Google exec & social networking chief Vic Gundotra leaves company

Posted:
in General Discussion edited April 2014
Vic Gundotra, an outspoken member of Google's executive team who spearheaded the company's Google+ social networking service and oversaw its early mobile applications, has left the company after an 8-year tenure, he announced on Thursday.

Appropriately, Gundotra announced his departure via his official Google+ account, where the executive said he's headed on a "new journey," but declined to say where he might end up. In addition to creating Google+ and being responsible for the company's initial mobile applications initiatives, Gundotra also started the annual Google I/O conference, where the company historically has unveiled advancements to its Android mobile operating system.

It was at Google I/O in 2010 that Gundotra and Google came out swinging against rival Apple, comparing the iPhone maker to "Big Brother." The comments were a reference to Apple's iconic "1984" advertisement, which itself was an allusion to George Orwell's classic novel of a dystopian future.

"If Google did not act, we faced a Draconian future where one man, one company, one device, one carrier would be our only choice," Gundotra said in 2010. "That's a future we don't want."

Prior to joining Google in 2007, Gundotra spend 15 years at Microsoft, where he eventually became the company's general manager of platform evangelism.

Google Chief Executive Larry Page responded publicly with a note to Gundotra thanking him for his tenure at the company, and wishing him luck on his "next project."

"You cut your teeth on our mobile apps and developer relations, turning our disparate efforts into something great," Page wrote. "When I first used turn-by-turn navigation, it blew me away.

"And, walking onto the stage at I/O last year, it was amazing to see developers so excited about Google. These were vintage Vic projects. Then you built Google+ from nothing."

The CEO also vowed that Google will continue to bring "great new experiences" for members of Google+.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 49
    darklitedarklite Posts: 229member

Wow. I wonder where he's headed next?

• Reply 2 of 49
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Hey, isn't he the guy from HBO's Silicon Valley? ;)
  • Reply 3 of 49
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member

Funny, I don't even remember registering on Google Insider.

• Reply 4 of 49
    Vic is an great guy, I've met him a few times at Google io the guy is passionate about everything he does and will go out of his way to meet and talk to you. Big lost, can't wait to see what he does next.
  • Reply 5 of 49
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Wow, this is the guy I liked most at Google. Notice how none of the headlines insinuate that he's leaving Google because he believes the company is doomed, or because of internal strife that could tear the company apart- like the rumors that prop up after anyone leaves Apple, even after 30 years (like Christie)
  • Reply 6 of 49
    baytedbayted Posts: 13member
    Google is not a success story. Not a total failure at best.
  • Reply 7 of 49
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bayTed View Post

What are you talking about?

• Reply 8 of 49
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member

He won't be missed!

• Reply 9 of 49
    chandra69chandra69 Posts: 638member

SHOCKERRRR!

Dont tell me he will revamp iTunes Ping!

• Reply 10 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Funny, I don't even remember registering on Google Insider.

Why is there ALWAYS someone who posts a message like this whenever AI has an article that is clearly relevant to its readership and to the world that Apple exists in, just because the article isn't specifically about Apple themselves?  Why must these people be so pedantic about what type of articles THEY think are suitable to appear on AI?

• Reply 11 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gregnacu View Post

Why is there ALWAYS some @sshole who posts a message like this whenever AI has an article that is clearly relevant to its readership and to the world that Apple exists in.

I don't know, but perhaps you calling me an asshole makes you one. Sorry for hurtin' your little baby feelings.

• Reply 12 of 49
    paul94544paul94544 Posts: 1,027member
    Google is doomed I tell ya
  • Reply 13 of 49
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    bayted wrote: »

Come on! That isn't fair. By all measures Google is a major success story. You have to be an excessively biased Yahoo or have Binged your head really hard not to acknowledge even one of Google's achievements.
  • Reply 14 of 49

Let me see: Google+ is a graveyard, and the app development process for Android still -- let alone in its early stages -- has a lot of difficulty getting native apps for tablets, and this guy's considered 'great' and 'amazing'?!

I think it's a polite firing.

• Reply 15 of 49
    bighypebighype Posts: 148member
    Why is this on APPLEinsider? Why should I care about some evil Google guy?
  • Reply 16 of 49
    emesemes Posts: 239member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bighype View Post

Why is this on APPLEinsider? Why should I care about some evil Google guy?

Because he might come to Apple? Read between the lines, my friend

• Reply 17 of 49
    "If Google did not act, we faced a Draconian future where one man, one company, one device, one carrier would be our only choice," Gundotra said in 2010. "That's a future we don't want."

So theft was the answer.

This sounds like the "tech Robin Hood" philosophy that Google spouts. Like pushing to make it legal to seize key Apple-held mobile patents by declaring them "equivalent to" SEP.
  • Reply 18 of 49
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member

Well, Google+ has fallen from the sky like a sack of s*** and hasn't made any ground on FaceBook since its release, despite FaceBook being terrible. When someone sees this guy, look for the big boot print on his ass.

As Steve Jobs said, don't copy, do it differently.

Google+ was a too-late-copy of FaceBook that was badly managed.

• Reply 19 of 49
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by Evilution View Post

Google+ was a too-late-copy of FaceBook that was badly managed.

It only remains at all because of the shoehorning into YouTube. Shows how much the average person actually cares to change when confronted with what’s wrong.

Insert political commentary here.

• Reply 20 of 49
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    So theft was the answer.

This sounds like the "tech Robin Hood" philosophy that Google spouts. Like pushing to make it legal to seize key Apple-held mobile patents by declaring them "equivalent to" SEP.

Reminds me of a scene — which I can't find on YouTube — from the Amy & Amiability episode of Blackadder The Third.

BALDRICK
    My favourite's the Shadow. What a man! They say he's half way to being the new Robin Hood.

BLACKADDER
    Why only half way?

BALDRICK
    Well he steals from the rich, but he hasn't gotten round to giving it to the poor yet.