Apple makes first OS X Yosemite public beta available on the Mac App Store

Comments

• Reply 121 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

Don't feed into the people on here that assumptions like that - I already got caught up in it yesterday. Some people are more sensitive to certain things than others - and some people just can't grasp that.

Having said that, there's probably a way to turn off the translucency... more than likely in the Accessibility System Preferences.

When I used the Mavericks beta last year, I remember it had UI glitches as well, but it was still very much usable.

Thanks.

Last year I felt very strongly about iOS7 (still do) and have put up with a lot of flak for voicing my concerns.  For example:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/159669/adoption-of-apples-ios-7-at-32-after-48-hours-outpacing-ios-6/120#post_2407543

(read a few posts down from there)

• Reply 122 of 176
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by luinil View Post

Is making a time machine backup and cutting Time machine in Yosemite a sufficient way to backup the system or do I need to make my backup on a separate drive ?

Major backups should always be done on a separate drive. Period. If not and the drive crashes, you're hosed. Hard drives or so cheap now, 3TB for ~$100.

1. I assume you only have one Mac and you want to install Yosemite on it?

2. Do you already have Time Machine running on your current system?

2a. And is that Time Machine backup on an external drive or the internal drive?

• Reply 123 of 176
    luinilluinil Posts: 59member

By separate drive I was saying not the Time Machine drive. Of course making backups on the same drive than the system would not have much meaning...

My Time Machine Backup is in a Time Capsule on a separate drive.

• Reply 124 of 176
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Nobodyy View Post

Well - BT 4.0 enabled cards are not required for Continuity to work, just the devices be on the same iCloud account and connected to the web in some fashion (Continuity includes features like SMS in Messages on Mac).

Oh okay. That's good to know... SMS was my biggest concern.

Thanks!

• Reply 125 of 176
    Quote:

Originally Posted by luinil View Post

By separate drive I was saying not the Time Machine drive. Of course making backups on the same drive than the system would not have much meaning...

My Time Machine Backup is in a Time Capsule on a separate drive.

I would still make a bootable backup of your system on another external drive, using a utility like CCC. If something catastrophic should go wrong, you could boot off of it and just copy it back onto your internal drive.

However if you have an external drive, why not install Yosemite beta on it?

But I would definitely NOT use your current Time Machine backup with Yosemite beta.

• Reply 126 of 176
    luinilluinil Posts: 59member

I was planing to cut Time Machine so it keeps the last backup under Mavericks until the release of the final version of Yosemite. 

Thanks for your help.

• Reply 127 of 176
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,009member
    I downloaded and installed on a fresh partion, ran all updates, but there is no Feedback Assistant - not in the menu, not in the dock, not in the library folder it's supposed to be...weird...
  • Reply 128 of 176
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Tallest Skil has been on my ignore list for a long time.  If I make his list of "morons" I don't know if I would be embarrassed.

Yeah, see, you don’t comprehend at all what my post said or what you’re even saying in reply to it. Try again, please.

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Does Yosemite essentially telegraph all retina products this fall? Or is that dependent on Intel?

Not sure what Intel has to do with anything. They don’t make panels.

• Reply 129 of 176
    iaeeniaeen Posts: 588member
    luinil wrote: »

I was planing to cut Time Machine so it keeps the last backup under Mavericks until the release of the final version of Yosemite. 

Thanks for your help.

This is what I am doing, but I am still creating a new partition for Yosemite. That way I still have access to all my files and programs under mavericks, and if Yosemite goes ape shit and destroys my main partition (as unlikely as that is), I can wipe and restore and be up and running again in about 12 hours.
  • Reply 130 of 176
    Spent a frustrating time trying to upgrade a Mavericks Parallels VM with this without success. It might just be my setup but maybe try to avoid this for now.
  • Reply 131 of 176
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleCrumble View Post

Spent a frustrating time trying to upgrade a Mavericks Parallels VM with this without success. It might just be my setup but maybe try to avoid this for now.

I bit the bullet and finally upgraded vmWare Fusion from v4 to the latest version 6. 

In the middle of installing it in virtual machine now. :-)

• Reply 132 of 176
    Quote:

Originally Posted by iaeen View Post

This is what I am doing, but I am still creating a new partition for Yosemite. That way I still have access to all my files and programs under mavericks, and if Yosemite goes ape shit and destroys my main partition (as unlikely as that is), I can wipe and restore and be up and running again in about 12 hours.

To be extra, extra safe... after you have everything setup... Boot in to Yosemite and create a simple Text Edit file. Edit it a few times. Then boot back in to Mavericks and make sure Mavericks can not only open it, but also access all the revisions.

I only say this, because there's a slight chance that Apple may have updated their document revisions system and it may not be backward compatible with older systems. You could potentially lose all previous versions of a document, if that's important to you or not?

• Reply 133 of 176
    ipenipen Posts: 410member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

And here come 10,000 morons who install this and then whine about things being broken.

That's what a beta program is for.  I won't call them morons but Apple's "free testers".  There should be a lot more than 10k people who're willing to spend a day to beta test the new OS.  

• Reply 134 of 176
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ipen View Post

That's what a beta program is for.  I won't call them morons but Apple's "free testers".  There should be a lot more than 10k people who're willing to spend a day to beta test the new OS.  

I think he's more or less referring to those people that install it thinking everything is going to work, without really understanding what a beta is. Happens all the time. They come on here pissed off that's something's not working the way it did before.

• Reply 135 of 176
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Not sure what Intel has to do with anything. They don’t make panels.
    I thought Apple needed Broadwell in order for retina Airs to be feasible. According to Patently Apple Intel has a new processor (14nm-core-m) that they're reserving for fanless 2 in 1 Windows laotops (so they can go fanless before the MBA does). Has Intel shut out Apple before? If true then I hope Apple is seriously looking into other options for future Macs.

http://www.patentlyapple.com/patently-apple/2014/07/intels-14nm-core-m-cpus-launch-this-fall-but-not-for-macs.html
  • Reply 136 of 176
    ernestuernestu Posts: 10member

I had the same problem. I called support, but ended up talking to someone in sales. They told me to go to the App Store app and click on purchases. Sure enough, the download got hung up. So, I just clicked on resume and it worked.

• Reply 137 of 176
    tommikeletommikele Posts: 599member

I don't disagree with what TS said, just the way he said it. He's right about huge numbers of people who will ask stupid questions, but was it necessary call them morons? Was talking down to people from behind the internet really necessary? I think not. Some civility would be more fitting.

• Reply 138 of 176
    tommikeletommikele Posts: 599member

The moron part wasn't necessary, was it?

• Reply 139 of 176
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ipen View Post

Though the number of comments flowing in to Apple will likely be huge and repetitive (thousands might comment on the exact same point), if they have a good system for processing them they could get a lot of good feedback that they could (just could) use to make the OS more appealing to more people.  Then again, there also will be a lot of users participating in the beta who are still not developers who have fairly specific needs/wishes and tastes, so the comments need to be analysed.  Sometimes it is good having complete outsiders (in this case relative newbies when it comes to computers) give feedback as they see things more settled users will gloss over.  Apple designs its stuff to be easy to use; who better than a low level user to test the ease?

• Reply 140 of 176
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by TomMikele View Post

He's right about huge numbers of people who will ask stupid questions, but was it necessary call them morons?

Yes; that’s what people who ask stupid questions are.

Was talking down to people from behind the internet really necessary? I think not. Some civility would be more fitting.

Yes, particularly since it is the Internet. You have the sum total of the freely available knowledge of all of humanity literally at your fingertips and you’re going to be stupid and lazy enough to not do any work of your own before whining to others thereon?

It’s as civil as they deserve.