Apple's smarter Smart Cover would keep users up to date with illuminated alerts

13

Comments

  • Reply 41 of 73
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

    Not a single word of a lie.

     

    Uh… huh…

     



    Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

    Apple don't have any active notification messaging beyond the initial chime. If your screen is off, the only way to know there's anything waiting is to turn it on. 


     


    Sure thing.

     

    You changed your argument from "Apple have it" to "Apple don't need it"




    Nope. Never said they had LED notifications. Said they had better notifications already.

     

    Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post

    You have to understand how TS “thinks.”

     

    Why would you say something that makes people think you are an idiot? You really ought to be smarter than what you’re pretending to be here.

  • Reply 42 of 73
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

     

     

    Why would you say something that makes people think you are an idiot? You really ought to be smarter than what you’re pretending to be here.


     

    I wish you would consider what you just wrote every time you post.

  • Reply 43 of 73


    You then follow this sentence with, "Apple don't have any active notification messaging beyond the initial chime. If your screen is off, the only way to know there's anything waiting is to turn it on."

    ?Your second sentence here contradicts the first. If Apple notifies you with a chime, then that is letting you know that there's something waiting without turning on your screen. That is one example of your lack of clarity.

    The iPhone and iPad are portable devices, which Apple would reasonably expect you to have with you most of the time. Therefore, they consider one notification to be enough. What's more, to keep repeating notifications would drain the battery and quickly annoy.

    There is no contradiction in what he wrote. He said there is no notification after the initial chime, and in order to find out about missed notifications in the case that you miss the initial chime you have to turn on the display. That solution is not elegant because by repeatedly turning on the display to discover any missed notifications you drain a lot of battery.

    Android phones have gotten around this problem with the notification LED and even more advanced solutions like the Active Display on the Moto X.

    No. Why would you need to repeatedly turn on the display? Either you get a notification and decide to act on it or not, or the lock screen shows it. That's not going to make any difference to battery life. You're describing a problem looking for a solution.

    I presume you either don't own an iPhone or don't know how to use notifications properly.
  • Reply 44 of 73
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post

    I wish you would consider what you just wrote every time you post.


     

    And there you go again. Your claim has never, at any time, been correct. You can provide no evidence for it, whereas I can disprove it instantly. It is libel. Shut your hole.

  • Reply 45 of 73
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,388member
    droidftw wrote: »
    Apple has shown us time and time again that who came up with an idea is irrelevant.  It's he who holds the patent to the technology that holds the power.  It's then up to the patent holder to decide if they want to use it aggressively.  If I were HTC I would be a little nervous right now.

    I really like Elon Musks view of patents and how opening them to other's free use can actually expand his own business. This is well worth reading and then thinking about.
    http://www.teslamotors.com/blog/all-our-patent-are-belong-you
  • Reply 46 of 73
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

     

    Someone set up us the global transportation energy revolution.

  • Reply 47 of 73
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Someone set up us the global transportation energy revolution.

    God did that already, it's called 'feet' ;)
  • Reply 48 of 73
    No. Why would you need to repeatedly turn on the display? Either you get a notification and decide to act on it or not, or the lock screen shows it. That's not going to make any difference to battery life. You're describing a problem looking for a solution.

    I presume you either don't own an iPhone or don't know how to use notifications properly.
    No. Why would you need to repeatedly turn on the display? Either you get a notification and decide to act on it or not, or the lock screen shows it. That's not going to make any difference to battery life. You're describing a problem looking for a solution.

    I presume you either don't own an iPhone or don't know how to use notifications properly.

    You don't repeatedly turn on the phone to respond to one notification. You repeatedly turn on the phone to check whether you have a notification. Whether or not you do this, I see people do this all the time.
  • Reply 49 of 73
    And there you go again. Your claim has never, at any time, been correct. You can provide no evidence for it, whereas I can disprove it instantly. It is libel. Shut your hole.

    What claim? That's you're biased to the point of blindness? I don't need to prove that. You do it daily.
  • Reply 50 of 73
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post

    I don't need to prove that.

     

    Goodbye argument, hello delusion.

  • Reply 51 of 73
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

    A world of sigh.

  • Reply 52 of 73
    bigmikebigmike Posts: 266member
    I heard they're working on a cover for the cover.
  • Reply 53 of 73
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post





    No. Why would you need to repeatedly turn on the display? Either you get a notification and decide to act on it or not, or the lock screen shows it. That's not going to make any difference to battery life.

    How exactly do you view the lock screen if the display is turned off?

     

    Answer: you turn it on.

     

    How do you know there are notifications on your lock screen if you were out of earshot for the chimes?

     

    Answer: you don't, iOS has no mechanism to do this (like, for example, an LED that tells you when there are unread notifications), other than turning the display on.

     

     

    There are not difficult concepts.

  • Reply 54 of 73
    crowley wrote: »
    No. Why would you need to repeatedly turn on the display? Either you get a notification and decide to act on it or not, or the lock screen shows it. That's not going to make any difference to battery life.
    How exactly do you view the lock screen if the display is turned off?

    Answer: you turn it on.

    How do you know there are notifications on your lock screen if you were out of earshot for the chimes?

    Answer: you don't, iOS has no mechanism to do this (like, for example, an LED that tells you when there are unread notifications), other than turning the display on.


    There are not difficult concepts.

    The lock screen comes on automatically if you get a notification.

    If you're out of earshot, you're probably deaf or in a very noisy place, in which case you can get a vibrating notification.
  • Reply 55 of 73
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

    And what if you're not in constant physical contact with your phone, like most people?  Or asleep?  Or you're on a rollercoaster?  Or god knows how many other scenarios that might mean you miss a notification, or have reason not to check your phone at that precise time?

     

    Notifications last, what... 10 seconds?  With some having a second reminder that also lasts that number of seconds.  Many people have other distractions in their life which means they aren't paying attention, either actively or passively to their phone every minute of every day.  Things get missed, or forgotten.  It happens.

     

    So, for the god-knows-how-many-th time, the iPhone doesn't offer a method for knowing you have unread notifications without turning the display on.

     

    If you don't care about that functionality, that's fine.  I don't particularly care about it myself.  But that doesn't mean that it doesn't exist, or invalidate the people that might find it useful.

     

    Sheesh.

  • Reply 56 of 73
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

     

    And what if you're not in constant physical contact with your phone, like most people?  Or asleep?  Or you're on a rollercoaster?  Or god knows how many other scenarios that might mean you miss a notification, or have reason not to check your phone at that precise time?

     

    Notifications last, what... 10 seconds?  With some having a second reminder that also lasts that number of seconds.  Many people have other distractions in their life which means they aren't paying attention, either actively or passively to their phone every minute of every day.  Things get missed, or forgotten.  It happens.

     

    So, for the god-knows-how-many-th time, the iPhone doesn't offer a method for knowing you have unread notifications without turning the display on.

     

    If you don't care about that functionality, that's fine.  I don't particularly care about it myself.  But that doesn't mean that it doesn't exist, or invalidate the people that might find it useful.

     

    Sheesh.


     

    I'm always dying to get my notifications when I'm asleep or on a roller coaster. What brilliant examples you gave of when you don't want to miss a notification. And constant physical contact with your phone? Most people never have their phone with them most of the time, no, you couldn't be closer to the truth. And I'm sure you would agree that it's much too arduous to press the home button once to see if you've missed any notifications; much too hard.

  • Reply 57 of 73

    I actually would love this feature.  One common thing that happens to me is that I usually have my Iphone on my desk,  I have to get up and go speak to someone for a few minutes, a message comes in etc...  I come back to my desk start working, check my phone, say an hour later and see I missed a TXT from my wife because I was away when the chime went off and I didn't think to check it immediately when I got back to my desk.  I little flashing LED would alert me that there was something I missed.  

     

    It's the same reason answering machines have a flashing light and the same reason mailboxes used to have little red flags.  so people didn't have to keep checking their answering machine just to hear "No New Messages"  and so they don't have to keep walking out to the curb just to see that the mail hasn't been delivered yet.

  • Reply 58 of 73

    What would be awesome would be a smart cover (for both IPhone and Ipad)  that had a "flexible" E-Ink display.  that could have messages turned on , i.e  

     

    * email from Tom,  

     

    * Message from Wife

     

    * Reminder:  Take out trash

     

    with e-ink these can be turned on and LEFT ON until you deal with them with NO POWER drain!   This is similar to the HTC dot-cover,  but the dot-cover has the same issue as the Iphone, that notifications only show for few seconds as the dot cover uses the underlying display and consumes power when in use, approximately the same power checking the lock screen 

    Or perhaps even build in a small e-ink display into the bezel of the phone maybe?  under the "glass"  near the top or the bottom,  so it looks just like the normal Iphone bezel when not in use, but then you can see an icon appear when there is a notification, and this could be a permanent icon(until you deal with it) that takes NO POWER.  Apple could even expand the touch area to cover the icon so you could tap it to wake the phone to the notification.

    (White phone fronts would have the E-Ink white background with black notifications and black Iphone would be the opposite,  black background with white notifications)

     

    Just an idea :)

    Created with GIMP

    This is possible,  just look at how this watch looks: 

    http://media.gadgetsin.com/2013/01/cst01_ultra_thin_e_ink_watch_1.jpg

  • Reply 59 of 73
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    jvanleuvan wrote: »
    I actually would love this feature.  One common thing that happens to me is that I usually have my Iphone on my desk,  I have to get up and go speak to someone for a few minutes, a message comes in etc...  I come back to my desk start working, check my phone, say an hour later and see I missed a TXT from my wife because I was away when the chime went off and I didn't think to check it immediately when I got back to my desk.  I little flashing LED would alert me that there was something I missed.
    EXACTLY
  • Reply 60 of 73
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    I'm always dying to get my notifications when I'm asleep or on a roller coaster. What brilliant examples you gave of when you don't want to miss a notification.
    Silliness. Obviously you'd want to get your notifications when you wake up, or exit the roller coaster, or finish whatever it was you were doing that meant you weren't paying attention to your phone.
    And constant physical contact with your phone? Most people never have their phone with them most of the time, no, you couldn't be closer to the truth.
    I think you've completely misread me there, and it's led to a sentence that makes no sense. Most people are not in constant physical contact with their phone. That's the point. Notifications get missed.
    And I'm sure you would agree that it's much too arduous to press the home button once to see if you've missed any notifications; much too hard.
    Not really, but that's not the point and never has been the point. All other things being equal, I think an LED notifier would be preferable than having no notifier.
Sign In or Register to comment.