Amazon announces Fire Phone with 4.7" 3D head tracking display & Firefly smart scanner, exclusive to

Comments

• Reply 121 of 225
    tt92618tt92618 Posts: 444member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

1) By your logic not knowing the origin of the name Bluetooth means that the technology is not only worthless but also unused by anyone that doesn't know it's named after a 10th century Scandinavian king.

2) It's not about knowing what the initialism BLE stands for but rather having your BT4.0 capable devices work with it, like a huge number of fitness trackers, health monitors, and styluses, computer keyboards and mice, but more importantly, even if you have a device that will have back support for BT 2.1 it's important for the UX in terms of battery life that it will support 4.0.

That's nonsense.  I'm pointing out that the lack of BT4 probably won't influence a significant number of consumers so as to sway their purchase decisions.

I also find it curious that they went with BT3, but I just don't think it will matter in the grand scheme.

• Reply 122 of 225
    Quote:

1) By your logic not knowing the origin of the name Bluetooth means that the technology is not only worthless but also unused by anyone that doesn't know it's named after a 10th century Scandinavian king.

2) It's not about knowing what the initialism BLE stands for but rather having your BT4.0 capable devices work with it, like a huge number of fitness trackers, health monitors, and styluses, computer keyboards and mice, but more importantly, even if you have a device that will have back support for BT 2.1 it's important for the UX in terms of battery life that it will support 4.0.

it looks like they already plan to release an update for 4.0 compatibility: http://mashable.com/2014/06/18/amazon-fire-phone-bluetooth/

So it is a software issue, not hardware.

From the article:

"The hardware for the Fire Phone does support Bluetooth LE. In fact, it's event mentioned in the FCC application. In that case, the omission of BLE support may be software related. That would mean Amazon could update its FireOS to support the technology. We've reached out to Amazon for further comment."

AND

"Update Wednesday, 6:04pm: Amazon tells us that "Fire has Bluetooth 3.0 for connectivity now and we’ll update to support Bluetooth LE." So that's good news for the future of Fire."

• Reply 123 of 225
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    tt92618 wrote: »

That's nonsense.  I'm pointing out that the lack of BT4 probably won't influence a significant number of consumers so as to sway their purchase decisions.

I also find it curious that they went with BT3, but I just don't think it will matter in the grand scheme.

Do you think 802.11ac is more necessary?

Here's a timeline from Apple for you. BT 4.0 was added in 2011 but 802.11ac was added in 2013.

But you're right, this won't matter in the grand scheme of things because this phone's lackluster HW at a premium price won't matter to people.
  • Reply 124 of 225
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member

Well, golly gee!  Thanks AI!!!

Now we won't even have to watch the commercials!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Amhran View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

So it's a glorified (and expensive) version of their craptastic Kindle Fire, optimized for the only real intent of getting you to buy more stuff from Amazon.  Great

I gotta disagree with you just a tad. I have a Fire and it's not a bad tablet. I primarily use mine for reading and a little light web surfing. It's certainly not on par with the iPad but all-in-all it's really not a bad little tablet.

You've pretty much made your Fire tablet sound like a glorified (and expensive) Kindle!

• Reply 125 of 225
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,122member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tt92618 View Post

Go back and re-read - there are plenty.

No there is not.  

• Reply 126 of 225
    Has some interesting features, but...

The tilt to scroll feature... every time I move my hand around things
    will start scrolling all over? You're forced to keep your hand perfectly
    still at all times? Sounds frustrating to me.
  • Reply 127 of 225
    Quote:

whine...whine..whine... hissy-fit

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Not a single post in this thread even vaguely approximates your post. Instead of being so concerned about falsely (and trollishly) predicting people's responses in this thread, why don't you provide your own analysis of the product? That would require you to string together a couple coherent thoughts. 

Nah... what folks of his ilk will just do is throw a bunch of crap on the wall in the hopes something sticks.

• Reply 128 of 225

it looks like they already plan to release an update for 4.0 compatibility: http://mashable.com/2014/06/18/amazon-fire-phone-bluetooth/

So it is a software issue, not hardware.

That definitely makes Amazon look more intelligent and I'm glad that when they announce they are poised to release (more vendors should do this) but that's not an auspicious start.
  • Reply 129 of 225
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

How do they get developers to develop for their platform when they never announce sales or activation figures? In the presentation Bezos displayed a chart showing steady growth in Prime membership but the slide included no numbers whatsoever.

I'm only guessing... but it would not surprise me if Amazon has paid a bunch of app shops to specifically develop a bunch of apps, and have them sign an NDA to never mention how Amazon bribed contracted with them.

• Reply 130 of 225
    Has some interesting features, but...

The tilt to scroll feature... every time I move my hand around things
    will start scrolling all over? You're forced to keep your hand perfectly
    still at all times? Sounds frustrating to me.

I have to assume the SW is smarter than that.
  • Reply 131 of 225
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Nah... what folks of his ilk will just do is throw a bunch of crap on the wall in the hopes something sticks.

As opposed to making over-generalized statements that demean people and that dismiss their views without offering a single counterpoint, eh?

Wait, whose 'ilk' were we talking about here?

• Reply 132 of 225
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    Quote:

That definitely makes Amazon look more intelligent and I'm glad that when they announce they are poised to release (more vendors should do this) but that's not an auspicious start.

No, but Apple's had those too,

didn't they update iOS 7.0 in about a day? 

And a similar event with an ATV upgrade,

just to name two.

• Reply 133 of 225
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    Applause to Bezos. Great for Prime addicts.

Cook/Ive really need to bring it this Aug/Sept in the post Steve era and not just with a larger screen and iOs8.
    Beats steaming music should come free. All $3Billion worth.
  • Reply 134 of 225
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    pazuzu wrote: »
    Applause to Bezos. Great for Prime addicts.

Cook/Ive really need to bring it this Aug/Sept in the post Steve era and not just with a larger screen and iOs8.
    Beats steaming music should come free. All $3Billion worth.
    Bring it how so? Did Apple not "bring it" at WWDC? The only think I'd like to see in the "bring it" category is 32/64/128 GB storage options at current prices. I know that's a long shot and the best we'll probably get is a 128GB addition to the iPhone lineup.
  • Reply 135 of 225
    boredumb wrote: »
    No, but Apple's had those too,
    didn't they update iOS 7.0 in about a day? 
    And a similar event with an ATV upgrade,
    just to name two.

I can't figure out what you're saying.
  • Reply 136 of 225
    Quote:

Originally Posted by boredumb View Post

Well, golly gee!  Thanks AI!!!

Now we won't even have to watch the commercials!

You've pretty much made your Fire tablet sound like a glorified (and expensive) Kindle!

I wasn't going to say anything.  He kind of validated my original post. :)

• Reply 137 of 225
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TeaEarleGreyHot View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Danox View Post

Orange county? doesn't Amazon have a software development wing located in Orange county California? which means you probably work there by the tone of your comments.

Danox, there are Orange Counties in several states, including Florida, New York, and Indiana.  And any Micky-Mouse troll can claim to be from any one of them.

a2z Amazon smartphone, tablet and gaming technology unit in the Spectrum. Just so happens the zip code is 92618, same as his screen name.

40 Pacifica 2nd, 3rd, 11th and 14th floors of the building.

• Reply 138 of 225
    Quote:

As opposed to making over-generalized statements that demean people and that dismiss their views without offering a single counterpoint, eh?

You, troll boy.  

• Reply 139 of 225
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    sflocal wrote: »

I'm only guessing... but it would not surprise me if Amazon has paid a bunch of app shops to specifically develop a bunch of apps, and have them sign an NDA to never mention how Amazon bribed contracted with them.
    Apple bribed contracted Microsoft to make Office for Mac back in 1997. You do what you need to do to keep business rolling.
  • Reply 140 of 225

Working over time to quell the apothetic reception of an Amazon phone in an Apple blog today I see?