Amazon announces Fire Phone with 4.7" 3D head tracking display & Firefly smart scanner, exclusive to

Comments

• Reply 21 of 225
    williamhwilliamh Posts: 1,034member
    tt92618, I'm not going to call it crap - but I don't know how well this will work out. I don't think it's an "iPhone killer." I like the pricing - more storage for the price, plus a year of Amazon Prime (costs $99/yr now I think) I don't think it's ugly. I just think these key features are likely to get annoying. But then, some folks didn't think the internet would ever really catch on, so who knows?
  • Reply 22 of 225
    theothergeofftheothergeoff Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

No one takes you seriously these days unless you're selling a smartphone.

no one takes you seriously unless you control all facets of the consumer experience.

Amazon, Apple are the two leaders in online commerce.  Apple users 'buy' stuff.  Amazon 'sells' stuff. 

On Twitter last night Marc Andressen and Steven Sinofsky basically said if you are selling 100Million phones a year, you don't have to control the market... because you can control 'your' market.   The key thing is delivering a compelling experience (the BMW model).   Price is secondary if the experience is valuable to the buyer.   

• Reply 23 of 225
    macvictamacvicta Posts: 346member
    They got the screen size right, at least. Can't wait for that 4.7 inch iPhone 6.
  • Reply 24 of 225
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

So it's a glorified (and expensive) version of their craptastic Kindle Fire, optimized for the only real intent of getting you to buy more stuff from Amazon.  Great

I gotta disagree with you just a tad. I have a Fire and it's not a bad tablet. I primarily use mine for reading and a little light web surfing. It's certainly not on par with the iPad but all-in-all it's really not a bad little tablet.

• Reply 25 of 225
    egrassegrass Posts: 8member

This phone looks like it has potential to be a Samsung Galaxy killer.  I am a happy iPhone owner, but if I liked Android OS I'd take a serious look at this.  Looks good (like an iPhone) and IF the features actually work they could be fun/useful.  Not enough to get me to quit Apple's entire ecosystem (iPhone, iPad, Mac, etc etc).

This could be a serious fragmented of Android phones.  Plus with Samsung pushing Tizen, I think we are heading to an Apple + Everything else world.

If the special Amazon features work as badly as the special Galaxy S5 features (like the fingerprint and heartbeat sensor) Amazon is toast.  Can't tell of course until this is in the wild for awhile.

• Reply 26 of 225
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    sflocal wrote: »
    So it's a glorified (and expensive) version of their craptastic Kindle Fire, optimized for the only real intent of getting you to buy more stuff from Amazon.  Great.

Like all the other non-iOS offerings, it will come out with tons of fanfare, then they will realize that it's simply another example of lipstick-on-a-pig, the OS will rarely get any updates, and when it does it will not work, or be even more unstable... and then people will continue to wonder why iOS continues to be popular when there are "so many choices" in the Android world.

I give this phone six months... if that.  Bezos will, as is his usual fashion, refuse to give out unit sales and simply state that this phone will be "selling beyond what they predicted".  

Just wait...
    How do they get developers to develop for their platform when they never announce sales or activation figures? In the presentation Bezos displayed a chart showing steady growth in Prime membership but the slide included no numbers whatsoever.
  • Reply 26 of 225
    pdq2pdq2 Posts: 270member

Um, yeah.

Yet-Another-Money-Losing-Android-Smartphone (TM). For $200, on 2 year contract, only at AT+T.

Apple is clearly doomed.

• Reply 28 of 225
    digitoldigitol Posts: 276member
    I think there is a Fine point between features that are actually USEFUL, and needed, VS features for the sake of marketing. I mean I'm releasing my superPhone 600 with Quantum warp screen vision, and Mind envasion pre-emptive adaptation. Oh and the SuperPhone 600 has 20 cameras............3D!!! :)
  • Reply 29 of 225
    mkralmkral Posts: 57member
    The continuous scrolling for reading web pages/ books, etc is a pretty nice. Feature. Overall, it looks like they did a nice job on the phone. Certainly nowhere near enough to move me off my iPhone, but a nice job nonetheless. I hope Apple includes the auto-scrolling feature. It looks like a much better way to read on phones.
  • Reply 30 of 225
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    1) I don't mind that it has a gimmicky* feature since it has to differentiate itself and I like to at least see new ideas, especially if they are complete in scope unlike what we tend to see from Google and Samsung in their "First!" campaigns. I also don't mind that it's priced as a premium phone and may very well prove to be one in operation, but I do have an issue with the casing at least looking cheap. Perhaps it will feel like a quality device but I have my doubts.

2) If they are charging $650 for a 32GB phone I have to assume, by their history of going for break even pricing, that the tech inside if very expensive or they got a lot of crappy deals when sourcing components.

3) Notice they charge $100 for doubling capacity, not the $2.34 that [I]certain people [/I]say it costs to double NAND because some store near them that was going out of business sold them a 32GB USB flash drive for that price

PS: How is their 'Apple TV killer" doing?

* [SIZE=2]It's a gimmick unless it can prove to be useful and seamless to the user thereby increasing the UX.[/SIZE]
  • Reply 31 of 225
    pdq2pdq2 Posts: 270member

PS- Did anyone else notice that sales of the Galaxy S5 are projected to miss by, like 25%?

But Samsung will no doubt make up for it with those profitable, profitable sales on the low end...

Apple is doomed....

• Reply 32 of 225
    krreagankrreagan Posts: 218member
    Another "also ran" android phone...

They spent an awful lot of time and money on their "dynamic Perspective" thingy that is little more then a battery eating gimmick... just like the same on Apples phones. At least Apple didn't spend anywhere near the SW and HW $'s on something people are going to turn off after 30sec of use.
  • Reply 33 of 225
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tt92618 View Post

Here it comes: 100's of comments about how this is crap and can't possibly be cool because Apple has already invented everything of merit in the known universe.

Two down, and many more to come.

Not a single post in this thread even vaguely approximates your post. Instead of being so concerned about falsely (and trollishly) predicting people's responses in this thread, why don't you provide your own analysis of the product? That would require you to string together a couple coherent thoughts. 

• Reply 34 of 225
    tt92618tt92618 Posts: 444member
    Will this eat Apple's lunch in the market? No, obviously not. But there is some impressive tech here.

FireFly, in particular, is a really impressive engineering accomplishment. And coupled with Prime Video, Music, FireTV... you can see that Amazon is executing on a plan to build an Ecosystem that is very sticky. I happen to own AppleTV, GoogleTV, and FireTV by the way, and of the three FireTV is by far the best. I also own Android Tablets, Fire, and iPad... and while I freely admit that iPad is absolutely still the best, the Amazon devices are quite good and really put just about any android tablet to shame.
  • Reply 35 of 225
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

How do they get developers to develop for their platform when they never announce sales or activation figures? In the presentation Bezos displayed a chart showing steady growth in Prime membership but the slide included no numbers whatsoever.

I've also wondered this- as well as how the hell he can keep claiming the success of Kindle tablets when he hasn't release a single sales figure- ever. I guess we'll just take him at his word. Absolutely ridiculous. If they were proud of sales they would have publicized them. I have yet to see a SINGLE Kindle fire in real life- but we're to assume they're an incredible success.

• Reply 36 of 225
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    jkichline wrote: »
    Now with 6 cameras including infrared... so the Android hackers can watch you undress.

Off topic but you just reminded me of a old joke; what's the difference between a thief and a peeping Tom?
  • Reply 37 of 225
    theothergeofftheothergeoff Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Steven N. View Post

They may get 200,000 units per month if they are lucky. If you figure there are about 100,000,000 AT&T subscribers with about 70% on smartphones. I question if the others show interest but this might bring in late adopters.  So lets say 70,000,000 AT&T customers. I don't see this driving switchers from other carriers.

This is really targeted toward Prime with 10's of millions,,, so what 40,000,000 but only about 1/3 of those are on AT&T or about 13,000,000 potential AT&T Prime customers with about 70% smartphone penetration rates. So lets take it to about 9,000,000 POTENTIAL customers that would really be interested in this phone. Now given the bulk of them are on 24 month contracts you have about 380,000 customers/month that will even consider this phone. Given AT&T's heave iPhone population, I don't see much to cause a platform switch from iOS to Amazon's Androidish platform. I suspect it will appeal much more to Android users and perhaps Windows Phones users with a smaller media library built up.

So I put sales range between 100,000 and 200,000 per month or [s] enough to kill Apple and cause the collapse of their entire business model.[/s]

That last sentence I don't follow.  is that [sarcasm] or [smile]?

2) things that you didn't factor

1) Prime users switching TO ATT.  If your wireless connection is just a big pipe, and you're a heavy Prime user.  You may buy this phone and switch.

2) Trade Downs within contracts... getting a 2nd phone passing down a hand me down iPhone 4s or 5.

my guess is that Amazon would Like to see 400K a month in sales US. which is huge. and probably doubling next year as they roll-out to other carriers /Market. 

I do see this phone falling into anti 'Everything Else' phone.   From an Amazon perspective, writing to iOS (easy), Fire (easy), Hot Samsung Phone/current Android version (easy), and lower support for everything else.   Lower cost of support, higher consumer delight.

• Reply 38 of 225
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by tink View Post

Holy competition Batman!

In what capacity?

• Reply 39 of 225
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member

When you're spending time presenting how well your phone acts as a kindle book reader, someone should stand up and say, ``Are you kidding me?''

• Reply 40 of 225
    tt92618tt92618 Posts: 444member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Not a single post in this thread even vaguely approximates your post. Instead of being so concerned about falsely (and trollishly) predicting people's responses in this thread, why don't you provide your own analysis of the product? That would require you to string together a couple coherent thoughts. 

Go back and re-read - there are plenty.