Google usurps Apple as world's most valuable brand name, report says

Comments

• Reply 141 of 200
    imemberimember Posts: 247member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The latest results from research agency Millward Brown's 2014 100 Top BrandZ report says Google out-innovated Apple with its various "Google X" initiatives like Project Loon and contacts that measure glucose levels for diabetics. This year's Top BrandZ report was first spotted by Business Insider.

Boom!

http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/05/21/google-admits-it-may-place-ads-on-thermostats-glasses-car-dashboards-refrigerators

• Reply 142 of 200
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,927member
    rogifan wrote: »
    So the only important time to release new products is 4th quarter? Mother's Day, Father's Day, graduation, back to school, etc. aren't times people would want to buy new products? Isn't Apple basically creating a very predictable release schedule?

Did Apple stop selling its wares in your area of the world? Nope. If it isn't end-of-lifed or replaced, it's New. What's this fascination of buying as soon as it's released. Granted, I bought my iPhone on Day 1 but I bought my Mac a few months after release. Hell, people are still buying iPhones, iPads, Macs.

Who cares if it's predictable.

In the consumer electronics biz, the holiday qtr is the best qtr.
  • Reply 143 of 200
    winner00winner00 Posts: 7member

Lolz at all of you freaking out! If it was Apple that was still #1 you wouldn't be saying this is a BS study.

• Reply 144 of 200
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    winner00 wrote: »
    Lolz at all of you freaking out! If it was Apple that was still #1 you wouldn't be saying this is a BS study.

LOL look at you overgeneralising, trying to make something out of something that really isn't there, just like so many before you.

Gnashing of teeth much?
  • Reply 145 of 200
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,923member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Not seeing what your point. Did they stop selling non iPhones the rest of the year?

Nobody ever said they stopped selling anything. The point was, nothing ever gets updated until the very very end of the year. There are other good times throughout the year where people want to buy things for different occasions, or just buy them in general. So yes, they can buy what's currently available to them at Apple, or they can choose to go elsewhere and not buy Apple products because something better is out somewhere's else, or something newer is out. You can't always bank on people just always using Apple products. 

Stop thinking about the fucking iPhone for once and maybe you'll understand what I and others are saying. Apple is more than just the god damn iPhone!

• Reply 146 of 200
    winner00winner00 Posts: 7member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

LOL look at you overgeneralising, trying to make something out of something that really isn't there, just like so many before you.

Gnashing of teeth much?

Oh ok let me fix that for you. *some of you. Happy now?

• Reply 147 of 200
    macxpress wrote: »
    Nobody ever said they stopped selling anything. The point was, nothing ever gets updated until the very very end of the year. There are other good times throughout the year where people want to buy things for different occasions, or just buy them in general. So yes, they can buy what's currently available to them at Apple, or they can choose to go elsewhere and not buy Apple products because something better is out somewhere's else, or something newer is out. You can't always bank on people just always using Apple products. 

Stop thinking about the fucking iPhone for once and maybe you'll understand what I and others are saying. Apple is more than just the god damn iPhone!

Apple isn't going to refresh its product lines more than once a year so again why should they spread the new release dates throughout the year. People upgrade when they need to. Something is always going to be newer. That's technology. Say they release a new Mac in March. What are they going to do in Dec? Release another one? Something will be newer from competitors year round.
  • Reply 148 of 200
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,923member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Apple isn't going to refresh its product lines more than once a year so again why should they spread the new release dates throughout the year. People upgrade when they need to. Something is always going to be newer. That's technology. Say they release a new Mac in March. What are they going to do in Dec? Release another one? Something will be newer from competitors year round.

Never mind, you don't get it and apparently you never will. *sighs*

• Reply 149 of 200
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    jungmark wrote: »

I don't think he's asking for products to be updated more than once a year, but for the products to be spread out more throughout the year. I've certainly talked about this plenty of times. Having to drop money on an iPhone, iPad and Mac all in the same month isn't an obstacle for me, but I bet for many it becomes a one-or-the-other scenario with the next time they can spend the money they may choose to wait instead of buying a product that is halfway through its release cycle.

This move from the Spring iPad and Summer iPhone to consolidate all to the Autumn may not have only just hurt Apple's ability to get purchases throughout the year for multiple categories but also forced many buyers to go multiple years between updates because of the aforementioned reasons. Of course, there are other considerations from Apple's PoV, like sourcing components, but looking only at the release schedule it would probably behoove them to do a more staggered release so they can capitalize on their customers' desire for getting new gadgets throughout the year.
  • Reply 150 of 200
    I don't get it. What pct of consumers buy a Mac, phone, iPad in the same year. < 5%? More like 1%. People buy things when they need them. Tech geeks may buy at first release but we're not the majority.
  • Reply 151 of 200
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    I don't get it. What pct of consumers buy a Mac, phone, iPad in the same year. < 5%? More like 1%. People buy things when they need them. Tech geeks may buy at first release but we're not the majority.

My anecdotal comment had nothing to do what the norm does, but you may want to refer to any Head & Shoulders commercials for why they are less likely to buy more product when all the releases are piled together into a single day to month. This gets even less ideal for Apple if the release a new Apple TV, wearable computer, or other rumoured deices.

PS: No one needs an iPad or needs an iWatch. You don't even need a Mac or an iPhone when you can get by with a lesser "PC" or handset. We get these things because they are make our lives easier.. but they all cost money.
  • Reply 152 of 200
    benjamin frostbenjamin frost Posts: 7,203member
    IBM and Microsoft above McDonalds and Coke?

Psh.
  • Reply 153 of 200
    imemberimember Posts: 247member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by winner00 View Post

http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/05/21/google-admits-it-may-place-ads-on-thermostats-glasses-car-dashboards-refrigerators

Are you blind?

• Reply 154 of 200
    benjamin frostbenjamin frost Posts: 7,203member
    imember wrote: »
    winner00 wrote: »

<a href="http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/05/21/google-admits-it-may-place-ads-on-thermostats-glasses-car-dashboards-refrigerators" style="border:0px;color:rgb(18,86,183);" target="_blank">http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/05/21/google-admits-it-may-place-ads-on-thermostats-glasses-car-dashboards-refrigerators</a>;

Are you blind?

…as a bat? Can you see in the dark?
    Because Jellicle cats can and Jellicles do.
  • Reply 156 of 200
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Sony, HTC and Samsung all in a row,
    Annual release of flagships a month ago now,
    They look at a calendar to see where to get,
    As far from iPhone launch when the juggernaught turns their sales to shit.
  • Reply 157 of 200
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member

I get it, jungmark gets it, solipsism x gets it.

What you and other impatient, technically ignorant schedule fetishists like Rogifan don't get is that we have been in a long period of display drought, during which Apple has not been able to source the next quantum leap in resolution. We have no retina MacBook Air, for example, because when that arrives Apple is going to need X millions of IGZO or LTPS backplanes which could not be manufactured by any facility in the world up until the time it's released by Apple. Thus, there is no IGZO 4K monitor from Apple, other than the one made by Sharp.

The last time Rogifan brought up this trollbook issue, it was one of his storms of kvetching over how long it has taken Apple to come out with larger-screened phones, when it seemed to his dim lights that everyone else had been able to do it two years ago. I went through the arguments exhaustively (his trollbook MO demands this) then, and I don't feel like doing it now. You can do a search under LTPS display shortage and find AI articles that say there will be constrained capacity until 2014 in this ONE ASPECT of the things that have been working against more frequent evolutionary leaps in Apple's product lines that contain displays. You also have to consider that they can't finalize processors, batteries, controllers, software and all physical aspects of the device until the displays are in hand, or supplies secured, in the tens of millions in some cases. So where HTC or Lenovo might need a million, Apple will need five, ten, or forty million.

Rogifan wants to see where this is written up. It isn't written up anywhere that I know of, because it's common sense and common logic to anyone paying attention who also understands cause-and-effect chains of reasoning. Do your own homework.
  • Reply 158 of 200
    rogifan wrote: »
    So the only important time to release new products is 4th quarter? Mother's Day, Father's Day, graduation, back to school, etc. aren't times people would want to buy new products? Isn't Apple basically creating a very predictable release schedule?

Brilliant retail logic. You could have a great career with CVS, Senior Vice-President, Seasonal Sales.

My post 157 above was directed at you as much as at macexpress.
  • Reply 159 of 200

Exactly. This is the anti-Apple troll issue of the week. Last week is was the Beats acquisition. Week before that it was how late is Apple's big screen phone initiative.

Next issue it will be . . .? Seems like a good game. Troll topic of the week.
  • Reply 160 of 200
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    I don't think he's asking for products to be updated more than once a year, but for the products to be spread out more throughout the year. I've certainly talked about this plenty of times. Having to drop money on an iPhone, iPad and Mac all in the same month isn't an obstacle for me, but I bet for many it becomes a one-or-the-other scenario with the next time they can spend the money they may choose to wait instead of buying a product that is halfway through its release cycle.

This move from the Spring iPad and Summer iPhone to consolidate all to the Autumn may not have only just hurt Apple's ability to get purchases throughout the year for multiple categories but also forced many buyers to go multiple years between updates because of the aforementioned reasons. Of course, there are other considerations from Apple's PoV, like sourcing components, but looking only at the release schedule it would probably behoove them to do a more staggered release so they can capitalize on their customers' desire for getting new gadgets throughout the year.
    Thank you. Not sure why this is so hard for some to understand.