Questionable 'iPhone 6' render claims Apple's next handset will be 33% thinner

Comments

• Reply 21 of 83
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member

Improbable.

The iPhone uses a 3.5mm audio jack. That would really leave 1.25mm on each side which would be the glass or case. Or course, they could switch to a different plug, like a 2.5mm jack.

Also, a thinner case would likely degrade audio performance from the speaker.

I call B.S. on this rumor.

• Reply 22 of 83
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RoundaboutNow View Post

Separate R, G, and B elements can be fit into a single SMD LED, so it seems possible to create a single LED with two elements.

Yeah, totally my first thought too.

Not that this visionary thinking automatically gives authenticity to these pictures, but just saying...

It's nice that they get thinner and lighter etc… but currently, I think battery life is the biggest drawback of the iPhones. They're showing people in all the ads in these wild lifestyle situations, filming, taking pictures, facetiming, navigating in the wilderness, sleeping on the wall of a cliff etc. The truth is you absolutely have to have a complete recharge every day if you're an active user like they're advertising. I'm pretty sure making the battery thinner isn't gonna help. Battery tech needs to be 10 times more efficient, and to embrace some sort of solar charging or something. Sorry.. off topic. Anyways, I'm so ready for new iPhones. It's been awfully similar for a lot of years, hasn't it?

• Reply 23 of 83
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mpantone View Post

Improbable.

The iPhone uses a 3.5mm audio jack. That would really leave 1.25mm on each side which would be the glass or case. Or course, they could switch to a different plug, like a 2.5mm jack.

Not necessarily. 

http://www.cultofmac.com/85736/apple-patents-ways-to-make-an-ipod-thinner-than-a-headphone-jack/

• Reply 24 of 83
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    Quote:

Improbable.

They could probably change to lightning port audio anytime they want... But yeah, it's probably B.S. :)

• Reply 25 of 83
    brlawyerbrlawyer Posts: 828member

The curved back may compensate for the bigger size - otherwise it's just too difficult to hold and use.

• Reply 26 of 83
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

The more pictures we see, the more they prove it’s not usable with one hand.

• Reply 27 of 83
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

All the while, the Moto X definitely IS usable with one hand and even smaller handed people with 1 hand because their design isn't ridiculously elongated. Apple is essentially going to market this as the first large screen phone usable with one hand and that they are the first manufacturer thoughtful enough to make a large screen phone usable with one hands, while actually making it less usable with one hand than many Android phones that are already out. Meh

• Reply 28 of 83
    kkerstkkerst Posts: 330member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Evilution View Post

So, you'd like Apple to drop a 1 cent LED that increases the quality of photographs.

Why?

Do you really need to save 1 cent?

I sure would like to save 473,000. 

47.3Million * .01 = 473,000. Every cent counts. 

• Reply 29 of 83
    Originally Posted by itpromike View Post

All the while, the Moto X definitely IS usable with one hand and even smaller handed people with 1 hand because their design isn't ridiculously elongated. 

No, it’s the same ratio. Lower resolution, but the screen would be the same shape.

• Reply 30 of 83
    yojimbo007yojimbo007 Posts: 1,165member
    33% thinner!?!? Wow.. If true that is mind boggling thin.
  • Reply 31 of 83
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    If this is true- it's likely the iPod touch based on the speaker location at the bottom. It'd also be .1mm thinner- which seems more probable.

They can't even get the camera lens in the 6.1mm touch without it protruding out the back. I love that design, but they likely won't consider that on the phone.

Again- everyone is so phone crazy they forget this year we'll see a touch upgrade (maybe the last)

Of course- the likelihood of this being authentic is laughable.
  • Reply 32 of 83
    Quote:

No, it’s the same ratio. Lower resolution, but the screen would be the same shape.

Yes the screen size is the same but the body is not... It will be longer and much more odd looking because of it. Not only more odd looking (like a long clown shoe), but also if the bezel for the home button remains the same it will be less manageable with one hand because the length of the screen you would have to traverse added with the bottom of the bezel where the phone would rest in your hand. Additionally at the lower resolution it still impacts customer experience. None of Apples content on iTunes is at the crazy non-standard resolutions they insist on using time and time again; they are industry standard resolutions like 1080P. There are standard for a bloody reason. Because Apple ignores this, this leaves iOS customers with having huge black bars on the top and bottom of their viewing experience... You could then double tap to blow up the video but that would mean you would be missing what's going on in the scene on the sides... It's just a bad customer experience and makes it even worse that in a sense your competition is using standard resolutions for their flagship devices that are 'more compatible' with the content you sell than your own bloody devices.

• Reply 33 of 83
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    I will be getting 2. My eyes can't stand the small screen, and my wife has already broken her phone by letting the kids dip into the olive oil at the restaurant. I think demand for a big iPhone will be off the charts. We have all been waiting for a phone that is easier to use. This will help a lot with missed key punches and less headaches from reading small print.

Except for the status bar, from the looks of it.

How true.

iPhone 6
    It's the phone always (thought) you wanted.
  • Reply 34 of 83
    evningevning Posts: 8member
    undefined
  • Reply 35 of 83
    Could the TrueTone dual flash be dropped to save on manufacturing costs? The dual flash would still be available on the "legacy" 5s model.

Not likely...although, just because it's not a "pill" shaped design doesn't mean it can't be a "true tone" dual flash.

It could be a circle cut in half with an amber on bottom and regular flash on top.

The pill shaped design doesn't go with the aesthetic of everything else on the phone.

You got a circular home button… Circular front facing camera… circular Back facing camera.

I can see Johnny Ive insisting on a circular cutout for the true tone.
  • Reply 36 of 83
    evningevning Posts: 8member
    If you look closely at the leaked schematic, the word "flash" is linked to 2 locations,

One is the traditional location,

The other is a ring around the camera.

Which is insanely exciting, and equally dubious..
  • Reply 37 of 83
    Originally Posted by itpromike View Post

Yes the screen size is the same but the body is not... It will be longer and much more odd looking because of it.

I don’t know about that. The Moto X’s bezels don’t appear to be very much smaller, if at all.

Not only more odd looking (like a long clown shoe)

So what do you call home telephones? :rolleyes:

None of Apples content on iTunes is at the crazy non-standard resolutions they insist on using time and time again; they are industry standard resolutions like 1080P.

So you’d prefer Apple use a LOWER resolution screen, despite the content fitting perfectly? Great¡ :rolleyes: 

There are standard for a bloody reason.

And, uh… what’s the reason? Remember: content creators couldn’t care less about the standard for half of what they put out.

Because Apple ignores this, this leaves iOS customers with having huge black bars on the top and bottom of their viewing experience...

So you’re whining about how tall the iPhone is while simultaneously whining about how you want the screen to be even TALLER (2.39:1)?!

• Reply 38 of 83
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

Improbable.

You're wrong, sorry to say. This matches everything we've seen, and some well connected sources. 

• Reply 39 of 83
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

Not usable with one thumb. Which is honestly not how I use my iPhone now, 90% of the time.

• Reply 40 of 83
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    pmz wrote: »
    Not usable with one thumb. Which is honestly not how I use my iPhone now, 90% of the time.

It's plenty usable with one thumb for what I use my thumb for. Scrolling. Occasional hitting buttons.

To type this I, like most people, am using two hands - one to hold, the other to type.

I am sure the 4" will stay for the begrudgers.