Alleged 4.7" front panel for Apple's 'iPhone 6' handled on camera to show one-handed use

Comments

• Reply 41 of 138
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Jume View Post

Why does the home button still need to be so big? it could be smaller and thus the lower and upper space off the screen could be tighten up and the phone would physically be much smaller... They could easily get 1/2 inch if they did that...

Good point.  The iPod Touch's home button is smaller- why can't the iPhone's?  Although, the touch ID on my 5s does appear smaller vs my old 5, but I think its an optical illusion because of the bezel

• Reply 42 of 138
    lorin schultzlorin schultz Posts: 2,771member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

[...] Unless you're left handed of course, but then you're used to the world screwing you.

That made me LOL (Laugh Out Left)!

• Reply 43 of 138
    Quote:

Originally Posted by LarryMagoo View Post

Have you seen how silly it looks to hold a Phablet to your ear???

1. I use the earbuds for voice calls so I don't hold the phone to my ear anyway.

2. I don't care what anyone else thinks. Laugh it up. If I get the benefits of a larger screen and you get a chuckle out of it, everyone wins.

Besides, it won't be long before people are used to it and it won't look unusual anymore.

• Reply 44 of 138
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Lorin Schultz View Post

1. I use the earbuds for voice calls so I don't hold the phone to my ear anyway.

Apple will probably use this angle to justify the larger screen. I think we'll see redesigned wireless EarPods this year bundled with the new bigger screen phones.

These new EarPods will also be valuable when interacting with the rumored iWatch.

• Reply 45 of 138
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,323moderator
    blackbook wrote: »
    freediverx wrote: »

A recent RBC Capital Markets survey of 705 would-be iPhone buyers showed 64% wanting the next iPhone model even if it's bigger, but only 26% were interested in one with a 5.5" display.

Sorry for the convoluted way I stated this, but that's the result of the flawed and leading way RBC presented the question to survey participants.

It surprises me more people are interested in a "free" 5C than a $99 5S. 

That's because there isn't, these are just more bogus surveys. Even Apple said demand for the 5S was far higher than the 5C. The iPhone 5S according to analysts outsold the 5C by 3:1 or so. The surveys are clearly not representing people actually making a buying decision but making responses to the options they see on the paper where they are reacting to the comparison factors of free vs $99. The participants might not even know what the differences are between the phones.

If you put out a survey and asked if people wanted a convertible laptop with touch input vs a standard laptop at the same price, what would the expected reaction be? From the description, you're getting more features for the same price so more people would vote for the convertible laptop. Would that automatically be something Apple should make? No, they make products based on what they feel is right for the user experience.
  • Reply 46 of 138

Unfortunately for anyone trying to glean information about size preferences from the survey, it ties size to price. It's asking participants if they would be willing to pay more for a larger screen. That will skew the results, because some people might actually PREFER a larger screen, but aren't willing to pay $200 more to get one.

• Reply 47 of 138
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

I think... The line up will be (prices are with 2yr contract / and without)...

iPhone 6: 4.7" (A8, 32GB) $299 / $750

iPhone 6: 4" (A8, 32GB) $199 / $650

iPhone 6c: 4.7" (A7, 16GB) $199 / $650

iPhone 6c: 4" (A7, 16GB) $99 / $550

iPhone 5c: 4" (A6, 8GB) $0 / $350

Yes, I'm going to will the 5.5" iPhone out of existence, even though it doesn't really exist yet. ;-)

If there isn't a 128GB version of the 4.7", I'd be shocked and disappointed.

• Reply 48 of 138
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Offering a phone with 8GB storage these days is laughable. Heck Apple should get rid of 16GB and have 32/64/128 configuration at current prices. Yeah the bean counters in Apple finance would probably get heartburn but I think they'd get over it once they saw the massive increase in sales.

What a ridiculous post.

The 'bean counters' at Apple have done reasonably well with iPhones over the years without your advice or condescension.

• Reply 49 of 138
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

If somebody needs more space, then no problem, you simply choose a model that has more space.

I get that and don't necessarily disagree, but $100 per bump? Holy Buttrape, Batman!

That pricing policy CAN backfire. I've skipped three generations and clung to my old iPhone 4, even paying the $169 "repair" fee twice, because I wanted a big screen and refused to pay top dollar for a device that wasn't what I want. Replacing it with an entry-level version of whatever was current at any given time meant sacrificing storage capacity, which for my needs is more important than processor speed. If the price of a more spacious model had been more reasonable, I *might* have just upgraded to something new in the meantime instead paying to repair the old one (which can't be making Apple any money since they just give me a new phone each time).

There's no need to explain all the complexities of cost-averaging and such, I get all that. I'm just saying my case is one example of how what SEEMS like a profitable pricing strategy may actually be a sales deterrent.

• Reply 50 of 138
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Quote:

Unfortunately for anyone trying to glean information about size preferences from the survey, it ties size to price. It's asking participants if they would be willing to pay more for a larger screen. That will skew the results, because some people might actually PREFER a larger screen, but aren't willing to pay $200 more to get one.

Which means the larger screens will be even more popular than in the survey.

• Reply 51 of 138
    inteliusqinteliusq Posts: 111member
    If Apple does come out with a larger 4.7" and 5.5" phone, Apple will give customers the option of choosing a 64 bit phone in three screen sizes, just as Apple offers a 64 bit iPad in two screen sizes.

Apple most likely will come out with a 64 bit 4.7" and 5.5" phone, while retaining the same technology in the smaller 4" iPhone 5S, and make the iPhone 5C the mid range phone, the iPhone 4S the lower end phone, and phase out the iPhone 4.

This is similar to Apple offering the same 64 Bit A7 chip in the smaller iPad mini Retina and the larger iPad Air Retina, while retaining the non-retina iPad mini with the Dual Core A5 chip, as the lower range iPad, and the original iPad Retina with the Dual Core A6X chip, as the mid range iPad, while they phased out the iPad 2.

What all of this means is that with the introduction of larger screened iPhones, Apple is going after the market that wants a screen larger than their current iPhone, while not abandoning its customers who prefer a smaller screened phone.
  • Reply 52 of 138
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member
    inteliusq wrote: »
    If Apple does come out with a larger 4.7" and 5.5" phone, Apple will give customers the option of choosing a 64 bit phone in three screen sizes, just as Apple offers a 64 bit iPad in two screen sizes.

Apple most likely will come out with a 64 bit 4.7" and 5.5" phone, while retaining the same technology in the smaller 4" iPhone 5S, and make the iPhone 5C the mid range phone, the iPhone 4S the lower end phone, and phase out the iPhone 4.

This is similar to Apple offering the same 64 Bit A7 chip in the smaller iPad mini Retina and the larger iPad Air Retina, while retaining the non-retina iPad mini with the Dual Core A5 chip, as the lower range iPad, and the original iPad Retina with the Dual Core A6X chip, as the mid range iPad, while they phased out the iPad 2.

What all of this means is that with the introduction of larger screened iPhones, Apple is going after the market that wants a screen larger than their current iPhone, while not abandoning its customers who prefer a smaller screened phone.

That makes no sense whatsoever.
  • Reply 53 of 138
    paul94544paul94544 Posts: 1,027member
    I'm going to try out the new screen sizes that are supposed to come.

My detemining fact will be if I can comfortable operate it with one hand. I have large hand and can currently stretch my tumb beyond the bezel on 5S. I absolutely need to use the phone with one hand so I can text my wife while at the same time jacking off with my other hand. She loves to get a blow by blow account by text and video. If I am forced to use two hands on the new phone that would be a showstopper and she would be pissed not being able to see me jackoff for her on facetime!
  • Reply 54 of 138
    Quote:

Originally Posted by aduzik View Post

If this picture is real, it looks like they might cover the entire top of the phone with glass instead of embedding it in the sides of the aluminum case.  ...

The two, top and bottom "U-shaped" pieces have been antennas since iPhone 4, and they have been the primary antennas since iPhone 4s (the other antennas being internal).  If they are now going to be glass as you say, then that would mean all the antennas are moving inside, which doesn't make a lot of sense to me.  If the ends are glass also, then there would seem to be no reason for the lines, they would just be glass caps on the ends.  

I think it seems obvious that the lines are exactly what they were on the previous models which is antenna "breaks."  The half-lozenge shaped pieces that surround the camera on the top are also still there and still likely to be glass "windows" that allow the signal of the internal antennas to leak out.  The fact that they look like metal is irrelevant given that Apple has used glass trackpads for years now that also look and feel exactly like aluminium.  

Occam's razor and the difficulty of changing major aspects of the design all the time would suggest that having the cell antenna as the bottom "U" and the WiFi antenna as the top "U" as well as having secondary internal radios that peek out through some kind of glass or crystalline "windows" in the enclosure is not only something they will stick to for the foreseeable future, but exactly what we are looking at now.  The arrangement is exactly the same as last year, with the exception of being rounded off.  There is no reason to suspect that because of the new rounded shape, that anything about this arrangement has actually changed.  

• Reply 55 of 138
    freediverxfreediverx Posts: 1,423member
    Quote:

2. I don't care what anyone else thinks. Laugh it up. If I get the benefits of a larger screen and you get a chuckle out of it, everyone wins.

Would you walk around in public wearing Google Glass?

• Reply 56 of 138
    Quote:

The survey was flawed on several levels, but the price difference was only $100 compared to a new model with a smaller screen. The $200 difference only appears when comparing to an old model. Apple does not target the same customer with "last year's model" as they do with their flagship.

Do you think Apple is going to split a new product line based on display size and not charge more for the larger model?

• Reply 57 of 138
    Quote:

I get that and don't necessarily disagree, but $100 per bump? Holy Buttrape, Batman!

Why a 32GB iPhone costs $100 more

http://www.imore.com/segmenting-based-storage-or-why-32gb-costs-100

• Reply 58 of 138

I see the specs and prices as follows (All with contract pricing):

• iPhone 6 Pro (5.5"): A8 Processor - 32GB/64GB/128GB - $299/$399/$499

• iPhone 6 (4.7"): A8 Processor - 16GB/32GB/64GB - $199/$299/$399

• iPhone 5S: A7 Processor - 16GB - $99

• iPhone 5C: A7 Processor - 16GB - $0

Now, if Apple wanted to really make a huge splash, and really make Android hurt:

• iPhone 6 Pro (5.5"): A8 Processor - 32GB/64GB/128GB - $199/$299/$399

• iPhone 6 (4.7"): A8 Processor - 32GB/64GB/128GB - $99/$199/$299

• iPhone 5S: A7 Processor -16GB - $0

The second setup would make sure that TouchID would become very prevalent very quickly. It would also make sure that Android has no way to compete with Apple's lineup at all.  The first solution, however, would be more of what Apple is like: conservative with their aggressiveness.

• Reply 59 of 138
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    apple ][ wrote: »
    I disagree. 16GB still remains a good choice of size for the lowest phone. I don't want Apple to be giving away extra space for free. And I also think that 8GB is acceptable for a third world phone.

If somebody needs more space, then no problem, you simply choose a model that has more space.
    So do you not think Apple should be giving software away for free? I'm sure Apple could still charge for OSX and iWork and people would pay for it. Apple has reduced prices on Macs. I'd love to know who decided that 16/32/64 with $100 price increments between each has to be around forever. As far as an 8GB phone being acceptable for the "third world", Apple introduced an 8GB 5C in Europe so basically you're equating Europe to the third world. ;)
  • Reply 60 of 138
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freediverx View Post

Would you walk around in public wearing Google Glass?

If Google Glass made it easier for me to accomplish what I do with my device (the way a big screen will), sure, why not? Given a choice between enhancing my own convenience/productivity/enjoyment or trying not to trigger some random stranger's opinion of what looks funny, I'll go with the former. I realize it's terribly inconsiderate of me not to accommodate the techno-fashionista's delicate sensibilities, but hopefully their shock and outrage will be offset by the status one commands through ownership of a respected flagship device.

Besides, once you're old, fat, and bald, the additional hit to one's appearance doesn't matter as much!