Adoption of Apple's iOS 7 hits 90% ahead of next-gen iOS 8 release

13

Comments

  • Reply 41 of 64
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,399member
    Originally Posted by Riss View Post

    I did choose not to upgrade.

     

    So enjoy not being able to get new software.

     

     You can argue yourself to death but I didn't see anything in iOS7 that would add functionality to what I use my devices for. 


     

    Good for you. That’s a completely different argument than you made before.

  • Reply 42 of 64
    mx14mx14 Posts: 3member
    After being available for ten months, Apple's iOS 7 is still growing and is now running on 90 percent of iPhones, iPads and iPods visiting the App Store, up from 87 percent in April.

    <div align="center"><img src=http://photos.appleinsidercdn.com/gallery/9882-1833-140714-iOS7_Adoption-l.png alt="" />
    <span class="minor2 small gray">Source: <a href="http://www.apple.com">Apple</a></span></div>

    In an update to its <a href="https://developer.apple.com/support/appstore/">developer webpage</a>, Apple revealed 90 percent of devices visiting the iOS App Store over the seven-day period ending on July 13 were running a version of the latest iOS 7 mobile operating system.

    The figures compare positively to results <a href="http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/04/07/apples-ios-7-reaches-87-adoption-still-growing-faster-than-android-44-kitkat">from April</a>, with the uptick from 87 percent representing gains of about one percent per month.

    The boost in iOS 7 adoption came at the expense of devices running Apple's last-generation iOS 6, the share of which dropped from 11 percent to 9 percent. As with April's results, iOS versions equal to or older than iOS 5 accounted for two percent of total devices in use.

    While iOS 7's adoption rate has slowed since December, which saw 78 percent of active iPhones, iPads and iPods using the "flattened" OS, any growth is impressive considering the company is scheduled to release the <a href="http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/06/02/apple-unveils-ios-8-with-interactive-notifications-quicktype-keyboard-group-text-enhancements">next-generation iOS 8</a> this fall.

    The updated OS comes with a number of improvements as well as new additions like smart home support <a href="http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/06/20/first-look-siri-gains-smart-home-controls-with-homekit-in-ios-8">via HomeKit</a>, fitness framework <a href="http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/06/03/ios-8-first-look-video-apples-health-app-and-emergency-medical-id">HealthKit</a> and integrated Health app, <a href="http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/06/02/apple-opens-up-touch-id-to-third-party-app-developers">open APIs</a>, <a href="http://appleinsider.com/topic/Inside+App+Extensions">app extensions</a> and <a href="http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/06/02/apple-announces-os-x-1010-yosemite-with-new-interface-enhanced-apps-continuity">continuity features</a> that support high-level interaction with Apple's upcoming OS X 10.10 Yosemite.

    Apple is expected to debut iOS 8 alongside a redesigned iPhone lineup sometime in September with bigger 4.7-inch and 5.5-inch form factor handsets. According to KGI analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, the larger 5.5-inch version may <a href="http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/07/13/analyst-ming-chi-kuo-apples-55-inch-iphone-6-faces-production-issues-launch-may-be-pushed-to-2015">not be ready</a> to launch with the 4.7-inch variant due to complications with in-cell touch panels and the smartphones' metal casing.

    Kind of interesting that there is never any surveys that show how unhappy people are that have upgraded to iOS 7, don't you think?
    I actually just upgraded two of my mobile devices from iOS 6 to iOS 7 because some of the features in iOS 6 had been removed like FaceTime being one of them.
    Most people I talk to are not happy with iOS 7 and regret ever upgrading to it.
    I feel that I was basically forced into upgrading. I purchased my devices with iOS 6 on them. iOS 6 was optimized for those devices. IOS 7 isn't. Why should I be forced to upgrade to something I don't want and didn't pay for.
    iOS 7 It's very buggy and slower in, out and navigating around applications. I personally don't care about graphics. I just want it to work quickly and smoothly. iOS 7 is a step backwards in my eyes. I work outside in the sun and having these bright fluorescent or pastel colors makes it very difficult to see especially on a white background, not to mention everything seems a little bit thinner and smaller.
    I'm tired of being a guinea pig for Apple and that's why I am not an early adopter anymore. Currently on iOS 7.1 .2 and still the bugs have not been worked out. SMH.
    Being an Apple fanboy for 17 years now, working on OS 8 OS 9 and now OS X, it seems that as Apple is growing in size and popularity the quality is not.
  • Reply 43 of 64
    chiachia Posts: 694member
    riss wrote: »
    Continuity is new, Airdrop that actually works between Mac and iOS device is new.... but I'm happy with what I have. Why is it for you twats so difficult to comprehend that there are people who choose not to upgrade??

    You get your facts wrong and then call me a twat; maybe the truth hurts and you're lashing out at someone who has publicly shown you to be wrong.

    Yes, people are entitled to do what they want with their devices provided it doesn't harm others.

    Some people buy iPhones just to smash them up with a hammer or put them in a blender.

    Others choose not to upgrade, I'm fine and can live with all that.

    The fact is though, iOS 7 introduced some new features and capabilities, it wasn't just a bug and performance fix.

    Users have felt iOS 7 to be compelling enough to put on 90% of iOS devices.

    There's nothing wrong with being in the minority; you do miss out on the new features and capabilities.
    If you're happy with that then you're happy, nobody can take that away from you.

    There are aspects of iOS7 I don't like but on balance for me the benefits far outweigh the grumbles.

    Nothing is perfect in life.
  • Reply 44 of 64
    rissriss Posts: 40member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by ChiA View Post





    You get your facts wrong and then call me a twat; maybe the truth hurts and you're lashing out at someone who has publicly shown you to be wrong.



    Yes, people are entitled to do what they want with their devices provided it doesn't harm others.



    Some people buy iPhones just to smash them up with a hammer or put them in a blender.



    Others choose not to upgrade, I'm fine and can live with all that.



    The fact is though, iOS 7 introduced some new features and capabilities, it wasn't just a bug and performance fix.



    Users have felt iOS 7 to be compelling enough to put on 90% of iOS devices.



    There's nothing wrong with being in the minority; you do miss out on the new features and capabilities.

    If you're happy with that then you're happy, nobody can take that away from you.



    There are aspects of iOS7 I don't like but on balance for me the benefits far outweigh the grumbles.



    Nothing is perfect in life.

     

    Why would you need to argue this?? Don't you think I knew/know what I'm doing with my devices? I'm happy for those 90% percent of users that are on iOS7, but I didn't see value in it and choose not to update.

    I still have original jail broken iPhone 16GB (that works and I do use it), girlfriend had 3GS, first iPad 3G, now 4s and iPad 4G - I went through quite a number of iOS releases and I just started questioning the need to update unless there's an urgent need for it.... there are few apps on my list that work only with iOS7 and I know I will upgrade my phone in near future to get them. However I'm certain that if there was a way to downgrade down to iOS6, those numbers wouldn't be as high as they are. 

  • Reply 45 of 64
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,399member
    PEOPLE DON’T STAY ON IOS 6 BECAUSE THEY WANT TO.
    Bit of a generalization isn't it?

    I stayed on iOS 6 intentionally. Until Apple forced me to upgrade by making FaceTime incompatible with users who had upgraded. No wonder the percentage of upgraded users is so high.

    With an iPhone 4s I had several reasons:

    With more system animations I figured why overtax my limited processor? My 4s is sluggish by comparison now.
    Aesthetically I am not impressed. I find iOS 7 garish and often confusing.
    Adoption time: iOS 6 was working perfectly, but upgrading to iOS took time to figure out how to do things again, often with things that worked fine the way they were seemingly changed for no other purpose than to change them. Software bugs and incompatibilities, also caused a fair amount of downtime.
    Perceived lack of features to compel and upgrade -- with the exception of control panel, I don't really feel I have benefitted from any of iOS 7s features. And certainly control panel was not worth the speed hit for me.

    In short, I would have been perfectly happy running iOS 6 until I upgraded my phone. I do realize the need to upgrade and move forward in the ecosystem. Sadly Apple forced me into upgrading because FaceTime is one Apple product I do use, in fact it's a signature product many people buy the iPhone for. And I was forced into upgrading at the least desirable time for me in my hectic schedule, when there was absolutely no other reason to upgrade.
  • Reply 46 of 64
    mx14mx14 Posts: 3member
    Yep, you certainly act like one. PEOPLE DON’T STAY ON IOS 6 BECAUSE THEY WANT TO.

    If you had any substantiation for your claims, you would have posted it. I am calling out your lack of substantiation. Get over it or post it.

    I’d love to see you prove that iOS 7 had no new features. That’s a riot, kid.
    This person is sticking with iOS 6 on the remaining devices that haven't had iOS 7 installed on them BECAUSE I WANT TO. Also I'm pretty sure that I'm not the only one.
  • Reply 47 of 64
    kent909kent909 Posts: 708member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

     

     

    Same for Android. Any other ideas?

     

     

     


    It is not the same for Android. Google would like it to be and they are trying, but it is not true.

     

    http://www.ubergizmo.com/2014/02/leaked-google-memo-dictates-new-android-phones-must-run-kitkat/

  • Reply 48 of 64
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by bugsnw View Post

     

    Every time iOS receives a facelift, there are the rabid posters who claim they are going to buy Dells and Androids and burn their Apple gear. Why? Because of such extreme changes as an OS font change. Or...messages has a new Send button. It's crazy. Then I read that 90%+ are converted less than a year later. Obviously these haters don't actually do what they say they are going to do and probably secretly adapt and love the new changes.......


    Bingo! Well said Bugs.

     

    I like ur line, "...b/c of a font change." :)

  • Reply 49 of 64
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Bingo! Well said Bugs.

    I like ur line, "...b/c of a font change." :)

    Apple should break us into a new font gradually. First by gradually changing consonants and then, finally, after about 5 years change the vowels. Anything else is just ridiculous¡
  • Reply 50 of 64
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post



    1) Are there still any concern trolls left saying they (and everyone they know) is refusing to update to iOS 7?

     

    You aren't concerned about trolls which keep saying here and there that they (and everyone they know) has updated to iOS 7?

  • Reply 51 of 64
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post





    Apple should break us into a new font gradually. First by gradually changing consonants and then, finally, after about 5 years change the vowels. Anything else is just ridiculous¡

    I like it, Solip! Great idea....  :)

  • Reply 52 of 64
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    bao babus wrote: »
    You aren't concerned about trolls which keep saying here and there that they (and everyone they know) has updated to iOS 7?

    With 90% of active iDevices on iOS 7 do you think the average person knows a lot of people not on iOS 7? I definitely know more people using KitKat than an earlier versions of iOS 6 or earlier.
  • Reply 53 of 64
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,115member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Riss View Post

     

     

    iPhone 4s & iPad 4G 128GB and happy being on iOS6 with both devices... that dip in iOS6 install base could be easily just shrinking overall share of iOS6 to total base as new devices come only with iOS7. In absolute figures iOS6 users didn't have any reason to move, no new features were added in iOS7, just bug and performance fixes. I'd be surprised if someone bothered to normalise those figures before releasing them - my guess is they didn't.


     

    It's actually the complete opposite- iOS7 added a shitload of new features, while introducing many new bugs and lowering performance on most devices (at least 7.0, 7.1 improved things somewhat). But yeah, maybe in your bizzaro-world, the opposite is the case, somehow. 

  • Reply 54 of 64
    rissriss Posts: 40member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

     

     

    It's actually the complete opposite- iOS7 added a shitload of new features, while introducing many new bugs and lowering performance on most devices (at least 7.0, 7.1 improved things somewhat). But yeah, maybe in your bizzaro-world, the opposite is the case, somehow. 


     

    if you understand how to correctly compare two samples over period of time then tell me I wrote something wrong - there's little incentive for those who stayed on iOS6 to move to iOS7 now, so my premise was that iOS7 % grows because of new sales and of course iOS6 will shrink because the total is now larger than 6 months ago - not sure what you don't/can't comprehend... but yeah, let's throw some bizzaro trash around just because someone has different opinion

  • Reply 55 of 64
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,399member
    Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

    Bit of a generalization isn't it?

     

    With 92% adoption of NOT iOS 6, no.

     

    Until Apple forced me to upgrade by making FaceTime incompatible with users who had upgraded. No wonder the percentage of upgraded users is so high.


     

    Yeah, no, that’s not at all a valid conclusion.

     

    And I was forced into upgrading...


     

    Inigo Montoya.mp3

     

    Originally Posted by kent909 View Post

    It is not the same for Android. Google would like it to be and they are trying, but it is not true.

     

    But Android’s free and a single click (or three) to download.

     

    Originally Posted by Riss View Post

    but yeah, let's throw some bizzaro trash around just because someone has different opinion



    STOP PRETENDING THIS IS A MATTER OF OPINION. You LIED about iOS 7, and now multiple people have called you out on it.

  • Reply 56 of 64
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    riss wrote: »
    if you understand how to correctly compare two samples over period of time then tell me I wrote something wrong - there's little incentive for those who stayed on iOS6 to move to iOS7 now, so my premise was that iOS7 % grows because of new sales and of course iOS6 will shrink because the total is now larger than 6 months ago - not sure what you don't/can't comprehend... but yeah, let's throw some bizzaro trash around just because someone has different opinion

    You think that devices being sold with iOS 7 in the last 9 months are going to outweigh the installed base for all previous iDevices by a factor of 9? Come on, son!

    The only way those numbers work is because most people have upgraded to iOS 7.

    PS: Weren't the trolls mocking Apple because iPhone and iPad sales aren't growing as fast as before?
  • Reply 57 of 64
    rissriss Posts: 40member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post





    You think that devices being sold with iOS 7 in the last 9 months are going to outweigh the installed base for all previous iDevices by a factor of 9? Come on, son!



    The only way those numbers work is because most people have upgraded to iOS 7.



    PS: Weren't the trolls mocking Apple because iPhone and iPad sales aren't growing as fast as before?

    no grandpa, that's not what I said - I said that the decline in iOS 6 % could be likely driven not by further upgrades from iOS 6 -> iOS 7 but if the total base of iOS devices grew and it increased iOS 7 share, the iOS 6 share obviously decreased (even though if in absolute figures stayed more or less same)... in order to compare apples with apples you need to normalise these samples, if you don't, it's not statistically correct, although it still shows the same trend which is a valid point compared to adoption/usage of Android OS releases 

     

    just my 2 cents & last post here

  • Reply 58 of 64
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    riss wrote: »
    no grandpa, that's not what I said - I said that the decline in iOS 6 % could be likely driven not by further upgrades from iOS 6 -> iOS 7 but if the total base of iOS devices grew and it increased iOS 7 share, the iOS 6 share obviously decreased (even though if in absolute figures stayed more or less same)... in order to compare apples with apples you need to normalise these samples, if you don't, it's not statistically correct, although it still shows the same trend which is a valid point compared to adoption/usage of Android OS releases 

    just my 2 cents & last post here

    As I stated, it's unreasonable to suggest that iDevice sales grew by a factor of 9 to account for the 90% compared to less than 10% for iOS 6. It's also silly to say that you shouldn't count any device sold in the last 3/4 of a year when the anti-Apple argument is that everyone hates iOS 7 so much that they aren't upgrading; if that was the case iDevice sales would have continually dropped off.


    PS: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ed_Lover#C.E2.80.99mon.2C_Son.21
  • Reply 59 of 64
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,399member
    Originally Posted by Riss View Post

    ...the decline in iOS 6 % could be likely driven not by further upgrades from iOS 6 -> iOS 7...

     

    Because everyone is already there.

  • Reply 60 of 64
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 12,976member
    solipsismx wrote: »

    I wonder if that's where ESPN got the idea for "c'mon man" in the Monday Night Football pregame show.
Sign In or Register to comment.