Apple's iPhone beats all Android smartphone web use in North America by wide margin

Comments

• Reply 41 of 95
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cotten990 View Post

@gwmac

Do you know why Samsung makes a larger display phone?

Because they can't make a smaller phone and match the iPhone's specs.

They MUST make the device bigger in order to have a removable battery.

They MUST make the battery bigger in order to match the iPhone's power.

They MUST make the device bigger in order to provide the memory capacity of the iPhone using a space hog like memory card slots.

Samsung spun the bigger display as innovation, when in reality, it's anti-innovation.

Anyone can make a bigger device.

Miniaturization (making it smaller and more powerful) is the tricky part.

Apple's big iPhone is called iPad mini. If Apple releases a bigger display iPhone they need to have found a reason for it to exist.

Not just because they can.

And you know why Apple is about to make a bigger phone? Because people want it. 

Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

I wouldn't trust a doctor who is so visually impaired.

It wouldn't be Dr Doolittle by any chance?

The 4" is dead. Get over it. Apple will release a larger iPhone this year and the 4" will be relegated to c class status. How pathetic that you have to resort to attacking a doctor you know nothing about because he doesn't want a teensy weeny 4" phone to look at all day long and I don't blame him. Guess what, over 50% of people over the age of 20 are visually impaired to some degree and that rate goes up by higher at each age group. My doctor can see just fine and probably much better by not having to strain to look at 4" display all day long. If you choose a doctor based on their use of iOS that is really pretty pathetic. 

• Reply 42 of 95
    mistercowmistercow Posts: 157member

So what this is saying is it takes Apple users twice as long to do something on the web as someone using Android.  Interesting.

• Reply 43 of 95
    froodfrood Posts: 771member
    I'll give Daniel props for the '53.1 percent MAJORITY' vs 'JUST 44.5 percent' headline that makes it sound like a plausibly large gap.

No props, but a seriously good chuckle, over the 'Apple's lead over Android is 43 TIMES LARGER then Windows lead over Blackberry'

More astonishing than that fact would be that Apple's lead over Android is more than 9384832 times larger than the amount of girl scout cookies my neighbors daughter sold.

9384832 times larger is WAY more than 43 times larger! Go Apple!
  • Reply 44 of 95
    nikiloknikilok Posts: 383member
    gwmac wrote: »
    I use the web less and less on my phone. I have an app for pretty much everything. For news, plenty of news apps, for movies-IMDB, restaurants-several apps. I use music apps, check in on games to do various tasks, and use a wide variety of apps but really not the web itself through safari very much at all. I doubt I am alone. I have an iPhone 5s by the way. Is surfing the web really a good indicator of smartphone usage now with so many dedicated apps that might not get measured? The web might provide the backbone for all these apps but I just don't see the need to use a browser since it is clunkier and takes more steps to get the info I want.

When a company like Chitika gets stats on Web Usage it's not necessarily those web requests made by your phones browser (Safari), it could also be web content requested by Apps on your phone.
    Take Facebook paper for instance. You have a native app that pulls down HTML content from the web and renders it inside the app. This also counts towards web traffic. A lot of native apps make web requests and render parts of the web within itself. So although you don't directly surf the web via your browser, the apps you use could serve you web content.
  • Reply 45 of 95
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    cotten990 wrote: »
    @gwmac

Do you know why Samsung makes a larger display phone?

Because they can't make a smaller phone and match the iPhone's specs.

They MUST make the device bigger in order to have a removable battery.
    They MUST make the battery bigger in order to match the iPhone's power.
    They MUST make the device bigger in order to provide the memory capacity of the iPhone using a space hog like memory card slots.

Samsung spun the bigger display as innovation, when in reality, it's anti-innovation.

Anyone can make a bigger device.
    Miniaturization (making it smaller and more powerful) is the tricky part.

Apple's big iPhone is called iPad mini. If Apple releases a bigger display iPhone they need to have found a reason for it to exist.

Not just because they can.

And you know this how?
  • Reply 46 of 95

There is no proof of this. There may be a SMALL number of people that may make the size of the screen as the major factor, but that means they would be giving up ecosystem, quality apps, and security. Android is a platform to promote Googles advertising.

The 4" is dead. Get over it. Apple will release a larger iPhone this year and the 4" will be relegated to c class status. How pathetic that you have to resort to attacking a doctor you know nothing about because he doesn't want a teensy weeny 4" phone to look at all day long and I don't blame him. Guess what, over 50% of people over the age of 20 are visually impaired to some degree and that rate goes up by higher at each age group. My doctor can see just fine and probably much better by not having to strain to look at 4" display all day long. If you choose a doctor based on their use of iOS that is really pretty pathetic. 

I would not want my doctor to keep my records on an insecure device powered by Google manufactured by a company that can't write its own software,let alone an operating system.

Tell your doctor to buy an iPad mini.
  • Reply 47 of 95
    mistercow wrote: »
    So what this is saying is it takes Apple users twice as long to do something on the web as someone using Android.  Interesting.

Slow ass connection. ;)
  • Reply 48 of 95
    Quote:

There is no proof of this. There may be a SMALL number of people that may make the size of the screen as the major factor, but that means they would be giving up ecosystem, quality apps, and security. Android is a platform to promote Googles advertising.

I would not want my doctor to keep my records on an insecure device powered by Google manufactured by a company that can't write its own software,let alone an operating system.

Tell your doctor to buy an iPad mini.

Wow can you read. As I explained before my doctor doesn't keep any records on his Android phone. I also wouldn't want him to keep records on an iPhone or iPad either which are not completely secure and can be stolen. All patient data is kept on computers in his office which I like to think are somewhat more secure or hard copy. He uses medical reference apps to check drug dosages, contraindications, etc.. No doctor can be expected to have all the millions of things a doctor needs to know memorized so it is a lot handier than using books or going back to his office and computer to check those things and it is a lot easier to type on a big screen than on a 4" screen. It is not only easier to read on a larger display but people forget how much easier it is to type on a bigger screen especially if you are good at swype and have added a lot of those medical terms to your database.

• Reply 49 of 95
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    chandra69 wrote: »
    Android's 44.5 is not less!  Seriously!  

53% compared to 44% is about 20%+ difference. That's enough to say Beats(pun intended). Seriously. Now if the difference was even greater, them a more appropriate word might be slaughters or destroys, but beats is appropriate.
  • Reply 50 of 95
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    Beating them by a few percentage combined = wide margins?
  • Reply 51 of 95
    Wow can you read. As I explained before my doctor doesn't keep any records on his Android phone. I also wouldn't want him to keep records on an iPhone or iPad either which are not completely secure and can be stolen. All patient data is kept on computers in his office which I like to think are somewhat more secure or hard copy. He uses medical reference apps to check drug dosages, contraindications, etc.. No doctor can be expected to have all the millions of things a doctor needs to know memorized so it is a lot handier than using books or going back to his office and computer to check those things and it is a lot easier to type on a big screen than on a 4" screen. It is not only easier to read on a larger display but people forget how much easier it is to type on a bigger screen especially if you are good at swype and have added a lot of those medical terms to your database.

What is the purpose of having a bigger screen if you can't access a patients X-ray or history on it? You think a computer can't be stolen or hacked?

And what part of "buy an iPad mini" don't you understand?
  • Reply 52 of 95
    d4njvrzfd4njvrzf Posts: 797member
    Quote:

Hospitals still use PC's running Windows XP.

• Reply 53 of 95

What is the purpose of having a bigger screen if you can't access a patients X-ray or history on it? You think a computer can't be stolen or hacked?

And what part of "buy an iPad mini" don't you understand?

Are you purposefully trying to be obtuse? I already stated there are computers for that sort of thing along with hard paper records as well as a back up. Most doctor visits do not need X-Rays in any case unless you are an oncologist. Nothing is 100% safe but very few people would bother to break into a doctor's office to steal their computers or records, They would break in for drugs or things they can hock. He uses what he uses because it works for him. He has both a PhD. and M.D.  degree so I think I will trust him a little more than some anon dude off the internet. If he says his Note 3 works better for a quick reference tool over an iPhone I believe him. As I said before not only because of the larger display for reading but also for the larger keyboard for typing. He also said he would be glad to switch to an iPhone when  a larger one is released. Why are you people so defensive that some people simply do not like or refuse to use the 4" version? You would think someone personally insulted your wife. 

• Reply 54 of 95
    d4njvrzfd4njvrzf Posts: 797member
    Quote:

Actually, some hospitals are developing the ability to beam a patient's records to doctors' mobile devices, such as Google Glass (http://www.bostonglobe.com/business/2014/04/08/beth-israel-use-google-glass-throughout-emergency-room/WhIXcVzkpn7MOCAhKuRJZL/story.html)

• Reply 55 of 95
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

4" is the size of the biggest selling smartphone of all time.

It's not the size of the screen it's the size of the content on the screen, your fictitious "doctor friend" doesn't have a clue.

Go and play with the other children in the samsung factory

What is dead is the number of Samsung premium phones ending up in the hands of paying customers..

Carry on with the Samsung marketing as outlined in an email from a Samsung executive presented as evidence in the recent trial, and I quote:-

"- PR attack plan by pointing out iPhone 5's weakness (small 4 inch LCD size)"

Obviously the "attack plan" is still in full swing.

• Reply 56 of 95
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

And you know this how?

Galaxy S3 Mini

Galaxy S4 Mini

• Reply 57 of 95
    hill60 wrote: »
    Galaxy S3 Mini

Galaxy S4 Mini

That they didn't isn't proof that they couldn't.
  • Reply 58 of 95
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    That they didn't isn't proof that they couldn't.

Sony managed it, perhaps it is beyond the scope of a sleazy company like Samsung who can only get performance by hiding a massive battery behind an oversized screen.
  • Reply 59 of 95
    hill60 wrote: »
    Sony managed it, perhaps it is beyond the scope of a sleazy company like Samsung who can only get performance by hiding a massive battery behind an oversized screen.

I'll agree that they're sleazy, but I don't believe for a second that it's beyond Samsung's scope to build a high end device with a smaller screen.
  • Reply 60 of 95
    mistercowmistercow Posts: 157member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Why wouldn't the converse be true then? Apple can only get away with its better performance by hiding behind a smaller screen and that's why they've stuck with a 4 inch.