Verizon's new XLTE network doubles bandwidth for users of Apple's latest iPhones & iPads

Comments

• Reply 21 of 65
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by iPilya View Post

Considering that (real) 4g is a 100/Mbs technology... are they saying that this will now be 200/Mbs... or are they talking about doubling LTE Advanced which has download speeds of up to 1 Gbit/s making it now 2 Gbit/s.

Sorry for being so cynical... but I hate how America has basterdised the meaning of 4G.

We live in the real world and not theoretical world. Didn't HSPA+ have a theoretical peek speed of around 168Mbps? How many times did anyone ever come close to getting anywhere near that? I am also pretty sure Asian and European carriers did just as much to distort these speeds so blaming America seems rather naive. 

• Reply 22 of 65
    negafoxnegafox Posts: 480member

That's nice but the data plans are the real problem at this point. I recently moved so I had no cable for a month and a half, so I relied on my wireless provider for Internet. With casual web surfing without intentionally trying to stream video, I managed to hit 5+ GB on each of my devices (2 x phones = 10+ GB). Based upon some of the speed tests posted online for XLTE, one could blow through a 2 GB data cap in a half hour if they were streaming at full speed. Yay.

That is like the government saying you can only drive 20 miles per day and then announce they are upping the speed limit from 65 to 120 MPH on highways.

• Reply 23 of 65
    sestewartsestewart Posts: 102member

It's not about individual subscriber line access. This backhaul/cell site upgrade is about selling businesses on a 30-50Gb plan to replace their TDM T1 or POTS phone lines, by moving them to an LTE solution. Currently, more businesses are looking at cellular connections as a backup plan, and that backup plan "could" be their primary connection because the throughput is better than their T1 service. 

Bigger backhauls = more money and more overage fees to businesses who will most likely not blink at a 15$ per Gb overage fee 

Individuals/residential plans just get to ride the network and give carrier's free money for being connected to the same network. 

This is why the FCC in their NPRM mentioned that business contracts, enterprise, and wholesale deals would be untouched by new regulation. meaning: Businesses can make deals while consumers are stuck with low data caps.

• Reply 24 of 65
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    They are still not as fast as AT&T.
  • Reply 25 of 65
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

I know people can post speedtests from the other carriers that are higher speeds but honestly I have never felt the need to go above 8Mbps on my phone. Videos and music streaming which have a far higher demand than web surfing work very well. I can't wait for the iPhone 6 that will support Sprint Spark which the 5 and 5s do not support since they do not support LTE on the 2.5Ghz spectrum. I am anxious not so much for the speed boost as how much greater coverage this will provide. 

8Mbps?

Pffft!

• Reply 26 of 65
    gwmac wrote: »
    Lol, yep very good point which is why I am glad I still have an unlimited data plan.
    It's not a good point let alone a very good point. Having better data throughput is not a negative (tempted to say 'never a negative' but...) it doesn't really change how quickly you reach your data cap in any meaningful way other than you will not be sitting waiting on your device as long as it spins on some data transfer. Being empowered to choose how much to use your device trumps having a limit imposed by whatever restrictions.
  • Reply 27 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by msantti View Post

Must be awesome to access your 2 GB cap even faster now!

Amusingly, I often turn OFF the LTE* in my iPhone 5, because ads and other videos pre-load so quickly that they burn up my bandwidth, before I have a chance to turn them off or leave the page.

*when using my phone as a WiFi hotspot, which is almost every day.

• Reply 28 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Seriously, who the **** has complaints about LTE speed? It's more than fast enough, leaving most home connections in the dust.

Not really.  At my work location, near a university dormitory complex, there are so many users on Verizon's network that the LTE on my iPhone 5 is very very slow, and frequently some apps time-out before they can get me logged in to their service/site.  And at my previous home location, there were so many VZW users in the neighborhood that 3G service was often at dial-up speeds. Seriously, my speedometer readings were 0.067 Mbps!  And Verizon 3 yr ago said there was nothing they could do at the time.  It was part of the reason I moved!  So adding some capacity to the bandwidth would be nice.  Especially for those who can use it.

• Reply 29 of 65
    sestewartsestewart Posts: 102member

You too? 

I would like a setting to turn off all video from apps on my iPhone/iPad. 

I can keep my Macbook Pro from using video by just refusing to install Flash. 

btw.. I'm one of those people using cellular 4G as a primary connection, due to monopoly carriers/cable refusing to build broadband to my location. 

• Reply 30 of 65
    Quote:

Customers with legacy LTE devices, such as Apple's iPhone 5, will also benefit from the extra capacity crated by XLTE capable devices moving to the AWS spectrum.

Yes, in the same way that there's plenty of room on a sinking ship.  

LTE: It's too popular so nobody goes there anymore.

• Reply 31 of 65
    Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

8Mbps?

Pffft!

Hope you enjoy using that fast 4G in the few square miles in Australia where Vodafone offers it. And since I don't run a web server from my iPhone I would love to hear how you put that 42 Mb/s upload speed to any practical use given that Vodafone only offers around 2.5GB of data a month at the high end or am I mistaken. We have more LTE towers in my one state than Vodafone has in all of Australia. I pay $50 for unlimited LTE data and I can actually use it all over the country not just in a few major cities. 

• Reply 32 of 65
    Quote:

Originally Posted by blurpbleepbloop View Post

It's not a good point let alone a very good point. Having better data throughput is not a negative (tempted to say 'never a negative' but...) it doesn't really change how quickly you reach your data cap in any meaningful way other than you will not be sitting waiting on your device as long as it spins on some data transfer. Being empowered to choose how much to use your device trumps having a limit imposed by whatever restrictions.

Who exactly are you even arguing with. I never made any of those assertions and nether did the guy I was responding too. Everyone wants fast data and I would assume all would also want unlimited data at a reasonable price. You might want to go back and read the posts again because you clearly were responding to a perceived argument and not one actually uttered by me at least. 

• Reply 33 of 65
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    As of now what would make me a lot happier would be for Verizon to launch Voice Over LTE. The fact that I can't do simultaneous voice & data 4 years after the launch of iPhone on Verizon has gotten quite a bit long in the tooth. And the fact that GSM AT&T has beat them to the punch even though voice & data is possible on their network, looks bad for VZW. It wasn't a deal breaker when they first got the iPhone, I was just happy to have an iPhone on VZW. But now that has worn off and I'd just like to be able to have internet capabilities when i'm on the phone and i'm not on WIFI.

It's not VZW's fault. All other smartphones on VZW can do SVD. Apple didn't include the additional antenna that would've given it that feature.
  • Reply 34 of 65
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,201member

Seems either next-to-nobody here with a 5s or iPad Air is on Verizon or this story is just tripe. Common 'Rizers, show us your speeds!

• Reply 35 of 65
    Yes, in the same way that there's plenty of room on a sinking ship.  

LTE: Nobody goes there anymore. It's too crowded.

I fixed it for you.
  • Reply 36 of 65
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

It's not VZW's fault. All other smartphones on VZW can do SVD. Apple didn't include the additional antenna that would've given it that feature.

Not true.The Samsung Galaxy S5 has one CDMA radio for its cellular capabilities. To talk and surf the web at the same time, you will have to be on Wi-Fi as it will use two different chips to transmit voice/data. That was true of the S3 and a few other models a few years back but not any longer since they thought it a waste of money to include two radios now that VoLTE is coming. 

• Reply 37 of 65
    Not true.The Samsung Galaxy S5 has one CDMA radio for its cellular capabilities. To talk and surf the web at the same time, you will have to be on Wi-Fi as it will use two different chips to transmit voice/data. That was true of the S3 and a few other models a few years back but not any longer since they thought it a waste of money to include two radios now that VoLTE is coming. 

That's only limited to the Sprint version for some odd reason.
  • Reply 38 of 65
    Quote:

That's only limited to the Sprint version for some odd reason.

Not true again. Better check your facts. Only a few phones could and the same ones that could on Verizon also worked with SVDO on Sprint. 

http://forums.androidcentral.com/verizon-samsung-galaxy-s4/269176-svdo-verizon.html

http://www.usoftphone.com/t187753.html

• Reply 39 of 65
    Not true again. Better check your facts. 

I just witnessed someone do it with my very own eyes using the VZW version.
  • Reply 40 of 65
    Quote:

I just witnessed someone do it with my very own eyes using the VZW version.

I am sure you did and I am also sure they were on Wifi. You specifically said SVDO and that is not possible any longer since it requires two radios. Now SVLTE is a completely other thing entirely but that is not what you originally said. Are you now trying to say you meant SVLTE?

http://www.sonlte.com/2012/03/26/notes-on-simultaneous-voice-and-lte-svlte/