Lightning headphones could allow Apple to make slimmer iPhones by ditching 3.5mm headphone jack

Comments

• Reply 181 of 206
    igrouchoigroucho Posts: 63member

This will pave the way to have battery cells in the headphone itself. You could stuff a lot of cells in the bracket for ex both powering the headphone as well as providing extra power to the phone.

• Reply 182 of 206
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    There is a proposal to introduce legislation to force device manufacturers to include Micro USB compatibility. If passed, Apple would be required to provide adaptors for all the EU with new devices. 

If they do pass the legislation I sure hope that the mini USB 3 is included as that wouldn't be so bad. In fact I would have preferred it over the Lightening Port as the transfer speeds are pretty fantastic.
    techboy wrote: »
    ROFL! You are clearly clueless and buying into all the hypes. IF you actually follow and used Apple products for 20 years you should know by now, many of their products actually failed before Steve Jobs returned to save it.

I'm guessing you like being an mindless consumer and never doubt those "great" execs whom never made bad decisions. Ohhhh, wait! What was that Apple antenna gate shit about? What was the Apple map hype about? I dunno, perhaps you have been hiding under a rock?

I'm not claiming to be a know-it-all (like you are), just a well informed Apple user. You can repeat all the news and "facts" you like from news. What you can't deny is Apple as a company has made very very bad decision in the past...so bad, before Jobs returned, they were about to go bankrupt. How is that for a fact?

No doubt it will take a lot of mistakes from here for Apple to go down hill again, and you know what? Their competitors are counting on that.

If Apple does go all in with lightning port and discontinues the 3.5mm port I have no doubt that their will be a satisfying amount of headphones available, if not in the beginning defiantly soon after. Most higher end headphones will defiantly not be using it though because the lightning port isn't an open standard but I truly believe an all digital universal connector may come out this as it really is time to replace the 3.5mm. I'm still on edge about how one will be able to listen to music while charging an i device or using things like Midi and DJ equipment but I'm hopefully Apple will come up with a solution that isn't too troublesome or requires one to purchase completely new gear.
  • Reply 183 of 206
    igrouchoigroucho Posts: 63member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Relic View Post

If they do pass the legislation I sure hope that the mini USB 3 is included as that wouldn't be so bad. In fact I would have preferred it over the Lightening Port as the transfer speeds are pretty fantastic.

Such an adapter will open up for any crap charger to connect to an iPhone. I'm sure Apple aint too happy about that but what can they do in case of a legislation?

• Reply 184 of 206
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    ROFL! You are clearly clueless and buying into all the hypes. IF you actually follow and used Apple products for 20 years you should know by now, many of their products actually failed before Steve Jobs returned to save it.

I'm guessing you like being an mindless consumer and never doubt those "great" execs whom never made bad decisions. Ohhhh, wait! What was that Apple antenna gate shit about? What was the Apple map hype about? I dunno, perhaps you have been hiding under a rock?

I'm not claiming to be a know-it-all (like you are), just a well informed Apple user. You can repeat all the news and "facts" you like from news. What you can't deny is Apple as a company has made very very bad decision in the past...so bad, before Jobs returned, they were about to go bankrupt. How is that for a fact?

No doubt it will take a lot of mistakes from here for Apple to go down hill again, and you know what? Their competitors are counting on that.

1) So we have you claiming to be more knowledgable than everyone at Apple because you've been a user of Apple's products for 20 years when Tim Cook has been an employee for only 16 years not to means the more than hundreds of thousands of collective years of all the employees currently working at Apple. Despite all this you absolutely know that you know better because you're a user. Makes perfect sense¡

2) Funny that you make all claims about Apple before Steve Jobs but the only examples you can muster are trumped up issues under Steve Jobs. I would have gone with Ping and MobileMe if you wanted to find real issue with Apple's focus, not the iPhone 4 which they sold up until last year with no HW changes. So much for being a failure.

3) Perhaps most egregious and sounded simply insane is that you claim you aren't sounding like a know-it-all (unlike me) when I'm the one that stated Apple has info that we don't have and that you should consider that before making sweeping claims that Apple is doomed.
  • Reply 185 of 206
    benjamin frostbenjamin frost Posts: 7,203member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anklosaur View Post

Remember how Apple caught a lot of flack when they moved the headphone jack to the bottom of the iPhone 5? Could they have been planning for this possibility way back then?

Don't know, but I was very happy that they did as I'm a cyclist and the phone is now 'in the correct position' in my jersey - for me. The phone is in the upright position when I take it out of my pocket and the headphone cable points upwards so the phone isn't resting on the plug when it's inside my pocket.
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Woochifer View Post

And the full length of the 3.5mm jack would now be external to the device. Picture a wafer-thin iPhone with this awkward dongle poking off the bottom for anyone who wants to use an analog headset. Not exactly the elegance that Apple purportedly aims for.

I'm sure you don't miss any SCSI plugs; evolution is a thing of beauty, and you can join that crowd as well. Disclaimer: that is not supposed to sound lame, derogative or me attacking you. I'm merely trying to make the point that Apple removes plugs or changes their design because they can do better than current standards, even if they're the ones who created that. One such case was the removal of the FW port on the MBP. Read the famous thread which got 1600+ replies:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/92061/jobs-responds-to-outrage-over-macbooks-missing-firewire

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woochifer View Post

You sure about that? According to these measurements, the digital-to-analog audio chain used on the iPhone 5 performs better than most dedicated headphone amps. If the earlier post about Apple going with Wolfson DACs on the iPhone is true, then that would explain why, since Wolfson DACs are more often found in high end audio components.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/apple/iphone-5/audio-quality.htm

As much as I like his opinions, being a hobbyist photographer myself, I don't think quoting Ken on his views on audio makes your case strong.
    Quote:

...I use an Apogee One DAC that is connected via the Lightning Port, so in a way I have already moved on from using the built in 3.5mm jack.

Thanks for that tip!
    Quote:

..will the power dongle have two Lightning ports on it so I could listen to music while the iPad charges or will I have to wait? Will Apple come out with a 4 Port Lighting Port adaptor because if they continue down this line it's going to be a must.

Highly unlikely; they aim for simplicity. If this removal of the audio jack is going to happen they will tell people to charge their device before listening to music, which would make sense. I first charge it, then use it.

Putting in two Lighting Ports will seem awkward, and people might doubt where to plug in their headphone and which port to use for charging.
    Quote:

I wish Apple would use the same chipset as the Fiio X3 or X5 line of MP3 Players. Bought an X5 or I should say got one for my birthday last year and it is by far the best sounding portable music player I have ever listened too.

Hear hear! (pun intended) that device sure has great sound!
    Quote:

... but their interface was made by a 12 year old on Ritalin.

Too funny!
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

The EU needs to die like yesterday. What is the point of making Micro USB mandatory when almost of all of those adaptors will end up in landfill? What a huge waste of resources! Happily, there is a huge anti-EU movement taking place in most of Europe. 

I don't follow.

There is a proposal to introduce legislation to force device manufacturers to include Micro USB compatibility. If passed, Apple would be required to provide adaptors for all the EU with new devices. 

[/quote]

I don't follow either. They simply want compatibility with mUSB power adapter, and Apple offers an adapter in their Store. Case closed, no?

€19

If the legislation is passed, Apple will be obliged to provide the adaptor with every new iPhone and iPad, not just sell it in the store as an optional extra. So virtually all of them will be thrown away, at huge waste, as opposed to the current situation, in which Apple offer an adaptor in their store.

• Reply 186 of 206
    rivertrip wrote: »
    It's interesting how many people are certain they know more about engineering and marketing than Apple. 

I'm not too proud to admit that I do. /s
  • Reply 187 of 206
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    If the legislation is passed, Apple will be obliged to provide the adaptor with every new iPhone and iPad, not just sell it in the store as an optional extra. So virtually all of them will be thrown away, at huge waste, as opposed to the current situation, in which Apple offer an adaptor in their store.
    Lightning cables are expensive, USB cables are cheap, so why would the adaptors get thrown away? I'll be happy to take yours off your hands.
  • Reply 188 of 206
    ash471ash471 Posts: 705member

What makes everyone think that Apple has to ditch the 3.5 connector just because they intend to use the lightning connector for headphones? There are good reasons to have a lightning connector to a headset.  You don't have to take out the 3.5 connector to add that functionality. I would bet this is going into the iPhone 6 and Beats headphones will soon use the lighting connector to provides added functionality. 

Don't get your panties in a twist....the 3.5 mm connector isn't going anywhere.

• Reply 189 of 206
    clayp711clayp711 Posts: 11member
    Another dumb rumor and could be one of the dumbest thing Apple can do, on top of buying Beats. A thinner smartphone is no longer a big deal. Apple have beaten this horse dead. Turning some/all Beats headphones with lightning connector simply isolated their existing fan-based.

In the world of audiophiles, Beats headphones are mediocre. I'm still trying to understand why Apple would waste $3.2 billions. There are better companies to buy.

The true Audiophiles wouldn't be the target. Beats is a name brand that Iovine And Dr. Dre made "stylish" and "popular". It has wide acceptance, and a huge customer base, not so much with the 40+ generation, but with the 13 - 35s who are a largely targeted audience, who "appear" to like them as a fashion statement and status symbol, which coincidentally is a group that also views the latest smartphone as a status symbol, as well as a nice vehicle with all the bells and whistles ( initiative with Carplay), as well as their accessories. (MK, Coach, Kate Spade, etc. Designer accessories for anything apple. My point is that Apple licenses and develops and products for younger generations, not mainly a small group of audio perfectionists. The mass of the public is satisfied with beats, and believes ( brainwashed to think) beats are the best available (not true) due to the wide acceptance and social status associated with them.
  • Reply 190 of 206
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member

If history is any indication Apple will simply ignore their signed agreement, just like they did in 2009:
    http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_IP-09-1049_en.htm?locale=en
    http://www.tuaw.com/2013/09/27/eu-bureaucrats-want-to-force-apple-to-adopt-micro-usb-adapter/

Besides, I don't think the EU is making Apple to put a mUSB plug on the phone itself; they simply want a common charger for mobile CE products. So an adapter will be all they need to provide, and I don't think they will be forced to include it with every device either.

http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_IP-14-261_en.htm?locale=en
  • Reply 191 of 206
    igroucho wrote: »
    Such an adapter will open up for any crap charger to connect to an iPhone. I'm sure Apple aint too happy about that but what can they do in case of a legislation?

Since this legislation has been in the works for a while now Apple was fully aware before they released the Lightning Port. No, there probably isn't much Apple can do about this, remember these are the same folks that went after Microsoft for including IE in Windows XP and not bundling in another browser, why they haven't gone after Apple yet for not allowing users to set their own default browser in iOS is anything short of a miracle. I'm sure Apple will just pass the 2 dollars or whatever it costs to produce the adaptor to the consumer. We already pay a premium for Apple products here so the extra expenditure isn't going to make a big difference. Further the lightning port can only draw 5 volts, even if someone uses a more powerful charger it's not going to matter. Apple wouldn't have released this adaptor upon the iPhones 5s's initial launch if there were any major problems. I have yet to even remove the charger out of the box for my iPad as it's charged in my Alesis IO Dock. If there are any problems, well that's what the user agreement is for.
  • Reply 192 of 206
    philboogie wrote: »
    If history is any indication Apple will simply ignore their signed agreement, just like they did in 2009:
    http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_IP-09-1049_en.htm?locale=en
    http://www.tuaw.com/2013/09/27/eu-bureaucrats-want-to-force-apple-to-adopt-micro-usb-adapter/

Besides, I don't think the EU is making Apple to put a mUSB plug on the phone itself; they simply want a common charger for mobile CE products. So an adapter will be all they need to provide, and I don't think they will be forced to include it with every device either.

http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_IP-14-261_en.htm?locale=en

I think Apple has already started bundling the adaptor, I got one with my iPad Air and my neighbor got one in her iPad Mini LTE box but she got it from a mobile provider and that just might be something that they do as she also got the HDMI dongle. I found it strange to find the adaptor in my Apple bag, I really thought it was just a free gift as I didn't ask for it. Its a pretty handy little thing though and I would defiantly recommend one if you don't already have one. I hate carrying around multiple chargers and my Kindle charger seems to work really great with the iPad. Not to mention connecting a hard drive up to my iPad is pretty cool as I have like a bagillion sound files for the many music creation apps that I have installed. Here's hoping that we finally get a real file manager with iOS 8, really one of the only things that I want in iOS and still frustrates me to no end that there still isn't one thus far as its the last piece of the puzzle for making my iPad into a real computer replacement.
  • Reply 193 of 206
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    relic wrote: »
    I think Apple has already started bundling the adaptor, I got one with my iPad Air and my neighbor got one in her iPad Mini LTE box but she got it from a mobile provider...

That's interesting. I checked online shops in Europe but didn't see it included. The websites from telco's put me off so much with everything Flashing I didn't check those out.
    It's a pretty handy little thing though and I would defiantly recommend one if you don't already have one. I hate carrying around multiple chargers and my Kindle charger seems to work really great with the iPad.

I sometimes take the Lighting cable with me when going to a friends house who still all use the 30pin connector. Since I don't think they have any mUSB chargers the Apple adapter wouldn't be much help for me here.
    Not to mention connecting a hard drive up to my iPad is pretty cool

Can you elaborate on that? Every time I connect something it tells me it draws too much power and the acc. won't work. Obviously your HDD has it's own PSU, but will iOS scan the drive for photos and give you the option to import those? Or will that work with audio as well?

As for iOS to make the filesystem user accessible, I don't think they will take that route, especially now that they're going to give iCloud a filesystem. It would indeed be handy though, especially if you get the 128GB version. But ok, cloud computing is here to stay.
  • Reply 194 of 206
    chemiclechemicle Posts: 17member

No wonder they are cautious about breaking from legacy technologies when it comes to headphones.  I see little need for the technology making its way into headphone jacks.  As much as the fanboy might like the idea, forcing people to buy yet another accessory for their phone.(because Apple headphones and beats are garbage).

I haven't read through the posts, but I'm sure that there are those on here that have said that it would alienate the audiophiles and that would be a terrible mistake. The old saying "Just because you can do it, doesn't mean you should".  

• Reply 195 of 206
    leesmithleesmith Posts: 121member
    I don't need my iPhone to be thinner. I'd actually prefer it to be a little thicker and have a battery that can last for more than a day or two.
  • Reply 196 of 206
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    leesmith wrote: »
    I don't need my iPhone to be thinner. I'd actually prefer it to be a little thicker and have a battery that can last for more than a day or two.

It sounds like the Mophie Juice Pack Air is what you need.
  • Reply 197 of 206
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BobSchlob View Post

But they did include video adapters with every Macintosh for years and years.

Along with physical keyboards....

Quote:
    Originally Posted by filburt View Post

One of the mistakes Apple made when it launched iPhone 5 is not including a Lightning to 30-pin Adapter in the packaging.

If Apple chooses to go with this route, and I think size saving could be worth it, it would be wise to include a hybrid Lightning cable that can connect to PC/Mac/power for charging and syncing, as well as a headphones jack for connecting with existing headsets.

I never missed it (Lightning to 30-pin). Then again I DO recycle my old earpieces (the more recent ones anyway, not the round crap) so a way to keep them active for backups would be appreciated.

• Reply 198 of 206
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by Paulieforce View Post

What if you want to listen to music through headphones AND charge your phone?

So you use the adapter.

• Reply 199 of 206
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,450member
    Quote:

I'm fully aware that video out is app-dependent. That's why I said the experince was inconsistent. To solve the problem I found an older XGA 4:3 ViewSonic projector on eBay that included three new bulbs. It's not a elegant solution but it works. When almost every single flat screen TV on the market is 16:9 or some other wide aspect ratio I find it a little baffling and annoyed that Apple couldn't accommodate them. I defiantly prefer using something that has a built in HDMI which autodetects the resolution of the monitor it is connected to and adjusts itself accordingly. Needless to say I don't use my iPad for multimedia because of it. Which is fine as I use my iPad for a single purpose, music creation and for that its absolutely fantastic. The reason for the comment was I wanted to output the display from the iPad to a larger monitor to display notes while I'm playing my Violin or Cello as well use it to display my music apps. The ViewSonic works for now but if anyone knows of a projector that has the same resolution of the iPad it would be much appreciated or does the iPad not output its native resolution. If the 200 dollar EVGA Note 7 can display its desktop in 4k I'm sure the iPad can display its native resolution.

I think I may have misunderstood — I thought you were saying you were surprised that your iPad would mirror its 4:3 display at 4:3 on a 16:9 TV.

• Reply 200 of 206
    Quote:

I'm fully aware that video out is app-dependent. That's why I said the experince was inconsistent. To solve the problem I found an older XGA 4:3 ViewSonic projector on eBay that included three new bulbs. It's not a elegant solution but it works. When almost every single flat screen TV on the market is 16:9 or some other wide aspect ratio I find it a little baffling and annoyed that Apple couldn't accommodate them. I defiantly prefer using something that has a built in HDMI which autodetects the resolution of the monitor it is connected to and adjusts itself accordingly. Needless to say I don't use my iPad for multimedia because of it. Which is fine as I use my iPad for a single purpose, music creation and for that its absolutely fantastic. The reason for the comment was I wanted to output the display from the iPad to a larger monitor to display notes while I'm playing my Violin or Cello as well use it to display my music apps. The ViewSonic works for now but if anyone knows of a projector that has the same resolution of the iPad it would be much appreciated or does the iPad not output its native resolution. If the 200 dollar EVGA Note 7 can display its desktop in 4k I'm sure the iPad can display its native resolution.

I have a couple of those old ViewSonic projectors I'd love to sell; each for the price of a new bulb. Each contains a good bulb and comes in a hefty foam-cushioned travel suitcase. I love these old units because they have great audio volume; unlike most on the market today. Interested? I have pictures.