Public beta launch nearly doubles OS X 10.10 Yosemite adoption despite download issues

Comments

• Reply 21 of 93

Just had another session with Yosemite.  Eyes started feeling strange after just five minutes.  I honestly do not know what the problem is; Target Display Mode (no problem with my Mac Pro)? font size? general fuzziness? translucency? lack of contrast?  disbelief at what I was looking at?  However, I forced myself to have a good look, and now thankfully am back on the iMac.  Needed a break and eyedrops first, though.  Seriously.

Just to check, I switched the display over to a cheap 22" 1920x1080 display with very visible pixels.  It actually looked a little better, perhaps because the low quality of the display matched my feelings of the quality of the Yosemite UI.  Yep; I just said that.

I have now spent two hours playing around with Yosemite.  That is all I can take.  I find it unusable.  Will be waiting for an update, but am not going to hold my breath that it will be improved. 

I went through System Prefs, Safari (YUCK), iTunes, Calculator, Calendar, and others.  Some functions I found interesting.  Some things were unfinished.  But the UI was nagging at me the whole time.  The UI should enable use of the machine, not inhibit.

I said it before and will now say it with even stronger conviction: Yosemite is not going on to any of my primary machines unless there is a major UI overhaul.

• Reply 22 of 93
    sandorsandor Posts: 658member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Just had another session with Yosemite.  Eyes started feeling strange after just five minutes.  I honestly do not know what the problem is; font size? general fuzziness? translucency? lack of contrast?  However, I forced myself to have a good look, and now thankfully am back on the iMac.  Needed a break and eyedrops first, though.  Seriously.

Just to check, I switched the display over to a cheap 22" 1920x1080 display.  It actually looked a little better, perhaps because the low quality of the display matched my feelings of the quality of the Yosemite UI.  Yep; I just said that.

I have now spent two hours playing around with Yosemite.  That is all I can take.  I find it unusable.  Will be waiting for an update, but am not going to hold my breath that it will be improved. 

I said it before and will now say it with even stronger conviction: Yosemite is not going on to any of my primary machines unless there is a major UI overhaul.

I bet your blink rate is slowing when you are looking at the new GUI (most likely because you are concentrating on it & its new details more so than the old GUI). It is well established that blink rates slow during periods of concentration, and when blink rates slow, the cornea begins to dry.

Coming from the world of ophthalmology, corneal dryness is one of the biggest reasons for tired, stressed, burning, stinging, strange and so one feelings in the eyes. The cornea is a majority of the refractive power of the eye, and is extremely fluid-sensitive & also extremely pain sensitive (hundreds of times greater pain sensitivity than human skin)

• Reply 23 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sandor View Post

I bet your blink rate is slowing when you are looking at the new GUI (most likely because you are concentrating on it & its new details more so than the old GUI). It is well established that blink rates slow during periods of concentration, and when blink rates slow, the cornea begins to dry.

Coming from the world of ophthalmology, corneal dryness is one of the biggest reasons for tired, stressed, burning, stinging, strange and so one feelings in the eyes. The cornea is a majority of the refractive power of the eye, and is extremely fluid-sensitive & also extremely pain sensitive (hundreds of times greater pain sensitivity than human skin)

Thanks for the concern, but I have a lot of experience with dry eyes and this feels very different.  I once got a similar feeling when I took a nice photograph and applied a ton of effects to it in Photoshop while just messing around; focus, color balance, many things.  

• Reply 24 of 93
    sandorsandor Posts: 658member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Thanks for the concern, but I have a lot of experience with dry eyes and this feels very different.  I once got a similar feeling when I took a nice photograph and applied a ton of effects to it in Photoshop while just messing around; focus, color balance, many things.  

Interesting, i was using it all day yesterday in the clinic (ophthalmic photography) (27" iMac, late-2013) and didn't notice any fuzziness at all - i was actually quite happy with the quality of the GUI and text in those terms.  I am happy that the fluff and wasted space of the past few versions of OS X are gone/more limited. 

I wonder if it is a GPU driver issue or something similar? 

I've got it installed on an external drive, so i might have to boot it up on some of our older iMacs to see if the appearance differs. 

• Reply 25 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sandor View Post

Interesting, i was using it all day yesterday in the clinic (ophthalmic photography) (27" iMac, late-2013) and didn't notice any fuzziness at all - i was actually quite happy with the quality of the GUI and text in those terms.  I am happy that the fluff and wasted space of the past few versions of OS X are gone/more limited. 

I wonder if it is a GPU driver issue or something similar? 

I've got it installed on an external drive, so i might have to boot it up on some of our older iMacs to see if the appearance differs. 

The fuzziness could be target display mode from my Mac mini.  I don't know.  The secondary display is fuzzy by default!

It could also be that I find the entire UI unrefined, sorta like iOS7, which I still consider an abomination to the eye.

• Reply 26 of 93

Turning the brightness down helps a lot.

• Reply 27 of 93
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Question for anyone who got the public beta ... Did/can you get XCode6 beta 4 too? I ask, because the Xcode beta includes the Swift Language and interactive Swift Playgrounds.
  • Reply 28 of 93
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MiaFin421 View Post

Downloaded/installed Yosemite with no issues! Yosemite rocks!!!

Apple period!

How can it "rock" when all the new features they demonstrated are not enabled in the Beta?  You cannot test any of the new features because iOS 8 is required on your iOS device, and they do not allow a public beta of that software.  The main features demonstrated will not be available until the software is officially released with iOS 8, so the public beta does not seem worth using or testing.  But hopefully many will give feedback on the awful use of transparency.  The early days of OS X had a large amount of transparency and throughout the years, it was toned down drastically, because overlapping windows bleeding through does not create a good working environment.  Just look at the transparent menu bar, which most people disable.  Random desktops wipe out the menu bar text and it is not consistent with any application, since the apps are not transparent.  Even Microsoft learned their mistake with their Aero theme.

• Reply 29 of 93
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by MarkyMarc43 View Post

iMessage doesn't seem to work in Yosemite. Anyone else experience this or have a solution?

Works fine.

• Reply 30 of 93
    hillstones wrote: »
    How can it "rock" when all the new features they demonstrated are not enabled in the Beta?  You cannot test any of the new features because iOS 8 is required on your iOS device, and they do not allow a public beta of that software.  The main features demonstrated will not be available until the software is officially released with iOS 8, so the public beta does not seem worth using or testing.  But hopefully many will give feedback on the awful use of transparency.  The early days of OS X had a large amount of transparency and throughout the years, it was toned down drastically, because overlapping windows bleeding through does not create a good working environment.  Just look at the transparent menu bar, which most people disable.  Random desktops wipe out the menu bar text and it is not consistent with any application, since the apps are not transparent.  Even Microsoft learned their mistake with their Aero theme.

Of course not all features are working hence the term "beta"...but for what has been released it Rocks! If you've not downloaded it and are not testing it - why are you wasting time commenting?
  • Reply 31 of 93

iMessage works (in general) - the only issue I've found thus far is there is an "error" (where Safari suddenly closes) when trying send a link from Safari via iMessage.

• Reply 32 of 93
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

You cannot test any of the new features...

Take your FUD and shove it, you useless, pathetic troll.

• Reply 33 of 93

Hysterical!!!  

Spending your Saturday talking "smack" on a blog...Umm I'd venture to guess that you're the pathetic one - get a life!  later dude

PS...Apple ROCKS - period!

• Reply 34 of 93

Adoption and metrics would be reflected as even higher if we could load Yosemite in a Parallels 9 VM...

• Reply 35 of 93
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil Anderson View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

OS X 10.10. It would be awesome if it shipped on Oct 10.

BTW, who was it that kept insisting Apple wouldn't call it 10.10 because that was numerically equal to 10.1?

How about OS X X.X

I dunno…that looks like OS Twenty-Ten to me...:)

• Reply 36 of 93
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    How about OS X X.X
    For the hardcore?
  • Reply 37 of 93
    Originally Posted by MiaFin421 View Post

Spending your Saturday talking "smack" on a blog...Umm Id venture to guess that youre the pathetic one...

Says the person doing it... :???: :rolleyes:

Why you’d be brain-dead enough to support hillstones is beyond me, but it’s clear you didn’t even read his post.

• Reply 38 of 93
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

I think it's pretty clear that he doesn't support hillstones post, given that hillstones was arguing against him in the first place and he already replied to the contrary.  Read more carefully TS, you're turning into everything you hate.

• Reply 39 of 93

Its working fine for me on my 2011 Mac Mini, dual display 22".  Nothing fuzzy, even worked on a project last night for a few hours in Illustrator, no tired or strained eyes at all. 

Only problem I've had so far was safari was non responsive after a restart.  

• Reply 40 of 93
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Works fine.

Well, so far, it's the only thing that doesn't work as it did before I installed Yosemite. I can't seem to find any way to get it working again. "Works fine" is not the most helpful reply to someone for whom it does not.