Rumor: Photo shows "iPhone 6" rear shell with cut-out Apple logo

24

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 67
    mpantonempantone Posts: 1,429member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by atokosch View Post

     

    Where is the hole for the True Tone Flash? They cant possibly fit two different colored LED’s in that hole for the True Tone Flash.


    The round hole for the flash is conceivable if Apple switched to a three-LED configuration for the flash, maybe two "bright white" LEDs and one "warm white" LED. The total flash power would increase, even if the individual LED emitters were slightly smaller.

     

    Just food for thought, this whole thread is purely speculative anyhow.

  • Reply 22 of 67
    atokoschatokosch Posts: 46member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by VL-Tone View Post

     

     

    I suspect that there's a technical/functional reason behind the increased thickness of the antenna separations. Maybe it will also act as a shock absorber and reduce the possibility of breaking the screen if the iPhone 6 is dropped on one of its corners?

     

    What if the separation is made from a new RF transparent LiquidMetal alloy? :) (OK maybe not)


    If it was made of LiquidMetal alloy then they wouldn't need something for shock absorption because it is much stronger than the metal that they use on the iPhone 5 and 5S, it will not dent easily. And plus, why would Apple want to help you not break your screen, its the truth, it if makes the phone look ugly which it does then they wouldn't add it, they would want you to have them fix it or replace it. 

  • Reply 23 of 67
    curtis hannahcurtis hannah Posts: 1,767member
    I really like the true flash of the 5s it looks really different in this picture, i don't see why they wouldn't keep it
    Oh they likely will, can fit 2 in one spot(like the mic there bigger on 5 then 5S.
    potatoman wrote: »
    Macs use the backlight from the display to show the logo, in iOS devices the batteries are in between the screen and the back casing, meaning to get a lighted logo, they'd need another light source, which is adding bulk and weight to it for no advantage, apple would never do that. They only do it for the macs because it's simply cutting an apple logo out of the shell and the backlight shines through. Hence why the iMacs don't have a shining logo, they have all the internals in the way, between the display and the back casing.

    On another note, I cannot believe how ugly the antenna band is. Why is it so thick? And why is there the extra bit around the edge, and not just a line across? Just that little change would make me love the design, but this is really ugly IMO. Such a shame. Hopefully it's better in person.
    there once was a rumor apple could put a hole there of the battery, make rest parts clear(not sure it's possible) and have it be used as 2nd display(if it were shaped that way) simply reflecting threw there upside down

    Well, I really like the 4" screen of the 5s, i don't see why they wouldn't keep it
    Agreed, why rather then 5S/C have 6 big, 6 middle, 6 little of the 4,4.7.5.5 inch displays.

    solipsismx wrote: »
    I'm going to weigh in and state I believe this to be real.¡
    Not likely to happen because it's a pointless use of power.
    yep

    droidftw wrote: »
    It wouldn't be pointless if it lit up when the phone was ringing or for when you recieve texts/notifications/emails.  If it stayed lit during use then it'd exist just to bring attention to yourself and that would be a pointless use of power.
    Of course attention is marketing but it'd be like the led used already, pointless unless the logo became the true tone leds?

    atokosch wrote: »
    Where is the hole for the True Tone Flash? They cant possibly fit two different colored LED’s in that hole for the True Tone Flash.
    For the cut out of the Apple Logo however, i think that if the housing for the iPhone 6 is not made of liquid metal (which i would want), then Apple will have to cut a window for NFC capabilities, they are rumored (today actually) to have been in talks for iPhone payment services. This cut out would allow enough of a window for NFC and they could cover the hole back up with the antenna for the NFC just like they did with the OG iPad (they used the Apple logo as the WiFi antenna that was mirror finished). Plus Apple would not use it as a notification LED, that is pointless and a waste of power. 
    I still do not believe that this is the back housing for the next iPhone, i think it was made by a 3rd party, if you think about it, no True Tone Flash, unless Apple has something that is better than the True Tone Flash, but i don’t think that they would get rid of it after only 1 year.
    most defiantly would not, name something apple has gotten rid of from iPhone.
  • Reply 24 of 67
    atokoschatokosch Posts: 46member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by mpantone View Post

     

    The round hole for the flash is conceivable if Apple switched to a three-LED configuration for the flash, maybe two "bright white" LEDs and one "warm white" LED. The total flash power would increase, even if the individual LED emitters were slightly smaller.

     

    Just food for thought, this whole thread is purely speculative anyhow.


    If you mean 3 different LED's in that one hole i still do not think so, as a repair tech, the LED's Apple uses for the flash requires two different spots for the light to blend together correctly. And plus the emitters aren't small enough to fit in that one hole. I just don't see it. 

  • Reply 25 of 67
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,133moderator

    If the logo were cut out, then the protective green tape would be cut back too like you see around the camera and flash cut outs in order for the manufacturing step of adding the insert to be accomplished.  But it's not cut back; the tape goes right over the obviously black Apple logo.  What nobody else here mentioned among other good points about energy waste is that many people put their iPhone in a protective case which would cover the logo, unless we believe Apple will also proscribe that case manufacturers add a cut out to their cases.  This would still leave the issue of the user's hand covering the logo.

     

    and yet, after zooming in on the damn thing, it sure does appear that the tape is covering a logo-shaped cutout and that the light, coming from the top right is casting a shadow through the semi-translucency tape onto the underlying surface.  What the heck? 

  • Reply 26 of 67
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    The assumption that the Apple logo is cut out is just plain wrong.  If it were cut out, then the protective green tape would be cut back too like you see around the camera and flash cut outs in order for the manufacturing step of adding the insert to be accomplished.  But it's not cut back; the tape goes right over the obviously black Apple logo.  The semi-translucence of the tape with the light source from above creates some haze over what is a pure black logo, causing some to believe they are looking at the shadow created by a hole.  But it simply isn;t cut out.  And what nobody else here mentioned among other good points about energy waste is that many people put their iPhone in a protective case which would cover the logo, unless we believe Apple will also proscribe that case manufacturers add a cut out to their cases.  This would still leave the issue of the user's hand covering the logo.  See, it simply makes zero sense and therefore Apple will not go this route.

    It looks cut out to me. When I zoom in I see what looks like a shadow cast on the righthand side to the surface below. I can see the reflection for the bite out of the apple and leaf.
  • Reply 27 of 67
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,179member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by atokosch View Post

     

    If it was made of LiquidMetal alloy then they wouldn't need something for shock absorption because it is much stronger than the metal that they use on the iPhone 5 and 5S, it will not dent easily. And plus, why would Apple want to help you not break your screen, its the truth, it if makes the phone look ugly which it does then they wouldn't add it, they would want you to have them fix it or replace it. 


     

    I'm pretty sure every single design consideration for the phone was made for extremely good reasons - I suggest you don't second guess these decisions when you dont have any info behind them, especially when you have no clue if this is even the final design. 

  • Reply 28 of 67
    vl-tonevl-tone Posts: 337member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by atokosch View Post

     

    If it was made of LiquidMetal alloy then they wouldn't need something for shock absorption because it is much stronger than the metal that they use on the iPhone 5 and 5S, it will not dent easily. And plus, why would Apple want to help you not break your screen, its the truth, it if makes the phone look ugly which it does then they wouldn't add it, they would want you to have them fix it or replace it. 


    I was joking about the LiquidMetal, hence the smiley. 

     

    This idea that we've all heard that Apple makes its products easy to break on purpose, is exactly why making the iPhone 6 more resistant to breaking would be a great selling point.

  • Reply 29 of 67
    atokoschatokosch Posts: 46member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by RadarTheKat View Post



    The assumption that the Apple logo is cut out is just plain wrong.  If it were cut out, then the protective green tape would be cut back too like you see around the camera and flash cut outs in order for the manufacturing step of adding the insert to be accomplished.  But it's not cut back; the tape goes right over the obviously black Apple logo.  The semi-translucence of the tape with the light source from above creates some haze over what is a pure black logo, causing some to believe they are looking at the shadow created by a hole.  But it simply isn;t cut out.  And what nobody else here mentioned among other good points about energy waste is that many people put their iPhone in a protective case which would cover the logo, unless we believe Apple will also proscribe that case manufacturers add a cut out to their cases.  This would still leave the issue of the user's hand covering the logo.  See, it simply makes zero sense and therefore Apple will not go this route.

    There is definitely a cut out of the Apple Logo, you see the shadow of the cut out to the left of it if you look at it close enough. If Apple plans to use NFC they must have an opening to accomplish this unless they use Liquid Metal which allows for radio waves to pass though almost unaffected, case makers don't have to worry about covering the NFC antenna up unless they use metal in the back of there case. 

  • Reply 30 of 67
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,399member

    First thought.

     

    Second thought.

     

    Originally Posted by atokosch View Post

    Where is the hole for the True Tone Flash? They cant possibly fit two different colored LED’s in that hole for the True Tone Flash.

     

    What’s so difficult to comprehend about a dual-temperature LED?

  • Reply 31 of 67
    dimmokdimmok Posts: 359member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by potatoman View Post





    They only do it for the macs because it's simply cutting an apple logo out of the shell and the backlight shines through. Hence why the iMacs don't have a shining logo, they have all the internals in the way, between the display and the back casing.

    Laptops always are seen from the back in most cases. And your point of using the backlight means no extra power drain.....iMacs are more than likely to be up against the wall anyways...so what would be the purpose to light up the logo. Also power would never be an issue since its plugged in the wall all the time.

  • Reply 32 of 67
    mpantonempantone Posts: 1,429member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by atokosch View Post

     

    If you mean 3 different LED's in that one hole i still do not think so, as a repair tech, the LED's Apple uses for the flash requires two different spots for the light to blend together correctly. And plus the emitters aren't small enough to fit in that one hole. I just don't see it. 


    I dunno.

     

    The True Tone flash in the iPhone 5s contains two LEDs in one opening. Plus, the effective range of a cellphone flash is rather limited working distance so the LEDs don't really need to be carefully focused.

     

    As mentioned above, there's also the possibility of a multi-temperature LED. That would maximize LED power, since you aren't turning off/reducing one emitter in given situations. 

  • Reply 33 of 67
    dimmokdimmok Posts: 359member
    Quote:
     

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by RadarTheKat View Post



    And what nobody else here mentioned among other good points about energy waste is that many people put their iPhone in a protective case which would cover the logo, unless we believe Apple will also proscribe that case manufacturers add a cut out to their cases.  This would still leave the issue of the user's hand covering the logo.  See, it simply makes zero sense and therefore Apple will not go this route.


    Options of cases with and without holes exist today for the current iPhones. And your point of the user hand covering up the logo while using....

    Hmmm the Apple logo appears to be smaller than the current size. And much higher up. So you hand wouldn't directly cover it up as that photo shows. Plus remember the iPhone 6 is a bigger Phone, hence more area to show while using it. I say it will be lighted up.

  • Reply 34 of 67
    Not a fan of the new design as seen thus far here and on Sonny Dickson's page.

    I'm sure its wonderfully thing and light, but its lines seem quite uninspired.
  • Reply 35 of 67
    crossladcrosslad Posts: 501member
    potatoman wrote: »
    On another note, I cannot believe how ugly the antenna band is. Why is it so thick? And why is there the extra bit around the edge, and not just a line across? Just that little change would make me love the design, but this is really ugly IMO. Such a shame. Hopefully it's better in person.
    No one complains about the antenna band on the HTC One and it is similar in design. Also most people I know put their phones in a case and so no one will see them.
  • Reply 36 of 67
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,399member
    Originally Posted by DimMok View Post

    Hmmm the Apple logo appears to be smaller than the current size. And much higher up. So you hand wouldn't directly cover it up as that photo shows. Plus remember the iPhone 6 is a bigger Phone, hence more area to show while using it. I say it will be lighted up.

     

    Here’s a comparison of this thing and the 5S with the Apple logo at the same size.

    Same comparison but corners matching to better show size difference.

    So obviously the logo is smaller. Or this is fake.

  • Reply 37 of 67
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    So obviously the logo is smaller. Or this is fake.

    Or it's a larger device and they kept the logo size the same.
  • Reply 38 of 67
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,399member
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

    Or it's a larger device and they kept the logo size the same.

     

    What, the first image of the mythical 5.5” device, then?

  • Reply 39 of 67
    georgeip5georgeip5 Posts: 225member
    atokosch wrote: »
    Where is the hole for the True Tone Flash? They cant possibly fit two different colored LED’s in that hole for the True Tone Flash.
    For the cut out of the Apple Logo however, i think that if the housing for the iPhone 6 is not made of liquid metal (which i would want), then Apple will have to cut a window for NFC capabilities, they are rumored (today actually) to have been in talks for iPhone payment services. This cut out would allow enough of a window for NFC and they could cover the hole back up with the antenna for the NFC just like they did with the OG iPad (they used the Apple logo as the WiFi antenna that was mirror finished). Plus Apple would not use it as a notification LED, that is pointless and a waste of power. 
    I still do not believe that this is the back housing for the next iPhone, i think it was made by a 3rd party, if you think about it, no True Tone Flash, unless Apple has something that is better than the True Tone Flash, but i don’t think that they would get rid of it after only 1 year.
    True tone is just for more natural light exposure in the dark, personally what is like to see from the iPhone 6 is a MacBook style light up Apple logo and these round corners but with those weird white strips to be relocated but the think is Apple would never move the sleep/wake button to the side.
  • Reply 40 of 67
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    What, the first image of the mythical 5.5” device, then?

    Couldn't it work for a 4.7" iPhone?
Sign In or Register to comment.