Beats acquisition would give Iovine and Dr. Dre senior positions at Apple, report says

Comments

• Reply 21 of 599
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Claims of buying this for its Contracts with Labels or ``Streaming Service algorithms'' makes me question you folks knowledge of Apple and the actual massive streaming infrastructure Apple already has in-place, not to mention the algorithms they've been developing for the past 16 years.

Apple has been getting content producers on-board for the past 18 months.

There is something else, at work, in this arrangement.

The story is all deeper.  Companies don't spend a billion dollars without putting some thought into it.   The "layers" here are the most interesting thing.  You've got a urban music luminary,  an influential exec and a young but solid core team that is currently curating music well.   The real question is what Beats Electronics has in the pipeline whether it be software, hardware or just great ideas that meshed well with Apple. 

• Reply 22 of 599
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    danox wrote: »
    patsu wrote: »
    The Playstation division is heavily influenced by music folks. They figured out a way to make creative media staff work well with techies. Those account managers treat the game developers like talents in the music industry. Folks loved it. A lot of creative work came out of the unlikely "partnership".

Will be interesting to what Apple's choices are.

How that working out for Sony? Sony lost it's way by buying and working with content people who will never advance hardware ever.

Isn't Sony content people -- don't they still own Columbia Records & Movies?
  • Reply 23 of 599
    patsupatsu Posts: 430member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bighype View Post

Sorry but mediocre headphones ain't an iPod. What's sad is that they didn't even buy a good headphone company!

What's next for Timmy? Monster Cables? Maybe FUBU? Some other bling company?

Tim Cook really is one of the worst leaders that Apple could have picked.

They need to bring back Scott Forstall. Now that guy had a vision! Too bad Timmy axed him because he was his only competition.

Nah~ Tim is fine. He's putting in critical infrastructure that's missing from Apple. Apple didn't have enough business and manufacturing infrastructure in place. They only sold Macs through a tiny distribution by today's standard.

Now they need to improve the content infrastructure, and beef up software teams more. 

The medical R&D and fashion-oriented hires are interesting too.

Scott Forstall is an intriguing exec, but he's definitely outclassed by Cook in general.

• Reply 24 of 599
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I fail to see what personal worth has anything whatsoever to do with Apple.

Don't forget his Ph.D!

• Reply 25 of 599
    hmurchison wrote: »

Claims of buying this for its Contracts with Labels or ``Streaming Service algorithms'' makes me question you folks knowledge of Apple and the actual massive streaming infrastructure Apple already has in-place, not to mention the algorithms they've been developing for the past 16 years.

Apple has been getting content producers on-board for the past 18 months.

There is something else, at work, in this arrangement.

The story is all deeper.  Companies don't spend a billion dollars without putting some thought into it.   The "layers" here are the most interesting thing.  You've got a urban music luminary,  an influential exec and a young but solid core team that is currently curating music well.   The real question is what Beats Electronics has in the pipeline whether it be software, hardware or just great ideas that meshed well with Apple. 

We'll reasoned, we'll said!
  • Reply 26 of 599
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    I fail to see what personal worth has anything whatsoever to do with Apple.

His wealth is a direct result of his capability as a business man, and from a very young age that is not unlike Steve Job and other exceptional leaders.
  • Reply 27 of 599
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    bighype wrote: »
    Sorry but mediocre headphones ain't an iPod. What's sad is that they didn't even buy a good headphone company!

What's next for Timmy? Monster Cables? Maybe FUBU? Some other bling company?

Tim Cook really is one of the worst leaders that Apple could have picked.

They need to bring back Scott Forstall. Now that guy had a vision! Too bad Timmy axed him because he was his only competition.
    Pray tell what vision Forstall had?
  • Reply 28 of 599
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    Timing is everything and Apple is using this as a smokescreen to hide what is going on. Less than a month until WWDC and the media and analysts are taking the bait. Redirection is a magicians best friend. This will give Tim and company time to rollout the iWatch, AppleTV or what ever else they need to make happen under the radar.

This isn't to say they aren't buying Beats, but the timing seems curious.

That said I think this is a great acquisition. Two great business men that target urban youth.
  • Reply 29 of 599
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

I think it would be hilarious to see Facebook and Google stepping over one another to out bid each other on this company. Let them jack up the bids to $12 B just to keep it away from Apple. I really don't know what the benefit to Apple would be with this one. If Beats had something really unique, where are the patents? Anyone can curate music with the right talent. Are DJs really that hard to find? The licenses aren't transferrable so what is the angle?

• Reply 30 of 599
    Because Dr. Dre brings absolutely nothing to the table that would warrent his place as an Apple Exec right? Certainly not his clout as a music industry legend right?

Considering his personal net worth is $550 million dollars the guy must be doing something wrong right? Smh
    No, no, no. The Apple brand is supposed to be synonymous with class. What is classy about Jimmy Iovine and Dr Dre? Is Apple really that desperate to be thought of as "cool " by urban teenagers?
  • Reply 31 of 599
    patsupatsu Posts: 430member

*shrug* Whatever it is. People are talking about Apple today. :-)

I don't usually post here too, but today I contributed 20+ posts ?

• Reply 32 of 599
    jkichline wrote: »
    Timing is everything and Apple is using this as a smokescreen to hide what is going on. Less than a month until WWDC and the media and analysts are taking the bait. Redirection is a magicians best friend. This will give Tim and company time to rollout the iWatch, AppleTV or what ever else they need to make happen under the radar.

This isn't to say they aren't buying Beats, but the timing seems curious.

That said I think this is a great acquisition. Two great business men that target urban youth.
    Yeah, because that's Apple's problem right now: urban youth. And something they need to spend $3B on. :no:
  • Reply 33 of 599
    mstone wrote: »
    I think it would be hilarious to see Facebook and Google stepping over one another to out bid each other on this company. Let them jack up the bids to $12 B just to keep it away from Apple. I really don't know what the benefit to Apple would be with this one. If Beats had something really unique, where are the patents? Anyone can curate music with the right talent. Are DJs really that hard to find? The licenses aren't transferrable so what is the angle?
    why would Google and Facebook outbid each other over something that has no benefit to Apple? What will happen though is one of them or perhaps Amazon will acquire Spotify.
  • Reply 34 of 599

Dre: "Yo Ive. What's going down Mofo?"

Jony Ive: "Uhhhhhh........."

Dre: "What's the matter n***ger.? You never seen a Mother F**king Hip Hop Billionaire?"

Dre: "Shutup fool. Listen up. The next iPhone will be called the iBling and I want a huge gold chain attached to it so people can wear it around their necks"

Dre: "I said shutup white boy!!!! Just listen!!!! I also want a 9mm designed into it with a quick release clip cuz you never no when a gangster needs some heat. Know what I'm saying Mofo?"

Jony Ive: "Uhhhhhh.........Tim....I quit"

• Reply 35 of 599
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Financial Times reports the deal is already done aside from some last minute details.  Beats has to have patents because they've licensed beats technology to auto manufacturers and computer companies like HP.  

• Reply 36 of 599
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    [@]GadgetCanadaV2[/@], head's up, but I don't think your comment will be seen in the comedic light you intend.
  • Reply 37 of 599
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

@GadgetCanadaV2, head's up, but I don't think your comment will be seen in the comedic light you intend.

Yeah, I probably pushed the limit but did you watch the Dr Dre video? Does Apple want that in a senior position?

• Reply 38 of 599
    robbyxrobbyx Posts: 479member
    rogifan wrote: »
    Like???

Working directly with talent. Bringing in two industry luminaries to handle artist relations and essentially build a label. Why pay royalties to labels if you can work directly with the artists instead?
  • Reply 39 of 599
    hmurchison wrote: »
    Financial Times reports the deal is already done aside from some last minute details.  Beats has to have patents because they've licensed beats technology to auto manufacturers and computer companies like HP.  
    Why would Apple want their audio technology? If they were after that why not buy a company with a good reputation? There's plenty of companies with better sound quality than Beats.
  • Reply 40 of 599
    mstone wrote: »

Beats has the talent, experience, connections and chops -- not too easy to attain or buy!

Iovine has 40 plus years of experience in the record industry at all levels -- and is currently CEO of a record company. It's not about DJs and I've read that the licenses are transferable.