Rumor: Apple to update current MacBook Air models with new CPUs next week [u]

Comments

• Reply 41 of 66
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

Keep in mind that this would count as a "new and exciting product," as mentioned by Cook in the last 532 conference calls.

If everyone is waiting for the holodeck, it ain't gonna happen. It's going to be a slew of CPU speed updates that Cook can go back in time to prove that his company did do what he'd say he'd do in the previous call.

"Don't you think this NEW MacBook Air is new and exciting (compared to the last MacBook Air)?! It is new, right? Is it exciting, right? Right? RIGHT??!!"

I imagine you have a dart board with Cook's face on it in your room, thats the only way to explain your vitriolic and irrational hatred of the man, along with your non-sensical post. Noone is waiting for a holodeck, except you maybe. Also, noone thinks this is part of any new categories that Cook mentioned. Most rational, sane people (unlike you) expect a slight bump in this case, and there's nothing wrong with that. 

Also, Apple will release a product in a new category when they're good and ready, and when that product will have a clear purpose, and a meaningful place in people's lives, as well as having a vision, design, and technological capabilities far beyond all the other shit being released in these "new" categories (ie. smartwatches). Thankfully, Apple doesn't release product to fill a void, pad results, please investors, or mindlessly fill a "category" as you would like them to, on a timetable. They release products that have been very carefully considered, in terms of the real value they add to people's lives, and with a long-term vision. Not bullet-point ridden junk that is nothing but noise, making people hate technology. Samsung is on what, their 3rd generation of shitty smartwatches now, each of which has gotten average reviews of 4-5/10? I guess thats what you're looking for. 

• Reply 42 of 66

Upgrading the Air is great. Upgrades are always welcome.

Now PLEASE Apple, update the mini! All it really needs is a bump to the integrated graphics. I know it's a utilitarian machine so it doesn't need to rival the Pro, but jeez, Intel 4000? It's the kind of thing you only expect to find in a cheapo from Acer or Samsung. Even the lowly mini deserves better than that.

Not only that, sales have gotta be suffering because of how long it's been since the last refresh. Who's gonna pay full price for a computer that hasn't been updated in a year-and-a-half?

• Reply 43 of 66
    marvfoxmarvfox Posts: 2,275member

I think the Mac Mini will start to fade out soon as the popularity is diminishing rapidly.The i Pad is taking it over and people are buying it now more than the mini.

• Reply 44 of 66
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    marvfox wrote: »
    I think the Mac Mini will start to fade out soon as the popularity is diminishing rapidly.The i Pad is taking it over and people are buying it now more than the mini.

What if Apple made the mini even smaller... Like the same size as the AppleTV? NOW how much would you pay? ????
  • Reply 45 of 66
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by marvfox View Post

Mac Mini ? iPad. Not even comparable.

• Reply 46 of 66
    I think Apple should retire all laptops except for one MacBook Pro model. This is the truck for those who need it. They should expand the iPad line to include one or two bigger models. These are the cars for the rest of us.

They should have one Mac mini model, not two, just two iMac models and the Mac Pro.
  • Reply 47 of 66
    I really wish the New new Macbook Airs were being released this week. My bro needs a MBA in May, and that would be perfect for him.
  • Reply 48 of 66
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Entropys View Post

Quite so.

only 4GB standard in a non upgradable machine is appalling.

I was actually going to buy an 11 inch model on special last week, but turned out it was standard models only. And to get 8GB I had to BTO.

So no sale.

There's absolutely nothing "appalling" about it. I'm a designer, and regularly have 20+ applications open, including multiple large photoshop and illustrator files, 20+ tabs each in chrome and safari, iWork, Office, etc- on my Macbook Air with 4GB RAM, and not once have I experienced any issues. I know for a fact my usage is more intensive than 90% users, so I can't imagine how much people who do nothing but browse facebook and the web would have an issue with 4GB. If you actually NEED more, than you know enough to BTO. For the ones that don't, they likely don't need it. My next machine will definitely have 8, but I've gotten by perfectly with 4 doing heavy, heavy work, so your mentality is confusing to me. 

• Reply 49 of 66
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Well than Thank God you have no say in Apple's decisions. What a ludicrous suggestion. What benefit does Apple have to kill off their Mac lineup, except to piss a ton of people off? The Macbook Air is my perfect machine, and in no way can be replaced by an iPad. 

• Reply 50 of 66
    slurpy wrote: »
    Well than Thank God you have no say in Apple's decisions. What a ludicrous suggestion. What benefit does Apple have to kill off their Mac lineup, except to piss a ton of people off? The Macbook Air is my perfect machine, and in no way can be replaced by an iPad. 

The MacBook Air is a superb laptop; possibly Apple's finest.

The iPod mini was brilliant. Apple replaced it with the iPod nano, despite the huge popularity of the mini.
  • Reply 51 of 66
    In addition, imagine that Apple got the MacBook Pro into the form factor of the Air. It would negate the need for the Air. I bet they could, as the Pro's thickness is largely due to the optical drive.
  • Reply 52 of 66
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member
    Quote:

In addition, imagine that Apple got the MacBook Pro into the form factor of the Air. It would negate the need for the Air. I bet they could, as the Pro's thickness is largely due to the optical drive.

It's not like it's that far off. The air is tapered. The macbook pro is flat. I've compared them side by side, and I can't see many situations where I would be incline to pack up one yet not the other. Also what do you mean the optical drive? It's obvious that it's on its way out before much longer. If you look at the Apple site, clicking on the macbook pro brings up 5 rmbp thumbnails. The only thing with an optical drive is a single 13" that has retained the hardware used since 2012. It's obvious that it is almost vestigial in that regard.

• Reply 53 of 66
    hmm wrote: »
    It's not like it's that far off. The air is tapered. The macbook pro is flat. I've compared them side by side, and I can't see many situations where I would be incline to pack up one yet not the other. Also what do you mean the optical drive? It's obvious that it's on its way out before much longer. If you look at the Apple site, clicking on the macbook pro brings up 5 rmbp thumbnails. The only thing with an optical drive is a single 13" that has retained the hardware used since 2012. It's obvious that it is almost vestigial in that regard.

You're right; I'm talking rubbish. The tapering is the main difference.

But my main point was that there are way too many models of laptop at the moment-10 configs. They should reduce the number of variations substantially.
  • Reply 54 of 66
    Quote:

You're right; I'm talking rubbish. The tapering is the main difference.

But my main point was that there are way too many models of laptop at the moment-10 configs. They should reduce the number of variations substantially.

I didn't imply you were talking rubbish. Regarding the number of models, I suspect it will taper down over time. 15" is typically the most popular size. For Apple it seems to be 13". I think much of that is due to the entry cost of the 15" models, and you can see that Apple has been much more cautious with their handling of the 13" models. Note how much longer the 13" cmbp has held out against the rmbp compared to the 15". They have it just $100 below the 13" rmbp in spite of the Air starting $100 lower than that. It may be partly due to drive space, but they're seemingly cautious in that price range. As the base grow closer to where they were with HDDs and volume drops below a sustainable level, I think they'll be naturally culled from the line.

• Reply 55 of 66
    hmm wrote: »

I didn't imply you were talking rubbish. Regarding the number of models, I suspect it will taper down over time. 15" is typically the most popular size. For Apple it seems to be 13". I think much of that is due to the entry cost of the 15" models, and you can see that Apple has been much more cautious with their handling of the 13" models. Note how much longer the 13" cmbp has held out against the rmbp compared to the 15". They have it just $100 below the 13" rmbp in spite of the Air starting $100 lower than that. It may be partly due to drive space, but they're seemingly cautious in that price range. As the base grow closer to where they were with HDDs and volume drops below a sustainable level, I think they'll be naturally culled from the line.

That sounds well-reasoned.

It's possible that Tim Cook should tell his employees: "Remember to focus, O Apple pips! Don't make the customer squeak with confusion at too much choice!"
  • Reply 56 of 66

To be honest, a bit dissapointed in this 100Mhz refresh. I'm in the market for a new MBA, and I expected just a BIT more of an update after 11 months. Although truthfully, not really sure what they could have improved beyond adding a retina screen. 

• Reply 57 of 66
    Quote:

That sounds well-reasoned.

It's possible that Tim Cook should tell his employees: "Remember to focus, O Apple pips! Don't make the customer squeak with confusion at too much choice!"

Ahh that reads like sarcasm, yet I'm not sure of the reason. All businesses cull things when they drop below a minimum volume. There are some things where I would like to see more options, but even in the case of brands that provide many options, they aren't all interesting options. I wish the storage upgrade costs provided better value, and the number of problems with gpu implementation in recent years is ridiculous (2009, 2010, 2011 all had problems).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

To be honest, a bit dissapointed in this 100Mhz refresh. I'm in the market for a new MBA, and I expected just a BIT more of an update after 11 months. Although truthfully, not really sure what they could have improved beyond adding a retina screen. 

The cpus are just a mid cycle refresh. Broadwell should at least provide a better gpu boost if that is non - trivial for your uses. It's not so much the resolution that makes me prefer the retina screens to the airs. The viewing angles are significantly better.

• Reply 58 of 66
    Quote:

Originally Posted by hmm View Post

The cpus are just a mid cycle refresh. Broadwell should at least provide a better gpu boost if that is non - trivial for your uses. It's not so much the resolution that makes me prefer the retina screens to the airs. The viewing angles are significantly better.

Uh, As far as I can see it's using the same GPU, and these are still Haswell chips. I know its a mid-cycle refresh, but 11 months seems a bit longer than "mid-cycle". 

• Reply 59 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Uh, As far as I can see it's using the same GPU, and these are still Haswell chips. I know its a mid-cycle refresh, but 11 months seems a bit longer than "mid-cycle". 

Yeah there's a pretty long gap between Haswell and Broadwell. I meant you might see a more significant bump to that aspect come Broadwell, which I don't think we'll see in a currently shipping Air until late this year or the beginning of next year. The reason for that is that I think Intel was planning late Q3 and some might slide later. Apart from that Apple typically staggers the Air refreshes a bit more than the macbook pros, although intel doesn't always bump the cpus used by the Airs.

• Reply 60 of 66
    Quote:

The Pro with the optical drive is irrelevant- it's a legacy model that Apple is just keeping around and may be discontinued anytime. As for the rMBPs, the thickness difference is not huge, and part of me suspects Apple COULD make them almost identical to the Airs, but they're not crazy to do so as they need some differentiation.  But yes, I can see the lines merging soon once thickness becomes a non-issue.