Apple has a few more secret banners still under wraps at WWDC 2014

Posted:
in Mac Software edited June 2014
In addition to the "8" and "X" banners referring to the upcoming releases of iOS 8 and the next version of OS X, Apple has additional banners at WWDC that are still under wraps.

Apple has opened the ground floor of Moscone Center to early registration, but isn't letting anyone upstairs. It's the ground floor where the main banners (above) are hanging.

In the two levels above, Apple has additional banners, but they're still covered up. While the floors aren't accessible to outsiders (or even registered attendees yet), is has been possible to catch a sneak peak in previous years by trespassing on the top floor of the Fifth and Mission parking garage, which is technically closed.

The tops of additional banners on the higher floors are partially visible from outside (above, and enhanced), but those banners are still covered up.

In previous years, Apple has hung both unobstructed banners for supporting technologies like AirPlay, and additional secret banners that remained cloaked until the Keynote disclosed new initiatives. It looks like 2014 will be a year where a few more secrets are revealed.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 69
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    The new ii. Like a real pair of glasses.
  • Reply 2 of 69
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    I've always wondered about the logistics of how they unveil those hidden banners.
  • Reply 3 of 69
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Well I certainly hope so, as its otherwise shaping up to be the single most underwhelming WWDC of all time if the rumors thus far are all of it.
  • Reply 4 of 69
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

Maybe an Xcode 6 banner?

• Reply 5 of 69
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Well I certainly hope so, as its otherwise shaping up to be the single most underwhelming WWDC of all time if the rumors thus far are all of it.

Don't worry. It does not matter what will be announced. It will be viewed at least as underwhelming as the last ten years of WWDC's. During which the company has been on a tear that has made the stock fortyfold or so in price. Along with hit product after hit product:

http://www.technologizer.com/2014/06/01/wwdc/

In fact, let's all *hope* that this years WWDC will actually be *at least* as underwhelming as any of them. Then we will *know* that Apple is still doing just fine.

• Reply 6 of 69
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member
    Congrats to poster "pms". Got the first WWDC whine in there.
    Way to go!
  • Reply 7 of 69
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    What did Apple have covered up last year?
  • Reply 8 of 69
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

But Apple has NEVER covered its banners before. ;)

• Reply 9 of 69
    cferrycferry Posts: 26member
    Much ado about nothing! Let us know when you find out what they say...
  • Reply 10 of 69
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    cferry wrote: »
    Much ado about nothing! Let us know when you find out what they say...

Are you kidding? Each banner will get 5 article written about it come Monday¡
  • Reply 11 of 69
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Are you kidding? Each banner will get 5 article written about it come Monday¡
    Last year one of the covered banners was an iPhone with an iOS 7 home screen.
  • Reply 12 of 69
    notscottnotscott Posts: 247member
    Oooh I hope it's the iSponge.
  • Reply 13 of 69
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Yeah, who cares about new versions of Apple's desktop and mobile platforms, which underpin and are contained in every single product that they make.  How utterly underwhelming, even though you don't even have a clue of what changes will be shown in OSX/iOS? Amazing. 

The great thing is people like you proclaim every WWDC to be the most underwhelming of all time- I don't remember one which wasn't claimed to be so - and yet, here we are with Apple as the most successful company on the planet. Maybe you should start your own company, since Apple can never seem to meet your special standards. 

• Reply 14 of 69
    benjamin frostbenjamin frost Posts: 7,203member

I have the solution to the subscription/download quandary that you've all been waiting to hear with bated breath.

Possibly in association with iTunes Match, a monthly and an annual subscription are offered. The monthly one offers unlimited streaming of all the music on the iTunes Store but no downloads. The annual one offers unlimited streaming plus a certain number of downloads per month which can be kept forever even if the subscription stops. The downloads are either free or substantially discounted.

This way, one can dip in if not sure of taking the plunge; otherwise, for a fairly modest fee - probably just a little more than iTunes Match currently costs - one has access to the whole music library of 36 million tracks at your fingertips. Those who wish to own favoured tunes are catered to, those who wish to devour the vast iTunes back catalogue are sated, and the music industry is injected with new vitality and flourishes, revived once again by its guardian angel, Apple.

• Reply 15 of 69
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member

EXCLUSIVE! AppleInsider has posted photos of black tarps and doesn't know what's behind them.

BREAKING! There is signage beneath the tarps. AppleInsider has no information about these signs.

• Reply 16 of 69
    I have a feeling of an iwatch.
  • Reply 17 of 69
    eckerguseckergus Posts: 96member
    Crap! I can't wait to see the keynote!
  • Reply 18 of 69
    mejsricmejsric Posts: 152member
    ?anner? are alway? ?or o?. ?o... new o? ?or ?wa?c? or ??v? ??en yo? ?ave ?o wr??e ??e code ?o c?ange ??e world.
  • Reply 19 of 69
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    I've always wondered about the logistics of how they unveil those hidden banners.

They are unveiled during the keynote. Just before people leave and after all announcements. So the attendees will leave the keynote to see them but of course they know what's in there by then.
  • Reply 20 of 69
    Typo! In the last paragraph change were to where !