Samsung's latest Apple-targeting ad slams battery life, calls iPhone users 'wall huggers'

Comments

• Reply 101 of 328
    emoeric87emoeric87 Posts: 72member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

That would be an incorrect and faulty conclusion to draw.

The Galaxy S5 is a bigger phone, it's much heavier and also has a larger battery.

(4 ounces for iPhone 5s VS 5.1 ounces for Galaxy S5)

It's also butt ugly, it runs the world's worst mobile OS, the world's least secure mobile OS, and on top of that it comes with TouchWiz, as if stock Android weren't bad enough to begin with. Any monkey can make a large sized phone that has more battery life than a smaller device. That doesn't take any "R&D" talent, all it takes is a larger battery.

Apple always destroys everybody else when it comes to battery life, when comparing comparable devices. Just wait until the Apple iPhone 5.5" comes out. Boy, is that thing going to destroy, humiliate and massacre everything else out there.

Only a fool would ever buy a Galaxy S5. Even the name is designed to fool ignorant people who might get it mixed up with a 5S. This pathetic act of propaganda and desperation from Samsung, which is masquerading as an ad, proves that they truly fear what Apple is going to be releasing soon.

Translation: Nuh, uh!

You'd have to actually test both phones under exactly the same conditions in order to either confirm or rebut the claims you're making.

"Ugly," "Propaganda," "Stupid-pants," or any other knee jerk may make you feel good to say, but don't actually answer the question your assertion poses.

• Reply 102 of 328
    tooltalktooltalk Posts: 766member

This ad is right on the money.  I was at Starbucks in SOHO, NYC, sitting next to a wall socket charging my MacBook last week. I was swarmed by iPhone users the whole three hours. Some even asked if they could use the USB ports on my MacBook to charge their iPhones -- I let them. Perhaps Android phones aren't very popular in this particular neighborhood -- there were a lot of tourists -- , but there was no Galaxy phone users asking for charging. 

• Reply 103 of 328
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,429member

Thanks for the clarification..... curious...  do you have Facebook notifications on? I am surprised at how little of batttery FB app uses. I don't understand why iMessage would use that much power... do you text all the time? Cannot wait to get iOS8. 

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

My apologies. I am referring to iOS 8. I should have prefaced my comment with the sentence "It is." to be more clear that I was backing up your comment.

It's been very buggy for me. In fact, I noticed that I had run out of nearly all my storage but the amount of used space in Settings didn't add up so last night I plugged it into iTunes and say that 70% of my device was used by Other which is typically used by the OS. I backed it up and then restored. I now have 60% of that space back. I assume we'll get the 3rd beta next Tuesday.

• Reply 104 of 328

I think you guys are missing the point of the commercial.  They are not targeting iPhone users.  They are targeting current android users who are use to the need for spare batteries and telling them that they will have a problem with the iPhone.  They are trying to keep those Android users who wanted a larger screen from moving to iPhone when a larger screen becomes available.

• Reply 105 of 328
    curtis hannahcurtis hannah Posts: 1,833member
    Why push lies, there devices suck on battery life and the carrying around 3 swappable batteries for a single iPhone charge.
  • Reply 106 of 328
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by auxio View Post

I'd rather have a USB charger pack than a spare battery because at least I can still use it when I get a new phone (and it works for other devices).  Bonus points for not having to duct tape my phone together after a couple of years because the battery slot has worn out.

Yup if you are a power user, seems like a battery pack/cases are a very valid alternative to having an excess battery slop around your pocket/purse/desk drawer etc 

• Reply 107 of 328
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tooltalk View Post

This ad is right on the money.  I was at Starbucks in SOHO, NYC, sitting next to a wall socket charging my MacBook last week. I was swarmed by iPhone users the whole three hours. Some even asked if they could use the USB ports on my MacBook to charge their iPhones -- I let them. Perhaps Android phones aren't very popular in this particular neighborhood -- there were a lot of tourists -- , but there was no Galaxy phone users asking for charging. 

And your anecdotal story has absolutely nothing to do with the amount of iPhones inside starbucks compared to Galaxy phones, right? It must be because Galaxy phones have a magical battery, right? All I see in starbucks is macbooks and iPhones/iPads. So yes, common sense would dictate that these are the devices that will be plugged in. 

• Reply 108 of 328
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    I think the problem with iPhones are that they're so good you end up using them for everything, all the time. The battery was designed for phone use, which is getting way dated, so it barely gets through a day on one charge if you're using it a lot, like I do. I guess Samsung phones don't get used to the same extent, thus saving battery? The iPad is designed for this, and has a great battery life. Chiming in with the add here I'm afraid. Better battery. Doesn't need to go slimmer.
  • Reply 109 of 328
    patpatpatpatpatpat Posts: 628member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

And your anecdotal story has absolutely nothing to do with the amount of iPhones inside starbucks compared to Galaxy phones, right? It must be because Galaxy phones have a magical battery, right? All I see in starbucks is macbooks and iPhones/iPads. So yes, common sense would dictate that these are the devices that will be plugged in. 

If they had fantastic battery life they wouldn't need to be plugged in, that's what the original poster was probably trying to get across.

• Reply 110 of 328
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

Ummm, I charge my iPhone once very day (sometimes every two days).

In fact, at work I get asked by a lot more people if we have a charger for their "big-ass" Samsung phone.

I keep an IOS charger at work and on compatible with the android phones, I get asked to use the droid one routinely. 

• Reply 111 of 328
    lkmdlkmd Posts: 9member
    This is why apple is selling more iPhones than Samsung. They lie. Their best sales strategy would be to eliminate returns which is killing the cell phone providers. I charge my iPhone 4s overnight and its good for 24 hours of HEAVY use.
  • Reply 112 of 328
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    patpatpat wrote: »
    If they had fantastic battery life they wouldn't need to be plugged in...

Fantastic battery life ? infinite battery life.
  • Reply 113 of 328
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    netrox wrote: »
    Thanks for the clarification..... curious...  do you have Facebook notifications on? I am surprised at how little of batttery FB app uses. I don't understand why iMessage would use that much power... do you text all the time? Cannot wait to get iOS8. 

I wouldn't say all the time but I do converse with multiple individuals and groups via iMessage very frequently. I have Facebook notifications turned on but that notification service is not run by the Facebook; it's part of the OS that will inform the app that you have a notification. I'm not even sure it wakes up the app to do that. The OS could just format the notification appropriately and then you can tap it to open the app in which it's associated.
  • Reply 114 of 328
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by patpatpat View Post

If they had fantastic battery life they wouldn't need to be plugged in, that's what the original poster was probably trying to get across.

If you look at the battery life charts that Soli posted earlier you will see that although Galaxy S5 does indeed surpass iPhone 5S, it is by a very small amount. The anecdotal evidence that only iPhone users were looking for a plug is not worth mentioning because the difference in battery performance is so negligible that all it indicates is that there are a lot of iPhone users in Starbucks. And, since the OP mentioned there were a lot of tourists, that could also explain iPhones needing to be charged. When you are traveling you tend to use more battery. And that was exactly the scenario depicted in the ad. I'm pretty sure without that extra battery the Samsungs would be hugging walls too. That is a single isolated case. For everyday use the iPhone charge is just fine. Plugging in during the day is not so inexcusable in heavy use situations. All that ad did was argue the point that airports should have more plugs. Recently, I have been seeing more outlets built into the seats at the gates, which is a good thing for all devices, iPads, MBP and iPhones.

• Reply 115 of 328
    mistercowmistercow Posts: 157member
    Apple was SEVERELY behind the PC in market share when those "Get a Mac" ads came out. Apple was the underdog.

On the other hand... Samsung is the largest smartphone manufacturer in the world. Why do they have to say anything about any other company?

It must really bother Samsung that people are willing to "suffer" with poor battery life to get all the other things iOS can offer.

Samsung could offer a phone with a week of battery life... but iOS has plenty to offer too.

Why does it matter if they were the underdog? I'll counter and say why does Apple have to talk about malware on Android when they're one of the largest smartphone manufacturers in the world.

It must really bother Apple that people are willing to choose Android and risk getting their identity stolen just to get all the things Android has to offer.
  • Reply 116 of 328
    atlappleatlapple Posts: 496member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Disagree on both the original post and your remarks as well. I don't think it is taking a page out of I'm a Mac, I'm a PC ads because in that case there was a legitimate and undisputed argument that PCs were awful and switching was the call to action. In the case of the iPhone it is also undeniable that they have the absolute best reputation of any brand and the Samsung ad is not about getting iPhone users to switch but more about keeping Android and Samsung users from switching to iPhone.

With regards, to Dre, perhaps if Apple continues to market the Beats brand after the acquisition then it would be entirely appropriate for Dre to make an ad. As far as putting him and his professional athletes in an iPhone or iPad ad, not so much. Apple's iOS target market is more aligned with business, arts and education, not hip hop.

I was commenting how much you see athletes wearing Dre products. When teens or even adults see their sports idols wearing Beats products they want to be like them. Perfect example Michael Jordan and the Air Jordan line has been around for decades. Shouldn't put athletes in the ads only Dre. Apple is showing all these people using the iPad and the iPhone in creative ways why not do the same with someone that is very creative and has star power?

Apple has tried to align with business and education for years and the impact has been limited. You don't see schools handing out iPads by the millions you hear about a few education systems using them. I have yet to see a doctor or medical professional using an iPad as a primary device. 

Apple has made it's mark by being "cool" and teens wanting what their friends have which is an iPhone or iPad. These devices as much  as some here would like are argue are mostly consumption devices. My daughter and her friends use their iPads for college work 20% of the time and 80% for consumption, even more so with the iPhone. 

The Mac/PC ads were simple Apple is cool and awesome and Windows isn't. Really simple and it worked. 

• Reply 117 of 328
    mistercowmistercow Posts: 157member
    magman1979 wrote: »
    This ad makes me giggle because of the reality Samsung would have us placed into vs what we currently have, allow me to elaborate...

Samsung World

Users must own a secondary battery, which they also must remember to charge, and whose lifespan is far below the charge cycle count of a typical iPhone 5S battery. When the battery hits rock bottom because Android is such a power-hungry turd, having to drive all those wasted pixels on 2HD or UHD screens, you then have to interrupt everything you're doing on the device, shut it down, fiddle with taking it apart in a public place in order to insert the second battery, then wait for the turd to restart (hoping it doesn't erase all your data on restart), only then to discover after the arduous reboot cycle, that you forgot to charge your secondary battery and have 5 minutes of juice remaining, then you go join your fellow pole hugging brethren at a Samsung charging station.

Apple Word

We already get great battery life thanks in part to the battery technology and well-optimized iOS, but for the times we really play hardcore on our devices, we go out and buy a mophie battery pack. When the time comes that our devices need some pick-me-up, we simply plug in a cable (or throw on an external case), and continue about our merry way, without having to take apart our device or restart it and skip a beat, or two, or three if your blood pressure beings to boil over after cracking the band-aid case of your S5 while opening it. Then we just walk right past the pole huggers at the Samsung station waving with a cheeky grin and exclaim "I'm going to the bar for a Gin".

Because there are no Mophie cases for Android, right?
  • Reply 118 of 328
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,968member
    Have never had to charge my iPhone in less than 24 hours. Most often I charge it every two days. Granted, I am retired and not constantly texting, playing games, surfing the internet, or checking email, but the phone is never turned off. And I do a some all of those things several times a day. Battery life has never benn an issue for me, and I've owned every model ever made.

Wish Apple would confront Samsung head on. Back to the days of "I'm a Mac. And I'm a PC."
  • Reply 119 of 328
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    mistercow wrote: »
    If it was legitimate and undeniable that PCs were awful,no one would buy them. So no, there's no difference in the ads.

Um no. People are cheap and hate change. They are used to bsod and viruses and crashes.
    tooltalk wrote: »

If your anecdotal evidence "proves" Sammy's ads, wouldn't it also "prove" no one has Android phones then?
  • Reply 120 of 328
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,056member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeSmoke View Post

Well, I an Apple kind of person and most likely will continue that way. However, I do wish my iPhone could squeeze some more time out of a charge. I'm an avid cyclist and use GPS tracking for longer rides. It will last about 6 hours, but I realize GPS is putting a pretty heavy hit on power. So I take along a USB power pack. No problem.

There's a bicycle charger for iPhone too.