Apple's iPhone beats all Android smartphone web use in North America by wide margin

245

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 95
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    spock1234 wrote: »
    I think we should have a voluntary moratorium on marketshare discussions until Android phone manufacturers release real sales numbers. 

    Then DED would literally sit around with nothing to do. But wait. And hope.
  • Reply 22 of 95
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post

     

     

    If Apple is to be 'winning', then yes, Daniel will focus on it.  In the event that Android were to overtake iOS in Chitika Insights web traffic reports, then Chitika will become the target of a heated article which will demonize them and attack their credibility as a trustworthy source.


     

    Look it's an Android clairvoyant, telling us what we're going to do...

     

    ...again.

     

    Every single time the evidence points to the truth.

     

    The majority of Android devices sold and in the hands of customers are not being used as smartphones.

  • Reply 23 of 95
    512ke512ke Posts: 782member

    It's obvious that EVERYBODY uses the web on his or her smart phone.  All those big screen Android phones are used constantly to access the web.

     

    So if Apple has way more web usage, it's obviously because way more people have iPhones than Android phones in the US.

     

    Simple.  

     

    Now we just need to work on making those kooky marketshare numbers more accurate.

  • Reply 24 of 95
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by spock1234 View Post

     

     

    Please, please, tell us you are paid by Samsung or Google to post here. It might improve our opinion of you.

     

    Getting paid to post, despicable though it might be, is infinitely better than a person willingly posting nearly 700 times, in less than a year, on a forum dedicated to a company he despises. Now, that would be really pathetic.


     

    I don't despise Apple at all.  They're a highly successful company who make good products.  As far as working to improve the opinion that spock1234 has of me as well as the others he is speaking for on their behalf, it's highly probable that I don't care what your opinion of me is.

     

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

     

     

    Look it's an Android clairvoyant, telling us what we're going to do...

     

    ...again.

     

    Every single time the evidence points to the truth.

     

    The majority of Android devices sold and in the hands of customers are not being used as smartphones.


     

    If by 'we' you mean Daniel, then yes, I must be a clairvoyant.

  • Reply 25 of 95
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by 512ke View Post

     

    It's obvious that EVERYBODY uses the web on his or her smart phone.  All those big screen Android phones are used constantly to access the web.

     

    So if Apple has way more web usage, it's obviously because way more people have iPhones than Android phones in the US.

     

    Simple.  

     

    Now we just need to work on making those kooky marketshare numbers more accurate.


     

    Don't these US web usages charts closely match the US marketshare on smartphones?  I haven't looked at any updated US marketshare charts in awhile but that was my impression.  Then again, which companies marketshare charts are currently acceptable at AI?  That one's even harder to keep up with.

  • Reply 26 of 95
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by 512ke View Post

     

    It's obvious that EVERYBODY uses the web on his or her smart phone.  All those big screen Android phones are used constantly to access the web.

     


     

    Not really. I don't think that most people have unlimited data usage with their phone plans. Data costs money.

  • Reply 27 of 95
    michael scripmichael scrip Posts: 1,916member
    droidftw wrote: »
    Don't these US web usages charts closely match the US marketshare on smartphones?  I haven't looked at any updated US marketshare charts in awhile but that was my impression.  Then again, which companies marketshare charts are currently acceptable at AI?  That one's even harder to keep up with.

    Don't forget... "market share" is just the percentage of sales over the last 3 months.

    "Installed base" would include all smartphones in use.

    Web usage would be affected by the installed base more than just the phones sold over the last quarter.
  • Reply 28 of 95
    heliahelia Posts: 170member
    But but but android has 250% market share! /s
  • Reply 29 of 95
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    droidftw wrote: »
    If Apple is to be 'winning', then yes, Daniel will focus on it.  In the event that Android were to overtake iOS in Chitika Insights web traffic reports, then Chitika will become the target of a heated article which will demonize them and attack their credibility as a trustworthy source.

    ...is your usename REALLY "droidFTW"??

    Have our standards dropped so low nowadays?
    If so, I guess it's time for a new username. I'll call myself "chineseknockoffRULEZ"
  • Reply 30 of 95
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,295member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

     

    Android users are obviously less productive than Apple users. 

     

    They're also less likely to spend any money on apps or web services, such as paying to use WIFI on flights. Many of them probably don't even own any passports.

     

    The worst thing that could happen to Android is if the world wide economy improves. Poor people are Android's greatest asset.


    Such a misguided person you are. You must feel so great and powerful using your iDevice and think you are so much better than everyone else. 

     

    Also, 8.6 point is NOT "by wide margin". 25 points and you are starting to get there.

  • Reply 31 of 95
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    That's because Android users don't have brains, just an empty void. They can't read, or view pictures so the web is entirely useless.

    Except for Gatorguy. :lol:
  • Reply 32 of 95
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by cali View Post





    ...is your usename REALLY "droidFTW"??



    Have our standards dropped so low nowadays?

    If so, I guess it's time for a new username. I'll call myself "chineseknockoffRULEZ"

     

    Kudos for your thoughtful and well articulated contribution.  I can see you are going to be a valuable asset here at AI.  :rolleyes:

  • Reply 33 of 95
    benjamin frostbenjamin frost Posts: 7,203member
    gwmac wrote: »
    mjtomlin wrote: »
     

    It depends on what Chitika actually monitors? Web traffic is not the same thing as web browser usage. If Chitika is monitoring http requests, those can also come from apps, not just browsers.
    http://chitika.com/insights/methodology

    I don't see how Chitka could register a hit from an app with that methodology. They seem to function a lot like Google analytics with some code on the website.
     
    I would imagine that if it were possible to produce stats for the amount of time spent in apps, Apple would beat Android by the same margin or more that it does with web surfing.
    Maybe it would and maybe it wouldn't. That is purely a wild guess. But I am pretty confident that people regardless of platform are using their smart phone apps a lot more than to surf the web now with a browser. With millions of apps for both platforms why wouldn't they. teenagers and college students for example might spend 90% of their time on Yik Yak, guilt, snapchat, and instagram and never open a web browser at all. 

    There's no 'maybe' about it. Apple would Beat Android, and that's the end of the matter.
  • Reply 34 of 95
    saltyzipsaltyzip Posts: 193member
  • Reply 35 of 95
    benjamin frostbenjamin frost Posts: 7,203member
    saltyzip wrote: »

    From the same article:

    'while iOS devices still generate 52 percent of the total revenue compared with 33 percent for Android.'

    Same old, same old.
  • Reply 36 of 95
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

     

    Give me a break. I don't choose my doctor over the phone he uses. And who said anything about storing any personal info on his phone? It is a handy reference for checking meds and other things. Medscape, Epocrates, Medline, iPharmcy, etc..are all available on Android and are reference tools for him. In addition to being my doctor he is also a friend and I have discussed this with him. He said he chose Android because it gets the job done and he can't stand using am iPhone because the display is too small. An iPad is too big to carry around all day. He has a Galaxy Note 3 which has knox and is a good size for him to carry in his lab coat pocket and also easy on his eyes. If your doctor is storing your records on an iPhone maybe you are the one who needs a new doctor. He said if Apple releases a 5.5" iPhone he will likely switch. He probably makes well more than 300K a year easily so I don't think he is poor nor uninformed. He bought a new mac Pro as well so he is not anti-Apple just anti 4" display. 


     

    I wouldn't trust a doctor who is so visually impaired.

     

    It wouldn't be Dr Doolittle by any chance?

  • Reply 37 of 95
    benjamin frostbenjamin frost Posts: 7,203member
    saltyzip wrote: »

    From the same article:

    'Of Android's 43 percent of the market, 41 percent is ads on phones, and only 1.5 percent on tablets. Of the 38 percent of mobile ad traffic that ends up on iOS devices, 25 percent goes to iPhones, 10 percent to iPads, and three percent to iPod Touch devices.'

    Apple has a much healthier ratio of iPhone to iPad traffic. Android has a mere 1.5% on tablets; pathetic.

    Where are all these Android tablets? There is no tablet market; there is an iPad market.
  • Reply 38 of 95
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by saltyzip View Post



    Android overtakes iOS on mobile ad traffic

    http://www.zdnet.com/android-overtakes-ios-on-mobile-ad-traffic-7000028643/

     

    Yuck, that was always one statistic that I was happy to concede.  I'm not a fan of seeing ads which is why I use the ad blocker AdAway on my phone.  It never bothered me to see the diehard iOS fans brag about how they recieved more ads then Android users.

  • Reply 39 of 95
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post

     

     

    I don't despise Apple at all.  They're a highly successful company who make good products.  As far as working to improve the opinion that spock1234 has of me as well as the others he is speaking for on their behalf, it's highly probable that I don't care what your opinion of me is.

     

     

    If by 'we' you mean Daniel, then yes, I must be a clairvoyant.


     

    We as in appleinsiders, people interested in Apple who have to put up with a constant stream of trash talk by people unwilling to accept the truth.

     

    Overall based on almost any metric iOS is the superior product, Android is a sham marketed by shysters.

  • Reply 40 of 95
    @gwmac

    Do you know why Samsung makes a larger display phone?

    Because they can't make a smaller phone and match the iPhone's specs.

    They MUST make the device bigger in order to have a removable battery.
    They MUST make the battery bigger in order to match the iPhone's power.
    They MUST make the device bigger in order to provide the memory capacity of the iPhone using a space hog like memory card slots.

    Samsung spun the bigger display as innovation, when in reality, it's anti-innovation.

    Anyone can make a bigger device.
    Miniaturization (making it smaller and more powerful) is the tricky part.

    Apple's big iPhone is called iPad mini. If Apple releases a bigger display iPhone they need to have found a reason for it to exist.

    Not just because they can.
Sign In or Register to comment.