Beats acquisition would give Iovine and Dr. Dre senior positions at Apple, report says

Comments

• Reply 61 of 599
    patsupatsu Posts: 430member
    apple ][ wrote: »
    Dr. Dre once said in an interview with MTV - "I don't care about those people", in response to all of the gay-bashing on an Eminem album.

I thought that Tim Cook and Apple were against homophobes, or was all that just talk? :lol:

Well, I'm sure that there are plenty of bitches and ho's out there that don't yet own any Apple products, so they might as well start marketing to them. 

I think that Apple should use this song in their next commercial, since they're obviously heading in a bolder, new direction now. Apple will be so cool now.

<strong style="border-bottom-style:none;border-bottom-width:0px;border-left-style:none;border-left-width:0px;border-right-style:none;border-right-width:0px;border-top-style:none;border-top-width:0px;margin-bottom:0px;margin-left:0px;margin-right:0px;margin-top:0px;padding-bottom:0px;padding-left:0px;padding-right:0px;padding-top:0px;">"**** You"</strong>
    <br style="border-bottom-style:none;border-bottom-width:0px;border-left-style:none;border-left-width:0px;border-right-style:none;border-right-width:0px;border-top-style:none;border-top-width:0px;margin-bottom:0px;margin-left:0px;margin-right:0px;margin-top:0px;padding-bottom:0px;padding-left:0px;padding-right:0px;padding-top:0px;">
    <strong style="border-bottom-style:none;border-bottom-width:0px;border-left-style:none;border-left-width:0px;border-right-style:none;border-right-width:0px;border-top-style:none;border-top-width:0px;margin-bottom:0px;margin-left:0px;margin-right:0px;margin-top:0px;padding-bottom:0px;padding-left:0px;padding-right:0px;padding-top:0px;">(feat. Devin the Dude, Snoop Dogg)</strong>

<em style="border-bottom-style:none;border-bottom-width:0px;border-left-style:none;border-left-width:0px;border-right-style:none;border-right-width:0px;border-top-style:none;border-top-width:0px;margin-bottom:0px;margin-left:0px;margin-right:0px;margin-top:0px;padding-bottom:0px;padding-left:0px;padding-right:0px;padding-top:0px;">[Dr. Dre]</em>
    <br style="border-bottom-style:none;border-bottom-width:0px;border-left-style:none;border-left-width:0px;border-right-style:none;border-right-width:0px;border-top-style:none;border-top-width:0px;margin-bottom:0px;margin-left:0px;margin-right:0px;margin-top:0px;padding-bottom:0px;padding-left:0px;padding-right:0px;padding-top:0px;">

I just wanna **** bad bitches<br style="border-bottom-style:none;border-bottom-width:0px;border-left-style:none;border-left-width:0px;border-right-style:none;border-right-width:0px;border-top-style:none;border-top-width:0px;margin-bottom:0px;margin-left:0px;margin-right:0px;margin-top:0px;padding-bottom:0px;padding-left:0px;padding-right:0px;padding-top:0px;">

All them nights I never had bitches<br style="border-bottom-style:none;border-bottom-width:0px;border-left-style:none;border-left-width:0px;border-right-style:none;border-right-width:0px;border-top-style:none;border-top-width:0px;margin-bottom:0px;margin-left:0px;margin-right:0px;margin-top:0px;padding-bottom:0px;padding-left:0px;padding-right:0px;padding-top:0px;">

Now I'm all up in that ass bitches<br style="border-bottom-style:none;border-bottom-width:0px;border-left-style:none;border-left-width:0px;border-right-style:none;border-right-width:0px;border-top-style:none;border-top-width:0px;margin-bottom:0px;margin-left:0px;margin-right:0px;margin-top:0px;padding-bottom:0px;padding-left:0px;padding-right:0px;padding-top:0px;">

Mad at 'cha boyfriend, aint 'cha?

:lol:  

If the relationship is serious, both of them will have obligations to keep their new act reasonably clean. Then let's see how long they last.

There may be strings and schedules attached.
  • Reply 62 of 599
    jonljonl Posts: 210member

Dre better be issued an interior office in the spaceship to reduce the drive-by risk.

• Reply 63 of 599
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    What is sad is that you read something unsubstantiated then run around screaming the sky is falling like [@]snova[/@] and [@]pazuzu[/@] without taking any time to try to comprehend the information or wait for a confirmation of any sort before freaking out. This it's-on-the-internet-so-it-must-be-true mentality is not only pathetic but also annoying.

Well, his handle is "big hype". Not "big facts."
  • Reply 64 of 599
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I'm surprised by the fact that you are prejudging this -- you are usually one of the people I expect to offer a fair and reasoned opinion. Not saying that you're not doing this here -- but I hope you will just look at the potential upside/downside and reserve judgement until the facts are known.

What are the upsides to this?  Dr. Dre in Apple's upper management?  There's no upside to that.

Apple selling crappy headphones?  There's no upside to that.

Apple using Beat's subscription service when they can just do it themselves?

What's the potential reason to waste $3.2 Billion on a headphone mfg that has a subscription service that Apple can easily do themselves?

If they bought the headphone mfg, it would certainly upset the other mfg that sell through Apple.  That's not a good thing if they want to offer a wide range of headphones.

• Reply 65 of 599
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member

Apple could have spent 3.2B on their Cloud and DC and create a Lock in that cannot be easily rivaled.

Instead they buy Beats?

And saying Beats are premium? I think they are high quality,but definitely not in the premium range. B&W are premium.

All Just because of Iovine? Unless the contract say acquiring him would get Apple the Music Streaming Services at the rate Apple want, otherwise this is just insane.

• Reply 66 of 599
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Here's the way I'd do it:

Beats streaming subscription is $5.00/.month to all comers ..

With each purchase of an iDevice you get 1 year of free iBeats & iCloud Match.
  • Reply 67 of 599
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by drblank View Post

If they bought the headphone mfg, it would certainly upset the other mfg that sell through Apple.  That's not a good thing if they want to offer a wide range of headphones.

Am I to believe that Apple, the company which has made so many revolutionary devices, is not capable of making their own headphones, and they need to acquire another brand that is mediocre at best, and which has already been featured in many of their competitor's failed products? It's not rocket science, and Apple has all of the resources and money in the world, not to mention the best designers and engineers.

If that's the case, then my faith in Apple will have dramatically gone down.

• Reply 68 of 599
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I'm surprised by the fact that you are prejudging this -- you are usually one of the people I expect to offer a fair and reasoned opinion. Not saying that you're not doing this here -- but I hope you will just look at the potential upside/downside and reserve judgement until the facts are known.
    The fact we've gone a day and a half with dead silence from Apple pretty much tells me this is a done deal. I'm just venting right now because I think it's a stupid idea. Especially the notion that Apple needs the Beats brand to become cool with teenagers. Or that someone like Dr Dre would become an Apple executive. I'm still hoping its just a bad dream and I'll wake up to hear Apple played us all.
  • Reply 69 of 599
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member

Gross.

Who gives a flying f@#k about hip hop?

• Reply 70 of 599
    splifsplif Posts: 603member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I agree. I can't see how gangster rap and Apple elegance can coexist, although they have a lot of that type of music on iTunes Store. There has got to be some other secret ingredient that we don't know about at this point.

Of course Rock -n- Roll is full of angels. Like the Rolling Stones, Iggy Pop & Alice Cooper, etc. The later sang about screwing dead people. Though, he didn't call Cold Ethyl a bitch. ;)

• Reply 71 of 599
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jonl View Post

Dre better be issued an interior office in the spaceship to reduce the drive-by risk.

They'll have to send him to some form of ESL course so people at Apple can actually understand what he says.  Otherwise Dr. Dre is going to get the cold shoulder since he would just be a figure head for the hip hop crowd.  Maybe they could use Dr. Dre as someone to get to these losers that do the smash and grab jobs at Apple Stores.  He probably knows them or at least could find out through their little gangsta network.

• Reply 72 of 599
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    drblank wrote: »
    What are the upsides to this?  Dr. Dre in Apple's upper management?  There's no upside to that.

What's the potential reason to waste $3.2 Billion on a headphone mfg that has a subscription service that Apple can easily do themselves?

With what we know there seems to be zero upside. All we can hope for is that either there's a lot we don't know and Apple has big plans that will surprise us or they never go through with the deal.
  • Reply 73 of 599
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Splif View Post

Of course Rock -n- Roll is full of angels. Like the Rolling Stones, Iggy Pop & Alice Cooper, etc. The later sang about screwing dead people. Though, he didn't call Cold Ethyl a bitch. ;)

Get back to me when Apple hires Marilyn Manson and gives him a senior position in the company.

What's next? Is Old Dirty Bastard going to take over as CEO after Tim Cook?

Is Apple going to release their own line of gold grillz? It would match with the gold iPhone, and bitches would love it.

• Reply 74 of 599
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

What is sad is that you read something unsubstantiated then run around screaming the sky is falling like @snova and @pazuzu without taking any time to try to comprehend the information or wait for a confirmation of any sort before freaking out. This it's-on-the-internet-so-it-must-be-true mentality is not only pathetic but also annoying.

Dude - do you ever read the drek you write?

Remember when you said a decade was but 9 years? LOLOLOLOL!

Remember when you said the iPhone would never use MMS?

The iPad would never be called an iPad?

There was no need to record video on an  iPhone?

iPhone mini was only for whittled downed digits? 

Do you remember? LOLOLOLOLO!

• Reply 75 of 599
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Splif View Post

Yeah, I wouldn't know because I only listen to Radio Paradise, Bill is the best.

• Reply 76 of 599
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    pazuzu wrote: »
    Dude - do you ever read the drek you write?
    Remember when you said a decade was but 9 years? LOLOLOLOL!
    Remember when you said the iPhone would never use MMS?
    The iPad would never be called an iPad?
    There was no need to record video on an  iPhone?
    iPhone mini was only for whittled downed digits? 
    Do you remember? LOLOLOLOLO!

I'd love for you to cite where I made any such claims, Teckstud.
  • Reply 77 of 599
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    drblank wrote: »

I don't see Dr. Dre taking an active role in Apple management -- any more than AlGore or the head of the Apple db Filemaker nee Nutshell does (can't even remember the name).

Randy Ubillos does a pretty good job of overseeing FCPX and iMovie without disrupting Apple's overall plans.

For the umpteenth time it's not about headphones, rather it is a strategic move to gain a pre-eminate
    position in media streaming ...

I may be old, but I'm open minded...
  • Reply 78 of 599
    patsupatsu Posts: 430member
    ksec wrote: »
    Apple could have spent 3.2B on their Cloud and DC and create a Lock in that cannot be easily rivaled.

Instead they buy Beats?

And saying Beats are premium? I think they are high quality,but definitely not in the premium range. B&W are premium.

All Just because of Iovine? Unless the contract say acquiring him would get Apple the Music Streaming Services at the rate Apple want, otherwise this is just insane.

They are not mutually exclusive. Apple can do all the above, and more.

Remember Beats run on Android today as well. iCloud may or may not make it there.
  • Reply 79 of 599
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

His wealth is a direct result of his capability as a business man, and from a very young age that is not unlike Steve Job and other exceptional leaders.

Yes, as a businessman. Not an innovator, an inventor, a thinker, a pusher, nor even potentially the type of businessmen desired (or lacking, if any) at Apple, is all. Just as a businessman. Many shades of that.

• Reply 80 of 599
    splifsplif Posts: 603member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Get back to me when Apple hires Marilyn Manson and gives him a senior position in the company.

What's next? Is Old Dirty Bastard going to take over as CEO after Tim Cook?

Is Apple going to release their own line of gold grillz? It would match with the gold iPhone, and bitches would love it.

Lighten up, cowboy! Steve Jobs was also an angel...he would never swear in a corporate...oh wait.