Apple TV price drops by as much as $30 in the UK & Europe, Mac mini also sees cuts

Posted:
in General Discussion edited June 2014
Apple appears to have chosen this week to revisit its pricing strategy around the world as the company lowered overseas prices for its Mac mini desktop, iMac all-in-one, and Apple TV streaming device by as much as $80.

Consumers in the U.K. can now purchase an Apple TV for just £79 ($134), a £20 ($34) drop from its previous £99 ($168) price point. The cost of standard-model iMacs has been cut by between £100 ($169) and £200 ($339), depending on the configuration, while the top-end consumer Mac mini has been made £20 more affordable.

On the continent, the Apple TV shed €10 ($14), bringing it to a cosmetic -- though not financial -- match with its American cousin. The Mac mini fell by as much as €60 ($81) in the mainland, depending on the country, though the iMac did not receive similar cuts.

It is unclear if the adjustments are part of a more aggressive pricing strategy or simply the results of currency fluctuation.

The moves follow Wednesday's introduction of a new, more affordable iMac that many believe is designed to help Apple compete with lower-cost, Windows-based all-in-one PCs. The new model comes with a 1.4 gigahertz Intel Core i5 processor, 8 gigabytes of RAM, and a 500 gigabyte hard disk in its standard configurations.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member

Damn- the Apple TV was $168 US?  Yikes...

• Reply 2 of 25
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member

Welcome to my world. Although we do have higher wages on average.

There hasn't been a $30 reduction in the UK and Europe. We don't use $.

• Reply 3 of 25
    Price in pounds sterling for the UK please. We don't use that stinking Euro!
  • Reply 4 of 25
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    And so it begins... clearing the inventory for new iMacs, Mac minis and AppleTV. Woot!
  • Reply 5 of 25
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Price in pounds sterling for the UK please. We don't use that stinking Euro! <spits>

In the famous words of Frank Rizzo "pounds baby, pounds".

PS: anyone that knows that reference gets a star.
  • Reply 6 of 25
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    jkichline wrote: »
    And so it begins... clearing the inventory for new iMacs, Mac minis and AppleTV. Woot!
    i wonder why the price drop in just these countries? Is it just some foreign exchange thing?
  • Reply 7 of 25
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Evilution View Post

Welcome to my world. Although we do have higher wages on average.

There hasn't been a $30 reduction in the UK and Europe. We don't use $.

This is a U.S. based technology blog. It is typical for media to provide local currency equivalents when discussing foreign financials since it gives domestic readership an easier grasp of the financial scope of the discussed topic.

The same is done by UK or European media, in converting American dollars to local currency (pounds sterling, Euros, whatever). This is easier that forcing the individual reader to research today's currency exchange rates on their own.

AppleInsider appropriately described the changes in local currency: UK in the second paragraph, Euro-using continental European nations in the third paragraph.

My guess is that these price adjustments are mostly due to currency fluctuations and do not indicate an imminent product line refresh. If new products were right around the corner, they probably would have debuted new pricing on the new models.

At some point, Apple will probably change the frontline pricing for certain products in other parts of the world; there's no requirement for them to do it all at the same time.

As a matter of fact, they get more media coverage by rolling out price changes in stages.

• Reply 8 of 25
    darendinodarendino Posts: 126member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Equality72521 View Post

Price in pounds sterling for the UK please. We don't use that stinking Euro!

£79

• Reply 9 of 25
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

In the famous words of Frank Rizzo "pounds baby, pounds".

PS: anyone that knows that reference gets a star.

I can even rebuild those starer motors, pal. You betcha!

• Reply 10 of 25
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    paxman wrote: »
    I can even rebuild those starer motors, pal. You betcha!

Nicely done. Did you know it or searched it?

• Reply 11 of 25
    darendinodarendino Posts: 126member

Underwhelming announcements: - crappy spec iMac, £20 off the AppleTV and £30 off the entry level Mac Mini. Meanwhile Amazon is just about to show off it's smartphone :-Q

• Reply 12 of 25
    Select (for example) $168,
    Right klick your selection and choose "search with Google"
    In the Google search field, type (for example) =€ right behind your entry. ex: $168=€,
    Hit ENTER!

Google result:
    US$ 168 =
    123.823493 €

No thanks, it's a pleasure!
  • Reply 13 of 25
    You can even use: $168=pound sterling
  • Reply 14 of 25
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mpantone View Post

My guess is that these price adjustments are mostly due to currency fluctuations and do not indicate an imminent product line refresh.

I haven't noticed any huge moves in the exchange rates. Euro/Dollar/Pound have not moved very much lately. The Yen was the last significant mover, but that seems to have settled down recently.

I think the £79 includes VAT, not sure, but that is the way it usually advertised.

• Reply 15 of 25
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    Now, if they'd just price the rest of their products in the UK at a fair markup we'd be in business!
  • Reply 16 of 25
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    rogifan wrote: »
    i wonder why the price drop in just these countries? Is it just some foreign exchange thing?

Anything to do with hoarding in Ireland?
  • Reply 17 of 25
    scartartscartart Posts: 201member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I haven't noticed any huge moves in the exchange rates. Euro/Dollar/Pound have not moved very much lately. The Yen was the last significant mover, but that seems to have settled down recently.

I think the £79 includes VAT, not sure, but that is the way it usually advertised.

The £ has strengthened over the last 12 months against $, until today Apple was only making pricing adjustments as and when new products came out.

• Reply 18 of 25
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DarenDino View Post

Underwhelming announcements: - crappy spec iMac, £20 off the AppleTV and £30 off the entry level Mac Mini. Meanwhile Amazon is just about to show off it's smartphone :-Q

Actually from the reaction I'm seeing to the Fire Phone announcement (on the Verge, Android sites and elsewhere), it may be the most underwhelming of the above... ...big round of "no ways" and other strong negative commentary...

...and btw Apple price cutting - not all related to inventory clearance and not all overseas seems to be becoming a bit of thing itself... ...welcome to me and I'm sure Tim's got his eye on the gross and net margins...

First the price cut on the MBA's and then yesterday with BestBuy's added sale + added on top of that ed sale I helped a friend pick up a new 13.3" for $749... ...nice...!!

• Reply 19 of 25
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ScartArt View Post

The £ has strengthened over the last 12 months against $, until today Apple was only making pricing adjustments as and when new products came out.

You are correct. Over the year the change for USD is -8.9%. I tend to only watch the exchange rates March through July which so far this year has been pretty flat. Those are the months I sell coffee.

• Reply 20 of 25
    markbritonmarkbriton Posts: 123member
    All EU countries charge VAT under European law. In the UK it's currently 20% and Apple (like nearly everyone else) displays the price inclusive of VAT, which for an Apple TV is now £79, or £65.83 plus VAT. In the US you have sales tax, which is similar to (but not the same as) VAT. Prices in the US typically exclude sales tax and the Apple TV is $99 plus sales tax. £65.83 at the current exchange rate is $111.85, so in the UK we're still being charged $12.85/ £7.56 more.