Google buys developer of featured iPhone app 'Word Lens'

Comments

• Reply 21 of 122
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple v. Samsung View Post

I am curious what is so bad about Google buying this. So far whenever Google makes an acquisition they either improve it or merge it into an all ready existing product. I prefer Google buying things like this because I know the app can still be used by all of my friends regardless of is. When apple buys an app its almost certain thing that app or service will go apple only.

The bought SimplifyMedia, which was an iOS exclusive and a great media stream app and killed it.

• Reply 22 of 122
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bighype View Post

Great, now there's zero good translation apps on App Store. 

Except for the best one ever made.

• Reply 23 of 122
    bighypebighype Posts: 148member
    mstone wrote: »
    Except for the best one ever made.

Google Translate doesn't have image recognition.
  • Reply 24 of 122
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by SirLance99 View Post

That's ok, I'll download it for you. So will many others.

Nope.

So you are saying no other company is supposed to buy other companies except for Apple? Apple is the only company allowed to make products? 

• Reply 25 of 122
    christopher126christopher126 Posts: 4,366member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by gregnacu View Post

Good-bye word lens.  Don't you love how Google buys up everything cool?

I don't want Apple to buy up companies just to protect them, but it seems like the only way to prevent Google or Facebook or some other company from snatching them up.

I just pisses me off that cool tech companies doing neat stuff end up being owned by Companies whose products and services I don't want to touch with a ten-foot pole.  I mean now what? I'll never get to use Nest, or WordLense, or Occulus Rift.  Like, F-off big goliathes that I hate.

My sentiments, exactly, gregnacu.

• Reply 26 of 122
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I'd rather see Apple make tons of small acquisitions like this than spend $3B for overpriced trendy headphones. Yeah it does bother me a bit that big companies come in and scoop up small,cool apps. But that's the way of the world and if Apple doesn't do it than Google, Facebook or Amazon will.
  • Reply 27 of 122
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    magman1979 wrote: »
    And here I was thinking about downloading this app, now that Google got it's ugly paws on it, no way. Shame, was looking like a useful app to have.

It's probably going to disappear from the App Store anyway. I messed around with it on Glass, and it was pretty neat, when it worked. So long innovative developers! Now they've crossed the event horizon of Google's black hole, never to return.
  • Reply 28 of 122
    macvicta wrote: »
    Instead of bitching and moaning about Google, you should be lamenting the fact that Apple lacked the foresight to buy such a potentially transformative app and integrate it into their own operating system. Apple looked at it and only saw a neat commercial.

And you know this how?? Perhaps Apple is two-weeks away from announcing a more integrated translation solution to the iOS. Perhaps Google outbid Apple by paying several times over what it was worth? We are not on the "outside looking in," we are only speculating in our blindness...
  • Reply 29 of 122
    bighype wrote: »
    Apple's becoming a fashion company under Cook's horrible leadership. This is expected.

Facebook is buying communications, VR, AI companies, Google's buying AI, robotics companies and Apple's buying urban/ghetto fashion brands.

So what?
    How is that a problem for you?
  • Reply 30 of 122
    macvictamacvicta Posts: 346member
    And you know this how?? Perhaps Apple is two-weeks away from announcing a more integrated translation solution to the iOS.
    Yeah right. The only thing Apple is two weeks from announcing is Dr. Dre's new parking spot in Cupertino.
  • Reply 31 of 122
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

This app is pretty cool. I remember downloading the demo of it when it came out a while back.

I just downloaded it again and grabbed all of the language packs for free, just in case. You never know when you'll end up in some foreign country and need to translate strange signs.

Why didn't Apple buy this? What's more impressive, this or a pair of urban headphones? :rolleyes:

• Reply 32 of 122
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by MacVicta View Post

Yeah right. The only thing Apple is two weeks from announcing is Dr. Dre's new parking spot in Cupertino.

WWDC, man. Who knows what we’ll see.

• Reply 33 of 122
    macvicta wrote: »
    Instead of bitching and moaning about Google, you should be lamenting the fact that Apple lacked the foresight to buy such a potentially transformative app and integrate it into their own operating system. Apple looked at it and only saw a neat commercial.

Wasn't aware you spoke for Apple, Inc. Did the company authorize you to make this disclosure? Yes or no?
  • Reply 34 of 122
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple v. Samsung View Post

I am curious what is so bad about Google buying this. So far whenever Google makes an acquisition they either improve it or merge it into an all ready existing product. I prefer Google buying things like this because I know the app can still be used by all of my friends regardless of is. When apple buys an app its almost certain thing that app or service will go apple only.

Because they rape you of your privacy. Plus I wouldn't use anything from Google, in the same way that I wouldn't buy a sandwich from a pedofile. Out of principle.

• Reply 35 of 122
    ipenipen Posts: 410member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

I already own the app, so getting the rest of the language packs for free is a bonus for me. Coincidently, I was just thinking about buying one yesterday, so even better.

Don't like it in the hands of Google as it will just become another data mining tool but for now, free is free.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

Because they rape you of your privacy. Plus I wouldn't use anything from Google, in the same way that I wouldn't buy a sandwich from a pedofile. Out of principle.

Privacy?  Data mining?  for what?  Why people still use their real data when dealing with Google?  Just get the free stuff and feed Google with ton of fake info.  Alternate identity is the way to internet security.

• Reply 36 of 122

WWDC, man. Who knows what we’ll see.

Dr. Dre, with Tyese Gibson siting in the audience. Apparently.
  • Reply 37 of 122
    So what?
    How is that a problem for you?

My iPhone is becoming less and less useful to me. That's what my problem is. All the useful stuff will be on Android, not on iPhone. iPhone will be just another Vertu: an expensive phone that looks amazing but has horrible functionalities and people will be buying it not for features but because it's a status symbol.
  • Reply 38 of 122
    apple ][ wrote: »
    Why didn't Apple buy this? What's more impressive, this or a pair of urban headphones? :rolleyes:

Because Tim Cook's an idiot. That's why.
  • Reply 39 of 122
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MacVicta View Post

Instead of bitching and moaning about Google, ...

Yeah, I know, right? Hypocrites. They should do like Apple. Apple uses Samsung displays because they make the best ones for the best price. They don't let their dislike for Samsung management get in their way. Apple still defaults to Google for search because Google has the best search and pays Apple for the privilege of being there.

Idealism is fine so long as it isn't "cut off nose to spite face". The AI site uses Google ads heavily for their funding so you can read articles and whine about Samsung and Google free of charge on your iPad with its Samsung display.

• Reply 40 of 122
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ipen View Post

Privacy?  Data mining?  for what?  Why people still use their real data when dealing with Google?  Just get the free stuff and feed Google with ton of fake info.  Alternate identity is the way to internet security.

I had loads of google emails but the bastards have linked them altogether recently. I hate them.