Japan's latest Apple Store features all-glass walls, aluminum roof and spiral staircase

Posted:
in General Discussion edited June 2014
Construction workers have removed the protective barriers fronting the upcoming Apple Store in Omotesando, Japan, revealing three all-glass walls, a hanging Apple logo and central spiral staircase leading to an underground level.

Source: Ringo-Sanco

The first photos of Apple's brick-and-mortar outlet come courtesy of Japanese blog Ringo-Sanco, which caught the unofficial unveiling early this morning as workers took down barriers protecting the store's facade.

The box-like structure shares the new architectural design language first seen in the "Stanford 2" Apple Store in California, with three glass walls holding up what looks to be a thin aluminum or aluminum clad roof. Compared to the Stanford location, Japan's latest Apple Store features much taller walls and a central spiral staircase.

As seen in the photo above, the top level is dedicated to product displays, including the usual iPhone, iPad and Mac stations found in Apple Stores around the world. It is thought that the Genius Bar, accessories showcase and other Apple Store staples are located on the lower level.

As noted in a previous report, the Omotesando Apple Store will feature an eco-friendly "green curtain" of leafy vines to keep heat inside the store to a minimum. The foliage covers the exterior of the back concrete wall that is exposed to direct sunlight during the day.

According to Apple's website, the Omotesando store is set to open on June 13 and will be open seven days a week from 10 a.m. to 9 p.m. local time.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 46
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

I’m certain they’re there for structural reasons but it’s a shame those glass ribs have to be there. From an angle they throw off the facade.

• Reply 2 of 46
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I’m certain they’re there for structural reasons but it’s a shame those glass ribs have to be there. From an angle they throw off the facade.

Yes, it may have been a challenge to satisfy their earthquake building standards otherwise...

• Reply 3 of 46
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Steve would have approved of this design.  However, being the kind of person that he is, he would immediately tell whatever structural/materials engineer to figure out how to remove those ribs.

I still think fondly about how he removed the glass panels in the New York store to replace them with fewer, longer panels.  Even paid for it with his own money.  :)  Only Steve would be that OCD about it, and get away with it.

That being said... ribs or not... the Japan store certainly looks stunning!

• Reply 4 of 46
    As long as it's not a rust bucket barge in the bay I'm okay.
  • Reply 5 of 46
    number10number10 Posts: 2member

So beautiful

• Reply 6 of 46
    mejsricmejsric Posts: 152member
    Seeing a glowing Apple logo makes me want it on iPhone/iPad too...
  • Reply 7 of 46
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    They're all beginning to look the same. Except for Grand Central NYC these glasses boxes are beginning to look kind of dated.
  • Reply 8 of 46
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    [@]pazuzu[/@] has been reported for blatant trolling.

Perhaps that will change once curved glass can be made reliably. I know they plant to have it for their new HQ. Perhaps lessons learned from that mild curve in the glass will lead to new facades with a curve that would then not need the other glass supports, or at least not as many.
  • Reply 9 of 46
    domkdomk Posts: 1member
    It'd be silly to have one pane. Not only insanely expensive, but look what happened in Sydney
    http://www.smh.com.au/technology/technology-news/apple-has-smashed-windows-20091022-haej.html
    Much easier to replace a pane or two. And imagine if one huge pane shattered!

Incidentally, Sydney is much more like this store than Stanford 2, judging by the photos, and dates back to 2008. Same huge curtain wall - and you have to have the ribs, which are barely noticeable when you look at it.
  • Reply 10 of 46
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    solipsismx wrote: »

Where's the blatant trolling flag button? ;)
  • Reply 11 of 46
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Where's the blatant trolling flag button? image

Saying glass boxes are looking redundant in architecture is hardly trolling.

I won't even go there in what  solipsism is blatant in.

• Reply 12 of 46
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

They're all beginning to look the same. Except for Grand Central NYC these glasses boxes are beginning to look kind of dated.

Dated, compared to what exactly? Go ahead and give us an example of what store design makes this look dated? Nevermind, just another troll post from you. 

Also, I'm still waiting for you to bring your forth evidence for your lie where you claim I "swore up and down that Beats is the creme de la creme of headphone technology". 

• Reply 13 of 46
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member
    I wish there was a way to filter out any comment that has "steve would have..." in it.
  • Reply 14 of 46
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

Your comments are looking a bit dated.

• Reply 15 of 46
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    pazuzu wrote: »

Grand Centra Terminal? The old stone ballustrade with an older fake night sky ceiling? Built in 1913?

Good one.
  • Reply 16 of 46
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    Giant glass and aluminum edifice with an Apple logo. It's like, if you could live inside an Apple product...
  • Reply 17 of 46
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Giant glass and aluminum edifice with an Apple logo. It's like, if you could live inside an Apple product...

Well, a dated one because apparently glass and metal are so passé¡
  • Reply 18 of 46
    solipsismx wrote: »

I've been reporting his trolling for quite a while now. I'm trying to play by the rules, but unfortunately it seems that blatant trolling is perfectly ok. It's not even remotely creative or intelligent trolling either. A monkey could do it.

Speaking of curved glass without ribs.. I can't wait to see pics of the auditorium of the new Apple campus.The design is very similar to, and foreshadowed, the new designs we're seeing of glass walls and aluminum roof. For anyone who hasn't seen the mockup, it's basically going to be a circular glass wall 360 degrees with a flying saucer shaped aluminum roof. It should be very impressive.
  • Reply 19 of 46
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by PatchyThePirate View Post

Speaking of curved glass without ribs.. I can't wait to see pics of the auditorium of the new Apple campus.The design is very similar to, and foreshadowed, the new designs we're seeing of glass walls and aluminum roof. For anyone who hasn't seen the mockup, it's basically going to be a circular glass wall 360 degrees with a flying saucer shaped aluminum roof. It should be very impressive.

Two things. First, Safari now automatically uses websites’ search bars on its own!

Except I didn’t want that in this case.

Second, picture! Click to embiggen. Since Huddler finds it a crime against humanity to just have full-size images inline.

• Reply 20 of 46
    thewhitefalconthewhitefalcon Posts: 4,453member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by BobSchlob View Post

I wish there was a way to filter out any comment that has "steve would have..." in it.

Steve would have made sure there was a way. ;)