Before Apple's iPhone was too small, it was too "monstrously" big

Comments

• Reply 121 of 151
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Frac View Post

Wir alle lieben ein bisschen Schadenfreude.

Ooooh, das klingt pervers!

• Reply 122 of 151
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Hey, same here. Thickness really does make all the difference.

Whatever you say sailor. ;)

• Reply 123 of 151
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member

Yes but the move to big screen started before LTE.

Edit: a quick search will also reveal many complaints of the iPhone's battery life.
  • Reply 124 of 151
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    reiszrie wrote: »
    If thats the best rebuttal you could give, I rest my case.

It doesn't take a genius to reach that conclusion given how it correlates.

So the only benefit gained from a bigger screen was longer battery life? Why didn't every Android phone immediately switch to a bigger screen? The first phone with a screen over 4" was the HTC HD2 which surprise surprise was a Windows phone. What was the reasoning behind that genius?

http://m.gsmarena.com/htc_hd2-2957.php
  • Reply 125 of 151
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

That would be my thought but you did make a very impressionable comment to another poster when he said that we'll know the 5C didn't sell well if it drops from the line-up entirely.

Your reply was basically to ask if the 5 didn't sell well.

Not the same thing entirely, nor am I making light of your position. Just saying that there is a lot to consider.

I'd like to see a larger screen flagship with the 5S and 5C dropping down a tier. Personally, I think that's the line-up that Apple has had in my mind for a while now (not that particular line-up, but rather, the numbers a line-up like that could produce).

I have to question whether or not keeping the 5 would have killed some 5S sales. This time around though, Apple will have size to differentiate 1st and 2nd tier... or, at least I think so.

The 5C is compatible with China's TD-LTE network, the 5 wasn't, maybe the C stands for China.

Worldwide sales of the 5C beat Android flagship sales hands down, just look at who made money.

• Reply 126 of 151
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Corrections View Post

Except that chart isn't the source for that statement. The chart is specifically sales on the top 4 US carriers, which as you know are highly subsidized and don't necessarily reflect the sales outside the U.S. They are also heavily promoted by Samsung, which has BOGO deals with many of those specific carriers.

Your first paragraph says it all.

For the rest of your diatribe to be correct it would mean that iP 5S sales must also be wrong.

It would mean that the majority of iPhones are not sold in the United States.

It would mean that iP 5C sales in the rest of the world are more equal to iP 5S sales. That the iP 5S wasn't selling as well in the rest of the world as is first believed. That Tim Cook was wrong when he said that Apple is selling more iP 5S phones than Apple's initial belief.

Logic tells me that if half the production of iPhones is sold in the US (or even 45% for that matter) and the iP 5C is slowly dropping off the map in the US (Canaccord charts); then can it be doing so much better in the rest of the world as to compensate for those lack of sales in the US, to actually propel it above the SG S4 that replaces it in November in the #2 spot in the US; that sales of the 5C are so rapid in the rest of the world that they must easily be selling close to the iP 5S in places like China and Europe, even though we have seen European sales charts showing that the 5C is not selling so well in many countries other than Great Britain. Where are these mystery iP 5C sales being made?

Yes, we all know how much you like Ben Bajarin. Isn't he the guy that gave you your inspiration for "Flawgic". In the end, though, he's just another analyst. Apple will no more let him look at the sales number than they will Gene Munster. In the end you are asking all of us to believe one analyst over another. Why? Because it fits your scenario?

Come on, Daniel. YOu have to do better than that.

Logic alone tells me you are way off base.

• Reply 127 of 151
    jpellinojpellino Posts: 700member
    Read what John Dvorak suggests concerning Apple.
    Then do the exact opposite.
    You will be happier, more productive and richer.
  • Reply 128 of 151
    Quote:

Originally Posted by scotty321 View Post

Am I the only person on the planet who DOESN'T WANT A FREAKING LARGER IPHONE?!?! I don't have INSPECTOR GADGET THUMBS. I want to use my phone ONE HANDED, and my thumb already can't reach the far corners of the iPhone 5S. The iPhone 5S is already slightly larger than the perfect size for me, AND it easily fits in my pocket. I don't want to the iPhone to become one of those stupidly & enormously large phablets -- you can't use them one-handed, they don't fit in your pocket, they are absolutely HORRENDOUS. Keep the iPhone freaking small!

No, you're not. Has anyone tried to point a gun at a suspect while trying to operate their phone with the other hand? It helps to be able to operate it one-handed and not have to point the gun away to use it (this includes not just calling, but using the camera and other functions as well). Apple researched what was the best form factor for a mobile device, and even marketed the fact that with the bigger iPhone 5 (remember the thumb movement animation?), you could still use it one handed and still fit it in a pocket (even if barely on both counts). It would be a shame if the newer one was unusable one-handed. I'm sure they'll think of something, though (they always have).

As to those clamoring for two-handed use, or who suffer hulk hands or Samsung Phablet-envy, there's the ever more useful iPad, its mini form factor being highly portable, yet big enough to rub in your Phablet toting friends' faces (apart from, like the iPhone as well, being absolutely superior in every single possible way to anything Android). The only thing missing is actual phone functionality, which perhaps Apple should add once and for all (and to the bigger iPad as well). It already has cellular service that can use the same service as one's cell phone, so it's not even much of a stretch. Considering the iPhone is so much more than a phone, it wouldn't necessarily be bad or difficult to add phone functionality to the tablets as well. :)

As the phone functionality becomes secondary to the device's other functions (camera, internet, software) and other communications options (messaging, chats, data sharing, software, e-mail, web), perhaps we should stop calling them phones and rethink the name and purpose. I guess size becomes a moot point at that point, but some still clamor for the practicality of a one-handed use device either way (although an Airplay enabled gun with a screen might be an alternative ;) hehe).

Just pondering...

• Reply 129 of 151
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by Numenorean View Post

Has anyone tried to point a gun at a suspect while trying to operate their phone with the other hand?

This sentence worried me for a bit, but then I thought, “Hey, that works out. Cop has the guy cornered, takes a picture, facial recognition runs it through a database, he sees it’s not actually the serial child rapist he’s looking for, and he apologizes to the kindergarten teacher while the kids come out from under the desks.”

You’re right; it’s important to have one-handed operation in every single situation.

• Reply 130 of 151
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

This sentence worried me for a bit, but then I thought, “Hey, that works out. Cop has the guy cornered, takes a picture, facial recognition runs it through a database, he sees it’s not actually the serial child rapist he’s looking for, and he apologizes to the kindergarten teacher while the kids come out from under the desks.”

This happened to you as a child, didn't it.  ?8-)
  • Reply 131 of 151
    wakefinancewakefinance Posts: 855member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

You wrote, "The [Galaxy] S5 currently has the best display in a mobile phone." and then used one questionably objective result from one person that doesn't even test the iPhone 5S despite the 2011 iPhone being listed as the best overall display that Dr. Soneria has tested up until that point.

PS: People, stop writing S5 and 5S without also writing Galaxy and iPhone before it, respectively.

Yes, I wrote that because it was written by the man who tests a lot of displays but who has apparently neglected to test the iPhone 5S.  Perhaps he assumed that the same display was used in both the 5 and the 5S.

• Reply 132 of 151
    woochiferwoochifer Posts: 385member

My iPhone 5s ran out of charge the other night, so I dusted off the old iPod touch (2g) that I still keep docked on my clock radio. Having used the 5s since last September, going back to the 3.5" screen made me realize one thing -- for one-handed operation, Jobs and the original iPhone team got it right. For normal operations and gestures, the screen size felt right.

As I've indicated before, the iPhone 5s already pushes the limits of easy pocketability and one-handed operation. I've already dropped my phone a few times while pulling it out of my pant pocket -- something that never happened when I carried the iPod touch. An even larger phone certainly would not help matters.

Personally, I want Apple to continue making their flagship phone available in the smaller form factor. Right now, Apple is the only manufacturer that still makes a top-of-the-line phone in the 4" size. While the larger screen size is nice to look at, the times I've tried using the larger Android phones, they feel awkward and clumsy. Samsung even acknowledges the issue with one-handed operation by including that bizarre "one handed mode" that truncates the screen edges.

For people arguing that more people prefer the larger screen sizes, I would counter that the market does not have a true apples-to-apples comparison available to support that argument. Apple does not make a large-screened flagship model, and Android brands do not make small-screened flagship models. What's the basis for drawing conclusions based on screen size alone?

We know that on the Android side, the best selling individual models are the jumbo sized flagship models. But, is that BECAUSE of the larger screen, or because the flagship models with the higher performance and better features are ONLY available with the larger screen? If a smaller screen was such a liability, then why does the iPhone continue to grow sales and dominate among the most desirable customers? Do iPhone buyers purchase the phone despite the small screen size, or do they view the smaller form factor as an attribute?

Even when Apple goes to the rumored 4.7" iPhone 6, this won't do anything to answer the screen size question if they deprecate the 4" screen size to the 5c/s series, since the phones will potentially include numerous other refinements like Liquidmetal shells, sapphire glass, and the normal litany of performance boosts. If Apple simultaneously includes these improvements with a smaller non-gimped 4" flagship model, then we will finally have a true test case to see how many people opt for the larger screen size when offered a real choice.

• Reply 133 of 151
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

It would mean that the majority of iPhones are not sold in the United States.

Since about 2010, 60%+ of iPhones are sold outside the US.

• Reply 134 of 151
    benjamin frostbenjamin frost Posts: 7,203member

Aaaaaaagh! Day of the Thumb-Triffids!

I'm, too, warming to 4.67”.
  • Reply 135 of 151
    That wouldn't even hold correct according to the Canaccord chart he provided.

The 5C went to 3rd place in October and November and was outsold by the S4.

What none of you are appreciating is that there are no sales figures for these months, just chart positions. And seeing that 5c sales were likely to be biggest in its first month, like every iPhone before it, it is reasonable to assume that it outsold every Android flagship phone for the winter quarter.
  • Reply 136 of 151
    richl wrote: »
    The number of times I've tried to lock my iPad with my finger is embarrassing. :embarrass

When I leave my house, I'm always sticking my finger in the keyhole before realising I need a key to lock it.

My unnecessary sarcasm aside, I think you meant unlock.
  • Reply 137 of 151
    numenorean wrote: »
    No, you're not. Has anyone tried to point a gun at a suspect while trying to operate their phone with the other hand? It helps to be able to operate it one-handed and not have to point the gun away to use it (this includes not just calling, but using the camera and other functions as well). Apple researched what was the best form factor for a mobile device, and even marketed the fact that with the bigger iPhone 5 (remember the thumb movement animation?), you could still use it one handed and still fit it in a pocket (even if barely on both counts). It would be a shame if the newer one was unusable one-handed. I'm sure they'll think of something, though (they always have).

As to those clamoring for two-handed use, or who suffer hulk hands or Samsung Phablet-envy, there's the ever more useful iPad, its mini form factor being highly portable, yet big enough to rub in your Phablet toting friends' faces (apart from, like the iPhone as well, being absolutely superior in every single possible way to anything Android). The only thing missing is actual phone functionality, which perhaps Apple should add once and for all (and to the bigger iPad as well). It already has cellular service that can use the same service as one's cell phone, so it's not even much of a stretch. Considering the iPhone is so much more than a phone, it wouldn't necessarily be bad or difficult to add phone functionality to the tablets as well. :)

As the phone functionality becomes secondary to the device's other functions (camera, internet, software) and other communications options (messaging, chats, data sharing, software, e-mail, web), perhaps we should stop calling them phones and rethink the name and purpose. I guess size becomes a moot point at that point, but some still clamor for the practicality of a one-handed use device either way (although an Airplay enabled gun with a screen might be an alternative ;) hehe).

Just pondering...

Nice post.

Name change, eh? Presumably Samsung's next model will be called the iClone.
  • Reply 138 of 151

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil

This happened to you as a child, didn't it. ?

Did it? Or are you projecting?
  • Reply 139 of 151
    ihernihern Posts: 2member
    Interesting read...
  • Reply 140 of 151
    numenoreannumenorean Posts: 74member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Nice post.

Name change, eh? Presumably Samsung's next model will be called the iClone.

Thanks. :)

iClone or perhaps iWish as in iWish this was an iPhone. ;) hehe.