Apple's smarter Smart Cover would keep users up to date with illuminated alerts

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 73
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jvanleuvan View Post

What would be awesome would be a smart cover (for both IPhone and Ipad)  that had a "flexible" E-Ink display.  that could have messages turned on , i.e  

* email from Tom,  

* Message from Wife

* Reminder:  Take out trash

with e-ink these can be turned on and LEFT ON until you deal with them with NO POWER drain!   This is similar to the HTC dot-cover,  but the dot-cover has the same issue as the Iphone, that notifications only show for few seconds as the dot cover uses the underlying display and consumes power when in use, approximately the same power checking the lock screen 

Or perhaps even build in a small e-ink display into the bezel of the phone maybe?  under the "glass"  near the top or the bottom,  so it looks just like the normal Iphone bezel when not in use, but then you can see an icon appear when there is a notification, and this could be a permanent icon(until you deal with it) that takes NO POWER.  Apple could even expand the touch area to cover the icon so you could tap it to wake the phone to the notification.

(White phone fronts would have the E-Ink white background with black notifications and black Iphone would be the opposite,  black background with white notifications)

Just an idea :)

Created with GIMP

This is possible,  just look at how this watch looks: 

http://media.gadgetsin.com/2013/01/cst01_ultra_thin_e_ink_watch_1.jpg

Great ideas. I don't think e-ink would be used unless colour is possible, which I don't think it is, unless the technology has moved on from when I last heard.

• Reply 62 of 73
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    crowley wrote: »
    Silliness. Obviously you'd want to get your notifications when you wake up, or exit the roller coaster, or finish whatever it was you were doing that meant you weren't paying attention to your phone.
    I think you've completely misread me there, and it's led to a sentence that makes no sense. Most people are not in constant physical contact with their phone. That's the point. Notifications get missed.

I saw a great example of a missed notification in the movie Unstoppable when the character Will finally stopped the runaway train he heard his flip phone chime for a missed call from his wife whom he was fighting with beforehand. Feature phones always had reminders, I'm truly amazed that they've been done away with in smartphones.
  • Reply 63 of 73
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Great ideas. I don't think e-ink would be used unless colour is possible, which I don't think it is, unless the technology has moved on from when I last heard.

No Color isn't possible with e-ink.  BUT the nice feature of e-ink is that it only uses power to CHANGE,  i.e. it uses a little power to create the notification icon,  but once it's displayed,  it stays displayed forever with essentially no power draw,  so it could be an always-on reminder.

I would envision it working well blended into the either white/black bezel.

:)

• Reply 64 of 73
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by jvanleuvan View Post

Color isn't possible with e-ink.

• Reply 65 of 73
  • Reply 66 of 73
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Those might be photoshopped.

Nope. Review. (summary: it's garbage, but it exists)

• Reply 67 of 73
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Quote:

All of the colors were dull and flat, and were merely saturation variations on brownish-red, sea-foam green and muted blue

Suggests that the marketing images probably have been Photoshopped.

• Reply 68 of 73
    Nope. <a href="http://www.laptopmag.com/review/ereader/ectaco-jetbook-color.aspx" style="line-height:1.4em;" target="_blank">Review.</a>
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;">(summary: it's garbage, but it exists)</span>

Can you honestly say that this (yes that's color)
    looks like this?
  • Reply 69 of 73
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    Can you honestly say that this (yes that's color)
    looks like this?
    He might. It probably depends on who makes that device. ;)
  • Reply 70 of 73
    droidftw wrote: »
    He might. It probably depends on who makes that device. ;)

Did you not see the links TS provided?
  • Reply 71 of 73
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

That would require paying attention to a post by TS which is something I try to avoid whenever possible.  The vast majority of the time I skip right by his posts as they are commonly one-liners with no thought and which add little to the conversation.

• Reply 72 of 73
    Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post

That would require paying attention to a post by TS which is something I try to avoid whenever possible.  The vast majority of the time I skip right by his posts as they are commonly one-liners with no thought and which add little to the conversation.

What should I do here? Prove his point outright (he’s wrong)? Prove his point jokingly? Prove his point jokingly in a way too subtle for most people to recognize (say, by making the text that disproves his point–and makes it a joke–white)? I think I’ll do a combination of the latter two. Hi-yo!

• Reply 73 of 73
    droidftw wrote: »
    dasanman69 wrote: »

Horse. High.