Google buys developer of featured iPhone app 'Word Lens'

Comments

• Reply 41 of 122
    emoelleremoeller Posts: 574member

I agree, I don't see the purchase by Google as a bad thing.  I love this app, but it has had a lot of warts and even in the latest iteration works best on large signs, not restaurant menus.   I supported the app by purchasing a number of the add in languages.

As for those complaining that they can't or won't be able to purchase - the program and ALL of the add on languages are now FREE in the app store.  So there is no reason not to enjoy the app now.

As for why Google purchased this company now?  Well don't strain yourself imagining how this would work in Google Glass...

• Reply 42 of 122
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,480member
    I am curious what is so bad about Google buying this. So far whenever Google makes an acquisition they either improve it or merge it into an all ready existing product. I prefer Google buying things like this because I know the app can still be used by all of my friends regardless of is. When apple buys an app its almost certain thing that app or service will go apple only.
    Google is only after any data they can scour from it. It will only be available to those willing to sell their souls to Google.
  • Reply 43 of 122
    imemberimember Posts: 247member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple v. Samsung View Post

I am curious what is so bad about Google buying this. So far whenever Google makes an acquisition they either improve it or merge it into an all ready existing product. I prefer Google buying things like this because I know the app can still be used by all of my friends regardless of is. When apple buys an app its almost certain thing that app or service will go apple only.

Are you sure ?

iOS - Android

Safari - Google Chrome

App Store - Google Play Store

Siri - Google Now

• Reply 44 of 122
    lord amhranlord amhran Posts: 902member
    bighype wrote: »
    Because Tim Cook's an idiot. That's why.
    Ok....:rolleyes:
  • Reply 45 of 122
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    apple ][ wrote: »
    This app is pretty cool. I remember downloading the demo of it when it came out a while back.

I just downloaded it again and grabbed all of the language packs for free, just in case. You never know when you'll end up in some foreign country and need to translate strange signs.

Why didn't Apple buy this? What's more impressive, this or a pair of urban headphones? :rolleyes:

The rumored deal is supposed to be about enhancing Apple's music streaming and match services. It's one of their core businesses: the company is the largest online music seller. Last thing you want to see is headlines about Apple's music business falling prey to new subscription streaming services (it's already happening).

Your disdain for Beats is not about the headphones, is it?
  • Reply 46 of 122
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by genovelle View Post

Google is only after any data they can scour from it. It will only be available to those willing to sell their souls to Google.

Has anyone ever proven that Google data mining has harmed anyone or that they have actually sold anyone's personal information?

Serious question because I have never read any credible evidence to that effect, just haters crying from the roof tops that it is a known fact.

Not to argue that they aren't sneaky like when they defeated Safari's cookie blocker or snooped inside unsecured wifi while street mapping. But seriously that just makes Apple programmers look inept and people with no password or encryption on their wifi as fools.  No question that Google is a data addict but have they actually harmed anyone because of it? I have used a lot of their services for more than a decade and I can't identity one issue that could be attributed to Google's misappropriating my data.

• Reply 47 of 122
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MagMan1979 View Post

And here I was thinking about downloading this app, now that Google got it's ugly paws on it, no way. Shame, was looking like a useful app to have.

You want to download it now, before the google version is released.

• Reply 48 of 122
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,804member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bighype View Post

My iPhone is becoming less and less useful to me. That's what my problem is. All the useful stuff will be on Android, not on iPhone. iPhone will be just another Vertu: an expensive phone that looks amazing but has horrible functionalities and people will be buying it not for features but because it's a status symbol.

Buy an Android phone and be done, with it,

• Reply 49 of 122
    disturbiadisturbia Posts: 563member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Was going to download this.

Not now.

Yep!

But ... I am sure someone has started working on similar App! ;)

• Reply 50 of 122
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,804member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Has anyone ever proven that Google data mining has harmed anyone or that they have actually sold anyone's personal information?

Serious question because I have never read any credible evidence to that effect, just haters crying from the roof tops that it is a known fact.

Not to argue that they aren't sneaky like when they defeated Safari's cookie blocker or snooped inside unsecured wifi while street mapping. But seriously that just makes Apple programmers look inept and people with no password or encryption on their wifi as fools.  No question that Google is a data addict but have they actually harmed anyone because of it? I have used a lot of their services for more than a decade and I can't identity one issue that could be attributed to Google's misappropriating my data.

If you are happy with Google signup to all of their free/Ad services, that aren't really free. Ad revenue companies are like used car salesman not to be trusted ever. (Google, Facebook, Yahoo, Twitter)

• Reply 51 of 122
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    The rumored deal is supposed to be about enhancing Apple's music streaming and match services. It's one of their core businesses: the company is the largest online music seller. Last thing you want to see is headlines about Apple's music business falling prey to new subscription streaming services (it's already happening).

Your disdain for Beats is not about the headphones, is it?
    Google has a Spotify competitor that supposedly is quite good. As far as we know they didn't need to spend $3B to create it. I still don't know why Apple does. But perhaps the longer we go without confirmation the more likely it is this deal feel through or it won't be a large acquisition but a partnership or something else that isn't $3B.
  • Reply 52 of 122
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:

Great, now there's zero good translation apps on App Store. All that's left are useless dictionary apps. 

When I traveled to Japan, I bought an Android phone so I could use Google Goggles and real-time translation (Word Lens didn't even support Japanese).

But don't worry guys, Timmy 'T.Diddy' Cook has bought fashion accessories company for $3.2 BILLION and he also bought the sapphire glass factory. Soon, our iPhones will be fashion accessories with nothing really useful on them because Google will buy up all the good/important stuff.

Tim Cook = Steve Ballmer.

You're either too ignorant or too young to know Tim Cook is nothing near the blunders that is Steve Ballmer's legacy. The Beats acquisition will turn out to be a big win for Apple, but not for their headphones.

• Reply 53 of 122
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,239member
    I worked for a startup a few months ago. Usually, one of their big goals is TO be bought up. That's quite often their reason for being.
  • Reply 54 of 122
    bighypebighype Posts: 148member
    You're either too ignorant or too young to know Tim Cook is nothing near the blunders that is Steve Ballmer's legacy. The Beats acquisition will turn out to be a big win for Apple, but not for their headphones.

You're delusional. They could have bought all of Warner for $3billion. $3.2 billion for a crappy streaming app that anyone can replicate + 2 BS peddling snake oil salesmen? Give me a break.

No one can even figure out why Apple would buy Beats. And especially not for that ridiculous price.

Tim Cook's moving Apple into luxury fashion direction.
  • Reply 55 of 122
    danox wrote: »
    Buy an Android phone and be done, with it,

Google's evil and I don't want to give away my privacy to that evil company.
  • Reply 56 of 122
    bighype wrote: »
    My iPhone is becoming less and less useful to me. That's what my problem is. All the useful stuff will be on Android, not on iPhone. iPhone will be just another Vertu: an expensive phone that looks amazing but has horrible functionalities and people will be buying it not for features but because it's a status symbol.

So you're concerned about having future Android envy?
  • Reply 57 of 122
    imemberimember Posts: 247member
    Quote:

Great, now there's zero good translation apps on App Store. All that's left are useless dictionary apps. 

When I traveled to Japan, I bought an Android phone so I could use Google Goggles and real-time translation (Word Lens didn't even support Japanese).

But don't worry guys, Timmy 'T.Diddy' Cook has bought fashion accessories company for $3.2 BILLION and he also bought the sapphire glass factory. Soon, our iPhones will be fashion accessories with nothing really useful on them because Google will buy up all the good/important stuff.

Tim Cook = Steve Ballmer.

Why would Apple buy an app that doesn't hold any patents? you need take good look back on Apple - Google history, Tim Cock has done a great job with Apple acquisitions like Siri, Touch ID and more, on other hand Google (except their search engine) nada! also is just a rumor that Apple acquired the headphones company for 3.2 billion 

• Reply 58 of 122
    mstone wrote: »

Have you read their terms and conditions? They will surrender data collected on you to any law enforcement agency as long as it is legal in that agency's jurisdiction. Do you need to "prove harm" before you decide your privacy rights matter?
  • Reply 59 of 122
    imember wrote: »
    Why would Apple buy an app that doesn't hold any patents? you need take good look back on Apple - Google history, Tim Cock has done a great job with Apple acquisitions like Siri, Touch ID and more, on other hand Google (except their search engine) nada! also is just a rumor that Apple acquired the headphones company for 3.2 billion 

Patents? Patents are useless. Samsung copied iPhone and iOS which were under 100+ patents and what has that done to them? $120 million fine.

Samsung built millions of phones and raked in BILLIONS AND BILLIONS of revenue by copying Apple and for a measly cost of $120 million.

LAUGHABLE!

Patents are for idiots. They don't stop anything. Android's bigger than ever.
  • Reply 60 of 122
    So you're concerned about having future Android envy?

Future? I already have Android envy because it has Google Goggles and iOS has nothing.