Samsung says iPhone 5s users have 'screen envy' of Galaxy S5 in latest ad

Comments

• Reply 41 of 105
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    jfc1138 wrote: »
    IIRC they've sold more 5Cs than Sam has sold S5's.....

The new Safari beta still sucks!

In any event I will laugh my ass off if Apple introduces a folding iPhone that gets by the brick in pocket problem. Right now I have no desire for such a large cell phone. In fact I'd rather see Apple introduce a Truelu powerful iPhine 4 sized phone. That is a 64 bit processor squished into an iPhine 4 sized case. That would be hot!
  • Reply 42 of 105
    Irony: Samsung makes those screens too.
  • Reply 43 of 105
    hillstones wrote: »
    Apple is the one that continually sues Samsung, not the other way around.  Apple needs to end their obsession and just let them make phones.  People are smart enough to decide which phone they want.  Apple gave up fighting Microsoft years ago, and now look at their relationship.  If Apple releases larger iPhones, then they would be jumping on the bandwagon that other phone manufacturers started years ago.  You cannot dispute that.  I am looking forward to a 4.7" model to replace my old iPhone 4S, but I would not want a 5.5" model; that is way too big.
    If apple doesn't stop using then Samsung won't stop stealing intellectual property and infringing upon it . It is apples right to sue, sumsung is just trying to make Apple users envious of Samsung, which may I note they are failing to do.
  • Reply 44 of 105
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

These ads aren't about winning new customers but keeping their current ones.

Secretary of Commerce: Yes, it's designed to bolster individual confidence in a previous domestic automobile purchase.

Dave: So we're spending 47 million dollars to make people feel better about a car they've already bought?

From the movie Dave.

• Reply 45 of 105
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,843moderator
    The subtext in this ad is that people would rather wait two years for something they really desire than to sacrifice on the many other aspects of their smartphone experience where Samsung is so obviously inferior.
  • Reply 46 of 105
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    jfc1138 wrote: »
    IIRC they've sold more 5Cs than Sam has sold S5's.....

The demand for the large cell phones isn't what people think it is! Im reqlly hoping Apple doesn't screw up here. The really need to introduce a small but powerful cell phone similar to the 4 series. Such a phone would really shake up the industry and be something Apple could uniquely promote.

The fact of the matter is that I've held onto my iPhone 4 simply to avoid the brick in pocket experience.

On the other hand if Aple introduces a
  • Reply 47 of 105
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    It's so true.  My iPhone 5 was amazingly cool when I got it, but it's looking so clunky and dated now.  They've really tapped into what a lot of Apple customers are asking - how much longer?  It's been difficult to ignore Samsung's progress with screens.

It appears that Apple continues to aim for groundbreaking but infrequent hardware updates.  For laptops and iPads, that's fine for me.  It will be interesting to see how that strategy plays out long-term in the ADHD phone market though.  If you have nothing new to talk about, you have nothing to talk about at all, and Apple really needs something to talk about right now.

Haha Dated? I never new cheap shitty plastic was "in". Apple doesn't have to talk since the 5S is outselling the Sammy.
    Apple is the one that continually sues Samsung, not the other way around.  Apple needs to end their obsession and just let them make phones.  People are smart enough to decide which phone they want.  Apple gave up fighting Microsoft years ago, and now look at their relationship.  If Apple releases larger iPhones, then they would be jumping on the bandwagon that other phone manufacturers started years ago.  You cannot dispute that.  I am looking forward to a 4.7" model to replace my old iPhone 4S, but I would not want a 5.5" model; that is way too big.

Sammy should stop stealing design ideas and come up with something original.
  • Reply 48 of 105
    fuzzypawsfuzzypaws Posts: 111member

As a tall guy with big hands, I'm looking forward to a bigger iPhone. All the same, they should still keep the 4" model around for shorter people with smaller hands. They have multiple sizes of iPods and iPads, so this would be no different.

I do think it's amazingly dumb for Samsung to be promoting their competitor's upcoming product like this. As was pointed out a couple times, they could talk about screen envy without actually giving away in the ad that Apple has bigger screens just a couple months away. XD

• Reply 49 of 105
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    rogifan wrote: »
    Oh Samsung are you pathetic....pathetically obsessed with Apple. Clearly they're freaked out about what's coming from Apple and how it will impact future Galaxy sales. Probably why we're hearing rumors of an all metal Galaxy phone coming out in the fall.

I really don't see Samsung's approach to advertising much different from Apple's own "Get a Mac" campaign. Both are presenting some truths but also hiding some half-truths and straight lies behind humour. I'm finding both equally easy to watch, though more amusing than inspiring.
  • Reply 50 of 105
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    wizard69 wrote: »
    In any event I will laugh my ass off if Apple introduces a folding iPhone that gets by the brick in pocket problem. Right now I have no desire for such a large cell phone. In fact I'd rather see Apple introduce a Truelu powerful iPhine 4 sized phone. That is a 64 bit processor squished into an iPhine 4 sized case. That would be hot!

That may not be a problem now. I'm all for a larger display on the iPhone but not a larger and heavier iPhone than I've used the past. Reducing the side bezels, chin and forehead, as well as the thickness, and rounding the edges could make this lighter and less volumistic than some previous iPhone models.
  • Reply 51 of 105
    It's so true.  My iPhone 5 was amazingly cool when I got it, but it's looking so clunky and dated now.  They've really tapped into what a lot of Apple customers are asking - how much longer?  It's been difficult to ignore Samsung's progress with screens.

It appears that Apple continues to aim for groundbreaking but infrequent hardware updates.  For laptops and iPads, that's fine for me.  It will be interesting to see how that strategy plays out long-term in the ADHD phone market though.  If you have nothing new to talk about, you have nothing to talk about at all, and Apple really needs something to talk about right now.

In two more day Apple will be talking about the billions they've earned... just after Samsung had cried in their beer over profits being off by 25%. I can't believe you can even say Apple has had nothing new to talk about. Apparently if it's not a micro-increment change in hardware every few weeks, a la Samsung, then it's nothing to you. And for some crazy reason you think Apple should ape Samsung's losing strategy?!

I have no idea how many high-end phones Samsung has released since Apple released their 5s and 5c, but all the whoop-de-doo and billions in advertising hasn't made a dent in the universe. The hoary old Apple 5s AND the 5c are individually still outselling the squeaky new S5.
  • Reply 52 of 105
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member

Well... I have to use an S4 as my work phone. Its not that bad... sorry. If I started anew, not sure which I get. Hate the bloat ware on android phones, but Google services are pretty good.

Will I switch, no. I like(and am tied into) the no muss no fuss Apple ecosphere (although iOS starting to get a tad bloated IMO). 

• Reply 53 of 105
    ronmgronmg Posts: 163member

The age old idiotic reply about suing. Apple is WINNING the lawsuits. $1 Billion and counting. And suing Samdung weakens them and makes them think twice about copying. A win win for Apple. Get over it.
  • Reply 54 of 105
    It will be interesting to see how that strategy plays out long-term in the ADHD phone market though.

If you could have paid attention for longer — squirrel! — you would see that your issues with ADHD may be common among users of Android, where longterm updates are rare, but not among iPhone users.
  • Reply 55 of 105
    All the money Samdung is spending on negative advertising could be used to make The Next Big Thing worth buying.....:lol:

Well if they could get it to run iOS.....;)
  • Reply 56 of 105

So Nicole Brown's family were the bad ones for suing OJ Simpson? :\
  • Reply 57 of 105
    foadfoad Posts: 717member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by leavingthebigG View Post

Rogifan,this time I agree with you 100%!

Samsung is promoting a rumor that Apple is coming out with a larger iPhone screen. The people who not aware of the rumors are being made aware of the rumors thanks to Samsung spending mucho money to promote the rumors. How stupid can this company get?

I completely agree that they are insane for promoting a rumor. On the other hand, I think if anyone doubted that a larger iPhone was coming, this pretty much seals the deal. It also will benefit Apple in the sense that the folks that might have not known about a larger iPhone on the horizon, now do and will probably wait. It's just bonkers to me.

• Reply 58 of 105
    yojimbo007yojimbo007 Posts: 1,165member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    These ads aren't about winning new customers but keeping their current ones.
    And fail miserably even at that !
  • Reply 59 of 105
    junkdrop1 wrote: »
    I wish Apple would come out with a SMALLER phone like the old Palm Pre - just to F* wit the industry.

Then we'd know for sure that all these other companies are just copy-cats.

G

They do make smaller screen phones, they simply choose to spec and market those as low-end products. Artificially equating premiumness with larger size. You can tell which trolls have bought into this conditioning pretty easily. (Hint: they automatically equate premiumness with large screens)
  • Reply 60 of 105
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,376member
    There are worse things in life...

Like Profit Envy

Integrity Envy

Leadership Envy

Sorry Samsung, but Big Textured Plastic Envy is not an enviable quality.