Apple's iPhone 5c ate up Android while Google's Moto X flopped: why everyone was wrong

Comments

• Reply 21 of 218
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppeX View Post

The main iOS failures:

- Missing true USB ports. Just connect a USB pendrive to share files.

- Missing a decent file system (like the Mac has). Just connect a USB pendrive to see and share files.

- Jailed. Just connect a USB pendrive to share files.

- Sanboxed files and applications. Open any file with any application.

- Expensive. Price should be slashed in half.

Those are deal breakers for hundreds of millions of people. Will Apple learn or will it go the path of the Mac and iOS will eventually become a niche market?

What part off this do you not get? We have just seen, right before our eyes, that market share in the mobile universe is not something you want to crow about. You can hammer away at that meme if you like but Apple is living proof that market share is not the holy grail. The ONLY thing the Android universe has is market share. It doesn’t have the quality, it doesn’t have the software, it doesn’t have the ecosystem, it doesn’t have the developers, it doesn’t have the revenue, it doesn’t have the profits, hell it doesn’t even have the usage for that matter.

As for your typical nerd requirements, no, hundreds of millions of people are NOT looking for these things. They are looking for something easy to use, reasonably priced, something they can send email with, watch movies, send texts, and an ecosystem that won’t infect their device every time they install something.

• Reply 22 of 218
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

In general I agree with the sentiment here. ( Which is unusual as I don't always agree with DED. )

However there was of course a recent reduction in the 5C price in the very countries which did well last quarter. That indicates that the demand is elastic. They also said the 4S was selling well. The 4 isn't but that might be its age.

So next year a 5C priced at or below the 4S price will sell like gangbusters.

No. Apple introduced a 8GB iPhone 5C at a lower price than the 16 or 32 GB models. They didn't lower the price of the latter two.

• Reply 23 of 218
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    Quote:

The main iOS failures:

- Missing a decent file system (like the Mac has). Just connect a USB pendrive to see and share files.

Those are deal breakers for hundreds of millions of people. Will Apple learn or will it go the path of the Mac and iOS will eventually become a niche market?

And how much of the Android products are 64 Bit?

Can't you share files through wireless(whether it's WiFi, Bluetooth, or cellular), I mean, isn't that the whole point of having wireless data transmission in the first place?  Yeah, I know a lot of PC users seem to be stuck to hanging on to old ways of doing things.  the only reason I connect my phone to a cable is for charging it.  I haven't connected it to a computer in a LONG time.

Open any file with any application?  Hmmm.  The last time I checked, I don't normally open up Excel files in Word or pdf reader, or open up a Word file in Excel, etc.   In order for me to understand the importance, give me an example of where you currently open files in apps other than the app you created the file in?  Give me at least 5 examples so that I can see it's actually really necessary.  I don't know of any Anrdoid user that has mentioned this being something they actually do.

You aren't going to see Apple play the price game.  IT doesn't create lots of financial stability because it forces the company to go into the 1% 6% Net Profit margin category and that's why all of the PC mfg. are hurting.

Apple is NOT interested in going after the price range that isn't profitable just to get market share.  They aren't interested in destroying their margins, just to go after market share.  Market share only LOOKS impressive from a percentage standpoint, but from a financial stand point, how many Android companies, other than Samsung, are financially healthy as a result of their low cost model?  Samsung's only healthy because they make the guts inside due to them being component mfg. so the costs to Samsung for memory, NAND, screen, and processor is less than if they weren't a component mfg.

Of all of the Android using friends that I know on a personal level (which are less because most of them have switched on their own without me having to peer pressure them), the only two reasons are screen size for those that bought a screen larger than 4inch OR they just bought some piece of crap obsolete Gingerbread phone on sale for $100 unlocked because they just want more of a feature phone that's a smartphone.

I think a lot of Android users that are using 4.5inch or larger phones would easily switch back to Apple once Apple announces the larger screen models. I already know of a couple that plan on doing this, so I think the Android market is going to erode quite a bit once Apple gets into the larger screen models. Oops. There goes Android market share.

Did you hear that?  I think I just heard the sucking sound of Anrdoid's market share starting to happen.  Why do you think Samsung has to give away their S5's?  Because a lot of people know the iPhone 6 is right around the corner.

• Reply 24 of 218
    dachardachar Posts: 330member
    I don't know how Tim Cook can say 85% of purchasers go the iPhone 4S are new to iOS . When I purchased one for my wife from an Apple store no one asked me any questions like this and when I took out a monthly contract for an iPhone 5 no questions were asked either.
  • Reply 25 of 218
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

No. Apple introduced a 8GB iPhone 5C at a lower price than the 16 or 32 GB models. They didn't lower the price of the latter two.

Apple introduced a 8GB 5C?  In what country?  On Apple's US site, they only have 16GB and 32GB listed.   I thought that was a 4S they did that with.

• Reply 26 of 218
    chandra69chandra69 Posts: 638member
    Quote:

The main iOS failures:

Hello,

whatever you said welcome malware like anything. Please!

• Reply 27 of 218
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    dachar wrote: »
    I don't know how Tim Cook can say 85% of purchasers go the iPhone 4S are new to iOS . When I purchased one for my wife from an Apple store no one asked me any questions like this and when I took out a monthly contract for an iPhone 5 no questions were asked either.

Market surveys. . .;)
  • Reply 28 of 218
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dachar View Post

They don't have to ask you, they can just look it up by your account.  If you already have an Apple ID, then they know you are a repeat customer.  If you create a new ID, then they know you are a new to the platform customer.

• Reply 29 of 218
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    drblank wrote: »
    Apple introduced a 8GB 5C?  In what country?  On Apple's US site, they only have 16GB and 32GB listed.   I thought that was a 4S they did that with.

It just happened a few days ago and only for selected countries: Netherlands, Italy, Belgium, Sweden, Poland, and the Czech Republic to name a few.

EDIT: Island Hermit has a longer list of countries in the next post.
  • Reply 30 of 218
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drblank View Post

U.K., France, Germany, Netherlands, Italy, Belgium, Sweden, Poland, Czech Republic, Ireland, Portugal, Austria, Spain, Norway, Finland, Denmark, Switzerland, Hungary, and Luxembourg

... at Apple online stores in those countries and some carriers in U.K., France and Germany.

• Reply 31 of 218
    kerrybkerryb Posts: 270member
    Reporting drama where it often does not exist is an old ploy for the media whether it be TV, radio, print or the web. By portraying Apple as the Goliath and Android as David a fantasy is set in place and the press will do its best to make this story unfold with opinion articles not based on more than guts feelings or ad money from Google and Samsung for their publications. Dramatic headlines move papers and generate click throughs. Reporting using facts is dull and won't keep a reader for long.

I always get a kick from some guys that always know what Apple should do with their products as if Apple needed their advise. Add USB port, no add 2 USB ports, double the size of the batteries so I can have a 7 day charge, put a projector on the iPhone so I can sell my TV and save some space.... These are the same people that would then say the phone is too heavy, thick and expensive. Apple is run and operated by brilliant people with the skill to produce products that are sophisticated yet appeal to the mass market. I cannot think of another company that can does this so well and with such consistency.
  • Reply 32 of 218
    Thank you Daniel--the one voice of reason and sense in a league of morons.
  • Reply 33 of 218
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    The Moto X was a pretty interesting phone and I think it deserved the attention it got. That it didn't manage to translate into sales (like the HTC One) while Samsung's inferior Galaxy series dominate the Android market is quite perplexing. One can only assume it's mainly down to advertising spend buying mindshare.
  • Reply 34 of 218
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    crowley wrote: »
    The Moto X was a pretty interesting phone and I think it deserved the attention it got. That it didn't manage to translate into sales (like the HTC One) while Samsung's inferior Galaxy series dominate the Android market is quite perplexing. One can only assume it's mainly down to advertising spend buying mindshare.

Just goes to show that positive reviews does not translate into increased sales.
  • Reply 35 of 218

The question being... is the lower end of the phone market, where Apple is seeing phenomenal growth,  the largest growth area in these countries?  ... and will putting the 5S in the 5C slot this year drive even more growth compared to the 5C?

I've always maintained that Apple can do better in the lower end. I think that iOS is driving the majority of these lower end sales and Apple could do even better than what we see currently if people are given a phone that they really want. I think the 5S is that phone.

Until now, though, Apple couldn't put a 2nd tier phone into the mix that would compete too heavily with the top end phone. This fall I see a killer larger phone (I'm talking 4.7 to 5) that will dominate the top end, even with the 5S driving more sales as the second tier phone.

I have said this since the 5C came out. Next year (2014) will be the killer year if Apple puts out a bigger phone and keeps the 5S in the second tier.

• Reply 36 of 218
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    kerryb wrote: »
    Reporting drama where it often does not exist is an old ploy for the media whether it be TV, radio, print or the web. By portraying Apple as the Goliath and Android as David a fantasy is set in place and the press will do its best to make this story unfold with opinion articles not based on more than guts feelings or ad money from Google and Samsung for their publications. Dramatic headlines move papers and generate click throughs. Reporting using facts is dull and won't keep a reader for long.
    Absolutely. I think it has less to do with bashing Apple than as journalist they feel the need to 'bring something new to the table'. To report that Apple is doing well as expected is very dull.

I am not sure the 'anti Apple propaganda', if you can call it that is bad for Apple. Apple has always thrived on the underdog, 'think different', status, and this kind of perpetuates that. Amazingly. Apple is hardly the underdog. But I do think it pisses commentators and journalists off that Apple marches to its own beat, like they are totally irrelevant. :)
    I always get a kick from some guys that always know what Apple should do with their products as if Apple needed their advise. Add USB port, no add 2 USB ports, double the size of the batteries so I can have a 7 day charge, put a projector on the iPhone so I can sell my TV and save some space.... These are the same people that would then say the phone is too heavy, thick and expensive. Apple is run and operated by brilliant people with the skill to produce products that are sophisticated yet appeal to the mass market. I cannot think of another company that can does this so well and with such consistency.
    Yes, this has been going on forever. Specially that Apple should get into the corporate market and produce lower priced feature limited coumputers. That song has more or less died since the advent of the iPad, but a few years ago the call was like a broken record.
  • Reply 37 of 218
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,342member

If the goal of the 5c was to create a different manufacturing paradigm than all of the other devices in the Mac, iPhone, and iPad lines, then I suspect that the jury is still out. 

Unlike the competition though, Apple has plenty of time to fine tune the 5c hardware design and the marketing campaign. Moto X did not have that luxury because Google wasn't really behind a long campaign to make it successful; its goals were well served by the Android OEM's especially Samsung.

My own spin on this (kudos to Leica for the T btw) is that Apple has established a premium build that exemplifies the brand; anything less than that is going to require quite a bit of education to sell to the masses. Ultimately, I believe that Apple will be successful with the 5c paradigm, albeit not on the scale of the machined models.

Interestingly, there is a film on Netflix about wine, "RedObssession", that explores how the French have successfully marketed their top premium wines to the newly rich Chinese, but have been unable yet to expand that beyond a very few "names", a similar problem to Apples that will require marketing effort. The essence is that as the Chinese become more educated in wine, they will begin to experience a wider range of wines, and become a large, stable market.

• Reply 38 of 218
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    peterbob wrote: »
    Moto G has been very successful for Moto I think it raised its market share from 1 percent in England to about 6%. Off course iPhone took share from android in most of the xoutries where iPhone gained android has 80% share. The bigger question who took the biggest share out of new smartphone owners?

d4njvrzf wrote: »
    It's pretty well-known but perhaps not completely unexpected that the Moto X did not sell much. Motorola was attempting to re-enter a fairly saturated market after having essentially exited it, and as HTC can tell you, when you have low mindshare it's hard to compete against an entrenched player with the marketing muscle of Samsung, even if you make technically superior products. To make matters worse for Motorola, the most visible differentiating feature of the Moto X was hamstrung by being restricted to AT&T for months. So it's pretty fair to call Motorola's first attempt a flop.

But I was waiting to see how this article would gloss over the Moto G, because there's no way the Moto G could support its argument when it took Motorola from zero to six percent market share in the UK in three months (e.g. see http://www.kantarworldpanel.com/global/News/Motorola-back-in-the-game-with-Moto-G-success). And "gloss over" would be an understatement.
    So you think that Motorola's success in the UK impeaches the OP's thesis? In the USA, we have a saying: "That's the exception that proves the rule." Your fixation on the Motorola's success in the UK reminds me of a product introduction in the 1980s. That was the Coca Cola formula change to "New Coke." New Coke was a success in Detroit, Michigan. However, it was a failure everywhere else, its success in Detroit notwithstanding.

Motorola's success in the UK must be replicated in other markets for it to be significant. Taken on its face, Motorola's success in the UK may be important when compared to other Android phones from not Samsung. Seen in that light, Motorola's 6% market share may be significant. However, Apple has about 30% market share in the UK cell phone market. Apple's market share in the UK is 5 times Motorola's market share.
  • Reply 39 of 218
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

The main iOS failures:

You did mean this as a joke, right?

YOU DID MEAN THIS AS A JOKE, RIGHT?! You have to put sarcasm tags of some sort on this kind of thing.

• Reply 40 of 218
    The "reality distortion field" has moved from Apple to the Media.