Verizon's new XLTE network doubles bandwidth for users of Apple's latest iPhones & iPads

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 65
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Oh, apparently Verizon wants to buy Dish now, for no other reason than AT&T purchased DirecTV.

Why is this allowed?

Hasn't been allowed yet nor should it be.
  • Reply 62 of 65
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

As I sit here eating my lunch, thought I'd run a quick speedtest.

Ho hum.

Don't run too many speed tests since you might go over your typically low data cap on Vodafone. Fast speed tests may impress the uninformed but I think most techies understand anything above 10/down or 3/up is complete overkill for anything you will ever do on your phone unless you are tethering it to a computer and downloading torrents or similar. No wonder they can offer great speeds since that LTE map for Vodafone was pathetically small. The areas in purple for LTE were really small. I hope Telstra has a larger LTE map than that. I would be far more impressed if you showed me unlimited data with that great speed at a reasonable price. Fast speed means next to nothing if you are limited to only a few GB's of data. I am also guessing that in addition to not having unlimited data you are likely paying quite a bit more for your bragging rights for speedtest champion on this forum. 

• Reply 63 of 65
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

Don't run too many speed tests since you might go over your typically low data cap on Vodafone. Fast speed tests may impress the uninformed but I think most techies understand anything above 10/down or 3/up is complete overkill for anything you will ever do on your phone unless you are tethering it to a computer and downloading torrents or similar. No wonder they can offer great speeds since that LTE map for Vodafone was pathetically small. The areas in purple for LTE were really small. I hope Telstra has a larger LTE map than that. I would be far more impressed if you showed me unlimited data with that great speed at a reasonable price. Fast speed means next to nothing if you are limited to only a few GB's of data. I am also guessing that in addition to not having unlimited data you are likely paying quite a bit more for your bragging rights for speedtest champion on this forum. 

Hey, maybe one day you'll get good quality LTE too.

Until then I'll happily keep using these blazingly fast speeds wherever I go on a day to day basis.

Outside the 4G areas the 3G+ speeds are equivalent to the other 4G speedtests that have been posted here.

Remember when T-Mobile and AT&T bastardised the term "4G" when HSDPA was faster than Sprint and Verizon's LTE?

Got Apple in trouble in Australia when they called an iPad "4G".

Having plenty of bandwidth allows the use of HD voice and data at the same time.

• Reply 64 of 65
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Hey, maybe one day you'll get good quality LTE too.

Thanks but I already have fast and reliable LTE and it works in more than just a few cities.

Until then I'll happily keep using these blazingly fast speeds wherever I go on a day to day basis.

Until you quickly reach your pathetic data cap which is what 2 or 3 GB?

Outside the 4G areas the 3G+ speeds are equivalent to the other 4G speedtests that have been posted here.

Your data cap and high fees still apply and I have been to Australia several times and that was not my experience nor the experience of my Australian friends. 

Got Apple in trouble in Australia when they called an iPad "4G".

Which is why we are talking about LTE. You are the one that claims your 3.5G outside the tiny areas where Vodafone offers LTE is fast so you seem to want to have it both ways and do what you accused AT&T and T-Mo of above. 

Having plenty of bandwidth allows the use of HD voice and data at the same time.

I agree with that but equally if in fact not far more important is how much data you get a month and how much you pay for that data which you are apparently too afraid to report. Absolutely nothing I do on my iPhone requires me to wait for data or degrades my performance compared to yours. I have thousands of square miles of LTE all over the country  I can use and you have a few cities.  You seem to be under the illusion that 50 or 75 Mbps amounts to any noticeable difference in phone apps. It doesn't.  Once you reach a certain peak level that I estimate to be around 8 down and 3 up anything faster than that is not noticeable beyond speedtest apps. 

• Reply 65 of 65
    techmanmiketechmanmike Posts: 147member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

Not true.The Samsung Galaxy S5 has one CDMA radio for its cellular capabilities. To talk and surf the web at the same time, you will have to be on Wi-Fi as it will use two different chips to transmit voice/data. That was true of the S3 and a few other models a few years back but not any longer since they thought it a waste of money to include two radios now that VoLTE is coming. 

Exactly!