Apple's $44 billion in stock buybacks have helped increase market cap by $100 billion

Comments

• Reply 81 of 116
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Stock now at $590

Buying last week at $570 was a good idea after all.

Well, if you are a day trader and you actually sold it, you might make about $700 after taxes and commissions.  But, the real question is how long are you going to hold and what price are you going to get and what's your rate of return going to be?

You haven't sold it to make a profit, YET.  Be careful not to fall into the trap a lot of inexperienced traders fall into.  

Too bad you didn't know about Apple's big purchase before hand and buy at $535, which was at a lower P/E ratio.

• Reply 82 of 116
    Quote:

Stock is at $583 now....

dont think its even close to being over valued

Here's a recent Bloomberg article you might want to read.

http://www.bloombergview.com/articles/2014-04-28/why-apple-has-to-borrow-17-billion?cmpid=yhoo

• Reply 83 of 116
    Quote:

I actually did sell the shares this morning.

I still hold 150 shares with a cost basis of $513

I won't sell till $650-$750

I've been accumulating shares for the past year and a half and held anywhere from 100 shares to 300 shares. 

I hate buying into stocks that have already had their 10+ year stretch.  I like to get in at the beginning or somewhere in the beginning of that stretch rather than afterwards. Oh well, two different approaches.

• Reply 84 of 116
    Quote:

but such young companies are high risk and high reward.

Telsa for example is down 30% from recent highs.

Facebook is down 30%

Twitter down 30%

My style is more value instead of growth.  I buy stocks in companies that have under valued stock prices.

Well, I'm not looking at those stocks because they don't fit my mold either.  I have other stocks I'm looking at buying into that look like they have a long term upswing of high growth of at least 10 years.

See, there are certain companies that have long term high growth potential because of what they do.  Tesla is a tough call because they might be the first with these fast electric cars that get a lot of public attention, but there are other car mfg like Mercedes, BMW, Jaguar, Porsche, Audi, Lexus, etc. etc. that flat out sell more cars and have been around for a LONG time that have their loyal fan base, etc. that will eventually do the same thing only with their flare and they will eventually start eating at Tesla, and it's risky when it starts happening as Tesla may either grow to the point where they will stick around or they won't.  A new car company for the long term is risky just because it's hard to attract a lot of buyers to that brand to keep it going.

Twitter just doesn't know how to make money, at least the last time I checked.  That's one of these so-called internet stocks that may end up like MySpace.  I don't pay attention to those.  Facebook is just like MySpace only got more famous.  Again, I don't look at that.

I just have different criteria that I look at, so those don't fit.

• Reply 85 of 116
    Quote:

so what stocks are you currently thinking of buying?   I'm honestly interested in what companies you think have a 10 year growth potential.

No offense, but there are things I just simply won't divulge at this time.  I'm still very early in the analyzation process and I'm not 100% sure these are what I want to invest in.  I have to see how many ways I can knock their business model, their company's financials, product line, future direction, competition, etc.  I have certain criteria they have to have, but I don't want any surprises.  These are companies in lines of business I'm not familiar enough with and I'm still trying to see the growth potential. Some people tell me they have a HUGE growth, but I'm trying to figure out if they are full of it or not. Too early to tell.

I'm off to lunch, I didn't eat breakfast yet, so I'm in Starvin Marvin mode.  

• Reply 86 of 116
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    drblank wrote: »
    What's YOUR problem?  I've never made a statement such that you are claiming. I own nothing but Apple products and HATE Android.  And?  I don't have to ALWAYS agree with upper management.   I don't always have to agree with every Apple user.

You think a blanket hatred Android makes you a rational and objective person? Oy vey!
    If you can't handle someone being more honest about the current state  of affairs of Apple, then maybe you should look in the mirror.  I haven't said a thing that's anti-Apple.

You're not coming across as being "honest" you're coming across as having an irrational hatred for Apple under Tim Cook. Of course, we see a lot of that around here but it's usually the same people that hated Apple under Jobs that are now say "Oh, Apple was great under Jobs, but now under Cook it's a sinking ship." That's how you sound! And, yes, making lying about Apple's current state of affairs is being anti-Apple.
    And what's wrong with wanting products with certain features that they don't have, or having more frequent product releases and having products in market segments they haven't gone into yet?  

Nothing wrong with wanting it. Here's an example of wanting something: "I wish I could use the government's land to allow my cattle to graze for free." Here's an example of sounding like irrational and crazy: "My cattle can graze wherever they want. I'm a patriot but I don't recognize the US government. Oh yeah, let me tell you what else is wrong with the ?????."
    I can have my own opinion on whether or not a stock is a good value or not, people have the right to agree and disagree.  

What happened?  Did you buy stock right after the quarterly reports and you are afraid to admit that you did and that you might have paid too much for the stock?

This is what I'm talking about! Nothing in my statements have eluded to buying any stock recently and if I had bought recently. It just sounds nutzo or you're just not good at forming a coherent defense without trying to make a passive-agressive attack.
    The other member did, but he's still trying to figure out how he's going to make a profit on the stock purchase.

That's simple. You sell when it's higher than when you bought, which means if you bought anytime this year it would now be a profit.
    This quarter doesn't look like its going to be that great, so there might not be a 15% year to year quarterly growth rate when they do their reporting for this quarter.

You didn't think this past quarter was going to be good and it was. Have you ever thought Apple was going to have a good quarter under Cook? (rhetorical question)
    Also, if the other post about the product announcement they plan on making are true and there isn't any other major announcements, it will probably signal a stock drop.  From what it sounds like they are only planning on releasing a new iMac and a lower end Mac, but no iPhone 6.  I'm hoping they announce the iPhone 6, but from the sounds of it, it will be in Sept.

You mean like they were doing under Jobs? Um, yeah, especially considering there is no precedence for their flagship device to be shipped with the previous year's iOS version. Sure, they could release a new iPhone with iOS 7.x but do you think that's the best option for Apple? Also, is it not possible to think past a 3 month window? I would personally like their products to be spaced out throughout the year but that's just a wish that infers that all other aspects of the R&D, supply chain, and other aspects that make Apple successful have also fallen inline. I am not one to say "Apple should do yada yada because I want it and I know better than Apple but Tim Cook sucks"… as some people do.
  • Reply 87 of 116
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

You think a blanket hatred Android makes you a rational and objective person? Oy vey!

Nothing wrong with wanting it. Here's an example of wanting something: "I wish I could use the government's land to allow my cattle to graze for free." Here's an example of sounding like irrational and crazy: "My cattle can graze wherever they want. I'm a patriot but I don't recognize the US government. Oh yeah, let me tell you what else is wrong with the ?????."

This is what I'm talking about! Nothing in my statements have eluded to buying any stock recently and if I had bought recently. It just sounds nutzo or you're just not good at forming a coherent defense without trying to make a passive-agressive attack.

That's simple. You sell when it's higher than when you bought, which means if you bought anytime this year it would now be a profit.

You didn't think this past quarter was going to be good and it was. Have you ever thought Apple was going to have a good quarter under Cook? (rhetorical question)

You mean like they were doing under Jobs? Um, yeah, especially considering there is no precedence for their flagship device to be shipped with the previous year's iOS version. Sure, they could release a new iPhone with iOS 7.x but do you think that's the best option for Apple? Also, is it not possible to think past a 3 month window? I would personally like their products to be spaced out throughout the year but that's just a wish that infers that all other aspects of the R&D, supply chain, and other aspects that make Apple successful have also fallen inline. I am not one to say "Apple should do yada yada because I want it and I know better than Apple but Tim Cook sucks"… as some people do.

Don't take your screen name seriously.  I'm not reading your comments anymore .  As Kevin O'Leary often says.  "YOU ARE DEAD TO ME".  Be gone. you're comments have become less than worthless to me.

• Reply 88 of 116
    Don't take your screen name seriously.  I'm not reading your comments anymore .  As Kevin O'Leary often says.  "YOU ARE DEAD TO ME".  Be gone. you're comments have become less than worthless to me.

It's weird how we tell people we're not going to talk to them instead of, you know, just not talking to them.
  • Reply 89 of 116
    russellrussell Posts: 296member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drblank View Post

The whole things is awfully strange and yes, I do believe buying shares to increase the share price and then increasing the number of share to decrease the share price is opposite.  I've never seen this before and I don't think others have either.

Well, whatever..

I agree with you drblank, it is unusual what Apple is doing. They are desperately trying to get the stock price up. They were hoping dividends and buybacks would be enough, but it wasn't. Apple is now hoping that splitting the stock will reduce the price enough so "new" investors will be interested in owning AAPL.

If you recall, March 2012 Apple announced dividends of $2.65 per share and allocated $10 billion for buybacks to be executed over 3 years. At that time AAPL was at $601.

April 2013 Apple increased dividends to $3.05 and buybacks to $60 billion. AAPL $406.

April 2014 dividends increased to $3.29 and buybacks $90 billion. AAPL $524.

Two months before both dividend and buyback increases, Einhorn and Icahn were demanding better returns for investors.

How many fanbois here chided them for it? They should be thanking them.

February 7, 2013 Einhorn filed a suit against Apple to release capital to shareholders.

February 9, 2014 Icahn pushed for Apple to buy back $50 billion of stock this year.

• Reply 90 of 116
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Russell View Post

The fanbois don't like it when someone questions what Tim et al are doing.

I agree with you drblank, it is unusual what Apple is doing. They are desperately trying to get the stock price up. They were hoping dividends and buybacks would be enough, but it wasn't. Apple is now hoping that splitting the stock will reduce the price enough so "new" investors will be interested in owning AAPL.

If you recall, March 2012 Apple announced dividends of $2.65 per share and allocated $10 billion for buybacks to be executed over 3 years. At that time AAPL was at $601.

April 2013 Apple increased dividends to $3.05 and buybacks to $60 billion. AAPL $406.

April 2014 dividends increased to $3.29 and buybacks $90 billion. AAPL $524.

Two months before both dividend and buyback increases, Einhorn and Icahn were demanding better returns for investors.

February 7, 2013 Einhorn filed a suit against Apple to release capital to shareholders.

February 9, 2014 Icahn pushed for Apple to buy back $50 billion of stock this year.

What I read is that they have a low number for institutional holdings.  To me, if I were an institutional buyer that was interested in a dividend stock with some growth, I wouldn't pay the current price.   I just personally think that a lot of the institutional buyers that had Apple in a high growth fund have been selling off and the institutional buyers for a dividend stock aren't biting until the P/E is much lower.   That's what I'm reading between the lines.  What I'm wondering is who was the biggest seller of shares to Apple when they bought their big block of shares last week?  I haven't read about who the seller was.  For some reason, I think they might have cut a deal with 1 or more large holders of the stock, but nothing has been released as to they were.  I think it would be interesting to find that out.

• Reply 91 of 116
    russell wrote: »

Post hoc, ergo propter hoc.
  • Reply 92 of 116
    Quote:

One month latter and I have been proven right.

You said not to buy at $570.  I said to load up.  Today we are at $637.

Thats a 12% return in 30 days.

I'm glad I didn't listen to you and loaded up on 300 shares.

WOW.  You are soooooo smart.  Did you sell and recoup that money or are still in it so it goes even higher?

• Reply 93 of 116
    Quote:

thanks for the compliment. No way on earth am I selling until $700

This thing is going waaaaaay higher.  Its 644 right now.  13% up since you told me it was over-valued at $570.

We will see $750 this year.  Don't be bitter about it.  If you buy now you still can make a nice 15-20% by year end.

So, are you going to put your money where your mouth is and guarantee a 15 to 20% increase from it's current state by the end of the year to anyone that buys the stock right now?  And how can you guarantee this growth rate.

So  if buy stock right now, and it proves that it doesn't hit 15 to 20% you will pay me that interest amount so I don't lose any money?  Are you willing to put the amount in an escrow account so I have a 100% guarantee?

Be careful what you predict, you may be proven otherwise.  Just saying.............

When I make a prediction its just a prediction, but I don't tell people that it's a 100% guarantee. But I will state my confidence level behind any prediction.

So, what's your confidence level?  If you are 100% confident then put some money in escrow and give people that buy the stock a 100% guarantee.  Are you prepared to do that?  

• Reply 94 of 116
    Be careful what you predict, you may be proven otherwise.  Just saying.............

When I make a prediction its just a prediction, but I don't tell people that it's a 100% guarantee. But I will state my confidence level behind any prediction.

1) telling someone to be careful of their predictions and then saying you make predictions that are just predictions doesn't make much sense.

2) Really? I feel as though you make "predictions" that are absolutes, with no qualifying elements, all the time. What did you predict about the Beats rumour 2 weeks ago? I feel like your stated something absolute but I honestly can't recall. (Anyone want to look that up?)
  • Reply 95 of 116
    Quote:

1) telling someone to be careful of their predictions and then saying you make predictions that are just predictions doesn't make much sense.

2) Really? I feel as though you make "predictions" that are absolutes, with no qualifying elements, all the time. What did you predict about the Beats rumour 2 weeks ago? I feel like your stated something absolute but I honestly can't recall. (Anyone want to look that up?)

When i make a prediction on a stock price, I will tell them what I think the price is going to be for a specific period of time, if i can and I will also give a confidence level, but I will NEVER act like it's 100% guarantee like the other person basically said.

When we were discussing the price of Apple stock over the next 12 months, it was at the time when we were discussing it. and at that time, I felt that it wasn't going to hit $750 because of reasons that I stated and I stated a LOT of reasons.  At that time I wasn't confident and that I thought it would be wise to wait until AFTER the stock split happened which is next month and after WWDC to see if they were going to make announcements that would give me a higher confidence level.  Now, WWDC hasn't happened yet.  What I was concerned about are these stock buybacks which are artificially increase the stock price, but increasing the debt Apple owes because it looks like they are leveraging the money in Ireland to pay for the interest.  I at this time, just like I was a month ago, am NOT very keen on this and I really don't want Apple wasting more of that money to buyback stock and increase their debt. Because of two things, it makes that money in Ireland worth less.  First, they have to pay taxes on any money they bring in, so the value of what they have is actually worth far less than what's there.  Secondly, they have to pay interest when they issue bonds and borrow agains that money which makes the company less valuable so to me, the market cap is misleading.  I also am worried about their ability to meet demand and until I see them actually being able to produce higher amounts of product, they might be stifled by not being able to meet higher production levels.  So, I'm very concerned about that.  it's one thing to announce new products and it's another thing being able to meet demand AND increase yearly production levels by 15 to 20%.  It took Apple about 7 months to meet demand for the MacPros.  That's a long time.   Are they going to end up in that same position when they release the iPhone 6?  I don't know.

I think you also confuse "PREDICTIONS" with "OPINIONS".  two entirely different things, so don't confuse the two.

I can have an opinion, you may not like it, but I can still have that.  As far as just making statements with nothing to back it up?   I didn't say it was or wasn't going to happen, I was stating my opinion if it WERE to happen and saying that I'm HEARING other people saying things, but I also stated that it remains to be seen until their is a formal announcement from Corporate.  Now, there were other articles that stated that Upper management was pissed off when the Dre video hit, and OBVIOUSLY the deal was delayed and obviously it wasn't bought for $3.2 Billion like the articles were ORIGINALLY suggesting. So, Apple didn't buy out Beats for $3.2 BIlliion did they?  NO THEY DIDN'T.

But I was just saying that I didn't WANT them to buy out Beats and that I think it's a HUGE mistake bringing Dre on board. So far, he's done no public appearances while CueBall and Iodine are doing damage control only discussing Jobs ( Like Jobs approved the deal when he didn't) and how great upper management is.  It's called DAMAGE control.

So, again, you seem to twist things around to suit your own level of BS.  I never said the Beats buyout wasn't going to happen, I was only HOPING and gave my reasons.  So, re-read what I said.

• Reply 96 of 116
    When i make a prediction on a stock price, I will tell them what I think the price is going to be for a specific period of time, if i can and I will also give a confidence level, but I will NEVER act like it's 100% guarantee like the other person basically said.

When we were discussing the price of Apple stock over the next 12 months, it was at the time when we were discussing it. and at that time, I felt that it wasn't going to hit $750 because of reasons that I stated and I stated a LOT of reasons.  At that time I wasn't confident and that I thought it would be wise to wait until AFTER the stock split happened which is next month and after WWDC to see if they were going to make announcements that would give me a higher confidence level.  Now, WWDC hasn't happened yet.  What I was concerned about are these stock buybacks which are artificially increase the stock price, but increasing the debt Apple owes because it looks like they are leveraging the money in Ireland to pay for the interest.  I at this time, just like I was a month ago, am NOT very keen on this and I really don't want Apple wasting more of that money to buyback stock and increase their debt. Because of two things, it makes that money in Ireland worth less.  First, they have to pay taxes on any money they bring in, so the value of what they have is actually worth far less than what's there.  Secondly, they have to pay interest when they issue bonds and borrow agains that money which makes the company less valuable so to me, the market cap is misleading.  I also am worried about their ability to meet demand and until I see them actually being able to produce higher amounts of product, they might be stifled by not being able to meet higher production levels.  So, I'm very concerned about that.  it's one thing to announce new products and it's another thing being able to meet demand AND increase yearly production levels by 15 to 20%.  It took Apple about 7 months to meet demand for the MacPros.  That's a long time.   Are they going to end up in that same position when they release the iPhone 6?  I don't know.

I only skimmed that paragraph but what I saw sounded like reasonably stated comments. I think it sounds a little too "sky is falling" but it's doesn't come across as conjecture, opinion or anecdotes stated as a universal, immovable truth that can't be questioned. I even like that you asked a question about how Apple will deal with the 8th gen iPhone.

My personal feeling is there will be supply constraints just I seem to recall for every single year the iPhone has been on the market. The Mac Pro (and the 27" iMac with the friction-stir welding before it) are unfortunate releases for Apple that I think make them look bad but those also aren't high volume, revenue or profit products when compared to the iPhone (or iPad) so I don't think it matter to many people outside of niche crowd. I do wonder why the Mac Pro took zoo long. What was holding it up? And did they know but wanted to get it out before Xmas even though it wouldn't be selling much? I'd think it would have been better to hold off until, say February and then release it with plenty of units to sell, but that's just a guess based on the limited info I have.
    I think you also confuse "PREDICTIONS" with "OPINIONS".  two entirely different things, so don't confuse the two.

A prediction is an opinion of a future event… or have you mastered time travel?
    I can have an opinion, you may not like it, but I can still have that.

So long as you state it as such I support you in that effort.
    As far as just making statements with nothing to back it up?   I didn't say it was or wasn't going to happen, I was stating my opinion if it WERE to happen and saying that I'm HEARING other people saying things, but I also stated that it remains to be seen until their is a formal announcement from Corporate.  Now, there were other articles that stated that Upper management was pissed off when the Dre video hit, and OBVIOUSLY the deal was delayed and obviously it wasn't bought for $3.2 Billion like the articles were ORIGINALLY suggesting. So, Apple didn't buy out Beats for $3.2 BIlliion did they?  NO THEY DIDN'T.

But I was just saying that I didn't WANT them to buy out Beats and that I think it's a HUGE mistake bringing Dre on board. So far, he's done no public appearances while CueBall and Iodine are doing damage control only discussing Jobs ( Like Jobs approved the deal when he didn't) and how great upper management is.  It's called DAMAGE control.

So, again, you seem to twist things around to suit your own level of BS.  I never said the Beats buyout wasn't going to happen, I was only HOPING and gave my reasons.  So, re-read what I said.

What did I twist? I clearly stated it was the perception I recall from your previous comments which is my memory of my opinion of those proceedings. I thought I used sufficient emphasis to state that well. If I was going to present something as a fact I would likely have backed it up with evidence.
  • Reply 97 of 116
    Quote:

I only skimmed that paragraph but what I saw sounded like reasonably stated comments. I think it sounds a little too "sky is falling" but it's doesn't come across as conjecture, opinion or anecdotes stated as a universal, immovable truth that can't be questioned. I even like that you asked a question about how Apple will deal with the 8th gen iPhone.

My personal feeling is there will be supply constraints just I seem to recall for every single year the iPhone has been on the market. The Mac Pro (and the 27" iMac with the friction-stir welding before it) are unfortunate releases for Apple that I think make them look bad but those also aren't high volume, revenue or profit products when compared to the iPhone (or iPad) so I don't think it matter to many people outside of niche crowd. I do wonder why the Mac Pro took zoo long. What was holding it up? And did they know but wanted to get it out before Xmas even though it wouldn't be selling much? I'd think it would have been better to hold off until, say February and then release it with plenty of units to sell, but that's just a guess based on the limited info I have.

A prediction is an opinion of a future event… or have you mastered time travel?

So long as you state it as such I support you in that effort.

What did I twist? I clearly stated it was the perception I recall from your previous comments which is my memory of my opinion of those proceedings. I thought I used sufficient emphasis to state that well. If I was going to present something as a fact I would likely have backed it up with evidence.

Whatever.  What did I saw about the Beats buyout that was a prediction?  I was mentioning my OPINION, and by the way, you never used the term PERCEPTION.  Show me the word PERCEPTION. Maybe you should change your PERCEPTION.  Maybe that's the problem.

I make predictions on a stock price, but most of my predictions weren't published, they were only for myself, a couple of friends or my stock broker just to see how accurate I was.  For those that know, I've got a great track record in that WHEN i have a high level of confidence in the future of the company.  Sometimes, I was not as confident and when I'm not as confident, then I'm not as accurate, so I'm trying to tap into that "gut feeling' or whatever you call it to only make predictions when I have a high confidence level.  Right now, I don't have as much confidence in things with Apple.  I try to ignore the hype around things when I can as I know not to get caught up in the frenzy of things. 

I've also used other methods which I won't divulge because they are unorthodox methods of predicting things and I've been VERY accurate in many cases and they were things I know little to nothing about.  But I haven't used those methods. It was more of my own private testing or things just happened that I can't explain.  Have you ever had a vivid dream and it comes true almost exactly as depicted in the dream and the events was out of your control?  I've had those types of dreams and it's a little freaky when it happens. Some metaphysical events can't be explained, so I'm not going to try.   I've had dreams where i dreamt that someone was doing something behind my back and I later did some investigation and what I dreamt was exactly what they were doing as I was able to confirm it with tangible evidence.  Kind of scary isn't it?

I haven't been closely following Apple as much as I did a few years ago. as I saw the writing on the wall as far as their ability to have high growth rates and I'm getting back to studying them a little closer, but I'm still not convinced they are going to have a consistent long term 15 to 20% year to year growth rate in the company's performance.  That may change, but so far, I'm not seeing it.  I think they to do that to support these stock valuations OR Apple has to buy more stock and I'm just not a fan of that.  They can't do that forever and I don't want them to rely on that in order to increase the share value.  I personally think part of why they did the last purchase is because maybe Oppenheimer was retiring and selling stock for all I know.  :-)

• Reply 98 of 116
    ...and by the way, you never used the term PERCEPTION.  Show me the word PERCEPTION.

...I clearly stated it was the perception...

There you go.
  • Reply 99 of 116
    Quote:

...I clearly stated it was the perception...

There you go.

Well, maybe you need to change your PERCEPTION to coincide with reality.  It might help.......

If you are unclear about something I said, ask. I can clarify.  I'm happy to do that.  I know there are some that see only every other word or interpret what they want to interpret and I have to deal with the after math of someone else's misinterpretation because they didn't bother to read and comprehend what i clearly stated.

I've asked others various questions and they don't give me an answer or a straight answer.  I find that annoying.  Wouldn't you like it if you asked a question and got a straight answer?

I wondering what the odds are on Dr. Dre showing up at WWDC and then if he's going to open his mouth and talk or if he's just there for show.

That is going to be interesting, but what's going to be more interesting is the audience's response and how the media is going to handle it.

• Reply 100 of 116
    sog35 wrote: »
    First off i never said that this was going to be $750 with 100% certainty.

Second you said the stock was way too expensive at $570 a month ago.

1) You did write, "We will see $750 this year." which was not qualified in any way.

2) Based on his comments he probably did mean it's overpriced and going to drop but the use of expensive is one I put very closely to value which is specific to the purchaser so I'd have to say that he's probably in the clear if he did use that term.