Apple has a few more secret banners still under wraps at WWDC 2014

Comments

• Reply 21 of 69
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    potatoman wrote: »
    Yeah, last year they had two hidden banners, and after iOS 7 and Mavericks were announced, they each had a banner. iOS banner showed a few iPhones showing off control centre and some redesigned apps, and the Mavericks banner was similar to the tease, the big white X over the wave wallpaper, but it said 'OS X Mavericks - Power to the Desktop'

So these secret banners really don't mean secret products. I would love them to, but don't get your hopes up.

But... Given that OS X banner is visible this year they probably are new products or a new look, or new apps etc. Thinking health book.
  • Reply 22 of 69
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    asdasd wrote: »
    They are unveiled during the keynote. Just before people leave and after all announcements. So the attendees will leave the keynote to see them but of course they know what's in there by then.

I get that but I wonder how they are orchestrated. Are these Moscone or Apple employees removing the banners. Do they use a lift or have they rigged some other mechanism to do it with ease. You probably need 2 to make this happen for safety reasons. If they are Moscone employees are they privy to what's behind it (whomever made the banners knows what they say; does Apple make these in-house for added security?).

How do they get the go ahead to remove it. Are they sent a radio or text message from someone from Apple watching the event who is given a command to relay the message once that portion of the keynote starts or just after that portion ends. Or does someone from Apple walk and give the command directly and let them know which banner to remove?

Is this information relayed through several people before getting to the staff that actually remove it? Is this series of events protocols set up by Apple or has Moscone setup their own system as Apple might be the only one that wants this sort of setup?

Several of these questions I lean heavily to one answer but it's simply not something we can know.
  • Reply 23 of 69
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    pmz wrote: »
    Well I certainly hope so, as its otherwise shaping up to be the single most underwhelming WWDC of all time if the rumors thus far are all of it.

Many here, including myself, think that WWDC 2014 is shaping up to be fully whelmed.
  • Reply 24 of 69
    I have the solution to the subscription/download quandary that you've all been waiting to hear with bated breath.

Possibly in association with iTunes Match, a monthly and an annual subscription are offered. The monthly one offers unlimited streaming of all the music on the iTunes Store but no downloads. The annual one offers unlimited streaming plus a certain number of downloads per month which can be kept forever even if the subscription stops. The downloads are either free or substantially discounted.

This way, one can dip in if not sure of taking the plunge; otherwise, for a fairly modest fee - probably just a little more than iTunes Match currently costs - one has access to the whole music library of 36 million tracks at your fingertips. Those who wish to own favoured tunes are catered to, those who wish to devour the vast iTunes back catalogue are sated, and the music industry is injected with new vitality and flourishes, revived once again by its guardian angel, Apple.

... She shall have music wherever she goes!
  • Reply 25 of 69
    solipsismx wrote: »
    I get that but I wonder how they are orchestrated. Are these Moscone or Apple employees removing the banners. Do they use a lift or have they rigged some other mechanism to do it with ease. You probably need 2 to make this happen for safety reasons. If they are Moscone employees are they privy to what's behind it (whomever made the banners knows what they say; does Apple make these in-house for added security?).

How do they get the go ahead to remove it. Are they sent a radio or text message from someone from Apple watching the event who is given a command to relay the message once that portion of the keynote starts or just after that portion ends. Or does someone from Apple walk and give the command directly and let them know which banner to remove?

Is this information relayed through several people before getting to the staff that actually remove it? Is this series of events protocols set up by Apple or has Moscone setup their own system as Apple might be the only one that wants this sort of setup?

Several of these questions I lean heavily to one answer but it's simply not something we can know.

I was at a WWDC in San Jose once, back when it was easy to go to ( I got in free because I knew Apple employees ) and the guys taking down the posters were employees of the venue not Apple. I had left to go out about an hour and a bit into it and didn't bother going back in. Anyways I forget what was unveiled but it looked like they just took the coverings off at a few minutes before the hour. Not an uncovering for every announcement as it happened. I don't even remember what that WWDC was about but it was pre-OS X.
  • Reply 26 of 69
    popinfreshpopinfresh Posts: 145member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

I have the solution to the subscription/download quandary that you've all been waiting to hear with bated breath.

Possibly in association with iTunes Match, a monthly and an annual subscription are offered. The monthly one offers unlimited streaming of all the music on the iTunes Store but no downloads. The annual one offers unlimited streaming plus a certain number of downloads per month which can be kept forever even if the subscription stops. The downloads are either free or substantially discounted.

This way, one can dip in if not sure of taking the plunge; otherwise, for a fairly modest fee - probably just a little more than iTunes Match currently costs - one has access to the whole music library of 36 million tracks at your fingertips. Those who wish to own favoured tunes are catered to, those who wish to devour the vast iTunes back catalogue are sated, and the music industry is injected with new vitality and flourishes, revived once again by its guardian angel, Apple.

There is no way the music industry would agree to a licensing term that would be cheap enough to allow apple to offer a streaming service like you described (which is basically rhapsody / remmants of napster) for "a little more" than $25 / year. What is more likely and feasible is that they integrate the $500 million purchase of Beats music into iTunes and work to negotiate similar terms for the entire iTunes library. Something along the lines of $9.99 / month or $100 / year for an individual, or partially subsidized for a family plan by a carrier like what Beats is doing with AT&T for up to 5 people. This last piece is where I see Apple needing the most growth and innovation, dealing with Family models. This is something that needs to be tackled at some point for all of their services (music, movies, TV, books, apps, etc.) for both iOS and OS X. It's a simple prospect for something like a streaming service like Beats, however this gets much more complicated with their other offerings that are purchased content.

-PopinFRESH

• Reply 27 of 69
    Really? I thought all banners were covered last year ?
  • Reply 28 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Nope, Just like this year a simple banner with just the X as well as a banner with just a 7 for iOS on a white doted background.

EDIT: Then they uncovered the OS X banner with the name on it.

-PopinFRESH

• Reply 29 of 69
    benjamin frostbenjamin frost Posts: 7,203member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Happily, the Apple Insider banner is still around, and the victim is drblank. ????

• Reply 30 of 69
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Having worked a lot of trade shows I would guess that the banners are installed by GES or whoever the trade show management company is. For security they have only their most trusted employees work on it. If it is GES, they print and install the banners themselves. They are totally trustworthy. 

I remember years ago I was at their facility where I usually just walked right in since I had a badge as a client, however this time there was lots of security and I could not pass. Turns out that was because they were producing banners for the announcement of the new Anaheim Ducks and no one was allowed in the color graphics department except the GES people.

• Reply 31 of 69
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Having worked a lot of trade shows I would guess that the banners are installed by GES or whoever the trade show management company is. For security they have only their most trusted employees work on it. If it is GES, they print and install the banners themselves. They are totally trustworthy. 

I remember years ago I was at their facility where I usually just walked right in since I had a badge as a client, however this time there was lots of security and I could not pass. Turns out that was because they were producing banners for the announcement of the new Anaheim Ducks and no one was allowed in the color graphics department except the GES people.

I wouldn't doubt that mstone. GES is one of the largest expo services companies that could handle all of the services in-house. Another potential is that Apple could have the materials produced by TBWA/Media Arts Lab and then the installment work done by another expo services contractor like Regal (who wear maroon shirts). However this would tend to have more hands in the honey pot, and I would consider GES far more trustworthy than Regal, for both disclosure purposes as well as installation.

-PopinFRESH

• Reply 32 of 69
    mstone wrote: »

Ha! The only "insiders" I ever dealt with were "lumpers" when we had a booth at the 1979 Computer Faire.
  • Reply 33 of 69
    curtis hannahcurtis hannah Posts: 1,833member
    Likely apps or new products like maybe Apple TV 4.
  • Reply 34 of 69
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Are you kidding? Each banner will get 5 article written about it come Monday¡

And wait until you read the ten year retrospective on poster grommets from Dan Dilger. It'll be a 3,000 word masterpiece!
  • Reply 35 of 69
    sacto joesacto joe Posts: 895member

Off Topic, but thought people might like to know:

Fortune’s Apple 2.0 is apparently dead. All you get when you try to go to the old link is an archive of the old stories - minus ALL of the old comments.

However, PED is still posting on Fortune, and you can go to the Apple section with the following url:

http://fortune.com/tag/apple/

• Reply 36 of 69
    sacto joe wrote: »
    Off Topic, but thought people might like to know:

Fortune’s Apple 2.0 is apparently dead. All you get when you try to go to the old link is an archive of the old stories - minus ALL of the old comments.
    However, PED is still posting on Fortune, and you can go to the Apple section with the following url:
    http://fortune.com/tag/apple/

I'm not understanding what you're getting at. If I go to http://fortune.com/tech/ and click on any story it comes up blank. It sounds like they have a bug.
  • Reply 37 of 69
  • Reply 38 of 69
    asdasd wrote: »

But that just points to the same link he posted. However a comment mentioned ad blockers which when disabled will load the results properly.
  • Reply 39 of 69
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Many here, including myself, think that WWDC 2014 is shaping up to be fully whelmed.
    Absolutely! A lot of people are unable to mange their expectations around here. Those are the people who thinks anything but a 'revolutionary' new iPhone is utterly underwhelming. Given what we have how a new iPhone can be revolutionary is beyond me.
  • Reply 40 of 69
    themacmanthemacman Posts: 151member
    EXCLUSIVE! AppleInsider has posted photos of black tarps and doesn't know what's behind them.
    BREAKING! There is signage beneath the tarps. AppleInsider has no information about these signs.

LOL. I love it!!!