Questionable 'iPhone 6' render claims Apple's next handset will be 33% thinner

Comments

• Reply 41 of 83
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    itpromike wrote: »
    Yes the screen size is the same but the body is not... It will be longer and much more odd looking because of it. Not only more odd looking (like a long clown shoe), but also if the bezel for the home button remains the same it will be less manageable with one hand because the length of the screen you would have to traverse added with the bottom of the bezel where the phone would rest in your hand. Additionally at the lower resolution it still impacts customer experience. None of Apples content on iTunes is at the crazy non-standard resolutions they insist on using time and time again; they are industry standard resolutions like 1080P. There are standard for a bloody reason. Because Apple ignores this, this leaves iOS customers with having huge black bars on the top and bottom of their viewing experience... You could then double tap to blow up the video but that would mean you would be missing what's going on in the scene on the sides... It's just a bad customer experience and makes it even worse that in a sense your competition is using standard resolutions for their flagship devices that are 'more compatible' with the content you sell than your own bloody devices.

You're showing your lack of knowledge. There are several HD pixel counts. 1280x720, 1920x1080, and of course 2560x1440 (4x) HD. All these have one thing in common that allows a video shot at any HD pixel count to be viewed on different displays, and that's the fact they all share a 16:9 aspect ratio. This is the reason Apple elongated the display on the iPhone 5; to give it a 16:9 aspect ratio versus the 4:3 (16:12) aspect ratio of all previous models. So, beginning with the iPhone 5, iPhones no longer letterbox HD video with large blank areas of screen real estate. And that means iPhone is the same aspect ratio of most Android phones.
  • Reply 42 of 83
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pmz View Post

You're wrong, sorry to say. This matches everything we've seen, and some well connected sources. 

How can I be wrong right now when Apple hasn't even released this device?

As a matter of fact, most of the rumors posted to AI, MacRumors, etc. turn out to be false, so the odds are in favor of me being right when Apple does announce the device in question.

• Reply 43 of 83
    ingelaingela Posts: 217member

• Reply 44 of 83
    I'm sure it'll be a dual flash, but could we get a timer in the native/stock camera app?!?? & for ALL u whiners that have to comment about "too big" !! Shut up already!!! U know ull get the new one when it comes out, and u'll prolly be up @ midnight for the pre-order as well. Every post about the i6 being bigger someone has to start with that crap!!! Enuff! It's gonna happen, eventually!!
  • Reply 45 of 83
    Quote:

Originally Posted by 1983 View Post

I've also noticed on most of these leaked illustrations of the iPhone 6 lately, that the next-gen model seems to be dumping the chamfered edge. Which is a shame, if that's the case because I think it gave the iPhone a real quality classy look.

I wonder if the era in which one grew up affects our perception of that particular design characteristic? I'm 20 years older than you, and to me, the chamfered edge invokes a sense of cheesy cheapness. Could it be that in the 70's only cheap cheesy products had chamfered edges?

• Reply 46 of 83
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

The more pictures we see, the more they prove it’s not usable with one hand.

I suspect that those of you for whom that is a consideration are a small minority of users. Not because I think the preference is without merit, but just because I don't see people DOING it. Get on a commuter train and watch -- almost everyone will be using two hands to operate their device, regardless of whether the device is large or small. Some hold the device with one hand while poking at it with the other, others cup it between both hands and operate it with their thumbs. Very, very few hold and operate it with the same hand.

The question for Apple is whether or not the one-handed contingent represent a large enough base to warrant continued commitment to that design consideration.

• Reply 47 of 83
    georgeip5georgeip5 Posts: 225member
    Looks good. But is true tone smaller now? Or is it just a gimmick. Maybe it's for proto
  • Reply 48 of 83
    512ke512ke Posts: 782member

If you think Apple is going to release an "odd looking" iPhone 6, you are nuts.  Apple is known for its supremely elegant designs.  The iPhone 6 like all Apple products will fit with the company's design philosophy.

But, if you like the fugly dimpled Sammy S5 with its garish visuals, go for it.

• Reply 49 of 83
    heliahelia Posts: 170member
    The only reason that Apple would ever drop TrueTone -someday in future- is they come up with something even better.
  • Reply 50 of 83
    The rumor follows a <a href="http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/04/22/rumor-again-claims-apples-jumbo-sized-55-iphone-will-launch-after-new-larger-47-model">report</a> from earlier this week saying that Apple was having trouble manufacturing batteries thin enough for their new device, though that note was in the context of a larger handset that would sport a 5.5-inch display. No such rumors followed the 4.7-inch variant, and it would be difficult to argue that Apple would make the larger device even thinner than 6 millimeters.

Does Apple make the batteries now? Shouldn't the article say that Apple's suppliers are rumored to be having trouble manufacturing thin batteries?
  • Reply 51 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I don’t know about that. The Moto X’s bezels don’t appear to be very much smaller, if at all.

So what do you call home telephones? :rolleyes:

So you’d prefer Apple use a LOWER resolution screen, despite the content fitting perfectly? Great¡ :rolleyes: 

And, uh… what’s the reason? Remember: content creators couldn’t care less about the standard for half of what they put out.

So you’re whining about how tall the iPhone is while simultaneously whining about how you want the screen to be even TALLER (2.39:1)?!

Your response is purposely dense... Of course I don't want them to use a lower resolution screen. What I'm saying is that the resolution they are using is lower than the standard and the competition... They should release it with a 1080P display. Not a lower resolution phone for more money than the competition. 

Additionally of course I'm not suggesting a 2:39:1 display... The content on iTunes isn't 2:39:1 it's 16:9 which is 1080P is.

Lastly for your comment about the Moto X, here is the comparison with the Moto X... notice how it's smaller but still has a 4.7" screen? You're telling me that Apples industry leading engineers couldn't figure this out better than Motorola for goodness sakes?

• Reply 52 of 83
    I suspect that those of you for whom that is a consideration are a small minority of users. Not because I think the preference is without merit, but just because I don't see people DOING it. Get on a commuter train and watch -- almost everyone will be using two hands to operate their device, regardless of whether the device is large or small. Some hold the device with one hand while poking at it with the other, others cup it between both hands and operate it with their thumbs. Very, very few hold and operate it with the same hand.

The question for Apple is whether or not the one-handed contingent represent a large enough base to warrant continued commitment to that design consideration.

I disagree.
  • Reply 53 of 83
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by Lorin Schultz View Post

Well, it has been up through two years ago (and, by implication, last year), enough so that they made a point of stating it outright.

• Reply 54 of 83
    It's sad that as time goes by, fewer and fewer people remember the old Saturday Night Live commercials, and businesses are able to sneak stuff in that would have gotten a belly-laugh ten years before.

Remember the three-blade razor, with the elaborate explanation of how it worked? "Because: You'll believe anything!"

These people clamoring for two-handed phones just remind me of the SNL commercial for the LED watch—that took both hands (and another hand or two coming from outside the frame) to operate.

Unfortunately it looks like Apple is going to cave to pressure. I still hope not.
  • Reply 55 of 83
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member

A 16:9 ( Or iPhone 5 AR )   ;

4.7" Screen would have display size of 10.4cm × 5.86cm

5.5" Screen would have display size of 12.17cm × 6.86cm

So Something is not right with those design docs vs rumors.

• Reply 56 of 83
    jusephejusephe Posts: 108member
    mpantone wrote: »
    Improbable.

The iPhone uses a 3.5mm audio jack. That would really leave 1.25mm on each side which would be the glass or case. Or course, they could switch to a different plug, like a 2.5mm jack.

Also, a thinner case would likely degrade audio performance from the speaker.

I call B.S. on this rumor.

Well don't forgot that both the 6,1 mm iPod touch and 5,4 mm iPod nano (7 gen.) and about as thin shuffle ( don't know how much exactly) got the standard 3,5 mm jack.

Regarding the speaker I Would say that iPhone 4 was worse than the 3GS but the 4S was louder than 4 and even though the iPhone 5 is significantly thinner the speaker is without the doubt significantly improved. And while I didn't tryied it I think than iPhone 5S is at least perceivably louder. And for iPhone 6 it will be similar but I don't expect stereo front pointing speakers in such incredibly thin device.
  • Reply 57 of 83
    miquetmiquet Posts: 16member
    Could they just make it waterproof as well , It is a high end product and costs a fortune I love the iphone but it seems so able to do for a minimal price in production and other brands like Sony , most phones in Japan and dare I say it Samsung - yick ! have finally gone that way.
    Otherwise it will be a really thin phone in a THICK and Crapy waterproof case made by a third party. BTW it would be great to see Samsung drop android .
  • Reply 58 of 83
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Agree with waterproof. Not sure if it's a big selling feature, but it should be.
  • Reply 59 of 83
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    It's sad that as time goes by, fewer and fewer people remember the old Saturday Night Live commercials, and businesses are able to sneak stuff in that would have gotten a belly-laugh ten years before.

Remember the three-blade razor, with the elaborate explanation of how it worked? "Because: You'll believe anything!"

These people clamoring for two-handed phones just remind me of the SNL commercial for the LED watch—that took both hands (and another hand or two coming from outside the frame) to operate.

Unfortunately it looks like Apple is going to cave to pressure. I still hope not.

Nobody is clamouring for two handed phones just pointing out that that's how phones are used in most cases anyway. One handed in general use - scrolling and hitting the buttons on the right (where most of the functionality is ) . Two handed, or two thumbed, for typing.

If anybody is fooled by propaganda - now not really mentioned by Apple itself - it's the one handed fans. It's not an issue for most.
  • Reply 60 of 83
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    The more pictures we see, the more they prove it’s not usable with one hand.
    It can be done.

From Ars: "Finally, a flagship phone that feels great to hold. Where the Nexus 4, Galaxy S 4, HTC One, and others are all a little uncomfortable for one reason or another, the Moto X gives you a phone you can use one-handed, without ripping out all of the desirable features."