Lightning headphones could allow Apple to make slimmer iPhones by ditching 3.5mm headphone jack

15678911»

Comments

• Reply 201 of 206
    Bad idea to change it. yeah give users more excuses to change to the steadily becoming more popular, cheaper alternative android devices. If they are going to do this, they are definitely starting the path to their equivalent 1980's downfall.

All can be fixed tho if they include the lightning 3.5" converter standard in the package i.s.o the earbuds...
  • Reply 202 of 206
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member

I have a couple of those old ViewSonic projectors I'd love to sell; each for the price of a new bulb. Each contains a good bulb and comes in a hefty foam-cushioned travel suitcase. I love these old units because they have great audio volume; unlike most on the market today. Interested? I have pictures.

Thank you for thinking of me and your offer but I already have one, a ViewSonic PJD5223. Works pretty good, even though it's only 2,700 ANSI Lumens I have to say it still looks very vibrant. Even though I bought it as a used item it came packaged in the original box with the warranty sticker unmolested, so I think it's new, looks new, smells new, It also came with three brand new bulbs. Price, 160 bucks, I love eBay.

pjd5223_right.jpg
  • Reply 203 of 206
    sudoalpine wrote: »
    Bad idea to change it. yeah give users more excuses to change to the steadily becoming more popular, cheaper alternative android devices. If they are going to do this, they are definitely starting the path to their equivalent 1980's downfall.

All can be fixed tho if they include the lightning 3.5" converter standard in the package i.s.o the earbuds...

I'm assuming your comment was directed at me. I didn't use the Android tablet examples as ploy to try to change peoples mind into switching platforms. Far from it, the iPad is the defacto tablet that I truly believe everyone should own. The iPad has truly changed the way I record, produce and create my music. Asking Apple to make the iPad fully compatible with the 90% percent of TV's and monitors that use a 16:9 as their default aspect ratio isn't going to revert them to an older era. Quite the opposite, 16:9 isn't going anywhere, outside of a few monitor models that still use 4:3, 16:9(10) is now the defacto resolution for external displays. 4:3 on an iPad is fine, Apple can keep it as it's definitely a more enjoyable aspect ratio when viewing documents and surfing the web. Even though I've owned 2 iPads prior to my new Air I never had a reason to use it with an external display. So when the need arose I assumed the experience would be somewhat similar to that of my other tablets, especially when I had to fork over not only a 1000 dollars for the 64GB LTE version of iPad Air but another 80 to purchase the HDMI dongle(I live in Switzerland, European residents get bent over a barrel when it comes to purchasing Apple products). So continuing, my Nexus 10 and why I used an Android tablet as an example, regardless of the resolution or aspect ratio, all the way up to a 2560 x 1600 (yep you read that correctly, even though the maximum resolution for the Nexus 10 is rated at 1080P, if your device is rooted, simple type; "adb shell wm size 2560x1600" in a terminal) down to 800 x 600 can be used. Which means whatever the native resolution of your external display is, the mirrored desktop experience looks great.

My complaint is a valid one, the fact of the matter is that HDMI adaptor was an after thought. Apple is focusing on AirPlay, which is fine as the apps that were built from the ground up to support wireless streaming work fairly well but the need to display the entire desktop and every app that I have installed on a external display at 1080P or higher is something that needs to be addressed or do you think I am being ridiculous. I had to purchase a 4:3 projector for the sole purpose of doing what I want, I'm getting a little tired of having to purchase additional equipment to get my Apple devices to do what is already built into the competitions devices. Take DLNA for example, regardless if you think this standard is garbage, most tablets and phones support it and it WORKS. All of my TV's have DNLA but I have to purchase an Apple TV if I want stream a movie wirelessly from my iPad, which is fine as I like the Apple TV but I don't want to have to buy one for every TV that I own. The same thing will happen if and when Apple get's rid of the 3.5MM jack, Apple will most defiantly not include this adaptor for free and you will most likely not be able to listen to music and charge the unit at the same time. Unless of course Apple will start using wireless charging but again Apple will defiantly not include the charging pad. So I will have to purchase two more things for something that I am already able to do. This move from Apple is solely a means to gain new revenue, aggressively nudging people to purchase their soon to be all new fully digital Lightning port only Beats headphones.

I have nothing against change if it benefits the user, the move from the 30 pin port Lightning port was a good one, though I thought Apple should have gone with USB 3, not the port but the protocol for faster transfer speeds, if you going to go with an entirely new standard, then go all the way with it. Removing an open standard port like the 3.5MM headphone jack does not, what is the motivation of buying a pair of 300 dollar Beats or any other headphones that can only be used with an Apple product that support Lightning port, well their portables anyway as you will still have to buy another pair of headphones for your Macbook and iMac.

Enough of my rant, these are just thoughts and in no way will stop me from using my iPad, like I said I purchased an additional projector just for the sole purpose of using it with my iPad, even though I already have a fantastic one that supports 1080P. You may now begin ripping apart my response.;) "Relic, you suck butt, may you die a thousand deaths at the hands of a Zune owner"
  • Reply 204 of 206
    poboypoboy Posts: 7member

very cool make it to where android tries to make there own knockoff version   lol

• Reply 205 of 206
    poboy wrote: »
    very cool make it to where android tries to make there own knockoff version   lol

I realize you're jesting but I highly doubt that will ever happen, even Samsung saw the futility of supporting a closed format with their version of the 30 pin port. Especially when third party mini USB accessories for Android devices are already scarce enough. Apple however, being an oligopoly is in a position to do pretty much whatever they want too, including stripping away the 3.5mm port to aggressively nudge their user base to buy headphones from them. I truly believe that most third party headphone manufactures though will most likely opt for a wireless solution then support the Lightning port, which actually might be a good thing as we'll finally get some decent Bluetooth headphones. Similiar to when Apple switched from their 30 pin to the new Lightning port when we saw a huge influx of wireless speakers from manufactures that supported many devices instead of being just Apple specific.
  • Reply 206 of 206
    I think this is a great idea.Yes, they really should launch the thinner iPhones. I would love to get one.