Samsung says iPhone 5s users have 'screen envy' of Galaxy S5 in latest ad

Comments

• Reply 61 of 105
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,010member

This ad is borderline embarrassing for Samsung, not to mention horribly mis-timed. If you wanted to point our your one differentiating feature, size, why would this ad have run over a year ago? With the new iPhone rumors rampant, you're just reminding people to wait.

This does nothing to keep existing customers; it gets them pumped to jump.

• Reply 62 of 105
    iaeeniaeen Posts: 588member
    It appears that Apple continues to aim for groundbreaking but infrequent hardware updates.  For laptops and iPads, that's fine for me.  It will be interesting to see how that strategy plays out long-term in the ADHD phone market though.  If you have nothing new to talk about, you have nothing to talk about at all, and Apple really needs something to talk about right now.

Yearly updates really aren't that infrequent considering many people are stuck in a two year contract anyway.

Currently, Apple has several months of dominating headlines strategically placed right before Christmas. You might argue that they should stagger different product releases, but there's a lot of evidence that shat they are doing now already works for them.

If updates become frequent enough that they start to run together, that doesn't really leave you with much to talk about either.

In any case, if Apple is really desperate for talking points (I'm not convinced they are), they are in luck! It's about to be new product season.
  • Reply 63 of 105
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    nikon133 wrote: »
    I really don't see Samsung's approach to advertising much different from Apple's own "Get a Mac" campaign. Both are presenting some truths but also hiding some half-truths and straight lies behind humour. I'm finding both equally easy to watch, though more amusing than inspiring.
    Yes, I'd agree that Sammy's campaigns are quite funny and succeed at poking fun at Apple. In fact I think it is a good thing that they do because it must bug the shit out of Apple and perversely that's probably a good thing. But the irony is that without Apple Samsung is still just a phones producer (and other consumer goods). Other than the humour of poking fun at Apple they offer little of substance.
  • Reply 64 of 105
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    iaeen wrote: »
    Yearly updates really aren't that infrequent considering many people are stuck in a two year contract anyway.

Currently, Apple has several months of dominating headlines strategically placed right before Christmas. You might argue that they should stagger different product releases, but there's a lot of evidence that shat they are doing now already works for them.

If updates become frequent enough that they start to run together, that doesn't really leave you with much to talk about either.

In any case, if Apple is really desperate for talking points (I'm not convinced they are), they are in luck! It's about to be new product season.

iPhone mindshare is focused that that even closing in a year after the flagship model was last released it continues to sell well. China Mobile's recent quarterly reports show that half of their 4G phones, about 5.5 million, were iPhones.
  • Reply 65 of 105
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    paxman wrote: »
    Yes, I'd agree that Sammy's campaigns are quite funny and succeed at poking fun at Apple. In fact I think it is a good thing that they do because it must bug the shit out of Apple and perversely that's probably a good thing. But the irony is that without Apple Samsung is still just a maker of phones (and other consumer goods). Other than the humour of poking fun at Apple they offer little of substance.

When Apple's competitors stop taking potshots at Apple is when I'll be worried for Apple's future because that will mean Apple's mindshare and position in the market is no longer seen as threatening.
  • Reply 66 of 105
    It's true. I really want an iPhone with a bigger screen. I'm not going to switch to Android just to have a bigger screen.
  • Reply 67 of 105
    woochiferwoochifer Posts: 385member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

Apple is the one that continually sues Samsung, not the other way around. 

Right, so those lawsuits against Apple using Samsung's standards-essential patents were filed by unicorns and leprechauns.

Quote:

Apple needs to end their obsession and just let them make phones.  

Someone robs my house, so I should just drop all charges and let them profit off of my property.

Quote:

People are smart enough to decide which phone they want.  

Yep, but Samsung should also be smart enough to come up with their own ideas that don't infringe on Apple's patents. In the cases decided so far, Samsung has lost, and pending appeals, they're on the hook for a ten-figure sum. They've already had to change the way they design their phones and apps, and the results have been mixed at best.

Quote:

Apple gave up fighting Microsoft years ago, and now look at their relationship.

Only because Apple had MS dead to rights on stealing QuickTime code. MS' subsequent settlement with a $150 million payment and commitment to produce updated versions of MS Office for Mac would not have occurred if Apple didn't have MS over a barrel. In Office, MS had something that Apple needed at that time. But, if not for the lawsuit, MS would have been otherwise content to let Apple rot and flail around with outdated productivity applications.

With the settlement terms expired, MS went back to their old shenanigans by gimping the more recent Mac versions of Office and disbanding the Mac business unit. The difference this time is that Apple no longer needs MS to survive, and is in position to use MS as a partner of convenience in their more recent proxy battles with Google.

• Reply 68 of 105
    WOW, maybe I should run down to Sprint and get that big screen Samsung 5s ........ NOT !!!!
  • Reply 69 of 105
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Seeing ads like this, I want to put a Samsung phone on the ground and sh!t on it...seriously
  • Reply 70 of 105
    woochiferwoochifer Posts: 385member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Yes, I'd agree that Sammy's campaigns are quite funny and succeed at poking fun at Apple. In fact I think it is a good thing that they do because it must bug the shit out of Apple and perversely that's probably a good thing. But the irony is that without Apple Samsung is still just a phones producer (and other consumer goods). Other than the humour of poking fun at Apple they offer little of substance.

Actually, the real irony is that these anti-Apple ads actually attack the majority of Samsung's own smartphones -- i.e., the millions of phones they make with smaller screens, lower battery capacity, and/or LCD screens.

With this latest campaign, I can't imagine how these hammy and ill-timed spots would bother anyone at Apple, especially since I'm not even sure that they have aired on any kind of paid media. Recall Samsung's much maligned Galaxy Gear skiing promo video. It was placed on YouTube and ridiculed on tech sites, but never aired on paid media. And Samsung has produced other similar promos that try to get a certain message across, but not via paid placements.

• Reply 71 of 105

Apple is absolutely going to crush Samsung in Q4. Tens of millions of folks ready and waiting to upgrade (like me). The pent-up demand is staggering.

Samsung is like a football team that will not stop blitzing. They might get to the QB once or twice, but then are going to absolutely get burned and beat with the strategy.

• Reply 72 of 105
    A lot of us Apple users do have screen envy but not O/S envy.
  • Reply 73 of 105
    solipsismx wrote: »
    When Apple's competitors stop taking potshots at Apple is when I'll be worried for Apple's future because that will mean Apple's mindshare and position in the market is no longer seen as threatening.

Yes. According to analysts, Samsung has overtaken Apple in the all-important measure (/s) of "marketshare." Yet Sammy is highly obsessed with "defeating" Apple again.

Looks like Samsung has a bad case of Apple-envy. :lol:
  • Reply 74 of 105
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    Hey Samscum! Thanks for spending your money to announce the new and bigger iPhone! Brilliant! You are marketing geniuses!
  • Reply 75 of 105
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,293member
    I guess Samsung would have to tread carefully here. By showing a rumor article from a magazine they're covering their asses by giving away inside information they might already know (because they're a supplier of LCD screens).
    Actually you have a good point there... By putting out an ad about an upcoming screen size increase for iPhone, they have just dug themselves a grave with Apple for leaking "trade secrets".

I smell another lawsuit... :smokey:
  • Reply 76 of 105
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

The hoary old Apple 5s AND the 5c are individually still outselling the squeaky new S5.

Don't you think the reason for that has less to do with the S5 lacking in popularity and more to do with there being so many choices the S5 has to compete against in the Android sphere?  If I want the latest and greatest iOS phone, I have one choice - the iPhone.  If I want the latest and greatest Android phone, I have numerous choices - the S5, the Note 3, the M8, the Nexus 5, the G3, the Moto X, the Xperia Z2, and then some niche products like the OnePlus One or the PadFone.  How could one of those phones ever sell in the numbers of the iPhone?  Saleswise I think Samsung peaked with the S4 because there are simply too many strong competitors in the high-end Android market now.

• Reply 77 of 105
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member

OS envy > screen envy

In my observation Android apps often fail to capitalise on the screen real estate afforded to larger devices in order to maintain compatibility with smaller screens on low-end devices.

Apple could easily have released a 6" iPhone two years ago but they understand that introducing new resolutions generates additional burden on developers. In my opinion, as impatient as I've been with them Apple have struck the right balance here and also in their more structured approach to things like inter-app communication. Android's solution to almost all of the software design challenges is to defer to developers and users to make their own custom solutions. Basically there is no difference to the design decisions that PCs made. Apple's stern approach to issues forward facing file systems, sand-boxing and extensibility feel like the way that computers should always have been designed. Now when I use a regular computer manually wrangling around with windows and files feels like an abstracted, low-tech approach to what is essentially the creation, presentation and consumption of content.

It's like Apple is the only tech company that's not completely asleep at the wheel. Microsoft's downfall will always have been assuming people "used Windows", when the OS was only ever a series of hoops that stood between the user and their content, and one that became increasingly grating over time. Google has tread a familiar path in their grab for OS market share and in order to shore up their ad business. At least they had the foresight to compete instead of sitting around waiting for Apple to cut them out of the search market.

If Samsung were smart they would have used the android market share and screen size carrot to leverage Tizen into the phone market and displace Android. Now they're about to concede one of their only market advantages and Apple is about to school them all over again on how to successfully launch a wearable.

The main KPIs to watch are customer satisfaction, usage, abandonment and major OS release uptake rates.

• Reply 78 of 105
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Rogifan,this time I agree with you 100%!

Samsung is promoting a rumor that Apple is coming out with a larger iPhone screen. The people who not aware of the rumors are being made aware of the rumors thanks to Samsung spending mucho money to promote the rumors. How stupid can this company get?

Anyone that's unaware of the rumor will not see this commercial.
  • Reply 79 of 105
    zozmanzozman Posts: 393member

The GS5 is an overrated piece of crap, I hate the douchery that comes across in samsung adds too, What people like about the iPhone, isn't even close to being done by samsung, build quality, simple & pretty UI, quality control in everything as well as apps (i know thats more Play store vs app store) & features that seem useful, Do they seem like samsung things?.

But i don't think they are all wrong, personally I'm all for a slightly bigger iPhone screen, The stats done lie, Apple sells more iPhones, Sammy sales have dropped.

I think apple can take some more customers of sammy by making a bigger screen iPhone, time will tell.

Id love to get a bigger screen iPhone :) 

Quote:

Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post

I think Samsung peaked with the S4 because there are simply too many strong competitors in the high-end Android market now.

You speak the truth, i have the HTC One M8, the build quality is actually very apple like, HTC licence to use apple IP to build a better phone really shows, The S4 sold really well, but I honestly hated that phone, i had one for a while, it did not live up to any hype in my eyes.

Samsung has the potential to make some great things, if they had their own ideas :p 

• Reply 80 of 105
    blazarblazar Posts: 270member
    hillstones wrote: »
    Apple is the one that continually sues Samsung, not the other way around.  Apple needs to end their obsession and just let them make phones.  People are smart enough to decide which phone they want.  Apple gave up fighting Microsoft years ago, and now look at their relationship.  If Apple releases larger iPhones, then they would be jumping on the bandwagon that other phone manufacturers started years ago.  You cannot dispute that.  I am looking forward to a 4.7" model to replace my old iPhone 4S, but I would not want a 5.5" model; that is way too big.

The general public has little concern or knowledge about lawsuits between companies... Especially worldwide. I doubt this is a concern for them. They can't make it too easy for others to copy them without the nuisance of litigation. Besides, others won't stop suing them either...