Apple boosts iPhone 4/4S trade-in values in handset upgrade push

Posted:
in iPhone edited May 2014
Apple on Friday launched an iPhone upgrade promotion that sweetens the deal for iPhone owners looking to step to a new iPhone 5s or 5c. Specifically, owners of iPhone 4S models can net greater trade-in incentives than usual -- up to $199.

As seen in the image above, owners of previous generation iPhones can bring their old handsets into an Apple Store for recycling, with trade-in proceeds going toward the purchase of a new iPhone 5s or 5c.

Customers can check upgrade eligibility with their wireless carrier in-store and immediately apply an iPhone's trade-in value to a new purchase.

Apple is apparently targeting iPhone 4 and 4S owners with the program as trade-in values for those devices have been boosted to up to $99 and $199, respectively. For example, the maximum $99 iPhone 4 trade-in amount can fetch a free iPhone 5c with two-year contract, while iPhone 4S trade-ins are worth up to $199, meaning some owners will be able to upgrade to a brand new iPhone 5s at no cost.

The process is based on Apple's Reuse and Recycling program, for allows customers to bring in old products that can be "recycled" for . Apple first partnered with PowerON to offer its buyback program in 2011 and recently expanded operations to include free recycling of all Apple products at all brick-and-mortar Apple Stores.

Other iPhone models are also part of the Reuse and Recycle program, including the iPhone 3G and 3GS, as well as more recent versions like the iPhone 5. Owners of the latter may not be eligible for a carrier-subsidized upgrade, however.

Outside of Apple's Reuse and Recycle program, third-party firms like Gazelle and eBay offer up to $270 in cash for 64GB iPhone 4S models. Those looking to upgrade to a newer model or simply offload old hardware can check out AppleInsider's Trade-in Guide for the latest deals.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 31
    macky the mackymacky the macky Posts: 4,801member
    THIS makes the iPhone the least expensive smart phone to own...
  • Reply 2 of 31
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    This is so tempting, but I'm holding out for the iPhone 6. By the way, this is yet another hint that it's coming soon.
  • Reply 3 of 31
    inklinginkling Posts: 768member
    It's easy to suspect that recycling means turning those still useful iPhone 4/4s phones into plastic and aluminum pop cans rather the keeping them in service, so Apple can sell more new phones. Don't do that. That's wasterful. Make sure they are reused for what they were intended. Sell them or give them to a friend or relative.
  • Reply 4 of 31
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    inkling wrote: »
    It's easy to suspect that recycling means turning those still useful iPhone 4/4s phones into plastic and aluminum pop cans rather the keeping them in service, so Apple can sell more new phones. Don't do that. That's wasterful. Make sure they are reused for what they were intended. Sell them or give them to a friend or relative.

Apple's program is called a Recycle and Reuse program for a reason. If the phone is serviceable as a resale unit or can reasonably be reconditioned it will be resold, typically overseas. Otherwise it will be recycled. My guess is that those slated for recycling can and are first canibalized for any usable components to be used in reconditioning others. For example, an iPhone 4S with a shattered and nonfunctional display but with a perfect rear glass could have that rear glass canibalized to recondition another 4S that is fine except for a cracked rear glass.
  • Reply 5 of 31
    gunner1954gunner1954 Posts: 142member
    This also helps to get many non-California-kill-switch-law compliant off the streets much faster, moving to 5s and 5c. Next, after the 6-midi and 6-maxi come out,(think of the 5s as the 6-mini) you will see a push to upgrade the non-compliant 5, particularly before July 2015.

If Apple can get 60 percent upgraded to 5c, 5s and 6 in the next year, they will be way ahead of all the other smart phone makers.
  • Reply 6 of 31
    vaporlandvaporland Posts: 358member
    But boy are those folks gonna be annoyed after the new phones are announced next month at WWDC...
  • Reply 7 of 31
    chez whiteychez whitey Posts: 148member
    iPhones resale value is impressive.
    Will sale my 5s as soon as/if 5.5" iPhone comes out
  • Reply 8 of 31
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by vaporland View Post

But boy are those folks gonna be annoyed after the new phones are announced next month at WWDC...

Why would they be announced three months before availability? Why would they be annoyed when they were too stupid and lazy to do research of their own?

• Reply 9 of 31
    ynxotynxot Posts: 1member
    I'm just gonna wait for the iPhone 6 I'm using an iPhone 4S but I'm not getting rid of it instead giving this phone to my mom so she can finally have a smartphone lol but it seems cool that Apple is going this though :)
  • Reply 10 of 31
    vaporlandvaporland Posts: 358member
    Why would they be announced three months before availability?

Seems like the usual announcement / upgrade cycle may be different this time.

The 1st iPhone was announced six months before availability.

Why would they be annoyed when they were too stupid and lazy to do research of their own?

Because people are sheep? Is that really a question, or are you just (easily) annoyed?
  • Reply 11 of 31
    gunner1954 wrote: »
    This also helps to get many non-California-kill-switch-law compliant off the streets much faster, moving to 5s and 5c. Next, after the 6-midi and 6-maxi come out,(think of the 5s as the 6-mini) you will see a push to upgrade the non-compliant 5, particularly before July 2015.

If Apple can get 60 percent upgraded to 5c, 5s and 6 in the next year, they will be way ahead of all the other smart phone makers.

I doubt the law covers existing [already sold] smartphones.
  • Reply 12 of 31
    vaporland wrote: »

Yes, because pre announcing your first product in a category in which you don't already compete doesn't hurt you (there's no existing product in your stable that's going to get passed over in favor of waiting for the new one). It actually helps as those consumers who are interested may wait rather than buy a competitor's product so you build up a volume of demand while cutting off some sales of your competitors. But once you have entered a new category, you generally don't want to demo your next version too far in advance of having it available for sale, to avoid depressing sales of you current version.
  • Reply 13 of 31

In what way does it seem that?

BECAUSE THERE WAS NOTHING ALREADY FOR SALE BEFORE THE ANNOUNCEMENT.

Because people are sheep? Is that really a question, or are you just (easily) annoyed? 

I can see that you don’t have a clue about anything you’re trying to discuss.

• Reply 14 of 31
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Oh dear what to do ... Do I keep my old 4s, now in my collection of every iPhone there has ever been, or sell it ....
  • Reply 15 of 31
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

Anyone that upgrades right now could care less...

Edit: I just read your other posts....I see I shouldn't even bother.

• Reply 16 of 31
    mvigodmvigod Posts: 172member
    Can I bring in my iPhone 4 and get 99 bucks for it even if I don't upgrade at that time?
  • Reply 17 of 31
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Anyone that upgrades right now could care less...

You mean couldn't care less...

• Reply 18 of 31
    Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

You mean couldn't care less...

I could care a little bit less than he couldn’t care.

• Reply 19 of 31
    gunner1954gunner1954 Posts: 142member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RadarTheKat View Post

I doubt the law covers existing [already sold] smartphones.

Don't over estimate the intelligence of our state representatives.

Until Apple and others complained, the proposed law did not make it clear as to the status of previously produced smart phones.

Now the proposed law states that all phones SOLD starting July 1, 2015 ( six months later than originally proposed) must incorporate kill-switch technology.

Thus Apple et. al. need to reduce their stock of older phones, else recall them from California shelves.

Of course, the remaining non-compliant phones can be sold in other states or outside the U.S., except in countries adopting similar laws, but at steeply discounted prices. For many manufacturers, that means at a loss.

• Reply 20 of 31
    benjamin frostbenjamin frost Posts: 7,203member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Oh dear what to do ... Do I keep my old 4s, now in my collection of every iPhone there has ever been, or sell it ....

If you sell it, you won't have a collection of every iPhone there has ever been, unless you have more than one.