Longtime Apple PR head Katie Cotton officially retires

Comments

• Reply 41 of 146
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drblank View Post

Prove me wrong.  go get a copy of his iTunes library.

How the **** do I "prove you wrong" about your baseless speculation about her music tastes and your insane assumption that someone in her professional position who make such a petty, silly move like quitting because of an acquisition? Should I set up an interview with her? Do you realize that the onus is on you to substantiate your claims with a shred of evidence, right, not for me to "prove them wrong"? Your argumentation is pulled straight from the classic book of trolling. Make some baseless statement pulled from your ass then dare anyone to "prove you wrong". It's on you to prove your made up reasons for her leaving, since you've accused her of lying. 

• Reply 42 of 146
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post

I picked up mine at a split-adjusted $4.35, my ROI is fabulous-er! :p :)

Unless you are using your net worth to take out loans, your AAPL holdings are not doing anything for you. Well, now that we have a dividend, perhaps a little, but your kids are going to sell it as soon as you die. You are not getting any ROI unless you sell.

• Reply 43 of 146
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ksec View Post

Read the god damn Re/Code article.

http://recode.net/2014/05/30/goodbye-to-all-that-today-is-katie-cottons-last-day-at-apple/

Just one opinion that only benefits the writer: page views, industry "respect," what not.

Let's face it: Katie Cotton has way more money than me. She is far more famous than me.

Do I care about that? No.

She's still an unapologetic liar. She was pretty good at it for a few years, then ended up not being able to play the game that she dealt herself into.

She earned everything she has today, whether it be money or disdain. She probably commands very little respect, except for a few pet press people. After all, she has been silent for over three years, not something to brag about when you are a high-tech PR person and paid to blab.

Again, I wish her the best of luck in her future endeavors. For the sake of all humanity, let us hope that does not include public relations.

Disclaimer: I am an AAPL shareholder.

• Reply 44 of 146
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member

What would Sheryl Sandberg say? She can't work and have kids?

• Reply 45 of 146
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member

Katie Cotton is the exact type of PR Executive I would hire. She was a kind person, on campus, always with a warm smile and a quick wit. She learned to pick up the NeXT style very well. When we merged and took over Apple she got on board, arms open and mind wide open. She soaked up what it was to be part of NeXT and now Apple.

She will have left a top of the bill staff to take over for her. Best wishes to her, always.

• Reply 46 of 146
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    mpantone wrote: »
    Good for you, we are in similar situations although I refuse to divulge my exact average share purchase price, we are pretty close (your purported entry price is lower than mine). Admittedly, most of mine are in a Roth IRA, my capital gains tax liability pressure will be low.

I'm still surprised how gung ho you are about Katie Cotton. 

I am happy she is gone, you apparently aren't. Will you be selling soon?

Gung-ho? Not quite. She did her job well. I dont understand your hatred.

Why would I sell just because the PR exec left?
    drblank wrote: »
    Prove me wrong.  go get a copy of his iTunes library.

Can't prove a negative. Obama's press secretary left. I guess there's another person upset at the Beats deal.
  • Reply 47 of 146
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Conspiracy theory?  Well, that's not what I'm hearing from my buddies that work at Apple.  The word I'm getting from sources indicate my theory is probably more accurate than yours. 

HAHAHA.

You're so full of shit, you're literally drowning in it. Its so easy to lie blatantly on the internet eh? Funny how you suddenly randomly allude to your "buddies" at Apple confirming your ludicrous opinion that everyone is mocking. And not ONE source, no, you have MULTIPLE sources that just happen to all confirm your previous shitty posts. If you're gonna make shit up, at meat try to be somewhat believable, instead of asking us to believe that a bunch of Apple employees told you that Katie Cotton left because of Beats- apparently you have better sources than Evert single new organization and blog on the internet, otherwise we would have heard your ridiculous assertion from somewhere else.

Shouldn't this kind of blatant and crass lying be ban worthy? What can such a shameless and self serving liar possibly contribute to these forums?
  • Reply 48 of 146
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    I picked up mine at a split-adjusted $4.35, my ROI is fabulous-er! :p  :)

You just made me green with envy. ???? I hope you had the foresight to buy a couple thou shares at that price (don't answer that...).
  • Reply 49 of 146
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member
    Quote:

And who are yours?  I just know that the Beats buyout was not widely accepted internally by ALL Apple employees.

I am sure you personally know ALL of Apple's employees, right? Didn't think so...

Why is it that you are always looking for the dark side of everything?

• Reply 50 of 146
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

You're right. Bill Gates has no excuse not to keep working because OMG, he's still young enough to. /s 

How can YOU be so sure your "correlation = causation" theory is right?

What you interpret as "awfully coincidental" is reflection of your own suspicions and biases, nothing more. It's your own mentality.

Surprise! Not everyone sees a conspiracy in every twitch.

I tell you what.  Why did Donald Rosenberg, the former Head Council of Apple that was only with them for 10 months leave to go to Qualcomm?  Do you know the truth behind that one?  I do and I can prove it.  PM me with your request and MAYBE I'll send you the link and information as to why he left.  What did the media say about that departure?  What did Apple say about it?

• Reply 51 of 146
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,701member
    Quote:

And who are yours?  I just know that the Beats buyout was not widely accepted internally by ALL Apple employees.

prove it.

• Reply 52 of 146
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Can't prove a negative. Obama's press secretary left. I guess there's another person upset at the Beats deal.

Obama and Apple are unrelated.

Just be aware that when anyone leaves a company at a high level, there are typically only sugar coated reasons why people leave.  Having several high ranking people at a successful company leaving within a short period of time is highly suspicious unless the company is taking a nosedive and it's obvious that it's taking a nosedive.  I just am not buying into the sugar coated versions because every time I left a company to go back to college or to go to another company, etc.  I would sugar coat it to people that didn't need or want to know all of the reasons, but if I asked on a close personal level I might say the real reasons, but it's not typical for these types of people to list ALL of the reasons unless it's health related.

I personally think Gates left Microsoft because he was going in and out of court rooms as Microsoft was getting sued constantly and I think he was just worn out and wanted to take his guilt money and try to put a positive spin on his reputation.  He was constantly trashed in the media while they were getting sued.  Now Ballmer left because Windows 8, Surface etc. has been sucking and i think he was probably told it's time to leave.

they don't typically like telling people everything as they don't want it attracting more attention.  You just seem to buy into the media a little too much and you hate it when someone tries to explain a more truthful perspective.  I just know the mentality of a lot of people at Apple and how they would think about Dre's involvement with Apple. I already know it's not well received and Cotton most likely doesn't want to deal with it and it's VERY easy to understand that. But you don't want to hear the truth.

Oh well.  I know what i know and that's what I believe. Deal with it.

• Reply 53 of 146
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Realistic View Post

I am sure you personally know ALL of Apple's employees, right? Didn't think so...

Why is it that you are always looking for the dark side of everything?

I do have abilities to find things out that most people are oblivious to.   i don't necessarily look for it, but when I sense something's wrong, I can figure out what the BS is.  

I don't LOOK for it initially. I just see things with clarity.  You just don't want to accept certain things.  That's living in denial.  Don't be in denial.  Apple management isn't perfect.  The second you think it is, is the second you are brainwashed by them.  I've been in the high tech industry a long time and I've known things about certain companies and people because  of who I run into and what I hear is really going on. But I don't believe everything Cook says or other high ranking officials of ANY company.  I'm just really concerned that Cook maybe screwing things up and that it might prove to back fire and I personally don't want that to happen, but I don't have control over that, he and others do.  I'm just pointing it out because I hate it when CEO's of companies sugar coat a problem that exists.  

• Reply 54 of 146
    Quote:

Originally Posted by CanukStorm View Post

prove it.

Do you know any employees at Apple really well where you know they aren't going to BS you?  If you do, ask them to tell you the truth.  Especially if they either work at Corporate or know people that do.  I don't reveal my sources to protect THEIR employment.  they don't tell me anything about product releases, but they tell me internal attitudes towards things or their own personal take on something.  It's just something that was talked about.  

• Reply 55 of 146
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member
    Quote:

Do you know any employees at Apple really well where you know they aren't going to BS you?  If you do, ask them to tell you the truth.  Especially if they either work at Corporate or know people that do.  I don't reveal my sources to protect THEIR employment.  they don't tell me anything about product releases, but they tell me internal attitudes towards things or their own personal take on something.  It's just something that was talked about.  

In other words... hearsay.

• Reply 56 of 146
    Quote:

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

In other words... hearsay.

I guess.. But the sources I have are honest.  There was an article I read a couple of days after the Dre YouTube video hit that that didn't go over well at Apple Corporate.  That was from a published article.  I don't recall the exact article, but that was one published source that was recent.

You should go BACK to your island and become a hermit again.  that would make me happy.

• Reply 57 of 146
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mpantone View Post

Good riddance, part of the Steve Jobs era that really deserves to be shown the door and handed her hat.

She has been an unabashed, unapologetic and crushingly unconvincing liar on behalf of the company (primarily for Steve).

She fulfilled an important role in the company at the time, although she largely fell silent about a year before Steve's passing, probably because no one sane would believe what she uttered, like the "Steve is out with a virus" B.S. which because increasingly shrill and ludicrous.

But hey, high tech public relations is one of the most soulless careers on the planet, it's rather surprising that anyone can survive nearly two decades in such a soul-sucking role. Hopefully there's something still left in her heart.

I sincerely wish her the best of luck on her future endeavors. For everyone's sake, let's hope it has nothing to do with public relations.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mpantone View Post

No, because she was clearly lying and basically clammed up the last year of Steve's life, probably because everything she uttered was insanely unbelievable.

Her aggressiveness was not the optimal way to address Steve's absence, she basically dissolved the Apple PR department's credibility. At least one image of a very frail Steve (with an IV drip) appeared in the media. It apparently was a real photo.

She could have said "Apple does not comment on the medical condition of its executives" rather than the "Steve has a virus" B.S.

Dowling has been the corporate spokesperson since Steve's passing. I don't think her name has been on press releases for years, let alone any sort of quotes in the media.

Note that Apple's stock did not completely tank when Steve passed away. The market (fund managers, etc.) already knew what was going on.

She did a job, but it was not the best. Again, I will point out that she has been almost completely mute since Steve's passing, nearly THREE YEARS AGO. That is a long damned time to be the head of a Fortune 500 company's PR department without making an utterance.

Anyhow, she gets to live with her life choices. I will reiterate that I sincerely wish her the best of luck in her future endeavors.

I'm also impressed to see how many AI readers are Katie Cotton fans. Your prayers to her will be most welcome.

Disclaimer: I am an AAPL shareholder.

What a load of drivel.

You sound bitter & angry about the way Katie performed her job. I happen to think she served Apple exceptionally well - you don't agree. Not every company on the planet has to operate the same way, nor do the employees of those companies. As far as your phrasing of "the Steve Jobs era" - I humbly suggest that you show some respect & perspective. Steve was a co-founder, & when he came back, he (& those who he convinced to work extremely hard, including Katie) re-created the Apple that you have shares in today. 

There is nothing at all believable about the sincerity of your good wishes for her future.

• Reply 58 of 146
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Thank god there are some sane people at Apple. This idea that Apple will save the music industry or bridge the divide between Hollywood and Silicon Valley is nonsense. Beats needed to be saved and Apple needed streaming music. Iovine suckered Apple into doing this deal. Unfortunately now Ive's team is stuck with the design of these overpriced products and Schiller is stuck selling and marketing them.

Does this seem very Apple like?

beats-by-dre-pill-characters-on.jpg
  • Reply 59 of 146
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member
    Quote:

You should go BACK to your island and become a hermit again.  that would make me happy.

Hahahahahaha... I must have hit a nerve.

I can spot bullshit as well.

• Reply 60 of 146
    Quote:

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Hahahahahaha... I must have hit a nerve.

I can spot bullshit as well.

You are the one who thinks I'm peeing on your Cheerios.  I hit your nerve a LONG time ago and you are just someone that needs to crawl back to your island.

I'm not the one calling myself a island hermit.  Look in the mirror.