ComiXology ceases iOS in-app purchases following Amazon acquisition

Comments

• Reply 21 of 129
    j1h15233j1h15233 Posts: 274member
    apple ][ wrote: »
    You're right, most people probably don't care about that, but I do think that they care about convenience.

If somebody can no longer purchase from within the app and somebody would now have to go to a website? That sounds real crappy, and they'll probably lose a lot of business.

I think most people will abandon it simply because they think they can't buy the comics anymore. There's no explanation about how to buy them now, just the add to wish list button.
  • Reply 22 of 129
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    apple ][ wrote: »
    You're right, most people probably don't care about that, but I do think that they care about convenience.

If somebody can no longer purchase from within the app and somebody would now have to go to a website? That sounds real crappy, and they'll probably lose a lot of business.
    my Nook app doesn't support IAP. Is that because B&N doesn't want to give Apple a 30% cut or because Apple doesn't allow IAP for that app?
  • Reply 23 of 129
    512ke512ke Posts: 782member

Well Amazon's business model is about as sustainable as human beings' stewardship of Planet Earth.  They have a cult of investors who believed in the antigravity field, but eventually, these things come crashing down loudly.  This is the time when Amazon finally has to account for its business strategy of losing money.  Predatory pricing only gets you so far if you never raise prices enough to make a profit.

I feel badly for Amazon's investors but in a certain way, that's not the best part of me, I'm glad to see Amazon coming down.  It's just been so unfair, that a company that leeches money is put on a pedestal, when Apple, the most financially sound company in the world, gets disrespected.

Apple sneezes more cash than Amazon made in its heydey and now Amazon is just bleeding money.

• Reply 24 of 129
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    djkikrome wrote: »
    I love how everyone wants to make money off apple devices but no one wants apple to see a dime either. And without apple, they would be making nothing. Apple made it possible, I see it only fair they get a percentage for making it all possible on their device.

And here I was thinking Apple makes a huge profit on the sale of their ios devices. Do you also think Ford needs to gets cut of a sale when a real estate agent uses one of their cars?
  • Reply 25 of 129
    comleycomley Posts: 139member
    Disappointed with Amazon !
  • Reply 26 of 129
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

And here I was thinking Apple makes a huge profit on the sale of their ios devices. Do you also think Ford needs to gets cut of a sale when a real estate agent uses one of their cars?

To me this it's more like promoting a show on Broadway with only a facade.  People can walk a little way in, get a taste of what the show is and pique their interest, maybe enough to decide to see it.  Then they need to leave that location, go to a theater off Broadway to where the rent is cheaper but still pay the Broadway rate in order to actually see the show.

It's the digital equivalent to the Gateway stores. You could go in, browse and even handle the merchandise but it had to be ordered and shipped, you couldn't leave with a purchase in hand.  People didn't really love that model either.

• Reply 27 of 129
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    rogifan wrote: »
    my Nook app doesn't support IAP. Is that because B&N doesn't want to give Apple a 30% cut or because Apple doesn't allow IAP for that app?

B&N doesn't want to give the 30%. They wouldn't profit if they did.
  • Reply 28 of 129
    Comixology already sucked.
  • Reply 29 of 129
    jim gramze wrote: »
    Comixology already sucked.

I've yet to find a single comics app that really works well on the iPad. The text is always a bit too small. It's one area where I feel a larger iPad would come into its own. Another couple of inches or so would make all the difference.
  • Reply 30 of 129
    djkikromedjkikrome Posts: 189member
    Quote:

If that agent has their add on every ford made and uses ford and ford.com to sell their properties, then I would say YES!

Amazon isn't using an iPhone to call someone to sell them a comic so I think there is a difference here.  But since your argument and analogy is dumb, I would guess you think a toilet paper company owns your ass.

• Reply 31 of 129
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    djkikrome wrote: »
    If that agent has their add on every ford made and uses ford and ford.com to sell their properties, then I would say YES!
    Amazon isn't using an iPhone to call someone to sell them a comic so I think there is a difference here.  But since your argument and analogy is dumb, I would guess you think a toilet paper company owns your ass.

Wow, congratulations on your well thought out comment.

Amazon has followed Apples rules for publishing an app, they have to reason to give Apple any money. If Apple thinks they need to then maybe they should change the rules for their store, and then watch the number of apps decrease.

As for your well thought out comment, the agent doesn't have their ad on all fords, just like Amazon doesn't have their app on all IOS devices
  • Reply 32 of 129
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Amazon has followed Apples rules for publishing an app, they have to reason to give Apple any money. If Apple thinks they need to then maybe they should change the rules for their store, and then watch the number of apps decrease.

Well, you don’t get it.

• Reply 33 of 129
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

The thing about in-app purchase is that it enables impulse buys: the button can be right there in the app, instant gratification. If you have to leave the app and go in to a web browser you have more time to think about whether you really want it. So whether this will hurt them depends on whether most comics are bought as impulse buys or regular subscriptions to the same series.

I mean putting all that aside, surely Newsstand is the proper place for comics anyway.

• Reply 34 of 129
    jfanning wrote: »
    What a stupid comment.

The Walmart analogy I've used in the past is far more appropriate. Let's say I have a vending machine and I want to install it in a high traffic location to increase sales. I choose Walmart because they are always extremely busy. Do you think Walmart should let me place my machine in their store without getting a cut? I'm taking up a certain amount of square footage in their store, collecting money from customers who came to see Walmart (not my vending machine) and making a profit using the "assets" of a well established store.

IMO, Apple is too lenient. Apple has to host the App for Amazon, pay for all the server costs and bandwidth (including repeat downloads every time there's a patch or update), give Amazon access to their 800 million account holders (which is bigger than Amazons own customer base) and let users of the App buy stuff where Apple gets no money.
  • Reply 35 of 129
    darkvaderdarkvader Posts: 1,146member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

I think most people will get their comics however they have to. They really don't care if Apple gets 30% cut.

Actually, most people do care a bit, they're not happy with Apple for taking 30%.

And they shouldn't be, it's highway robbery.  Apple does literally nothing, and takes 30%.  I know many of you are complete Apple fanbois, but try to get some objective concept of what's going on here.  First Apple releases a closed platform that we have to hack to be able to run so we can run software on our own devices without Apple's approval.  Then Apple comes out with this app store where they demand a 30% profit for doing nothing but hosting the app - and unless you have jailbroken, there's no other way to get the app.  That's bad enough, but then Apple insists on taking a 30% cut of anything bought inside the app - even though there is no need for that to go through Apple at all. 

It's extortion.  "We've got all these customers locked up, they're ours, we own them.  You can't sell to them unless you pay us."

I'm not a big fan of Amazon, but at least they're refusing to pay Apple's extortion.  Every developer should.

• Reply 36 of 129
    darkvaderdarkvader Posts: 1,146member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by FlashFan207 View Post

It's such a pain to use Kindle, so much easier just buying via the app like with iBooks. Not sure if I'll still be buying comics this way anymore. What upsets me is how the comics publishers will be affected with less sales. I am an avid fan of the comics medium and always wish DC (I am a FlashFan, after all), Marvel, et al the best, so I am hoping "All will be well."

And whose fault is it that you can't buy via the Kindle app?

I'll give you a hint, it's not Amazon, but it does start with an A.

• Reply 37 of 129
    darkvader wrote: »

Actually, most people do care a bit, they're not happy with Apple for taking 30%.

And they shouldn't be, it's highway robbery.  Apple does literally nothing, and takes 30%.  I know many of you are complete Apple fanbois, but try to get some objective concept of what's going on here.  First Apple releases a closed platform that we have to hack to be able to run so we can run software on our own devices without Apple's approval.  Then Apple comes out with this app store where they demand a 30% profit for doing nothing but hosting the app - and unless you have jailbroken, there's no other way to get the app.  That's bad enough, but then Apple insists on taking a 30% cut of anything bought inside the app - even though there is no need for that to go through Apple at all. 

It's extortion.  "We've got all these customers locked up, they're ours, we own them.  You can't sell to them unless you pay us."

I'm not a big fan of Amazon, but at least they're refusing to pay Apple's extortion.  Every developer should.

I can understand for apps, because Apple does the storing, distribution, and handles the financial transaction, but if Amazon is handling the storage, and distribution then 30% is an exorbitant fee just for handling the transaction.
  • Reply 38 of 129
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by DarkVader View Post

And they shouldn't be, it's highway robbery.  Apple does literally nothing, and takes 30%.

YEAH. NOTHING. You sure could have hosted that software for free on your own! You sure could have advertised that software for free on your own! You sure could have built a platform on which to install that software on your own!

How dense can you possibly be?

I know many of you are complete Apple fanbois…

Just shut up.

First Apple releases a closed platform that we have to hack to be able to run so we can run software on our own devices without Apple's approval.

You don’t comprehend the simplest relevant concept.

…even though there is no need for that to go through Apple at all. 

So put your app on Cydia and watch the 100% piracy rate. Or watch it get 1/1000th the exposure and purchases it would otherwise. Either way, stop whining about things you don’t understand.

It's extortion.

So sue. Good luck!

Every developer is laughing at you.

• Reply 39 of 129
    What a stupid comment.

The Walmart analogy I've used in the past is far more appropriate. Let's say I have a vending machine and I want to install it in a high traffic location to increase sales. I choose Walmart because they are always extremely busy. Do you think Walmart should let me place my machine in their store without getting a cut? I'm taking up a certain amount of square footage in their store, collecting money from customers who came to see Walmart (not my vending machine) and making a profit using the "assets" of a well established store.

IMO, Apple is too lenient. Apple has to host the App for Amazon, pay for all the server costs and bandwidth (including repeat downloads every time there's a patch or update), give Amazon access to their 800 million account holders (which is bigger than Amazons own customer base) and let users of the App buy stuff where Apple gets no money.

Except that the actual contents of the vending machine are not in the store. You're paying for the product at Walmart but they're not the ones that deliver the product. It's more like Mastercard telling Walmart "your customers are using us to pay for products from you, so for that convenience we charge 30%". No store is going to agree with those terms.
  • Reply 40 of 129
    diegogdiegog Posts: 135member
    I'm glad you can speak for "most people". You might want to take note that the overwhelming majority of people I've seen commenting on forums from several sites aren't happy Amazons decision and most aren't blaming apple.

I could care less if apple gets 30%. In fact. I would care if they DIDNT get some cut of the cost.

Do nothing? Sure. If you consider the bandwidth and technical sustainment requirements nothing. Or the fact they created one of the best mobile and tech ecosystems there is. Sure that is nothing. Of the fact that in order to remain profitable themselves, they have to make sure their consumer and partners are happy and profitable.

Is it worth 30%. That's debatable. But they do deserve something.

If you hate apple so much for their horrible predatory practices of charging customers and partners while providing no thriving ecosystem, no high quality devices on which to use third party apps, and no 'storefront' for 100's of 1000's of businesses...then yes, they've done absolutely nothing. Not a fanboy. I can just appreciate what apple, and amazon do. In this case I just think apple is deserving of a piece of the action based on their accomplishments.

Now my 2 cents. In my opinion they will take a hit on sales. Is it a Herculean task to go to the website and purchase. No. But I won't be using the app anymore. I'll use the marvel app (until amazon screws that up too) and the DC one. I don't care about making sure amazon doesn't lose any money from that thieving apple. I want convenience (although most of my purchases are impulse) when I buy. If amazon doesn't want to provide me that then they should build up their own successful ecosystem that provides me with what I need so they don't have to pay apple.

darkvader wrote: »