Google and Samsung escalate hostilities over watches, Tizen and Android's openness

Comments

• Reply 21 of 141
    tommcintommcin Posts: 108member
    Nothing beats watching a p*ss*ng contest between skunks.
  • Reply 22 of 141
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,960member
    Oh, Google. Karma's a bitch, isn't it. Once again the "walled garden" doesn't look so "evil," does it? Hope Steve can enjoy this from somewhere.
  • Reply 23 of 141
    The tears are streaming from my eyes. To think that Google got stung by the biggest commie crooks in the world is just too much wrap my head around! Well, the tears have stopped, but I'm still laughing my a%u03DF%u03DF off!
  • Reply 24 of 141
    It's pretty Plain and simple what's good for the goose will be good for the gander rather GOOGLE likes it or not. When Google felt it was okay to buy Motorola against their business partners they did so and didn't care what people thought big bad Google was able to do as it wanted.

Now they want to try to tell another cooperation what they should do and how they should profit I'd tell Google to go piss on themselves business is business Google better worry about what's best for them.

Samsung didn't fear Apple stood up to them so easily it was comical and they will easily stand up to Google as well. At the end of the day GOOGLE won't push to hard cause SAMSUNG is Android they own the 70%market share of the entire android platform, They own the Worldwide market share, and 70%of the Smartwatch industry as well.

7 out of 10 Android devices purchased are Galaxy products nothing else matters to Android users today. Samsung has the highest retention of customers throughout any Android manufacturer today Google won't be worth Diddly squat without Samsung.

Let Google crossover the line and find out how vacant the android platform would be without Samsung cause every user of Samsung's products would gladly leave Android/Google.
  • Reply 25 of 141
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,341member

Race to bottom.

If Samsung can't gain control of its own destiny, i.e., an OS, then they get squeezed from the top by Apple and eaten from the bottom by Chinese OEM's. I'm speculating that it is too late for Samsung to abandon the Open Handset Alliance, of which they and Google seem to be the only money making entities.

It's all downhill.

Google has done about as poor a job as can be imagined in creating a profitable environment for the OEM's other than Samsung, and a stable environment for developers, and I can't imagine that the future will be much more than various forks in the third world and a clone of Apple's model everywhere else, i.e., full Google control of the hardware and software and less Android marketshare.

These two deserve each other.

• Reply 26 of 141
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,843moderator

What's that you say, Mr. Page?  The company you partnered with to rip off Apple is now ripping you off?  Who would have imagined such an outcome?

• Reply 27 of 141
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Anyone who thinks that Tizen is a serious competitor to Android shouldn't be commentating on the smartphone industry. It's a mess that has been passed down from company to company and abandoned repeatedly.
  • Reply 28 of 141
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    richl wrote: »
    Anyone who thinks that Tizen is a serious competitor to Android shouldn't be commentating on the smartphone industry. It's a mess that has been passed down from company to company and abandoned repeatedly.

I thought we were talking about wearables.
  • Reply 29 of 141

Nah, They deserve each other. I hope Samsung dumps Scroogle and uses Tizen and then I get to sit back and laugh at Google being the bully, police, gatekeeper or whatever they call themselves nowadays.

Google and Samsung have both admitted the OS is plagued with malware and the likes. NOBODY can ever prove to me that Android is safe for the Enterprise customer.

• Reply 30 of 141
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    The tears are streaming from my eyes. To think that Google got stung by the biggest commie crooks in the world is just too much wrap my head around! Well, the tears have stopped, but I'm still laughing my a%u03DF%u03DF off!

SK isn't communist. However you did get the crooks part right.

Who has more power? Googs or Sammy? I hope Sammy drops android and see both companies implode in mobile.
  • Reply 31 of 141
    chipsychipsy Posts: 287member
    What is Samsung going to do? Launch a new platform that doesn't have any apps? Of course it won't. I wouldn't be surprised if Samsung attempts to separate itself from Google, but we all know it will be to no avail. And FYI although DED likes to stress this on almost every occasion it has nothing to do with openness. As Android AOSP is 100% open (for which Kindle is a perfect example) and available to anyone. Just not Google Services.
  • Reply 32 of 141
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Neither Google nor Samsung is angel and we don't have to be sympathetic to either. Both wants to grow their business much as possible and play cat and mouse game to further their strategic advantage and world dominance in mobile area. Android has grown to so powerful that Samsung or any android phone makers will not be able to get out of the black-hole trap that Google has created with free android OS license. Only way to keep Google in-line is Android phone manufacturers create alliance for another open source mobile OS where no one has control but everyone contributes and uses. That includes large open source developers like XDA.
  • Reply 33 of 141
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member

Neither Google nor Samsung is angel and we don't have to be sympathetic to either. Both wants to grow their business much as possible and play cat and mouse game to further their strategic advantage and world dominance in mobile area. Android has grown to so powerful that Samsung or any android phone makers will not be able to get out of the black-hole trap that Google has created with free android OS license. Only way to keep Google in-line is Android phone manufacturers create alliance for another open source mobile OS where no one has control but everyone contributes and uses. That includes large open source developers like XDA.

• Reply 34 of 141
    yojimbo007yojimbo007 Posts: 1,165member
    Hell with them both!
  • Reply 35 of 141
    formosaformosa Posts: 261member

Samsung desperately wants to be like Apple, so Tizen helps them go vertical, especially when Tizen migrates to smartphones.

Samsung is also ruthless, more so than Google (http://www.vanityfair.com/business/2014/06/apple-samsung-smartphone-patent-war). Samsung may temporarily capitulate to Google but will gestate Tizen till it's ready.

• Reply 36 of 141
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    You must have skipped right over post 7 preceding yours.

I've never trusted Samsung, nor thought Apple fans were wrong to distrust them either.

You have never posted in support of Scamsung in any situation where they were in an adversarial position to Apple? I must apologize then, I could have sworn you had on many occasions.
  • Reply 37 of 141
    tmay wrote: »
    Race to bottom.

If Samsung can't gain control of its own destiny, i.e., an OS, then they get squeezed from the top by Apple and eaten from the bottom by Chinese OEM's. I'm speculating that it is too late for Samsung to abandon the Open Handset Alliance, of which they and Google seem to be the only money making entities.

It's all downhill.

Google has done about as poor a job as can be imagined in creating a profitable environment for the OEM's other than Samsung, and a stable environment for developers, and I can't imagine that the future will be much more than various forks in the third world and a clone of Apple's model everywhere else, i.e., full Google control of the hardware and software and less Android marketshare.

These two deserve each other.

I agree but maybe Scamsung will buy Kia / Hyundai and have access to the massive number of Americans also buying Korean cars as well as phones and tablets. There seems to be a strangely large number of folks in the USA hell bent on making South Korea rich even when there are far better products from US companies.
  • Reply 38 of 141
    I agree but maybe Scamsung will buy Kia and have access to the massive number of Americans also buying Korean cars as well as phones and tablets. There seems to be a strangely large number of folks in the USA hell bent on making South Korea rich even when there are far better products from US companies.

1) Don't forget Hyundai and LG.

2) I bought a Hyundai. So far a good deal for the money.
  • Reply 39 of 141
    jungmark wrote: »
    SK isn't communist. However you did get the crooks part right.

Who has more power? Googs or Sammy? I hope Sammy drops android and see both companies implode in mobile.

Then Microsoft can step in with there great mobile OS ... oh wait a minute ... :D
  • Reply 40 of 141
    Then Microsoft can step in with there great mobile OS ... oh wait a minute ... :D

MS does have a good mobile OS. Not great on ecosystem but that's more a result of not being popular which they can't seem to do this late in the game because they aren't popular.