA is worthless IMO. Lower the price of the 13" Retina MBP to Air prices and offer a 12" iPad for travel needs. 

Why not update the Mac mini instead of this next gen netbook. You know, something that actually needs an update. 
    A 12" iPad is worthless to me. I do all my work on an 11" MBA. I can run all OSX and MS Windows programs. An iPad can't do either.
  • Reply 38 of 66
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

Who said it would be awkward and heavy???

Please don't take this guy seriously. This is the same guy that came here with an URGENT post about needing to know the exact weight of an iPad Air with a Smart Case compared to the weight of a naked iPad 4.

He's obsessed with the weight, and completely misses the entire usefulness of a 12" iPad be causes its apparently impossible for Apple to make it anything but "awkward and too heavy".

• Reply 39 of 66
    GrangerFX wrote: »
    Still waiting on a touch screen. Why? Because I develop iOS apps and there is no easy way to test them properly without hooking up an iOS device. That is a bit of a pain when I am on the road.

Apple doesn't design products for developers. They design products for customers.
  • Reply 40 of 66
    Quote:

Originally Posted by iRun262 View Post

And I'd be very happy if it is more expensive. It will likely then be extra thin and light, incorporating advanced technologies.

It would almost certainly be waiting for Broadwell and be fan-less.

IMO the ship has sailed on paying premiums for Mac's with Retina Displays.

I've yet to buy one, because I don't see the value. I love the Retina Display on iOS devices.....which Im holding close to my face. But I'm sitting pretty far away from my work monitors....and 1080p is more than good enough for me on those.

I can see the need for Retina on a 12" screen, as you got to get pretty close to that. But I'm off notebooks for now.