Before Apple's iPhone was too small, it was too "monstrously" big

Comments

• Reply 21 of 151
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

Apple bet the farm on the iPhone. Steve Jobs was willing to gamble the entire company on the success or failure of the iPhone. People quickly forget that Apple wasn't the behemoth it is now back then. It was a doing okay thanks to the iPod but was hardly in any position to dictate anything.  Sony-Ericsson could have taken the same risk that Apple did but they chose not to. The rest is history

How can you possibly say that Apple wasn't in a position to dictate anything? Apple carved out a revenue-sharing model with AT&T than was practically unique in the mobile world. Apple also insisted on bundled data and no carrier branding.

None of the incumbents were in a position to do that. It was always going to take an outsider to change the mobile industry. And Apple did just that.

• Reply 22 of 151
    Dan_DilgerDan_Dilger Posts: 1,583member

First time I saw an iPhone in person in 2007 I was quite surprised by how small it was. I'd been using a Treo, which had a smaller screen but was considerably thicker, almost the size of a paperback book. The iPhone packed a big screen into a thin device, and made interacting with that screen intuitive and fun. Using the Treo was a pain, and forced you to pull out the stylus much of the time. It was impossible to type on, and even its Graffiti didn't work as well as it had on the original Palm Pilots.

If Apple had released a series of different sizes and resolutions of iPhone, it would be suffering through the same kinds of support problems that Google and the Android vendors have. Android serves as something of a test kitchen, showing what doesn't work, and occasionally, what does.

Android doesn't need to go away, doesn't need to fail, and doesn't need a thermonuclear obliteration (although its doing a pretty good job of that on its own). What it does need is some humility, because so far, all of the arrogant braggadocio of Google and its fans has fallen flat on its face over and over again. Wait to accomplish something before bragging.

So far, most of what Android has accomplished is to import all of the flaws of 1990s Windows back into mobile computing after Apple created a fresh start unspoiled by incoherent complexity, an opaque lack of security, incessant adware and poor hw/sw integration. 

• Reply 23 of 151
    Tech blogging articles are generally good reads. I follow 3 or 4 Android sites and about the same that are Apple centric. The majority of articles I read are relatively neutral (The Verge, Engadget etc), but there is no one else like DED. He is the Apple equivalent of Rush Limbaugh. You guys all rejoice as if he spouts such wisdom. Just as with Rush he utilizes "confirmation" instead of "information". He digs up specific factual bits, omits the inconvenient contradictory points. And the fans go wild!!
  • Reply 24 of 151
    imemberimember Posts: 247member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

Glad you have come around DED. I remember debating this with you a few years back on your RD blog in comments and you were absolutely adamant that 3.5" was the perfect size. This was around the time of the iPhone 3 to 4s timeframe when you still had Microsoft in your sights. I miss those articles where you blasted Microsoft and Windows before Google became the focus of your attention.  Times change and so do consumer tastes. When the first iPhone came out it did seem large at the time but that is because back then phones were used primarily as phones along with texting and some occasional other usage. Nowadays phones are more pocket computer than phones and people simply spend far more time looking at the screen than they used to. I agree that this was the last safe bastion for Android and once Apple enters this space and keeps adding more and more carriers around the world pretty soon there will no longer be any safe haven for Android makers at all beyond the low-margin garbage phones which Apple rightly has no interest in ever competing. 

I hate Samsung as much as many of you here and I think the Galaxy S5 is a minor and uninspired update from the S4. However, I will say one good thing about the S5 after seeing it up close and personal since my friend just got one, that display is absolutely amazing. I hate to admit it but Samsung did a really fantastic job on that display and many of the old complaints about AMOLED do not seem to apply to the S5. Apple will no doubt make an amazing iPhone 6, but they have their job cut out for them to match or hopefully exceed that display on the S5. Before anyone disagrees you better look at the display in person. It is very impressive. The rest of the phone...meh

(had to post again since last one showed "undefined")

First go take a look at the iPad Air Display in person. You do know that iPhone 5s is using a two year old iPhone 5 display and is still one of the best display out there, better than S4 display and still better than S5 display when it comes to outdoor visibility while the iPhone 5 display has no weakness

• Reply 25 of 151
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by iMember View Post

better than S5 display when it comes to outdoor visibility

Is it? Good. My iPhone and iPad have a decent range where visibility is poor in sunlight at full brightness, so it’s good to hear that the thinner screen components combat that.

• Reply 26 of 151
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RichL View Post

How can you possibly say that Apple wasn't in a position to dictate anything? Apple carved out a revenue-sharing model with AT&T than was practically unique in the mobile world. Apple also insisted on bundled data and no carrier branding.

None of the incumbents were in a position to do that. It was always going to take an outsider to change the mobile industry. And Apple did just that.

But recall that AT&T/Cingular was a struggling collection of U.S. GSM networks barely supporting 2G/EDGE. Verizon scoffed at Apple, and everyone in the mobile industry suggested the company had no chance. Apple had the same sort of bottom tier partners in Japan (the only minor GSM carrier in a CDMA nation) and in a variety of other countries where its now on top. It took many years of achieving success in partnership with the weakest, most desperate players in the industry to build up to the point where it is now the top vendor in profitable phones in the US, Japan, etc. And there's still seething hatred for Apple in the UK.

Apple worked for every bit of its success. Sony-Ericsson, Nokia and other very successful EU companies couldn't get in the door in the US because they didn't understand the market and expected everyone to demand their products. That's why they're not really around anymore.

• Reply 27 of 151
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    They might not any respectable philosophy or principles worth admiring but they know how to make money. This shows they had no leg up over any other smartphone vendor and could be argued that they were below many others but they are now the only other vendor to be making any real money in the handset market besides Apple. I don't think the ends justifies the means but you can't argue that they have worked quickly to dominate the Android-based market.

Sammy makes money by stealing, copying, bribing, etc. it's shameful. They are like those sub prime mortgage companies. Can't wait for Sammy's bubble to burst in consumer electronics.
  • Reply 28 of 151
    scotty321scotty321 Posts: 313member

Am I the only person on the planet who DOESN'T WANT A FREAKING LARGER IPHONE?!?! I don't have INSPECTOR GADGET THUMBS. I want to use my phone ONE HANDED, and my thumb already can't reach the far corners of the iPhone 5S. The iPhone 5S is already slightly larger than the perfect size for me, AND it easily fits in my pocket. I don't want to the iPhone to become one of those stupidly & enormously large phablets -- you can't use them one-handed, they don't fit in your pocket, they are absolutely HORRENDOUS. Keep the iPhone freaking small!

• Reply 29 of 151
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Jtschultz93 View Post

Tech blogging articles are generally good reads. I follow 3 or 4 Android sites and about the same that are Apple centric. The majority of articles I read are relatively neutral (The Verge, Engadget etc), but there is no one else like DED. He is the Apple equivalent of Rush Limbaugh. You guys all rejoice as if he spouts such wisdom. Just as with Rush he utilizes "confirmation" instead of "information". He digs up specific factual bits, omits the inconvenient contradictory points. And the fans go wild!!

Where are these "inconvenient contradictory points"? Or are you omitting them because it's better for your Limbaugh-style criticism to dangle contemptuous criticism without backing it up with anything at all? Or are you being wildly sarcastic? 

• Reply 30 of 151
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    scotty321 wrote: »
    Am I the only person on the planet who DOESN'T WANT A FREAKING LARGER IPHONE?!?! I don't have INSPECTOR GADGET THUMBS. I want to use my phone ONE HANDED, and my thumb already can't reach the far corners of the iPhone 5S. The iPhone 5S is already slightly larger than the perfect size for me, AND it easily fits in my pocket. I don't want to the iPhone to become one of those stupidly & enormously large phablets -- you can't use them one-handed, they don't fit in your pocket, they are absolutely HORRENDOUS. Keep the iPhone freaking small!

Calm down. Chillax.
  • Reply 31 of 151
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by scotty321 View Post

My Wife uses both hands... but she still won't give up her 4S.

One handed operation is a false god, imo.

• Reply 32 of 151
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    scotty321 wrote: »

I don't want an excessively larger iPhone either but I do want a larger display. I think the iPhone 5 moving to a 16:9 4" size proved a larger display was possible without adding weight or thickness or making one-handed operation too much harder without sufficient additions to usability. Now that they are at 16:9 I doubt the same could happen again so brilliantly but perhaps with a thinner casing, smaller side bezels, and curved edges instead or being squared off they could reduce the negatives enough to make a larger display a worthwhile option. My estimates have that maximum at about 4.4", not 4.7", so I'll have to wait to reserve final judgment, I just hope the 4" is still available indefinitely if I find the rumoured 4.7" too big for my needs.
  • Reply 33 of 151
    maccherrymaccherry Posts: 924member
    All I know is that my girlfriend will and I mean WILL, be in line for me when the new iPhone drops. And yes, I think it is safe to safe that sexy mofo will be BIG! And I'm getting it come hell or high effing water!!!!!!
    Samsung can suck off!
  • Reply 34 of 151
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

I don't have INSPECTOR GADGET THUMBS.

Go go gadget double jointedness!

I’ll say again, though. I’m sort of warming to 4.7”.

• Reply 35 of 151
    fracfrac Posts: 480member
    @DED [I]et al[/I]
    Wow...that's great coffee you have there :smokey:
    and an enjoyable meaty article.
    Off topic...are you still biking?

Edit: add et al
  • Reply 36 of 151
    iuseamac2iuseamac2 Posts: 2member
    Great overview, one pedantic quibble:

"In 2005, smartphone market leader Nokia introduced its N70 flagship with a 2.1 inch screen. Just prior to Apple's iPhone launch, Nokia unveiled the N95, with a 2.6 inch display, which like the iPod, was complimented by physical controls positioned below the screen."

"complemented," not "complimented"
  • Reply 37 of 151
    [quote name="Corrections" url="/t/179069/before-apples-iphone-was-too-small-it-was-too-monstrously-big#post_2528206"]
    Where are these "inconvenient contradictory points"? Or are you omitting them because it's better for your Limbaugh-style criticism to dangle contemptuous criticism without backing it up with anything at all? Or are you being wildly sarcastic? 

Let's see.. "even the 5C continued to outsell all Android flagship ALL WINTER". Try launch month only..how long is winter in Apple-land?
  • Reply 38 of 151
    macvictamacvicta Posts: 346member
    Quote:

Am I the only person on the planet who DOESN'T WANT A FREAKING LARGER IPHONE?!?!

Yes.

• Reply 39 of 151
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,329member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Jtschultz93 View Post

Why don't you name those sites, so that we can decide if you are just a newly self anointed tech expert or someone that we need to send a "TROLL HUNTER" after.

For the record, I don't frequent Android sites as I don't have any need of them, but I don't go to piss there either.

• Reply 40 of 151
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Corrections View Post

But recall that AT&T/Cingular was a struggling collection of U.S. GSM networks barely supporting 2G/EDGE. Verizon scoffed at Apple, and everyone in the mobile industry suggested the company had no chance. Apple had the same sort of bottom tier partners in Japan (the only minor GSM carrier in a CDMA nation) and in a variety of other countries where its now on top. It took many years of achieving success in partnership with the weakest, most desperate players in the industry to build up to the point where it is now the top vendor in profitable phones in the US, Japan, etc. And there's still seething hatred for Apple in the UK.

AT&T/Cingular was the biggest US carrier by the end of 2006, edging out Verizon by a couple of percentage points. That's not 'struggling' in my book. Apple partnered with the biggest network in America and also the one that allowed it to make a single, global iPhone. Verizon might have been at the negotiating table at some point but AT&T/Cingular was clearly the prize.   

By 2007, Japan was not a CDMA nation, it was a UMTS nation. The majority of NTT DoCoMo's customers were already on devices supporting the GSM Association's flavour of 3G. 

I'm not saying that Apple's path to success was easy or guaranteed. However, the relationship between the carriers and the incumbent manufacturers meant that it was always going to take an outsider to revolutionise the industry.