Samsung's latest Apple-targeting ad slams battery life, calls iPhone users 'wall huggers'

Comments

• Reply 61 of 328
    darryn lowedarryn lowe Posts: 250member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

They've simply taken a page from the "I'm a Mac, I'm a PC" ads.

I truly wish Apple's advertising would strap on a pair, instead of the atmospheric, feel-good, aimlessly repetitive efforts of late.

Actually THAT'S what makes Apple different.

Apple's ads shows Apple products being used. That makes people feel good and confident in the product. They want to do stuff and the ads show Apple products doing the things they want to do.

Apple's competitors don't show the products doing anything other than photos or they attack Apple which only gets Apple's name mentioned more than the actual company doing the advertising.

• Reply 62 of 328
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Oh Sammy, you're such a piece of shit company.

Maybe if your users actually use the phone..
  • Reply 63 of 328
    pspikespspikes Posts: 3member
    It's funny how tough it can be to achieve long battery life on devices that people actually like using a lot.
  • Reply 64 of 328
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by freediverx View Post

The Pontiac Aztec gets better fuel economy than a BMW M3.

Guess that automatically makes it the better and more desirable of the two.

Pontiac Aztec

19 city / 26 highway

BMW M3

14 city / 20 highway

I know which one Heisenberg would drive...

• Reply 65 of 328
    jd mbajd mba Posts: 38member
    QQ on this site in 3...2.....oops too late.
  • Reply 66 of 328
    rptrpt Posts: 175member

Well, the one thing I am really unhappy about with my iPhones is the battery life, particularly after I started downloading tickets and boarding passes.

After 10 years where battery life was a key performance and getting acceptable to the point that it was no longer a disaster to forget the charger on a business trip, Steve Jobs changed it all with his remark on introducing the iPhone: see how thin it is!. I would gladly have accepted the same thickness on my iPhone 5 as my 4, or more thickness, if I had got it all back as battery life! One day is ridiculous, particularly when I have to catch a plane at the end of that day and my boarding pass is in the passbook. And please don't tell me about the options, I know them, and I use them, but it is outrageous that in 2014 we have to do this to get around a design flaw!

• Reply 67 of 328
    gbenitezgbenitez Posts: 4member
    Apple's CEO can make low brow classless remarks about competition every time he gets on stage. The sheep %uD83D%uDC11 laugh and say how witty.. Samsung makes an actually funny ad and its desperate and insulting. Oh kids I don't own either company's product (I find Samsung products to plasticy for my taste) but after watching this year's WWDC I'll tell you from the outside looking in. Tim Cook made Apple look like the desperate I immature fools. Sorry.
  • Reply 68 of 328
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member

That's the kind of crap that backfires because nobody buys into because everybody needs to charge their battery away from home at times.

The only, and I mean only, thing I miss about my old Blackberry was the replaceable battery. I just preferred charging batteries separately, not my whole phone. That said, I still get a full day with my iPhone.

• Reply 69 of 328
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

They've simply taken a page from the "I'm a Mac, I'm a PC" ads.

I truly wish Apple's advertising would strap on a pair, instead of the atmospheric, feel-good, aimlessly repetitive efforts of late.

The main difference being Apple actually had enough of a pair to broadcast their "I'm a Mac" ads publicly on television and on their main website and on billboards, etc. rather than cower in the corner of their YouTube channel :)

Notice how Samsung has pulled back from broadcasting these style of ads on national TV. Probably because they realize they're making fun of problems their own customers struggle with or cost extra money to remedy. So they post videos on YouTube that bloggers will generate publicity for. These videos are mostly for getting other people to generate headlines that say "Samsung digs at Apple" or "...Galaxy superior to iPhone with XXXX".

• Reply 70 of 328
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Marvin wrote: »
    There shouldn't be any need for these then Samsung:

[images]

I wonder where the Apple charging stations are. This seems like another bout of insecurity from Samsung. Their S5 has flopped, they have no inspiration for future designs. Expect more cheap shots as they head downhill.

They did this with previous ads suggesting the iPhone was for older people and stats don't back that up either. When does it become libellous?

1) Those station look like they use NEMA connectors which makes that more for advertising and not stations specifically to charge your Samsung devices.

2) It become libelous when they say something that is blatantly false. All iPhones need to be charged and they can prove that someone has had a dead iPhone battery that needed charging in a public place. The Galaxy S5 will tell you the estimated max time remaining and the battery is user-replacable so that's all true. If they made some absolute statement that couldn't be proven as true and referred to specifically to the iPhone then it would be an issue.

3) This might be the first time a Galaxy S-line has bested the iPhone is battery life.

700 700

4) This ad is weak. Anyone that thinks the iPhone's battery life, which has been leading the market of app phones since it debuted, or a replaceable battery are issues aren't likely to be Apple customers anyway. For an Android-based phone it's a good choice, even though I'd go for the Nexus or HTC if I was forced to use Android, but I don't see this attack add doing anything but reinforcing the irrationality of their consumer base. But maybe that's what they want to do as the 8th gen iPhone is approaching.
  • Reply 71 of 328
    maccherrymaccherry Posts: 924member
    Hey Sammy, Apple users just bought around 58 million iPhones in 3 months.
    Via wall huggers!
    And if that rumored iPhone air hits the streets all hell gonna break loose up in this bi**!
  • Reply 72 of 328
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,728member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

I recently had the great misfortune of discovering this is not correct. I just completed a contract in the high desert region of California where I couldn't get a reasonable signal which caused the phone to constantly search for a signal. As a result, my phone had to be charged twice daily.

Either or.  If you're in range of weak Wi-Fi networks and it keeps trying to discover and connect to them, then that'll drain power.  Same goes for weak 3G/LTE networks.  Basically any time it needs to power up the antenna (cell/Wi-Fi/Bluetooth) and search for a signal/connect, it'll drain power.

• Reply 73 of 328
    euphoniouseuphonious Posts: 303member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Only a fool would ever buy a Galaxy S5. Even the name is designed to fool ignorant people who might get it mixed up with a 5S

Alternatively, back in the real world of facts and logic, it's called the Galaxy S5 because it's the 5th phone in the Galaxy S line.

• Reply 74 of 328
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,422member
    can't argue with that - my iphone 5 drains pretty fast and i cannot figure out which app is responsible for it. I recharge twice a day at least. I read that iOS 8 will support a feature that lets you see how much power each app consume.
  • Reply 75 of 328
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    I don't think that's where you want to go, Samsung :p

My Samsung-loving friends are constantly without any phone at all because their battery is dead. They are always hauling (or forgetting!) car chargers, wall charges, cords, and external battery packs.

The latest iOS 7 has brought spells (a few days long before the problem goes away for a few weeks) where my iPhone drains faster than it used to. Apple should (and can) fix that.

But even on those worst days, I can keep my iPhone working all day without needing a charge. And as people have noted, an iPhone recharges really fast if it comes to that.

(Of course, any phone can run out if you do hours of 3D gaming, searching for a weak cell signal, and hours of video or audio conversation. So it's theoretically possible that my Samsung friends just use their phone more than I use mine. But I seldom see them use theirs since we hang out in the evening and their phone is dead. And I use my iPhone constantly--mainly for Internet stuff.)

Whatever phone you have, if you need heavy usage for extended times away from power, then a battery-case or the like is a good option.
  • Reply 76 of 328
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rcoleman1 View Post

I charge my iPhone 5S once every night and it lasts all day long, even after streaming music and watching videos. Once you know how to adjust the settings it's battery power is more than adequate for the average consumer. Once again Samsung is praying on the uneducated iPhone user. :no:

I don't think so. A non-power user ("uneducated" as you said) probably gets a couple days out of a charge on their iPhone because by definition they are not heavy users. This ad is directed at people who don't have an iPhone yet. It is not worth the cost of advertising to try to win iPhone users over to Samsung. Probably < 1% target market. All Samsung advertising is targeted at people who are considering buying their first iPhone.

• Reply 77 of 328
    greatrixgreatrix Posts: 95member
    What a strange love/hate relationship Samsung and Apple have. Samsung makes Apple products and at the same time slags Apple off. What an odd, topsy turvy world we live in.
    Apple's battery life is an issue, but it sounds as though the copy cat company's batteries are no better.
  • Reply 78 of 328
    Samsung remains proof that a mud-slinging match is a huge waste of resources. I would recommend that they devote their resources to improving their products, but the don't seem to have the common sense to be able to benefit from such advice.
  • Reply 79 of 328
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    netrox wrote: »
    can't argue with that - my iphone 5 drains pretty fast and i cannot figure out which app is responsible for it. I recharge twice a day at least. I read that iOS 8 will support a feature that lets you see how much power each app consume.

It's in Settings » General » Usage » Battery Usage. Over half my power usage is with iMessage, less than a 20% with Safari, and the rest for everything else.
  • Reply 80 of 328
    elehcdnelehcdn Posts: 388member

Thank you Samsung for providing us chargers so that we can surf and top off our iDevices while we are sitting in airports waiting. Hopefully, your users don't run their Samsung devices down to nothing, only to pull out their extra battery and remember that they forgot to charge it.

btw, since I am using multiple portable devices (phone, tablet, bt headphones), I went out and bought a single USB battery charger that can charge all my devices ... how many batteries would I have to buy and carry for my multiple devices?