ComiXology ceases iOS in-app purchases following Amazon acquisition

Comments

• Reply 41 of 129
    j1h15233j1h15233 Posts: 274member
    I've yet to find a single comics app that really works well on the iPad. The text is always a bit too small. It's one area where I feel a larger iPad would come into its own. Another couple of inches or so would make all the difference.

Do you use the guided view? It is small for me if I don't zoom in but the guided view makes it a lot better.
  • Reply 42 of 129
    n2macsn2macs Posts: 87member
    "Another couple of inches or so would make all of the difference". That's what my girlfriend said too ;-)
  • Reply 43 of 129
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,858member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by charliealebrije View Post

Amazon has enough money so good luck

I delete my app......

Deleted the app the first day it was was announced Amazon bought the company.

• Reply 44 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by djkikrome View Post

I love how everyone wants to make money off apple devices but no one wants apple to see a dime either. And without apple, they would be making nothing. Apple made it possible, I see it only fair they get a percentage for making it all possible on their device.

Amazon and Google are competing or trying to compete with Apple on several fronts it's time for Apple to cut them out of the Appstore and let them make it on their own instead grafting themselves into Apple. Apple isn't making software on their crappy ecosystems, there's no profit in it for anyone.

• Reply 45 of 129
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkVader View Post

And whose fault is it that you can't buy via the Kindle app?

I'll give you a hint, it's not Amazon, but it does start with an A.

Apple didn't tell Amazon to remove IAP from the Kindle app.

Amazon didn't want to pay Apple to host content on Apple's servers.

It's always the app developer's choice. But Amazon is pleased that you blame Apple for Amazon's choice.

• Reply 46 of 129
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SalmanPak View Post

LOL! People's reactions aren't as hilarious as they were when Google bought Nest, but it's pretty close.

Nest is on it's way to being canceled, Google has no ability in hardware other than a facade of success.

• Reply 47 of 129
    Quote:

Actually, most people do care a bit, they're not happy with Apple for taking 30%.

And they shouldn't be, it's highway robbery.  Apple does literally nothing, and takes 30%.  I know many of you are complete Apple fanbois, but try to get some objective concept of what's going on here.  

Apple has stated that the App Store is running at break even.

This is more of the "Apples are overpriced and greedy" meme that has been floating around since the days of John Sculley.

• Reply 48 of 129
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JavaCowboy View Post

I bought a lot of comics on Comixology so I thought I would try buying a comic under the new system. It's definitely not as convenient as the old system, but with the help of 1Password, it wasn't that painful. All I had to do was browse for comics within the app and add the one I wanted to my wishlist. Then, I logged into comixology.com from 1Password, accessed my wishlist and then autofilled my credit card details.

Yes, it's definitely a step back, but I don't think that Comixology users will abandon the platform en masse, especially if they're invested a lot in comics already.

If Amazon wants to provide their own payments infrastructure and sidestep Apple's, somewhat inconveniencing users, then that's their right. If it's the wrong decision, I'm sure they'll have the metrics from lost customers to make it obvious.

And, for the record, I do not agree with the ruling against Apple in the eBooks case, just in case you thought I was pro-Amazon.

Then Amazon would be happy if Apple kicked them out of the Appstore for being the parasite that they are. They want the benefits of the iOS ecosystem (access to users) but they don't want to pay for it. Apple should just pull the plug on Amazon and Google the other parasitic squatter company.

• Reply 49 of 129
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by Danox View Post

Nest is on it's way to being canceled, Google has no ability in hardware other than a facade of success.

I wouldn’t be too sure.

Personally, I want Google to shut down (or be forced to shut down) their entire software division and focus on self-driving cars. They’ve done pretty well with that. I’d trust the company if they had no way of caring about my personal information. And I’m only against their move into home automation because I want Apple to do the same thing.

“But… surely your interests and searches on the Internet are far more innocuous data than what they’d receive by knowing EVERYWHERE you go and HOW you live your life at home?”

Indeed. But that data can’t be whored out to advertisers like what they do now. First, there’s no venue to which ads can be pushed. Second, I doubt it would be legal.

• Reply 50 of 129
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

And here I was thinking Apple makes a huge profit on the sale of their ios devices. Do you also think Ford needs to gets cut of a sale when a real estate agent uses one of their cars?

Amazon wants access to iOS ecosystem for free, if Amazon wants to compete with Apple should make sure they stand on their own two feet in every way financially. Apple has been far too nice to Amazon and Google within the Appstore.

• Reply 51 of 129
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

Wow, congratulations on your well thought out comment.

Amazon has followed Apples rules for publishing an app, they have to reason to give Apple any money. If Apple thinks they need to then maybe they should change the rules for their store, and then watch the number of apps decrease.

As for your well thought out comment, the agent doesn't have their ad on all fords, just like Amazon doesn't have their app on all IOS devices

Ass still owned by Mr. toilet paper.

• Reply 52 of 129
    Quote:

Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

What a stupid comment.

The Walmart analogy I've used in the past is far more appropriate. Let's say I have a vending machine and I want to install it in a high traffic location to increase sales. I choose Walmart because they are always extremely busy. Do you think Walmart should let me place my machine in their store without getting a cut? I'm taking up a certain amount of square footage in their store, collecting money from customers who came to see Walmart (not my vending machine) and making a profit using the "assets" of a well established store.

IMO, Apple is too lenient. Apple has to host the App for Amazon, pay for all the server costs and bandwidth (including repeat downloads every time there's a patch or update), give Amazon access to their 800 million account holders (which is bigger than Amazons own customer base) and let users of the App buy stuff where Apple gets no money.

Bingo!

• Reply 53 of 129
    Quote:

Actually, most people do care a bit, they're not happy with Apple for taking 30%.

And they shouldn't be, it's highway robbery.  Apple does literally nothing, and takes 30%.  I know many of you are complete Apple fanbois, but try to get some objective concept of what's going on here.  First Apple releases a closed platform that we have to hack to be able to run so we can run software on our own devices without Apple's approval.  Then Apple comes out with this app store where they demand a 30% profit for doing nothing but hosting the app - and unless you have jailbroken, there's no other way to get the app.  That's bad enough, but then Apple insists on taking a 30% cut of anything bought inside the app - even though there is no need for that to go through Apple at all. 

It's extortion.  "We've got all these customers locked up, they're ours, we own them.  You can't sell to them unless you pay us."

I'm not a big fan of Amazon, but at least they're refusing to pay Apple's extortion.  Every developer should.

It's Apple's App Store, DUMB

• Reply 54 of 129
    Quote:

And whose fault is it that you can't buy via the Kindle app?

I'll give you a hint, it's not Amazon, but it does start with an A.

It's Apple's App Store, DUMB AGAIN.

• Reply 55 of 129
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Except that the actual contents of the vending machine are not in the store. You're paying for the product at Walmart but they're not the ones that deliver the product. It's more like Mastercard telling Walmart "your customers are using us to pay for products from you, so for that convenience we charge 30%". No store is going to agree with those terms.

Amazon is squatting in the Appstore, very simple.

• Reply 56 of 129
    djkikromedjkikrome Posts: 189member
    danox wrote: »
    Amazon and Google are competing or trying to compete with Apple on several fronts it's time for Apple to cut them out of the Appstore and let them make it on their own instead grafting themselves into Apple. Apple isn't making software on their crappy ecosystems, there's no profit in it for anyone.

Agreed
  • Reply 57 of 129
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Amazon is squatting in the Appstore, very simple.

No it's not that simple. All that Apple is housing is the app, not the content. Amazon is housing the content, and making delivery. I'm not saying Apple shouldn't get anything, but 30% is way too much.
  • Reply 58 of 129
    Then Amazon would be happy if Apple kicked them out of the Appstore for being the parasite that they are. They want the benefits of the iOS ecosystem (access to users) but they don't want to pay for it. Apple should just pull the plug on Amazon and Google the other parasitic squatter company.

Not wanting to pay 30% doesn't mean that they wouldn't be willing to pay something. I'll always take a small percentage of something than 30% of nothing.
  • Reply 59 of 129
    Apple has stated that the App Store is running at break even.

I don't believe that's true anymore.
  • Reply 60 of 129
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

I don't believe that's true anymore.

Who needs facts, when you can just believe whatever helps you win?