Apple makes first OS X Yosemite public beta available on the Mac App Store

Comments

• Reply 21 of 176
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,241member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by brlawyer View Post

So far, is it good enough to use on your main Mac or not? I am not gonna whine of course; just wanna know how much of a "beta" it really is as far as daily usage is concerned.

Apple isn't finished adding or changing things so my answer is no, I wouldn't put it on a production machine. It's good enough (no offense but I've always hated this slogan because it shows how people are willing to accept something that isn't very good) for testing.

• Reply 22 of 176
    brlawyerbrlawyer Posts: 828member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

This is a question that is always asked by people who shouldn't be installing it.

I am using it as my daily driver on an important work machine....WHY? Because I know what I'm doing, and when things go wrong, I can recover quickly. I can be back in business from a time machine backup, for either yosemite or mavericks, at any time i wish.

I've seen random kernel panics occur all the way up through and including DP4. There are major unresolved issues. If you don't know how to cope with the possibility that your machine might turn it off and lose or corrupt data at any moment....you don't belong anywhere near a "beta".

Please spare us from such condescending attitudes; I probably use Apple computers for a longer time than you do - but thanks for your answer in the third paragraph; I am not stupid and am aware of the risks, so will install it in a separate HD for now.

• Reply 23 of 176
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by TomMikele View Post

And here comes guys like tallest skill whose ego requires they demonstrate their unwarranted feelings of superiority and make buttwipse of themselves.

One down, 99,999 to go, apparently. :no:

• Reply 24 of 176
    Quote:

Originally Posted by rob53 View Post

Apple isn't finished adding or changing things so my answer is no, I wouldn't put it on a production machine. It's good enough (no offense but I've always hated this slogan because it shows how people are willing to accept something that isn't very good) for testing.

Great, thanks.

• Reply 25 of 176

:) great beta !!! is working flawlessly  on my Mac Pro 2009  , if this is the unfinished product , the final version will rock , super fast , reminds me more and more of OS 7 , and off course  the upcoming 8 , kudos !!!!:D 

• Reply 26 of 176
    iaeeniaeen Posts: 588member
    tommikele wrote: »
    And here comes guys like tallest skill whose ego requires they demonstrate their unwarranted feelings of superiority and make buttwipse of themselves.

TS is right. Every year people get ahold of bootleg copies of developer previews and whine incessantly about it being unstable.

It is perfectly reasonable to assume it will be at least as bad but probably worse than usual with Apple actively encouraging people to try it out.
  • Reply 27 of 176
    macbook promacbook pro Posts: 1,605member
    pmz wrote: »

This is a question that is always asked by people who shouldn't be installing it.

I am using it as my daily driver on an important work machine....WHY? Because I know what I'm doing, and when things go wrong, I can recover quickly. I can be back in business from a time machine backup, for either yosemite or mavericks, at any time i wish.

I've seen random kernel panics occur all the way up through and including DP4. There are major unresolved issues. If you don't know how to cope with the possibility that your machine might turn it off and lose or corrupt data at any moment....you don't belong anywhere near a "beta".

Same here.

I am using Apple OS X 10.10 Yosemite on my primary machine (have several others) but have a Time Machine backup.

I am seeing many kernel panics in Apple OS X 10.10 Yosemite DP 4 and would advise most people to not install the public beta at this time.
  • Reply 28 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

And here come 10,000 morons who install this and then whine about things being broken.

I got a beta invite and everything sucks and is broken. I'm going on the internet to complain. Hey everyone! I'm here to find people that agree with me. Yosemite beta sucks and is broken.

• Reply 29 of 176
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

Same here.

I am using Apple OS X 10.10 Yosemite on my primary machine (have several others) but have a Time Machine backup.

I am seeing many kernel panics in Apple OS X 10.10 Yosemite DP 4 and would advise most people to not install the public beta at this time.

Does Console give any clues as to why?

• Reply 30 of 176
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member
    Wake me when ready.
  • Reply 31 of 176
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,033member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Seems like Apple's servers are getting hammered. Plus some on MacRumors are having issues saying their code has already been redeemed. And people wonder why Apple doesn't do a public beta for iOS?

Probably because there's no way to bail out of beta iOS.

On a Mac, one can easily install Yosemite Beta on a different partition or separate drive (retaining Mavericks). That option is not available for iDevices.

• Reply 32 of 176

"Apple also recommends installing the OS X Yosemite Beta on a secondary Mac, since the software is still in pre-release testing and may contain issues."

Looks like user beware....your call...

• Reply 33 of 176
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by MJ Web View Post

Wake me when ready.

Between September 21 and December 21. Early hibernation, I guess.

• Reply 34 of 176
    sd-diversd-diver Posts: 54member
    I've created a 400 gb partition on my MBP. Not near the machine, but do I need to do a fresh install of 10.9.x before installing 10.10? Is it an upgrade or a full installer?
  • Reply 35 of 176
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    You aren't the only one agreeing with Tallest here. Just the issue with iCloud upgrade will cause the web to fill with years tomorrow.

Frankly it is all I can do to handle one Apple beta at a time! I'm finding iOS 8 to be very buggy on iPad.

rob53 wrote: »
    Actually I agree with Tallest Skil on this one. Apple is taking a huge chance opening up the Yosemite beta testing to anyone who signs up for free. If they've never dealt with beta software, and I'm not talking about some applications that are always in beta, they aren't aware of how much damage you can do to your Mac. Even though Apple states not to put this on a production system (I run all my betas on an external drive), people will ignore what they (don't) read and do it anyway. Once they find they can't go back to Mavericks, they'll start complaining. This happens with released software but it will be much worse with beta software. Apple can't test every way people use their Macs, which is why developers test them. 

If you're an ADC member, current or former, you would know this. Good luck testing Yosemite. I like it and I like the new features being added.
  • Reply 36 of 176
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mpantone View Post

On a Mac, one can easily install Yosemite Beta on a different partition or separate drive (retaining Mavericks). That option is not available for iDevices.

Yeah, I created another partition.  I expect problems -- possibly many -- but the only complaining I will do about them is here, to piss off TS. ;)

j/k

• Reply 37 of 176
    :)  great beta !!! is working flawlessly  on my Power Mac , if this is the unfinished product , the final version will rock , super fast , reminds me more and more of OS 7 , and off course  the upcoming 8 , kudos !!!!:D

Wait, Apple is releasing a PPC version? :lol:
  • Reply 38 of 176
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    mpantone wrote: »

It will be interesting to see how Apple's cloud services hold up this fall. Hopefully they're well prepared.
  • Reply 39 of 176
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

Wait, Apple is releasing a PPC version? image

Ahh, if only my old 17" TiPB weren't dead (from me spilling a Coke on while asleep one night). :)

• Reply 40 of 176
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    I actually sent Apple a bug report related to server issues with each iOS beta I've installed. The last time I spent more than an hour trying to get a downloaded beta to validate so it could install itself. Honestly they need to do better here.

In fact it was a few days later when I filled the report because most of developer.Apple.com wasn't even available.

I understand the strain of the mad rush but they really need to do better.
    rogifan wrote: »
    Seems like Apple's servers are getting hammered. Plus some on MacRumors are having issues saying their code has already been redeemed. And people wonder why Apple doesn't do a public beta for iOS?