Apple's Tim Cook uses WWDC stage to lob grenades at Android, sets up China showdown with Google

Comments

• Reply 61 of 104
    mwhitecomwhiteco Posts: 112member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

DED = Daniel Eran Dilger

Thank you ;)

• Reply 62 of 104
    paul94544paul94544 Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RedHotFuzz View Post

Its place being "fueling Asian hardware manufacturers by providing American innovation for free which they'll use to attack American companies" I suppose?

Remember how Google bought Motorola, stripped it of its precious metals and sold the remains to the Chinese?  Google has turned Samsung - who couldn't software-design itself out of a paper bag - into a juggernaut that's even a threat to Google.

And do we really want a spyware/advertising platform to be the dominant mobile solution?  I sure don't.  Frankly, I don't want any one single dominant solution at all.  Look where that got us with Microsoft.  I'd prefer the market be evenly split among iOS, WinPhone and Android, but that won't ever be the case with Google giving their crap for free to any two-bit white box manufacturer that wants it.  It's Microsoft all over again, but more sinister this time.

Of course we can always fall back on the tired (but true) "Competition is Good!" slogan, but in this case Google isn't doing anyone any favors.  Except for Samsung and HTC, of course...

I totally agree, but I'm more optimistic. I think Google's days are numbered (in sense of growth) because they cannot generate the same revenue per click they can off Desktops and they even admitted it too. They are worried about this big time because its where most of their revenue comes from (Google is essentially a 1 franchise company, desperately trying to break out of that mold and generate new product/service), (Apple is a 2 franchise company Phone and Computers,and perhaps even a 3 franchise if we add music/video revenue) ) Google has to become at least a 2 and possibly a 3 franchise corporation to prosper and that is why they are throwing money at all kinds of ventures (Motorola, Glass, home, cars, wearables etc.) and failing miserably at them btw. The incredibly high P/E ratio is predicated on them getting one or two of these to generate significant earnings. If they don't and Wall street gets a wind of this , watch out, the share price will tank down to underat least $100 in order to get the P/E ratio back to the norm for current revenues Google knows full well that most of the Android phones out in the wild are NOT being used to access the internet much, mostly the high end phones like iPhone and Samsung Galaxy lines. Google burnt their bridge with Apple which resulted in them losing a lot of the google maps data to Apple Maps and now Apple is puting the screws to Google even further with all this new integration and using Bing. Apple has a strategy to completley marginalize google off the iPhone imho. Tim Cook is following Steve's instructions to go thermonuclear on Google! first with lawsuits vs Samsung and simultaneous with integration of services MacOS /iOS etc to hardware which is Apples strength and strategic advantage. I bet Steve told him the key to making Apple bigger is to marginalize Google and he told him how to do it. I have my own idea about how this will proceed but that's off topic
  • Reply 63 of 104
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    DED = Daniel Eran Dilger

haha that took me months to figure out when I started visiting AI not long ago.
  • Reply 64 of 104
    just_mejust_me Posts: 590member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

DED = Daniel Eran Dilger

Daniel Eran Dilger = DED = Corrections

• Reply 65 of 104
    igrouchoigroucho Posts: 63member

-

• Reply 66 of 104
    igrouchoigroucho Posts: 63member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul94544 View Post

I totally agree, but I'm more optimistic. I think Google's days are numbered (in sense of growth) because they cannot generate the same revenue per click they can off Desktops and they even admitted it too. They are worried about this big time because its where most of their revenue comes from (Google is essentially a 1 franchise company, desperately trying to break out of that mold and generate new product/service), Google has to become at least a 2 and possibly a 3 franchise corporation to prosper and that is why they are throwing money at all kinds of ventures (Motorola, Glass, home, cars, wearables etc.) and failing miserably at them btw. The incredibly high P/E ratio is predicated on them getting one or two of these to generate significant earnings. If they don't and Wall street gets a wind of this , watch out, the share price will tank down to underat least $100 in order to get the P/E ratio back to the norm for current revenues Google knows full well that most of the Android phones out in the wild are NOT being used to access the internet much, mostly the high end phones like iPhone and Samsung Galaxy lines. Google burnt their bridge with Apple which resulted in them losing a lot of the google maps data to Apple Maps and now Apple is puting the screws to Google even further with all this new integration and using Bing. Apple has a strategy to completley marginalize google off the iPhone imho. Tim Cook is following Steve's instructions to go thermonuclear on Google! first with lawsuits vs Samsung and simultaneous with integration of services MacOS /iOS etc to hardware which is Apples strength and strategic advantage. I bet Steve told him the key to making Apple bigger is to marginalize Google and he told him how to do it. I have my own idea about how this will proceed but that's off topic

Amen to that!

• Reply 67 of 104
    paul94544paul94544 Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Just_Me View Post

Daniel Eran Dilger = DED = Corrections

DED = Deadly Educated Dude
  • Reply 68 of 104
    redhotfuzzredhotfuzz Posts: 313member
    Quote:

I totally agree, but I'm more optimistic. I think Google's days are numbered (in sense of growth) because they cannot generate the same revenue per click they can off Desktops and they even admitted it too.

One can hope you're right, but thus far Google can do no wrong in the eyes of the press, investors and the ignorant public.  And their fanboys are the most vocal (and usually angry) of any fanboy population I've ever seen, so they make a lot of pro-Google noise on the Web.  Must be that cute little green robot that has them all snowed.

• Reply 69 of 104
    Quote:

I bet Steve told him the key to making Apple bigger is to marginalize Google and he told him how to do it. I have my own idea about how this will proceed but that's off topic

A nice start would be taking mapping seriously (my frequent error reports go completely unaddressed month after month after month) and coming up with their own in-house search services (or buying Yahoo?).  Relying on Bing is not a long-term solution.  Search is key to a platform - you can't be reliant on a competitor to provide it for you.

• Reply 70 of 104
    gatorguy wrote: »
    Mr Cook giving attention to competitors at his own developer's conference?? Why would Android enter into it at all? Seems un-Tim-like and unprofessional to me. I'd expect that type of message might come from an underling like Schiller (or someone like Ballmer) who's lobbed a few at competitors in the past, but surprising to see Cook feel Android needed to be addressed when introducing new Apple software.

Samsung scheduled an event in the same city at the same time as WWDC to try lure the developers away from Apple's event, so I was happy to see Cook pouring icy cold water on Samsung's parade via Android. Within the context that Cook made those statements, it was well done and on topic. I'm also happy that his comments were noticed by and repeated by the pundits. In two hours Apple made have announced enough things to fuel stories from now to when Apple gets near releasing new hardware.
  • Reply 71 of 104
    benjamin frostbenjamin frost Posts: 7,203member
    I loved this attack from Cook!

'Toxic hellstew'! Just brilliant. You would almost think he had been scouring Apple Insider for titbits. I see this approach as unusual for Cook. I feel he is taking a leaf from Jobs's demeanour, which is no bad thing.

Looking forward to watching the keynote again in HD. It's up as a podcast.
  • Reply 72 of 104
    redhotfuzz wrote: »
    A nice start would be taking mapping seriously (my frequent error reports go completely unaddressed month after month after month) and coming up with their own in-house search services (or buying Yahoo?).  Relying on Bing is not a long-term solution.  Search is key to a platform - you can't be reliant on a competitor to provide it for you.

Apple may be focusing on China's mapping (as they mentioned in the Keynote) and your reports may be a much lower priority.

While I would have agreed with your opinion that "search is key to a platform" at one time, how Apple is implementing Spotlight on their OSX and iOS may just marginalize Google by allowing the end user to add in widgets to Spotlight. If Apple's approach works out right, we could see search results be better fine-tuned and free of all the hits that are high on the list due to ad-words instead of search terms. Meanwhile Apple could focus on improving the search experience without supporting a huge search engine.

Apple has the installed base today to damage Google's cash cow. By not sending their users to Google by default, Apple will be removing a large segment of high-income users from Google's search engine. This will undercut the automatic use of Google's real customers (advertisers) in using Google to reach their customers. This means Google will be less able to set their own prices and see diminished income. This is happening at a time when Google's search patent is soon to expire... it's no wonder they are frantically trying to develop jet packs for grazing animals and cars without steering wheels.
  • Reply 73 of 104
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    apple ][ wrote: »
    Let's see more of this!

I like when people tell it like it is. Good for Tim Cook!

I especially liked the line about Android users seeking a better experience and a better life!:lol: It is very true! I also liked how Tim Cook addressed how less than 10% of Android users are actually using the newest OS. That is just so pathetic.

The average Android user is not tech savvy and they merely ended up with their phone because they got it for real cheap or free. The Android experience is a miserable experience plagued by bloatware, carrier installed junk, malware, viruses, poor performance, terrible apps that are ugly and massive fragmentation that exists between Android devices.

It's no wonder that Tim Cook said that Android users seek a better life, because Android is basically the operating system for the third world, and who the hell wants to live in the third world? It's no surprise that Android is doing best in those countries which are some of the poorest on the planet. Android is mostly garbage made for people who can't afford anything else. Whenever I see Android users on public transportation, most of them look like that they are heading off to their minimum wage jobs. 

Apple needs to continue lobbing grenades and anything else they can find at Android. Watch how a few "concern trolls" will come and claim that Apple shouldn't be doing this. :lol:

Had some guy whining about his new S5 not having the camera icon on his lock screen, he'd obviously seen pictures of the US version.

Told him that's because carriers configure Android however they want it, the Australian versions don't have it, now go away you chose "open".
  • Reply 74 of 104
    carthusiacarthusia Posts: 585member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Mr Cook giving attention to competitors at his own developer's conference?? Why would Android enter into it at all? Seems un-Tim-like and unprofessional to me. I'd expect that type of message might come from an underling like Schiller (or someone like Ballmer) who's lobbed a few at competitors in the past, but surprising to see Cook feel Android needed to be addressed when introducing new Apple software.

Could your post be morer wronger?

• Reply 75 of 104
    Apple may be focusing on China's mapping (as they mentioned in the Keynote) and your reports may be a much lower priority.

Well then that's a serious problem. If they can't get U.S. mapping right, what business do they have moving on to China? Fix your crap, Apple. We're trying to help, but what's the point if you pay no heed to user reporting?
  • Reply 76 of 104
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Up until now he's not done so has he? It had been left up to lesser execs like Schiller to deliver the one-liners in Mr. Jobs absence. Thus my surprise that he chose to do so now.

Cook's fired shots at Android before.  He's also fired shots at Americans for being unskilled.  He's also fired shots at Americans for being poorly educated.  He's not above any of that.

• Reply 77 of 104

Why not mention the competition?  Hello, I'm a Mac and I'm a PC was the most successful ad campaign ever. Agreed?

• Reply 78 of 104
    delreyjonesdelreyjones Posts: 335member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DarkLite View Post

What? I wasn't making a comparison, I was trying to illustrate that contrary to delreyjones' bizarro world (where working at a big company makes you perfect), companies have made mistakes and seriously misjudged how to present products in the past. iPhone 4 and 'antennagate', Ping, Google Glass and 'Glassholes', Google Wave, Google Buzz seen as privacy-invading, Windows Vista / 8 and their public perception and more - the list goes on. The idea that people are infallible just because they're successful is worse than stupid.

(To clarify: I'm not saying all of these are actual issues, I'm saying that they are perceived as major issues in part due to misjudged presentation on the part of the relevant company).

My apologies, because I obviously didn't make myself clear in my earlier post.  I never meant to imply that working at a big company makes you perfect.  What I meant was being an executive at Apple makes you very elite and very smart about Apple's business. Despite how smart these executives are, they definitely still make mistakes.  No argument there.  

Where I disagreed with your original post was that you implied that Tim Cook hadn't even considered the possibility that in general it's a bad idea to bring attention to  your competitor.  I maintain that it's absurd to think that Cook and his executives are not of aware of this truism that's taught in Business 101.  Of course they're aware of that argument.  They just happen to have other more compelling reasons that trump in this case.  In my opinion, the executives at Apple are not perfect, but they're very very good.  Your post made me wonder if you shared that opinion.  

• Reply 79 of 104
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

While I would have agreed with your opinion that "search is key to a platform" at one time, how Apple is implementing Spotlight on their OSX and iOS may just marginalize Google by allowing the end user to add in widgets to Spotlight. If Apple's approach works out right, we could see search results be better fine-tuned and free of all the hits that are high on the list due to ad-words instead of search terms. Meanwhile Apple could focus on improving the search experience without supporting a huge search engine.

Apple has the installed base today to damage Google's cash cow. By not sending their users to Google by default, Apple will be removing a large segment of high-income users from Google's search engine. This will undercut the automatic use of Google's real customers (advertisers) in using Google to reach their customers. This means Google will be less able to set their own prices and see diminished income. This is happening at a time when Google's search patent is soon to expire... it's no wonder they are frantically trying to develop jet packs for grazing animals and cars without steering wheels.

I think this approach is more of what Steve meant by thermonuclear war against Google. I'm sure he didn't just think about lawsuits. He likely thought of every conceivable legal way Apple could hurt Google. Why not start by getting rid of them on your own platform?

• Reply 80 of 104
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RedHotFuzz View Post

I agree. Apple needs to improve Maps and needs it's own search engine. Why not just try to buy DuckDuckGo?  It may be better (cheaper) than buying Yahoo for search. Apple still could offer Google search as an alternate. But how about having "Apple Search" as the default?